Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-11-20, 23:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Tales Of Monkey Island - That was...pretty...superb. Inventive, funny, faithful and good value. A very impressive resurrection. In some areas (mainly drama) it actually exceeded the originals.
Spoiler:
Out of respect for the recently deceased, Id just like to say...You Fight Like A Cow

I hope they do a Season2.
Old 2010-11-22, 00:24
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyLife View Post
Just bought NFS Hot Pursuit. After alot of half-ass NFS games this one actually captures the feeling I had when I played the first 3 games in the series, the cop vs bad guy thingie is really fun.
I find Most Wanted to be very good. My problem with it is, like with many other NFS games, that at some point they become so frustratingly hard that it becomes a risk to my mental health. Undercover was surprisingly easy though, I was surprised when it suddenly ended.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2010-12-18, 12:38
Banned

I played my favorite game NFS carbon. I think it was an amazing game. I love all NFS series games and it really excites me as the newer games come up.
Old 2010-12-18, 13:53
Idyllic + whimsical

I thought Carbon was pretty bad.
Can't remember why anymore because I stopped playing it after a few hours, but I just remember it's the worst NFS in my book.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2010-12-22, 11:27
Banned

Twinsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
I thought Carbon was pretty bad.
Can't remember why anymore because I stopped playing it after a few hours, but I just remember it's the worst NFS in my book.
I dont know why you havent liked it but I think it was a good one...
Old 2010-12-22, 13:10
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aule View Post
Dan dolme is fuckin epic!

I used to play that in school when i was young.
Haha, same here! Good times.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2010-12-27, 19:07
Magic Ball Master

Professor Layton and the Lost Future ~ You can order a "Layton Box", which is basically a cardboard box to store all three Layton games in, for free from Nintendo's star catalogue when you register the games. Does this mean we're not going to see Layton 4 on the DS? So far only Layton 5 has been announced for the 3DS, and the 4th one is out on DS in Japan...
Old 2010-12-27, 20:45
Polly parrot

If the fifth is announced, I guess they'll realease the fourth sooner or later.

Metroid Fusion On game boy advance. A hell of a 2D platformer. Fantastic control, cool graphics, awsome powers, what else ? Maybe too much is put on the storyline, everything else would be fine without it.

Old 2010-12-28, 00:28
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Finished Tales of Monkey Island some days ago... Good stuff!!! Much better than Monkey Island 4 anyway!
completed sam and max season one again... couldn't remember anything about it!
Now I'm off to play season 2 for the first time and then i'll get my hands on season 3!
Oh and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! The ending left me quite upset!

edit:
Oh by the way! Tales of Monkey Island is far better than S&M season 1! I was a little disappointed to play it after Tales of MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I hope they do a Season2.
Spoiler:
The ending with Morgan's "resurrection" makes me think there will definitely be a sequel

Last edited by Streg; 2010-12-28 at 02:21.
Old 2010-12-28, 00:52
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Professor Layton and the Lost Future ~ You can order a "Layton Box", which is basically a cardboard box to store all three Layton games in, for free from Nintendo's star catalogue when you register the games. Does this mean we're not going to see Layton 4 on the DS? So far only Layton 5 has been announced for the 3DS, and the 4th one is out on DS in Japan...
nah, we will get it, they make far too much money not too.
I suspect the Nintendo Europe premotion department or whatever arnt actualy told anything. They just see 3 games out, so make a box for 3 games.
Old 2010-12-28, 01:23
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aule View Post
Dan dolme is fuckin epic!

I used to play that in school when i was young.
In school you say? o_O

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-01-03, 08:31
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Sam&Max Season 2: brilliant, better than season 1, so less monotone! And you can finally run by doubleclick, and it really does help in boring parts in which you get stuck! Also the few minigames make every episode more addicting!

Monkey Island 1 - Special Edition
Good stuff!
The new graphics are absolutely awesome, some good lucking 2D that makes an old game so much enjoyable!
The old/new version switch button is simply great. Funny stuff that every time there is some sam&max easter egg it gets transphormed into a Day Of The Tentacle easter egg. (happens in both games) Copyright shit I guess.

Monkey Island 2 - Special edition!
Same great graphic and feautures as above.
Took me 8 non-stop hours, and filled another lonely night.
Is this the best game of the series? I don't know, it's a hard fight between this title, Curse of MI, and Tales of MI!
What's sure is that this is probably the hardest of all games, especially the middle part.
The most interesting news about this game is the opportunity to hear the developers now and then by pressing the A key. They will reveal some very interesting stuff about the making of the game 20 years ago!
What I would have prefered about this remake is
Spoiler:
if they cut away that ending! as the developers say, it's been considered one of the best ending, and one of the worst. In my opinion it is just nonsense, and it risks to ruin the whole saga, if gets used again, and make the whole dream shit be real! God, let's hope not!

