Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2022-11-21, 10:06
Magic Level: Water Ball

You reopened it just to say you enjoyed it ? Being a mod here seems sweet at times
Old 2022-11-21, 10:22
Neko

if morshem is still pissed we can re-close it
Old 2022-11-21, 20:08
inharmonic explorer

Oh my days. It’s cringey af to see my old posts and they are often awful, but I can’t deny that some of this made me laugh out loud…I forgot how dry and excellent Snapman’s sense of humour was.

(I hope no “real life” person, through a bizarre twist of fate, finds anything of mine here from previous years and connects it to me. We’re in the age where something you said as a 14 year old on a forum can do strange things!)

Thank you for uh…reviving this Jess. :-D

Last edited by CS2x; 2022-11-21 at 23:33.
Old 2022-11-26, 14:56
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I was wondering how comes nobody told poor morshem earlier that it's all irony, but I see it happened all in a day. I don't like it, but if I was 14 I would have acted the same.

I think it's an interesting question how much society should take into account people who don't get "common sense" things, like the people in the U.S. that could sue microwave manufacturers after trying to dry a cat in it. Or some people fall off cliffs while trying to take a selfie. And some people are really bad at recognizing when someone's joking.
Old 2022-11-26, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
I think it's an interesting question how much society should take into account people who don't get "common sense" things, like the people in the U.S.
A recurring joke in U.S. sitcoms is people that hold up a sign with "sarcasm" written on it to someone who didn't get it... I've always wondered if that being such a popular joke there, meant the average American catches sarcasm less than other people...
Old 2022-11-27, 04:00
inharmonic explorer

Quote:
I was wondering how comes nobody told poor morshem earlier that it's all irony, but I see it happened all in a day. I don't like it, but if I was 14 I would have acted the same.

I think it's an interesting question how much society should take into account people who don't get "common sense" things, like the people in the U.S. that could sue microwave manufacturers after trying to dry a cat in it. Or some people fall off cliffs while trying to take a selfie. And some people are really bad at recognizing when someone's joking.
I don't want to seem all po-faced and self-righteous, but I don't really like it either. But I think one basic thing that (hopefully) changes as you get older is that you've walked through and become aware of more suffering, and so are more alert to and avoidant of any way you might afflict it on others. It's so embarrassing, not to meantion unpleasant, to look back on most garbage many of us spew out at that age.

At the same time, I sometimes prefer teenagers to adults because I find that we get "too busy" to deal with any more "difficult" people, and everything can become grey and polite. I like how ridiculous, opinionated, maybe even disagreeable and passionate about "causes" (or just...various tastes) teenagers can be. Obviously everything I've said here is really not absolute though and there's loads of variation, exceptions, nuance etc. :-)

(One thing that has kept my own parents young is the endless charade of disasters some of their teenage foster kids get into! The amount of times I've had to help picking their Ukrainian teen from Central London at 4AM after he's been on another coke / benzo / ketamin drug binge....geeez. ((Just to specify - this particular individual is NOT fleeing the war, and has said so himself.)) Of course this destructive behaviour is serious stuff and involves expert help, but you also have to not take yourself too seriously AND have a sense of humour to do it! It sure keeps you young.)
Old 2022-11-27, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x View Post
I don't want to seem all po-faced and self-righteous, but I don't really like it either. But I think one basic thing that (hopefully) changes as you get older is that you've walked through and become aware of more suffering, and so are more alert to and avoidant of any way you might afflict it on others. It's so embarrassing, not to meantion unpleasant, to look back on most garbage many of us spew out at that age.
People are always so harsh with their teen self... Who you are today is a consequence of who you were back then, and if you like yourself right now, surely that teen you were has done things right...

Quote:
(One thing that has kept my own parents young is the endless charade of disasters some of their teenage foster kids get into! The amount of times I've had to help picking their Ukrainian teen from Central London at 4AM after he's been on another coke / benzo / ketamin drug binge....geeez. ((Just to specify - this particular individual is NOT fleeing the war, and has said so himself.)) Of course this destructive behaviour is serious stuff and involves expert help, but you also have to not take yourself too seriously AND have a sense of humour to do it! It sure keeps you young.)
Oh ? Are your parents a... How is it called, do they run a foster home, adopting whoever they can ?
This is a subject I find very interesting, and I might try to do the same once I'm settled (more permanent job/home).
Old 2022-11-27, 22:18

Quote:
It sure keeps you young.)
I think you're right there. I lived in Berlin for two years and then thought I hate this dirty loud city and moved to a super-small city where there's not a single piece of garbage in the streets and all the cars politely yield to other cars and pedestrians, but I think it also makes me old and I preferred the exciting life in Berlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
and if you like yourself right now, surely that teen you were has done things right...
For me at least, sometimes fucking up really badly also served as a very strong learning aid in never repeating that mistake again

But it definitely helps to take the embarrassment away if I see that I wrote it at a very young age.
Old 2022-12-01, 00:03
Magic Ball Master

Man. Reading this back and I feel a bit ashamed and embarrassed. Really crossed a line on a few occasions.

