Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > TwinEngine
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

TwinEngine An opensource reimplementation of the Little Big Adventure game engine. Project Site

Old 2008-05-19, 01:23

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
We support you all the way. Only thing is you probably need lots of help to make significant / quick progress. We need to get as many programmers on MBN community to help with this engine.
Old 2008-05-19, 09:33
Fruto di tutti frutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
While making samples playing in FLA, I notice some of the files aren't well saved in HQR originaly. The first byte is 0 instead o the ascii character 'C'. This byte are part of the 'Creative Voice File' header which is needed for players to recognize the VOC version.
I didn't make yet samples to read directly from the HQR but this must be always checked and fixed while decompressing the file from HQR.
Alex, the first 0 is not wrong. In this way it is marked that hidden entries are present after the entry. The next hidden entries also have 0s as the first byte, and the last hidden entry in the sequence has 1.
Old 2008-05-19, 16:51
Magic Ball Master

We haven't talked about this much, but will this engine allow us to eliminate the autosaving setup of the LBA 1 engine in favor of LBA 2's style save system? I hated the old system. Could we at least make it an option for those who like/dislike the old system?
Old 2008-05-19, 20:22

I would guess that the saving system works based on the hard coding of scenes. The code would need lines of script that save out the location/animated position of every actor on screen. I'm assumming that LBA's files don't even have empty functions/methods for that. Which means that people like Zink and Alexfont would have to hard code all that stuff in there.

If they can do it, kudos to them. I'll bring cookies and milk.
Old 2008-05-19, 22:38
Magic Ball Master

Yes its possible to do such thing. I can change the in-game menu to have a save option like:
- Continue game
- Save game
- Quit game

Giving the option to choose the original method and this one will be better.

Some updates:
- Btw, I just realise I will need to remake the HQR load routines :/
- Already make the new image fade in and fade out. Cross fade won't be available in FLA movies, we will stick like the original.
- Playing VOC samples avoid playing mp3 correctly because we must setup a audio frequence while initializing the engine. I don' know how we'll fix this. Can we have an option to, if we choose mp3, all sample files must be on mp3, including the sound fx?!
- PLaying xmidis won't be easy. LBA uses a diferent midi format which isn't so compatible out there. Maybe we'll need to make some direct file parsing which isn't easy.

Zink, I didn't get what you mean. In FLASAMP.HQR aren't any hidden entry. If you extract some of the entries you will notice they don't have the C at beginning of the file which causes a file fault.

The Sacred Carrot website

Last edited by xesf; 2008-05-19 at 23:19. Reason: add more updates
Old 2008-05-20, 23:41
Magic Ball Master

Guys I need to know what best option I need to follow about LBA sounds.

I getting problems to make Prequengine to work with VOC 11Hz 8 bit together with MP3 44.1Hz because I must set Audio frequency when the engine start. That way I'm not able to change frequency whaever I need, at least I didn't find anything like this on SDL_mixer I'm using.

Now the question is, should we have an option to choose play with original sounds or change to play everything on MP3 or ogg?! This will imply we won't be able to use any more voc or midi, but instead we will replace or convert the needed voc (if thats the case) to MP3.

Let me know what you all think about it. I can make it use mp3 and ogg but not together with voc. Its important in this stage so I can follow a good track and start planning how the things may work in future.

Old 2008-05-21, 00:15
Magic Ball Mister

I choose OGG.
Better quality, smaller sizes compared to MP3 - and we can always convert the samples to 44.1khz... just won't use the whole spectrum.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:32
Look beyond reality.

I'm not too worried about the quality, and I prefer MP3. Could it be possible for users to place their own mp3's in the folder to replace the originals?
Old 2008-05-21, 11:42
Magic Ball Master

Yes, will be possible, even choose between ogg and mp3. Still, I was thinking about readning the MP3/OGG directly from HQR files and not as single files, so we can have them organized.

Old 2008-05-21, 11:58
Look beyond reality.

Do whatever fits. However it would definitely sound great.

