Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-08-02, 15:10
Master of Science & Magic

I think Morrowind was more enjoyable than Oblivion
Old 2009-08-02, 17:33
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
I think Morrowind was more enjoyable than Oblivion
I agree.
Oblivion's PC version is a bad console port, the menu and inventory system sucks. Luckily there's a patch for the inventory to make work a little bit like Morrowind, but it's still very slow. The world is bland and repetitive. There's less imagination in items and enemies. There are way more bugs, too.
Old 2009-08-02, 17:58

Don't agree on the whole console port part (I usually regard it as a stupid argument).
Oblivion is the continuing trend of the simplification of the Elder Scrolls series. Morrowind was already simplified a lot. The world of Oblivion was indeed a lot more bland, but also a lot more shallow.
Old 2009-08-02, 21:39
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Thats also a trend purely because of graphical increase's.
The more detail per-area in a game, typically means either less area overall, or more repetition overall.
Old 2009-08-03, 14:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Don't agree on the whole console port part (I usually regard it as a stupid argument).
Because of the huge font in the inventory, the German translation of it sucks.
Instead of conveniently calling health potions "Heiltrank" ("health potion", surprise surprise), they went for "Schwacher Trank der Lebensenergie-Wiederherstellung" (weak potion of lifeforce-replenishment). But wait, that doesn't fit into the character limit, so they had to abbreviate it to "Schw.Tr.d.Le.En.W." I'm not kidding, somebody at Bethesda actually thought that was okay. Fixing such overly stupid names is one of the things the plugin I mentioned does to improve the inventory.
Old 2009-08-03, 18:42

lol, ok I played the english version
Old 2009-08-03, 19:29
Do the evolution.

It does seem a little dumbed down, but the story seems to be told better, there is a greater variety of characters, and all of them have voices and different faces...

What annoys me A LOT is the stupid 12 hour time. Looking for a way to change it to NORMAL 24hrs.

The game has been crashing really bad and I didn't know why... my GPU cooler broke... thank The Invisible Pink Unicorn the thing didn't break...

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-08-03 at 21:48.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:54
weee

All the characters in Oblivion sound like news reporters. Instead of actors there's just some people reading their lines.

Couldn't stand the game for more than 10 minutes. It's so shallow.
Old 2009-08-03, 21:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
All the characters in Oblivion sound like news reporters. Instead of actors there's just some people reading their lines.

Couldn't stand the game for more than 10 minutes. It's so shallow.
Yeah, I needed three years to get back to this game and play it for anything longer after the initial disappointment.
Old 2009-08-03, 22:23
Do the evolution.

Well that's a whole lot better then having the same faces and not speaking at all?
And I love the look of the Imperial City. I hate it when cities are all different... kinda fascist, yeah... however unplanned cities with architecture that doesn't fit the style of surrounding buildings bug the hell out of me. A "fascist" environment like that city is a treat to me... soooo I'm wondering aimlessly around it, enjoying the similar style of the whole shebang.

I'm enjoying it, at least I was... now I need a new cooler for the gpu....

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-08-03 at 23:41.
Old 2009-08-04, 22:12
LOLwut?

Ok, enough Oblivion.

Time for a real game: Half-Life 2.

It's awesome! Just another case of a sequel that surpasses the original by far. I loved the mix of physics puzzles, classic fps fight and story bits around the game.

Also, No final bosses!!

If you don't have it already go buy The Orange Box now! (I'm looking at you Darkflame :P)

Episode One here I come!

Old 2009-08-04, 22:48
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
I've finished Half-Life 2, also the more difficult and with a bunch of surprises - SMOD: Tactical mod, EP1 and EP2, waiting for the next EP, or HL3, whatever it'll be called. This game is just awesome. And it's getting better and better with all sequels! Love it
Old 2009-08-04, 22:59
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I have the orange box...I got it purely for Portal :P
I havnt played any of the halflife games. I admire them, but fps's arnt my thing.
Old 2009-08-04, 23:43
weee

Half-Life 2 (and Ep1 and Ep2) is awesome. Playing it is one of the best experiences ever.

It's not just FPS, it's a brilliant way to tell a story (also goes for the original Half-Life game). There's so much going on in that world. So much thought put into the story and background story, and everything.

Gordon Freeman, a nerdy quantum physicist, gets possessed by you (the player) and becomes a mute killing machine who's stuck in a path controller by his puppet master (the mysterious G-Man). Through this path you get to see the complex and thought out world even though the game makes it clear none of it matters and you should concentrate on being the mindless pawn you are.

