Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2008-08-19, 13:41
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I have a bin cue image file but i have made it from an iso because i haven' found how to creat image file with a cd and i've no original LBA2 cd's...
I've downloaded isobuster (because in your thread you've said that you've made your image with isobuster) but i don't know how to creat a bin cue image file with isobuster :/
And i've also tryed to launch the game with an iso with an iso(i've changed the config file of course) but one more time game told me to insert the cd....
Can i do a correct image file with a downloaded version?
Old 2008-08-19, 16:57
RobG from different angle

Bleh if any of the other members bother to look in here i'll proberbly get in trouble for helping you now as you really should use original lba2 cd's and not downloaded copies (which is bad m'kay?).
Technically it should still work if you mount your iso file on your pc with a virtual drive tool, and then follow the excact same procedure with iso buster as if using a real cd (follow step 1 on page 1 of this topic), right clicking the process tree (make sure tho that its pointing to where your "mounted iso" is e.g. F:\), and extract the raw data (in bin,cue format).

Other than that there shouldent be any differences.
nocd cracks!

Project C starts in 2-3 weeks!
Old 2008-08-19, 22:39

Thanks for your advises i've succed in doing a bin cue image file...
But now when i launch dosbox it is wrotten:

Dosbox o.71-psp build Jul 31 1008 16:34:56
Exception - Bus error (instr)
Thread - xxxxxxxx / user-main
EPC - xxxxxxxx
Cause - xxxxxxxx
Status - xxxxxxxx
BadVAddr - xxxxxxxx
zr:xxxxxxxx at:xxxxxxxx v0:xxxxxxxx v1:xxxxxxxx
a0:xxxxxxxx a1:xxxxxxxx a2:xxxxxxxx a3:xxxxxxxx
t0:xxxxxxxx t1:xxxxxxxx t2:xxxxxxxx t3:xxxxxxxx
t4:xxxxxxxx t5:xxxxxxxx t6:xxxxxxxx t7:xxxxxxxx
s0:xxxxxxxx s1:xxxxxxxx s2:xxxxxxxx s3:xxxxxxxx
s4:xxxxxxxx s5:xxxxxxxx s6:xxxxxxxx s7:xxxxxxxx
t8:xxxxxxxx t9:xxxxxxxx k0:xxxxxxxx k1:xxxxxxxx
gp:xxxxxxxx sp:xxxxxxxx fp:xxxxxxxx ra:xxxxxxxx
Stack Dump:
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
eax:xxxxxxxx ecx:xxxxxxxx edx:xxxxxxxx ebx:xxxxxxxx
esp:xxxxxxxx ebp:xxxxxxxx esi:xxxxxxxx edi:xxxxxxxx
es:xxxxxxxx cs:xxxxxxxx ss:xxxxxxxx ds:xxxxxxxx
fs:xxxxxxxx gs:xxxxxxxx eip:xxxxxxxx

All those things are wrotten when i launch dosbox(there is no downloads before it's wrotten)and nothing happen...
I've tryed to launch an other bin cue image file made from a real CD(prince of persia 2)so i think my dosbox version is bad so can you send me your dosbox files or tell me where have you downloaded them?

PS:I have the original CD but my computer can't read it because there are things on the CD, you know when you let you cd outside and you touch the cdwith your fingers... (i don't know how to say it i english)

PS2:I don't know if you see Zoe's smilies(i don't know if smilies are disable juste for me or for everyone). So if don't see the smilies it's normal.
Old 2008-08-19, 23:40

ahh, i use an age old version of it and i really cant remember the site i got it from anymore.
anyway all i can think of is making sure that your dosbox version is indeed the PSP DOSBOX and not windows dosbox (that would really make errors ) - and then ensuring that you get the right version (diff. versions for phat psp and slim psp).

google is your friend in finding those.
nocd cracks!

