Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2013-08-18, 04:14
Neko

He really uses them well....
They sound very convincing
Old 2013-08-18, 13:19
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Interesting. Talking about the LBA theme, does anyone have the notes, preferably guitar notes? I have found some in the forum, but they sounded a bit off.
Old 2013-08-19, 03:52
strange dreamer

There is a midi, with which you can then open in a music notation software. Here, I've attached it for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lbastheme.zip‎ (4.8 KB, 96 views)
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Just a little seed, makes a big tree, Standing on its own, thriving all alone
Old 2013-08-19, 03:59
strange dreamer

I've made even further research on the subject of Vachey's equipment and here is what I found from an interview:

Quote:
For LBA 1, I worked with an Atari, loaded with an old sequencer (Pro24) and midi samplers. I can say it's been quite complex with these kind of machines, to obtain what I was searching for. Often, the 24 tracks were full. A long studio session later, I got an approximation of the desired sound. It took too much time to approach the right sound in studio, and for some tracks, I consider today, it's still an approximation.

For LBA 2, I changed my gear, and started with a Mac, Cubase, SampleCell Cards and a couple of samplers. Finally, I had to change less stuff during the mixing session. In any case, I play each line on the keyboard, violins, altos, cellos, etc. I can keep control of everything, and balance note to note, expression to expression, and it becomes easier at the mix (or not!). Well, I'm afraid that's a standard way to work with sequencers.
He's a genius. <3
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Old 2013-08-20, 00:00
Neko

Wheres that interview?

Yeah, pretty genius (but not a beethoven etc)
Old 2013-08-20, 01:44
strange dreamer

In his website.
Old 2013-08-21, 11:31
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
There is a midi, with which you can then open in a music notation software. Here, I've attached it for you.
Thanks. What program would you suggest? Preferably a free one :-)
Old 2013-08-21, 15:33
strange dreamer

You can evaluate Guitar Pro for 30 days...
Old 2013-08-22, 14:34
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerophthalmia View Post
Thanks. What program would you suggest? Preferably a free one :-)
Try it with MuseScore
It should do the job and is a pretty good notation-software (and freeware as well)
Old 2021-01-19, 19:48
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I've made even further research on the subject of Vachey's equipment and here is what I found from an interview:

Quote:
For LBA 1, I worked with an Atari, loaded with an old sequencer (Pro24) and midi samplers. I can say it's been quite complex with these kind of machines, to obtain what I was searching for. Often, the 24 tracks were full. A long studio session later, I got an approximation of the desired sound. It took too much time to approach the right sound in studio, and for some tracks, I consider today, it's still an approximation.

For LBA 2, I changed my gear, and started with a Mac, Cubase, SampleCell Cards and a couple of samplers. Finally, I had to change less stuff during the mixing session. In any case, I play each line on the keyboard, violins, altos, cellos, etc. I can keep control of everything, and balance note to note, expression to expression, and it becomes easier at the mix (or not!). Well, I'm afraid that's a standard way to work with sequencers.
He's a genius. <3
Bumping this post 'cos... those samples are still so amazing, and while listening to everything again I always notice new details!
Old 2021-01-19, 19:52
Neko

yeah i would love to have these same sample packs to be honest!
Old 2021-01-19, 19:53
Neko

especially the what is it...deep bass string sound in zeelich
Old 2021-01-19, 23:15
Polly parrot

Sounds like a double bass... I think the weird feel that comes with it is that atonality he's playing with in the first part.
Old 2021-01-20, 11:47
Neko

I miss some good double basses in the new recordings. or good cello's, powerfull string action is rare
Old 2021-01-20, 15:30
Polly parrot

Powerful anything is rare in the new recordings, just listen to 1:25 on the music box track, there is clearly a build to some explosion, yet it completely falls flat...
Old 2021-01-20, 16:46
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Powerful anything is rare in the new recordings
YES.
yes yes yes.
Old 2021-01-20, 17:15
strange dreamer

I was expecting something with quality and detail like this (this is from the movie August Rush):

Listen to the intro around 1:00 how you really get a feel of all the instruments... and then around 4:20 for example how powerful sounding are those cellos with the whole ensemble.