...at least that's how I interpreted it.

Maybe I'm not giving it justice by describing it like this.

I recommend watching the video walkthrough of Half-Life 1:
http://www.stuckgamer.com/gui_half_life_01.shtml (after watching, also check this, and this)
I may be crazy but I watched the whole thing because I didn't feel like playing it, and that was so awesome that it got me to play Half-Life 2 afterward.

By the way, "The Observer" from Fringe is obviously inspired by the G-Man from Half-Life.
Old 2009-08-05, 00:08

half life 2 has puzzles?
Old 2009-08-05, 00:16
weee

Not really, no.
Old 2009-08-05, 00:58
Classic

Did I post this yet;
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/503275
If not, I'll post it now;
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/503275

Its a brillent little flash game. Starts very basic, then but then gives the whole thing a really nice twice.
Old 2009-08-05, 01:40
Idyllic + whimsical

*twist

I played it a few weeks ago, from what I remember it was decent but the extra mode you need to complete the levels in in order to unlock the final levels is just annoying.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2009-08-05, 09:55
LOLwut?

Quote:
half life 2 has puzzles?
Uh well, there are some moments when you have to slowdown and move stuff. I know it's not officially a puzzle but compare it to the straightforward formula of games like Quake and Doom.

Note: This must be the second, if not the first time, somebody comments on my games.

Try not to do this too often or I'll collapse. :P

Old 2009-08-05, 13:39
Bamboo

What makes the game awesome (which Valve puts in almost every their fps game) are those little things, like the picture with all the scientists from Black Mesa in Kleiner's lab or other little "easter eggs" like those words on walls in hidden rooms in Portal. Those little things add some reality to the games and make them even more pasionating. I just love hunting these things

I probalby made this a word-mess, sorry
Old 2009-08-09, 20:54
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Uh well, there are some moments when you have to slowdown and move stuff. I know it's not officially a puzzle but compare it to the straightforward formula of games like Quake and Doom.

Note: This must be the second, if not the first time, somebody comments on my games.

Try not to do this too often or I'll collapse. :P
You made half life ? :P
Old 2009-08-09, 22:04
Bamboo

We shall worship him xD
Old 2009-08-10, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Quake had puzzles. Pretty much every boss had to be defeated by a solving a "puzzle". Rise of the Triad had "puzzles", Duke Nukem 3D had "puzzles", Unreal had "puzzles", etc. Most of them were quite trivial, but if you're saying Half Life 2 had puzzles then those games also required you to do a bit of thinking.
Old 2009-08-11, 01:47
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
You made half life ? :P
LOL. Yeah, well. You know what I meant ......I'm GOD

Quote:
Quake had puzzles. Pretty much every boss had to be defeated by a solving a "puzzle". Rise of the Triad had "puzzles", Duke Nukem 3D had "puzzles", Unreal had "puzzles", etc. Most of them were quite trivial, but if you're saying Half Life 2 had puzzles then those games also required you to do a bit of thinking.
Ok....you win OF all those games I just played Quake, Unreal and a part of Duke Nuke 3D.

Quake does has "puzzles" but I was just saying I loved to play grabbing stuff and stuff in half-life 2 (And it's one of the few shooters that I played that do that).

And as far as I remember Quake II was way more straightforward than Quake. I think Quake > Quake II.

Unreal got to a point that the level design was too complicated to me and I started using "NoClip" like a madman

And Duke has a lot of "puzzles" now that I think about it. Quite a good game.

---------------

The Sims 3!! It's great....if you liked the original. It feels a lot like "The Sims" instead of being an improved version of "The Sims 2".

Simpler, cleaner but at the same time more complex. I totally love it (except the way you pay for new objects).

-----------------

PS: Spoiler:
Anyone tried/knows_a_guy that played GTA IV with a Pentium D Proccessor?

Old 2009-08-24, 01:18
Idyllic + whimsical

Finished We Love Katamari with a friend yesterday, it's a shame this game is so short and that there are only two levels that you get to roll really big katamaris, but other than that it was pretty fun.
I read some reviews criticizing the multiplayer since it requires a lot of cooperation between players, and even though it wasn't fluent like in single player, my friend and I did a decent job by just talking to eachother, and in some levels we actually did better than what I did on my own.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)

Tags
games, videogames