Old 2008-08-20, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvej View Post
anyway all i can think of is making sure that your dosbox version is indeed the PSP DOSBOX and not windows dosbox .
What an idea! You can't launch an exe file (except by using dosbox), so of course it's the psp version...

Otherwise if you want to know your dosbox version you have to launch the game without any special config about ex in the config file. When you've launched the dosbox you can see your dosbox version at the topof the screen, i think there's a message like"Welcome to dosbox psp 0.x.x

I gonna try with the 0.6 version because if you have wroten your thread on january it should be this version(it can't be the 0.7.1...)
Old 2008-08-21, 02:49
New efforts! :)

Now I have another reason to buy a PSP. Cool work Martyvej.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2008-08-26, 16:34

Hi, that's my first post in this forum and i'm german, so please understand my mistakes in english.

I have now LBA2 on my Slim, but it is to slow, the intro takes 10 minutes^^ I have changed my CPU Speed to 333 and I have formated my Memorystick with windows.
The memsize is on 14, because over 14 my PSP get a blackscreen and shut down.
What could i do now? That's the first game I've played on my computer and it's one of the best I think.
Old 2008-08-29, 12:21

Hi and welcome Bttlrppr ^^

The videos seem to just run a tad slower than what we'd like, but basically the best way to get proper speed is either A. turning off the sound (in the setup menu in the game folder, not ingame or using the psp's sound button :P) or B. trying to slowly increase memsize.

As you've bumped up your memsize to what you can, i think your best bet is proberbly skipping the intro (push whatever button you have linked to esc. or enter i think) as the game's charm really lies within its sound ^^
nocd cracks!

Old 2008-08-30, 03:30

I have chosen "no sounddriver", thats "no sound", isn't it?
Old 2008-08-30, 12:40

yep, that should be it.
If it still runs like crap (intro-wise) i think your best option is to map a key to the escape button or enter (i just cant remember which one allowed skipping of the videos) and then skip the intro sequence.
nocd cracks!

Old 2008-08-30, 18:49

I skipped the intro, but then there is a "bus error"
Old 2008-09-01, 03:02

:P just a few comments first:

When you say you've put your psp to 333mhz - did you do it in the recovery menu, or in the dosbox config file? :P not sure if it has an effect, but just incase -> switch it to 333mhz in both places.

Now then, not sure why it would make a bus error, but i have a few ideas what "could" perhaps cause it. :P either your using a very new (perhaps non bugtested?) version of the dosbox for psp -> or perhaps your using the version for the psp phat.
In either case they could proberbly make some errors.

I did a quick google and saw that a new version was up which fixes some issues (released this month) :P that might work for you, cant say for sure.
It could also be firmware related, when i was testing this out i was using CFW 3.72m33-4 <- allthough any version that can run dosbox should in theory be able to run any of the games fine.

^^ so my suggestion is to first check that both places have the speed at 333mhz (the dosbox.conf + recovery menu on the CFW), and perhaps see if you cant find one of the psp dosbox slim versions ^^ their out there.
nocd cracks!

Old 2008-09-16, 21:02

Okay, now the game is running, but very very slow .
It makes no fun, when it is so slow, what can I do?
Old 2010-05-25, 00:52
First time poster

can someone help me with this?? i made bin and cue files, i followed instructions, now i dont understand, how can i install lba with dosbox?? do i need some dos version of lba? cause i only have windows version
Old 2010-05-30, 12:07
Magic Ball Master

Just don't bother with it. LBA2 on PSP is very slow and you won't be able to play nothing due to its slowness.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2020-01-14, 23:38

Unhappy

Hi guys, I know this is a VERY old thread but I just found it recently. I just want to add a few things after spending a whole weekend trying to run LBA2 on my PSP.

1. DOSBox it's an IBM PC emulator, trying to emulate any game beyond 1995 will be pointless, the performance is going to be brutally low. LBA2 it's a game from 1997...

