Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-10-01, 22:27
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Same here; this feels like an actual almost physical place that had a big role in me growing up. I think I first went on this forum when I was around 12 and actively started posting several years later.
There's some stuff that I missed during that beginning period, mainly because of my age age and english speaking skills. The whole IRC channel thing kind of went over my head as did the very first MBN IRL meetings.

But as the years went by I kept my enthousiasm for LBA, making games, and of course you fine people. I remember the RMP project and how exciting that all felt, and the impact on me of seeing The_Hens artwork. Later there was Jasieks project and some collaboration I did with Lightwing. It all played a big part in inspiring me to become a game artist, which is thankfully something I ended up making my profession.

Then theres the amazing moments where I actually met some of you. Jesse for instance I wanted to meet for some time, which quickly turned into him coming over and sitting in my backyard talking like we'd always known eachother. There's a school trip I remember, to London, where Kit showed up and totally made my day. Then theres the quite recent and amazing night out with Alexfont and his girlfriend near my work in Amsterdam.

There are really no words to describe what this place has meant for me and I really hope it stays alive forever and ever and ever.
Wow. That one was deep, you actually mention the things and events that made this place special... was nice reading this.

Reminds me to thank Alchemist which was the reason I even joined this forum, because he was posting some of his music in fan music (and some people think nobody checks that section of the forum!). His music was so great, and it was my brother who shown it to me, and I kept asking but "who did this? what do you mean this made by an amateur artist?! woah" then he talked to me about this 'forum', I was 13 and had no idea what forums were (my use of internet back then was mostly for school assignments and browing pictures of things I liked).

Then... this whole new realm of internet culture, interacting with people all over the world opened up in front of me, swarming me with a new kind of information, a new form of communication that totally bewildered my thirteen year old self.

And that prompted me to make games ("MBN and LBA!"), to participate with funny gifs in stuff like the Toss Up competitions, post tons of drawings in threads like the "ultimate sketch thread", and God, so so so so many things, that opened my mind, that made me think and grow and learn, that it would be unfair to leave them unlisted, so I better just stop.

I have to mention also the people I met and became good friends, really special and amazing people, the kinds that would only show up in MBN and in any other case I would have never been able to meet or know their existance.

And finally, my two week meeting with my (still) best friend Link aka Lupin, which was most important part of my life. And I really look forward to meet others whenever possible!

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2015-10-03, 06:49
Magic Level: Red Ball

Braaaainsss... er, greetings.
Great to see people still hang out here!
I still get LBA dreams occassionally
Old 2015-11-13, 15:40
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- Darkflame: New member? A_LIPSTICK is Elliptic a.k.a. ShootTheCactus. She has been here more time than me.
haha, that made me laugh. New member.....

I don't think looks have much to do with the activity. The game is just really, really old. But tbh I would be cool with a newer look and feel.
Old 2015-11-13, 15:42
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Same here; this feels like an actual almost physical place that had a big role in me growing up. I think I first went on this forum when I was around 12 and actively started posting several years later.
There's some stuff that I missed during that beginning period, mainly because of my age age and english speaking skills. The whole IRC channel thing kind of went over my head as did the very first MBN IRL meetings.

But as the years went by I kept my enthousiasm for LBA, making games, and of course you fine people. I remember the RMP project and how exciting that all felt, and the impact on me of seeing The_Hens artwork. Later there was Jasieks project and some collaboration I did with Lightwing. It all played a big part in inspiring me to become a game artist, which is thankfully something I ended up making my profession.

Then theres the amazing moments where I actually met some of you. Jesse for instance I wanted to meet for some time, which quickly turned into him coming over and sitting in my backyard talking like we'd always known eachother. There's a school trip I remember, to London, where Kit showed up and totally made my day. Then theres the quite recent and amazing night out with Alexfont and his girlfriend near my work in Amsterdam.

There are really no words to describe what this place has meant for me and I really hope it stays alive forever and ever and ever.
I feel the same. To be I couldn't make it to amsterdam that day.
Later on I met polly, wacko, elliptic and lupin/link.

And i actually was on the first meet in 2003
Old 2015-11-14, 13:50
Polly parrot

I remember our meet Couldn't stay as long as I wanted though. We took pics and then people here made fun of my pants

I haven't been very active in the past year, I have over 300 unread mails from the MBN forums... I think I should look into it, this would revive the activity a bit.

