Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-09-01, 20:29
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Animal killing

To continue the good trend we are currently seeing in the MBN, I hereby introduce yet another topic of discussion - Animal hunting and animal killing. Is this wrong or right if it comes to making things we don't need to survive, like fur clothes or perfume. Is it OK if its done for medical purposes? For sport (like English fox hunting)? To keep the population of a specie under a certain level (like Swedish beer and elk/moose hunting)? Discuss, please.
Old 2005-09-01, 20:50
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
ANIMALS JUST WANT TO LIVE.
FFS, LET THEM LIVE.

Hunting should be banned.
And the meat industry should try to avoid cruelty to animals.
(for example the way they shove pipes down the throats of geese and shovel food in them to make them all nice and plump)
We need to kill animals because it's part of our diet, but it's not to much too ask not make the animals suffer before we kill it.
Old 2005-09-01, 20:56
weee

I think you will find this very interesting.
Old 2005-09-01, 21:41
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
That's great!
Old 2005-09-01, 22:05
master of electronica

They can be killed for food and medical purposes, and it must be in a way which reduces the pain to a minimal level. We have no right to inflict pointless pain upon other creatures, and it makes us worse people if we enjoy/are fine with animals being hurt. Killing animals for sport or pleasure is wrong.

I'm undecided about killing them for fur. I mean, the stone age human beings killed animals and used their hides for clothing, and that's fine. But the way animals are killed today and the way clothes are mass-produced means the issue is more difficult to sort out imho.
Old 2005-09-01, 22:07
Do the evolution.

Aaaah, the farmers lobby will destroy it, and the green parties will condemn the Idea as unhealty (like their trying to do with hydroponic, or genetically modified food), and of course the religious masses will condemn the Idea as "playing in God", and becouse of those jerks, fueled by the lobbists most of the people will be uncertain of the Idea of meat production, so they won't buy it, and the production will be on a minor scale(if at all), I just hope nothing like this happens, but all those people proven to me again and again that they are capable of destroing everything good that science gives us, either make it a weapon, or destroy the project cause it will cause financial trouble for some of the wealthier companies who don't give a damn about common good.
Old 2005-09-01, 22:07
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
I'm pro-population control.
There is simply no use in letting a population get out of hand in areas where there is no way to introduce natural regulators (such as wolves, lynxes or other light-growing hunters).
To hunt for fun seems to be utterly distasteful. I'm sure there are better ways to feel like a man than to go and kill off things (except if they're digital )
I also think that keeping animals just for their pelts is rather useless as well since we only keep them for their pelts and for nothing else. It seems a waste of energy and these animals are known to be very destructive once they get away (which is why I think radical animal activists are among the stupidest human beings in the world, considering how often 'freed' predators have decimated a population of rare animals in no time).

Medical purpose is a different story, it's no way different than killing an animal for food. I am however against the practise of vivesection because it hardly ever is justified.

Finally, I prefere to buy freerange stuff since I don't think an animal should suffer needlessly for economical purposes. That and the meat tastes so much nicer
Old 2005-09-01, 22:24
Master of Science & Magic

nature will take care of itself.
Old 2005-09-01, 23:08
strange dreamer

At last, this obvious topic has emerged...

well I'd like you all to take special attention to my favorite animal, simply because it's so cute.

Anyway does anyone knows an australian animal called numbat? well search it, its a specie in extinction, only exists in zoo's in Aus and if anyone can contribute on the preservation of it, we'd all be glad!

Cheers.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Just a little seed, makes a big tree, Standing on its own, thriving all alone
Old 2005-09-01, 23:35
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid
At last, this obvious topic has emerged...

well I'd like you all to take special attention to my favorite animal, simply because it's so cute.

Anyway does anyone knows an australian animal called numbat? well search it, its a specie in extinction, only exists in zoo's in Aus and if anyone can contribute on the preservation of it, we'd all be glad!

Cheers.
Let's wait for the "Numbats are TeH FLUFFY" posts
Old 2005-09-01, 23:57
Sheepie for short

Animal testing for medical purposes is fine, but for cosmetics I don't think so. If the suffering of animals causes human lives to be saved then that's great. But the suffering should be minimised as much as possible - which I believe it is, at least in this country.

And free-range all the way - battery farming is unnecessarily cruel and bad for the environment as well.

During the time when British Parliament was discussing whether to ban fox hunting, the main thing I was thinking was not "Yay they might get rid of a cruel sport" but more like "Surely they should be thinking about more important things, like human poverty and increasing aid/debt relief/etc.?".