Twenty years late, but sorry Morshem.
Old 2022-12-01, 10:01
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman View Post
Man. Reading this back and I feel a bit ashamed and embarrassed. Really crossed a line on a few occasions.

Twenty years late, but sorry Morshem.
actually rereading it I thought it was the other way around. The joke was not with bad intentions, just harmless humor. The way Morshem reacted, and also in the dear moderators thread about it, I found that quite overboard. He even called people racists because of it.
Old 2022-12-01, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
actually rereading it I thought it was the other way around. The joke was not with bad intentions, just harmless humor. The way Morshem reacted, and also in the dear moderators thread about it, I found that quite overboard. He even called people racists because of it.
If you recognize that an insult is a joke, then you can laugh it off. If you can't then you'll be offended if someone calls you an arrogant cunt (at least I would). If someone would be by law recognized as disabled when a neurologist can prove that the joke recognition areas of the brain aren't working, would you think that people should be more accommodating then? Or if the joke's target had Down syndrome? I'm not writing this to scold you, just curious what you think.
Old 2022-12-01, 13:06

I feel like I'll have to read the whole thread if I want to understand exactly what's going on x)
Old 2022-12-01, 15:43
Neko

Quote:
If you recognize that an insult is a joke, then you can laugh it off. If you can't then you'll be offended if someone calls you an arrogant cunt (at least I would). If someone would be by law recognized as disabled when a neurologist can prove that the joke recognition areas of the brain aren't working, would you think that people should be more accommodating then? Or if the joke's target had Down syndrome? I'm not writing this to scold you, just curious what you think.
so, people shouldn't just make jokes because people might find it offensive if they don't get the joke?
Dear me, we have another woke example on our hands....

there is a difference between a joke that's meant to insult someone, or not. This had 0 intention to harm, but morshem went apeshit. For what?

if you knew beforehand someone can't get jokes, or handle them, and to precicely target them for a joke, sure, that's with bad intent and bullying, which i hate. But this thread was legit funny.

Unless, I read it quite fast, maybe point out to me where the "poor morshem" comes from, or where you feel it went too far?

Last edited by Neko; 2022-12-01 at 16:01.
Old 2022-12-01, 15:46
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
OMG I actually bought it... But I guess I deserve it after the "Dutchies Beware!" thread...

I'm really happy it was just a joke. Good one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
I hope all of you read the new thread in Dear Moderators, and see how mad I am!

See the difference. The first reaction is like a true gentlemen with class. the second is the "I am offended!" mindset we cultivate nowadays....
Old 2022-12-01, 16:16

Wasn't Morshem just kidding ? I mean, his thread in Dear Modearators was also way over the top and absurd, wasn't it ?
Old 2022-12-01, 16:19
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Wasn't Morshem just kidding ? I mean, his thread in Dear Modearators was also way over the top and absurd, wasn't it ?
he was for real.

if people could have predicted his reaction, they wouldn't have kept the joke running. The mere fact that chaos fish reacted so nicely is why i think it wasn't all that bad.
Old 2022-12-01, 16:39

Quote:
Unless, I read it quite fast, maybe point out to me where the "poor morshem" comes from, or where you feel it went too far?
It went on for too long and with too many people, and people also continued making fun of morshem after he said he's unhappy. I think it's correct that they didn't want to make him feel miserable, but the fact is that he did, so I think it's good that Snapman apologized for having caused that unintended side effect.

Quote:
he was for real.

if people could have predicted his reaction, they wouldn't have kept the joke running. The mere fact that chaos fish reacted so nicely is why i think it wasn't all that bad.
CF didn't get called an ignorant asshole though, and also didn't get targeted.
Old 2022-12-01, 19:00
Neko

Quote:
It went on for too long and with too many people, and people also continued making fun of morshem after he said he's unhappy. I think it's correct that they didn't want to make him feel miserable, but the fact is that he did, so I think it's good that Snapman apologized for having caused that unintended side effect.

CF didn't get called an ignorant asshole though, and also didn't get targeted.
Ah must have missed it, where was that.

edit: found it, ah, not sure that was part of the joke.

However, you find morshem's accusal of the people being anti semites justified? sounds like you make a light joke and in rebuttal someone sets fire to your clothes

Last edited by Neko; 2022-12-01 at 19:25.
Old 2022-12-02, 10:03

Quote:
However, you find morshem's accusal of the people being anti semites justified? sounds like you make a light joke and in rebuttal someone sets fire to your clothes
No I don't, and I wonder if the reason he reacts like this is why he's the butt of that joke in the first place? According to science, “a typical victim is likely to be aggressive, lack social skills, think negative thoughts, experience difficulties in solving social problems, [...]".
I haven't been on the forum at that time and don't know how interactions with morshem played out in other threads, but if he's written 10,000 posts by then, I'm sure the active members would have a pretty good idea about how he reacts to sarcasm.

I doubt there would be a perfect way morshem could have handled that. There's talking to the mods, or opening a thread if the MBN should be more cheerful, or laughing it off, but that's all approaches where nothing comes out of it.
Old 2022-12-02, 16:43
Neko

the snapman joke sort of seems a dissonance between what was a funny joke, I don't really follow why he put that in.

i wonder what happened to morshem