Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2013-05-13, 22:27
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Well then I wonder why I am considered unfit for moderating LBA Modifications General, considering how much I contributed to the LBA Modifications scene. I think Zink and I should be moderators of that section given our enormous amounts of contributions there, of both modification programs and knowledge.
To be honest, alexfont is barely active these days why I am on on a daily basis for hours a day. The other moderator of LBA Modifications General, ChaosFish, has even left the forum. So that section is right now with zero active moderators.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:28
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
This is only a theory of the difference. In fact, I do believe that you should be able to see the moderators forum (although not reported posts, those are not your responsibility).
I beg to differ. I think any post reports regarding the sections I am a moderator of, are my responsibility so I should those, but only those.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:31
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I beg to differ. I think any post reports regarding the sections I am a moderator of, are my responsibility so I should those, but only those.
We can still see them and deal with them.
You wouldn't be able t act on it anyway, you can't infract someone for example.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:34
Welcome to Zirla!

No, but I can edit or delete posts.
And you know, then why bother being a moderator of my own section when I need to rely on higher-ranked moderators to moderate the section? It's like assigning a police station to a district but telling them that any calls to 911 should be handled by the general city police department instead.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:39
Neko

Quote:
No, but I can edit or delete posts.
And you know, then why bother being a moderator of my own section when I need to rely on higher-ranked moderators to moderate the section? It's like assigning a police station to a district but telling them that any calls to 911 should be handled by the general city police department instead.
I'm rather sure for infraction you'd still need a supermod. Jack: I think you can't infract someone can you?

Personally I don't see why we would need specific moderators at all for subforums for the same reason, except maybe to close threads and edit or delete offtopic content.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:42
Welcome to Zirla!

Well, then feel free to demote me. But then I will move all discussion about my project to my own forum as without being a moderator of the section, I won't even be able to edit my own old posts to update information, because of how this forum is configured.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:47
Neko

Quote:
Well, then feel free to demote me. But then I will move all discussion about my project to my own forum as without being a moderator of the section, I won't even be able to edit my own old posts to update information, because of how this forum is configured.
I'm not demoting anybody.
For editing, deleting and updating stuff it's good to have a subforummoderator I guess.
But I wouldn't really compare it with the police as you cannot punish people.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:17
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
The difference is that J McKalling is a moderator of an "official" MBN forum (don't get all defensive about this if you're not sure what I mean), whereas you are only the moderator of your own projects.
Ok, that makes sense! Thanks.

Quote:
This is only a theory of the difference. In fact, I do believe that you should be able to see the moderators forum (although not reported posts, those are not your responsibility).
Aaaaand, lost me again...
I agree Battler should be able to see the public mod forum, but I also think he's referring to the one with the infractions in the first place. "Mod forum" refers to the section containing the threads only mods may see, not the one about the mods. Man I keep getting the feeling my logic only makes it worse here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I'm rather sure for infraction you'd still need a supermod. Jack: I think you can't infract someone can you?
Nope, Kitarii's job. And yours.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:30
Welcome to Zirla!

Well, then why can't I see the public mod forum?
Old 2013-05-13, 23:37
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Ok, that makes sense! Thanks.

Aaaaand, lost me again...
I agree Battler should be able to see the public mod forum, but I also think he's referring to the one with the infractions in the first place. "Mod forum" refers to the section containing the threads only mods may see, not the one about the mods. Man I keep getting the feeling my logic only makes it worse here...

Nope, Kitarii's job. And yours.
I disagree. Anyone who has been banned once on the mbn for me isn't fit to read there. We wouldn't be able to freely discuss stuff if the same offender later gets acces to these places.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:41
Welcome to Zirla!

Ah, so bans from 8-9 years ago still count. Well, goodbye MBN then. Why bother contributing if I'll always be scarred by bad things I did as a teenager.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:46
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
I disagree. Anyone who has been banned once on the mbn for me isn't fit to read there. We wouldn't be able to freely discuss stuff if the same offender later gets acces to these places.
Well, I obviously can see where that comes from, and I won't argue against it.
But I wasn't really trying to convince you of any opinion, I missed the part where Battler has had offences in the past.

However, still not trying to argue, are you really sure someone who has been banned at some point in the past, may never have access to that forum? Or are you just concerned about the specific conversations regarding the case itself, that such member should not be able to see?

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:48
Welcome to Zirla!