2. The Sony PSP CPU can only be overclocked up to 333 MHz. Why did I mention this?, because DOSBox need a minimum amount of CPU speed to emulate a certain CPU speed:

Host CPU Emulated CPU

Pentium Pro 200 MHz 286 6 MHz
Pentium II 350 MHz 386SX 25 MHz
Pentium III 1.0 GHz 486 66 MHz
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Pentium 133 MHz
Core 2 Duo 3.3 GHz Pentium II 300 MHz
Core i5 4xxx 4.0 GHz Pentium III 500 GHz

So, an PSP overclocked to 333 MHz will be able to emulate (roughly) a 25 MHz 386SX CPU.

Besides, DOSBox needs a minimum amount of cycles to emulate a certain CPU speed:

Emulated CPU Cycles

8088 4.77 MHz 315
286 12.5 MHz 2750
386 33 MHz 7800
486 66 MHz 26800
Pentium 100 77000
Pentium II 300 200000

Wich means that an overclocked PSP will be able to emulate up to a 33 MHz 386. I may be wrong but as far as I know, beyond 12k cycles DOSBox for PSP gets out of sync making the game unplayable.

3. This is something I did not know about DOSBox: let's suppose you have a Sound Blaster sound card and you run a game in DOSBox that uses a SB16, instead of sending the audio data to the real SB sound card, DOSBox will emulate the sound chip, and will also emulate the video chip, the RAM, the network, etc. So, if you emulate a 66 MHz CPU, you will need to considere that DOSBox will emulate also some extra MHz for the sound chip, video chip, network chip, RAM, etc.
This is the main reason for games like Wiplash (Fatal Racing) to run SO DAMN SLOW. I wasn't able to play it smoothly until I got a Core i7 920 overclocked to 3.6 GHz, a GTX 660 and even so some tracks are SO FRICKING SLOW.

4. The main problem with DOSBox for PSP is sound emulation. Apparently, sound emulation wasn't polish at all when ported to PSP. Don't get me wrong: it's really nice that CracyC take the time to port DOSBOx for the Sony PSP, unfortunately, there is no going to be any update… so, this is it: if you can run a game through DOSBox and it runs slow… well, chaces are it will always run slow.
Basically, any game that uses sound on DOSBox for PSP will impact performace. Anything beyond PC Speaker will drain CPU power. This is why the tutorial from the original post states: "
I recommend entering the setup at this point (using dosbox) and turning off ALL SOUND, otherwise you'll have a 0.5fps (something around that) and it'll be unplayable at all."

5. I spend a WHOLE weekend trying to run LBA2 on my PSP, try different configurations (cycles, CPU types, core types, etc). My results were no better than this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTDVqw7u8IM

And I don't think anything will improve that performance.

6. Either you run LBA2 slow (and without sound, wich is a REAL crime), or you don't play it at all. The problem here is CPU power, and coding efficency.

7. I made a really nice EBOOT.PBP for the game (custom icon, background image, and song). If someone want it, I can send it.

Conclusion: A real shame that the Sony PSP can't run LBA2 at a decent speed. I'm so sad because of that , I really wanted to play this awesome game on my PSP while going home from work.

If someone sees this message sometime in the future: triying to run LBA2 on the Sony PSP is going to be a waste of time, the PSP CPU is not powefull enough, the DOSBox port for PSP is not optimized enough. There is no way to upgrade the PSP CPU and I don't believe that someone will spend time optimizing the code.

Will LBA2 run on a Sony PS Vita some day? Maybe not. As far as I know DOSBox has not been ported to Vita outside a Libretto library and Libretto is kinda slow per se. Maybe with Adrenaline the DOSBox port for PSP will give a bit more of performance to LBA2, I don't know and maybe will not know for a while (I could barely purchase a used PSP 3001).

That's all folks. Sorry for my terrrible english and for any stupid thing I could have said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg‎
Views:	34
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	10301  

Last edited by ashir; 2020-01-15 at 14:32. Reason: Added image
Old 2020-01-15, 12:27
Polly parrot

Nice research post, thanks