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2005-09-02, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid
Why? Species get extinct, start to live with it. When one species is gone a new one could take its place. If you try to "preserve" a species you will decrease the chance of survival of an other species.
For some reason people think it's their job to "fix" nature. How on earth would you know when you're right and when you're wrong. There are enough examples where they've been wrong. Introducing animals in places where they shouldn't have been, or cross breeding gone bad.
Old 2005-09-02, 01:30
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13
Let's wait for the "Numbats are TeH FLUFFY" posts
Sounds like something I would say
Old 2005-09-02, 02:16

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
Why? Species get extinct, start to live with it. When one species is gone a new one could take its place. If you try to "preserve" a species you will decrease the chance of survival of an other species.
For some reason people think it's their job to "fix" nature. How on earth would you know when you're right and when you're wrong. There are enough examples where they've been wrong. Introducing animals in places where they shouldn't have been, or cross breeding gone bad.

It's our job to fix it if we broke it.
Old 2005-09-02, 04:36

Nature will take of it; it is way more powerful that humans will ever be.
other animals also break things, and whatever they broke will be fixed (over time).

Start a nuclear war and destroy the whole planet if you want to, cockroaches will be one of the few organism that will survive, the others well.. are gone. But new organism will emerge.

The only thing humans will have to do is make sure they don't destroy their own chance for survival, and apperentl it's difficult enough for them already.
Old 2005-09-02, 05:13

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Sorry, but I think it's only fair that when you break something, it's your responsibility to fix it.

And yeh, nature is strong as ever, and no global warming or deforestation will ever destroy it. But then, nature is basically an "inanimate" object. And yes, in due time, new species will emerge after a fallout.

But the thing is, the topic isn't addressing us killing nature. It's addressing us killing other beings. We're talking about uneccessary murder. We're talking about skinning animals alive, shooting them for sport (without the purpose of eating them or controlling populations), and various other torture before slaughter.

Screw exctinction of species. The subject at hand is individual murder, and nothing, not even nature can compensate for that.
Old 2005-09-02, 12:15
weee

I think we need to make a clear border between human culture and nature.
El is talking about mother nature and about how humans are not all that strong, while Lightwing is talking about human culture and how we should fix what we broke.
I think they both right. It's just 2 different perspectives.
Old 2005-09-02, 15:26

controlling populations: bullshit, not needed.
shooting for sport: it's ok (but only when shooting humans for sport is also allowed, humans are animals too).
skinning animals alive: must be way more difficult than first killing them and then skin them.
fur clothes is like leather shoes, if you breed the animal and not kill wild animals, then it's ok
Old 2005-09-02, 18:36
Sheepie for short

Controlling populations is often needed if a species is causing damage to something. For example, I read today that rabbits are destroying Hadrian's Wall.

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2005-09-02, 18:53
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Discussing this thing is hard for me cause i know so little about it.

However, i think its a kinda good system now, when some bad kind of hunting is illegal and the good one legal , well, wont be surprised if im totally wrong.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2005-09-02, 20:25
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
Exactly. Part of it, cos sometimes it is OUR job to fix the nature if something WE done went wrong. Lemme tell you a little story (i made ) about the numbats:

They were fine in Australia
Until humans came
They were peaceful
They were lame

Humans brought foxes, dogs and wild cats
What could be the destiny, of the poor numbats?

Slowly yet cruel, the numbats were decimated
The new animals had 'em exterminated

Are you saying they deserved?
That they shall not be preserved??

A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Just a little seed, makes a big tree, Standing on its own, thriving all alone

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2005-09-02 at 20:31.
Old 2005-09-02, 20:47
weee

You should own a discovery channel show Kiddo
Old 2005-09-02, 21:21
Look beyond reality.

Sounds like a rap to me ^^
Old 2005-09-02, 22:03
weee

He can call the Show "Discoverap".
Old 2005-09-03, 00:08
Still in a dream...

Killing for medicine? Yes. I think we should, maybe for subjective reasons, but also because I think our survival is important, even if at the expense of other creatures.

For pleasure/wanton reasons? No. I think these people should be punished, with jail terms. Animal cruelty for pleasure is something I am really against. What is the point? If hurting a defenceless animal which is smaller than you is the only way to feel "big", then action needs to be taken.

For fur/perfume? Same as above. Fur I think is in bad taste anyway, and as for perfume, well, we can live without it. It's not NECESSARY. Nor is the pain/distress caused to animals.