Prequel, with patented QuickChange(tm) Music Replace System (c)
Old 2008-05-21, 16:47
Magic Ball Master

OGG sounds fine to me.
Old 2008-05-21, 23:34
Magic Ball Master

Well, the main question was actually what is the process I choose to change from original sample to high quality samples, if I can assume if we use Mp3 or OGG all the game will use them and won't use the original files. Also I was thinkng to create HQR files with mpe/ogg inside

Old 2008-05-22, 12:29
Fruto di tutti frutti

I checked that and you're right that some of the files have 0 at the beginning. I have no idea why they did so, especially that not all the files are this way, but only like first 33.

I'm for ogg/mp3 instead of originals. Yes, we will have to convert the original sounds, but it will give us more good than bad. Especially that most of the sounds (dialogs) will be changed anyway. It's also good idea to put a switch to the config file so people could choose to use original sounds. I think we should put them into HQRs (except for the music maybe), but with different names, like flas_mp3.hqr instead of flasamp.hqr, so both original and converted sounds could exist together.
Old 2008-05-22, 16:20
Magic Ball Master

Exactly what I had in mind.

Here's what I suggest for the file names:
- flasamp.hqr -> flasamp_mp3.hqr - flasamp_ogg.hqr
- samples.hqr -> samples_mp3.hqr - samples_ogg.hqr
- samples.hqr -> samples_mp3.hqr - samples_ogg.hqr
- midi_mi_win.hqr -> music_mp3.hqr - music_ogg.hqr
- vox/en_game.vox - vox/en_game_mp3.vox - vox/en_game_ogg.vox (etc.)
- CD tracks -> music/_tracknumber_.mp3 - music/_tracknumber_.ogg (where _tracknumber_ be from 1 to 9)

Everyone OK with that?

I'll put a config file to chosse between MP3 and OGG (we could use both) and switch from original to one of this options.

Ah, btw, LbaWin make a xmidi convertion from files midi_mi.hqr and midi_sb.hqr to a normal midi format under midi_mi_win.hqr. I can play this LbaWin midi convertion without problems and I was thinking to actually use it like it was from the original, its that a problem?! Otherwise I would need to make my own convertion from xmidi to common midi file.

Use this will give more progress in the project.

Old 2008-05-22, 21:44
Magic Ball Master

I've got the game to play midi files under midi_mi_win.hqr and samples from hqr as well.
Also fixed a huge memory allocation leak while playing FLA movies.

Old 2008-05-22, 21:56
Magic Ball Master

Very nice Alex!
Old 2008-05-25, 19:30
Magic Ball Master

I made the first SVN port here: http://prequengine.svn.sourceforge.n...c/prequengine/

Old 2008-05-25, 20:50
Magic Ball Master

What does that do Alex?
Old 2008-05-25, 20:53
Magic Ball Master

I release the first version of the code to public.
SVN helps to have all code version we develop in the engine, giving different revisions numbers. It will have various members to use always the last updated code and also helps by merging different codes from different persons. Also it could make people see the project and help out

Old 2008-05-25, 21:40
Magic Ball Master

Ah, okay. Very cool!
Old 2008-05-26, 10:24
Magic Ball Master

Well, I notice some few warnings on unix and also some problems reading fla movies and allocating memory for it. It will probably need an intermediare file reader with a small buffer to not increase alot the memory allocation when we read big files like fla. This will be my next step since this filereader may be used for other things like HQR depack.
Sounds seams to be played but I don't have sure since I'm runing ubuntu from a VMWare and I don't have any sound there, but still, the game doesn't give any error in this point.
I need also now to test in Mac OS to see how its work.

Old 2008-06-02, 11:25
Magic Ball Master

While we were eating cookies at the meeting I was also continue the work on prequengine .
I manage to load and display grids, fast and with few memory usage. Still have a little memory leak I didn't find yet, but its a minor thing. Anyway, I need to comment all the code and improve it a little to went for the next step.

Old 2008-06-04, 01:01

I am eager with anticipation. You're making fantastic progress!
Old 2008-06-05, 01:12
Magic Ball Master

I'm trying the best I can with the few time I'm speding on it. Btw, I just commit the last update on SVN.

Old 2008-06-05, 05:08

I wasn't being sarcastic, fyi.