Well, in my specific case, my last Ban was in 2005... that's 8 years ago. I don't see why I should be deliberately barred from anywhere solely because of Bans from so long ago. That's like refusing to promote an employee because they've been in jail for drunk driving 8 years before.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:49
Polly parrot

Quote:
You're referring to Battler ?
Old 2013-05-13, 23:51
Welcome to Zirla!

He is. Apparently, I should be barred from any promotion for life because I was punished twice 8-9 years ago, regardless of how much I've improved since. Talk about living in the past...
Old 2013-05-13, 23:52
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
You're referring to Battler ?
Yes, but also in general.

I basically think any mod should have been free from any infraction.

Also, it's not fair for the then active mods that their private discussion is suddenly accesible to the offender as well.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:54
Welcome to Zirla!

Well, then give me a reason to keep contributing to this forum considering I'm effectively barred from any promotion for life, no matter how outstandingly I contribute. Because at the moment all I heard from you is "you did crap in the past, so you're unfit forever". Which is quite surprising to hear coming from someone like you who has told me many times to get over the past.
Old 2013-05-14, 00:04
Neko

Quote:
Well, then give me a reason to keep contributing to this forum considering I'm effectively barred from any promotion for life, no matter how outstandingly I contribute. Because at the moment all I heard from you is "you did crap in the past, so you're unfit forever". Which is quite surprising to hear coming from someone like you who has told me many times to get over the past.
So you are only posting here to achieve your goal of getting a 'promotion'?
Your goal is to become a mod?

Oh and: letting go of the past and forgetting the past are two completely different things.
In this case my preference (but this is my personal preference, not an official standpoint or whatever) is that a mod should be neutral. So both offenders and victims aren't great choices.
Old 2013-05-14, 00:17
Welcome to Zirla!

No, my goal is not to become a moderator. But there's one thing simply not being a moderator, and it's another thing knowing I will never be one due to past offenses. Since that's basically telling me "Hey dude, you can contribute all you want, you'll always be a lesser member because of past offenses." Do you really not see how much this attitude hurts me?
Also, as Kitarii clearly explained to me in public here on the MBN, noone is perfectly neutral and unbiased, it's natural for people to have bias. Which means there is not a single person on this world who is completely 100% neutral, so therefore looking for 100% neutrality in a moderator is just bad.
And not like you even know that much of me. You only judge me from what little you see here on this forum... why not talk to me outside the forum for a prolonged period and then forming an opinion of me? Then maybe you'll realize I'm not as bad of a person as you seem to think I am.
And what do you know about my ability to moderator? That's right, zero. You can go to #abandonet @ irc.ringoflightning.net and ask people there how I run the channel, and the forum. You'll see I run it maturely, neutrally and with no bias. So why not go and observe me in action rather than making a judgement about my ability to moderate based on nothing.

Last edited by Battler; 2013-05-14 at 00:25.
Old 2013-05-14, 00:22
Polly parrot

Quote:
Yes, but also in general.

I basically think any mod should have been free from any infraction.

Also, it's not fair for the then active mods that their private discussion is suddenly accesible to the offender as well.
You sure don't forgive easily...
Oh, you mean the mods who were active when the banned guy was banned ?
Didn't think of that...
Old 2013-05-14, 00:28
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Why not just delete that discussion or move it elsewhere then? It's certainly better than blacklisting a person for life.
Old 2013-05-14, 08:18
Neko

Quote:
Why not just delete that discussion or move it elsewhere then? It's certainly better than blacklisting a person for life.
That would be a good idea.

@polaris, I wasn't a mod then.

@battler, first of all it's not up to me at all. Secondly mods aren't 'higher' so there's no 'lesser' members. You seem rather obsessed with status and power.
Old 2013-05-14, 10:16
Welcome to Zirla!

You misunderstood me completely. With "lesser member", I meant a lesser variant, class or caste of regular member, with less possibility of upwards mobility.
And I don't care about status or power, I do care about the public perception of me, however, and about my own self-confidence... and getting told that I'll always be a bad guy because of stupidities I did as a teenager is quite a blow.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:49
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Battler, did you read the part where Jesse says it's not up to him anyway?

Why are you still trying to convince him?

Shouldn't you be saying all of this to DF/EL?

Also you're saying your self confidence is affected by things that happen on the MBN? That's not normal, man.
Old 2013-05-14, 12:10
Welcome to Zirla!

I just want to be accepted by people, and every time there's any hindrance to that, that feels like a blow to me.