And I'm not worried about this place dying off, once Darkflame said that if it happens, he'll still post to himself here, and I definetely want to be around to see that
Old 2015-11-14, 15:34
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I'll be a senile old man posting to himself :P
Old 2015-11-14, 16:03
Magic Ball Master

And we will be senile old people reading to it
Old 2015-11-14, 16:07
Neko

Me too. This Place Will be around
Old 2015-11-14, 17:16
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Wow so now any thread in which even a single post criticizes the EU gets removed or hidden? Has MBN really come from extreme allowance to extreme censorship now? I could swear there was a thread by ChaosFish in Off-topic about the Paris stuff of last night, and now it's gone, surprise surprise after I criticized the EU there.
Old 2015-11-14, 19:16
weee

I deleted my own thread, no fascism here... it just felt bad and I regretted making it. I'm not even taking a side on the argument.
Old 2015-11-14, 22:01
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- ChaosFish: Ahhh, OK then. Well I do admit I went a bit overboard, thing is, I'm just pissed off because Europe is being ruined because our leaders don't know how to run a country, let alone a supranational entity. That's all.
Old 2015-11-15, 00:06
Polly parrot

We should live the only way that's left, taking our instruments and playing music along our journeys.
Seriously, I can't wait to do it.
Old 2015-11-15, 14:09
Welcome to Zirla!

- Polaris: So sit back and do nothing? Jesus H. Christ, what have Europeans become... if people did this in the 1940's, we would all be speaking German today and have a Europe full of statues of Adolf Hitler. Sigh, I guess you people are fine with Europe slowly becoming the land of Allah.
Old 2015-11-15, 15:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Christians make up around 70% of europe.
Muslims around 6%. (growing to a staggering 8% by 2030...)

If theres any steady pattern over the last decade its the decline of theism of all types.

Also, Battler I know you have strong opinions, but lets not Godwin this.
Old 2015-11-15, 15:47
Polly parrot

Sorry DF, but I must answer to his Godwin point '

If people did this in the fourties, no one would've invaded Poland to start with.

It's not sitting back and doing nothing, it's not being aggressive.
This is not my war Battler, I just want to live a peaceful and happy life, I don't care which culture I live in. If the place I'm at doesn't fit my needs, I'll go elsewhere, trying to get fully accepted by a society is a useless effort.
Old 2015-11-15, 15:58
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Wow so now any thread in which even a single post criticizes the EU gets removed or hidden? Has MBN really come from extreme allowance to extreme censorship now? I could swear there was a thread by ChaosFish in Off-topic about the Paris stuff of last night, and now it's gone, surprise surprise after I criticized the EU there.
You always conclude the worst
First kasia ban which was voluntarily and now this
Old 2015-11-15, 16:17
Sheepie for short

Hello.

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2015-11-15, 18:06
Polly parrot

OMG, A GUY I ONLY READ ABOUT IN ARCHIVES !!! Such an honour to meet you kind sir, back in 2006/07 I had a lot of pleasure going through your LBA screenshot page, such a shame that the adventures of giant Twinsen are now gone from the internet
Old 2015-11-15, 18:51
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
You always conclude the worst
First kasia ban which was voluntarily and now this
Old 2015-11-16, 23:39
Magic Ball Master

You say the MBN is dying, but reading this thread I see everything is still in place. Feels like 2006 all over again.

It isn't MBN without OBrasilo.
Old 2015-11-17, 09:35
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post

True, we need the main players.
Old 2015-11-17, 09:36
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
You say the MBN is dying, but reading this thread I see everything is still in place. Feels like 2006 all over again.

Good to see you back

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-11-19, 11:39
Previously Link

Just thought I'd bump into this thread to say I feel like most of you guys.
Still lurking around once in a while. A bit sad that this place is mostly dead.
Old 2015-11-19, 17:39
LOLwut?

The MBN dying? Nah...we always have some slow moments now and then.

Can't believe I've been around almost 8 years already, holy shit (plus one year more or less lurking, since Fred got knighted).

I'm going to be completely unoriginal and say that I came for the games and stayed for the people. You guys are so much fun to be around. Even reading old threads is fun.

Btw: does anyone knows what's DoubleJ up to? Either he changed his name and I missed it or he hasn't visited in years. Miss the guy.

And I still want to meet some of you in real life, someday. Don't close down the forums before that!

Old 2015-11-19, 21:18
Polly parrot

Double-J took down his avatar and signature and left about two years ago Lot of conjecture, but no one really knows why

Double-J if you're reading this, come back and I'll mail you a ps1 edition of LBA1, I know you've been looking for it