So...
Off to play MI3 now, even if I remember almost everything by heart of that game!
And then I'd like to skip playing MI4 (almost hated that game, might be wrong anyway, and I might like it this time), but that would be the only MI game I didn't play in one month time
Old 2011-01-03, 11:58
Lemonhead

Thanks for reminding me to get my hands on MI2:SE, will be wonderful to play it again (and undoubtedly quite challenging, since I've forgotten large chunks of it)

In regards to the ending:
Spoiler:
I guess it's all a matter of interpretation since we'll probably never find out what the originally planned storyline was, but I personally subscribe to the 'It's all a trick by LeChuck' or 'It's a side affect of the Voodoo' range of theories. I always imagine the game opening with an argument between 'Chucky' and Guybrush, before their 'parents' interrupt them, and the whole host of witty one-liners that would coincide with the situation
Old 2011-01-03, 19:11
Classic

I'm not even sure Ron had a planned story.
Still, unquestionably superb games.

I really hope tales to do a Season2 as well, they have proven themselves worthy.
Old 2011-01-03, 20:01
Lemonhead

Good point actually, but I do remember reading somewhere that a trilogy was always intended. I think it was on the old SCUMM bar site, I'll try to hunt it down.

Even after 9 years of neglecting the series, Tales was massively successful, so I can't imagine LucasArts not agreeing to a second season or perhaps, even better, the legendary Monkey Island 5. Could be a co-production between the two companies, if LEC even has any employees left.

On the subject of Telltale, BACK TO THE FUTURE! I've seen the three movies an unhealthy amount of times during long unhealthy nights with large unhealthy pizzas, and I'm unhealthily excited about the games as well.
Old 2011-01-06, 15:02
Lemonhead

Well, I played the first episode. My main gripe would be the difficulty, which is basically non-existent. Clearly it's intended for all audiences, but it's even impossible to fully disable the hints, which tell you damn near exactly what to do. Also, there's one particular part that isn't very believable, but aside from that it fits very well into the BTTF universe, particularly the voice acting (Michael J Fox doesn't return, but you almost wouldn't notice). I hope the next episodes are more complex, and there's more exploring to do. It was relaxing nonetheless.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:14
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

I'll surely get to play BTTF sooner or later.
Are you sure you can't turn off hints in the options? You could do that in Sam&Max Season 2 and Tales of MI.

Anyway, I finally finished Escape from Monkey Island, and with this one I got to play all MI games in one month!

For some weird reason I totally hated this game, I considered it the ruin of the whole MI saga...
Well, actually there are some points that could be made much better.
Graphics in cinematics sucks, LBA1 from 1994 was better :P
In-game graphics isn pretty weird. The environments and the background are well done and very relaxing, but characters seem to come from another game.
Characters don't even have half of the facial expressions they had in MI3.
Gameplay is ... awful. Guybrush would keep turning backwards everytime he hit something, making it difficult to control. Also looking for objects to pick up is hard, since you need to get near to them in order to actually see a command line in the lower part of the screen, and usually there are more than 5 of these lines, changing position at every little movemente your char makes.
Ah, even the final "puzzle" sucks :P

But it's not an awful game: after you get used to the gameplay and the graphics, you can enjoy the funny references to past MI games, the classic MI humor, and a story that adds something to the whole saga.

Next saga I'm gonna revive: Broken Sword!
(even in this one, I used to hate the 4th :P)
Old 2011-01-06, 17:30
Lemonhead

Yeah, honestly, even after Hints and Goal Reminders are turned off, you still get pop-ups every now and then. Perhaps it's a bug, but it's annoying in any case.
--
Yep, most MI fans seem to agree that Escape isn't an awful adventure game, it's just an awful Monkey Island game. If you go in expecting an OK adventure game with Monkey Island references, it can be an enjoyable experience. Personally I think the biggest mistakes were the ending and it being in 3D. Sacrificing beauty and charm for an extra dimension really isn't worth it. Luckily Telltale got it pretty much spot on with TMI.
--
Fantastic choice, although if you don't already have it I reccomend you get Broken Sword - The Director's Cut. It's an updated version, obviously inspired by the good sales of the Monkey special editions, and there's a few new hours of Nico gameplay. Only $5 on Steam.

Oh, and check out Broken Sword 1.5. It's a fangame and only available in German, but there's English subtitles and it's extremely well made.

Last edited by Jast; 2011-01-06 at 17:37.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:50
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Yeah Telltale did an amazing job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
Fantastic choice, although if you don't already have it I reccomend you get Broken Sword - The Director's Cut. It's an updated version, obviously inspired by the good sales of the Monkey special editions, and there's a few new hours of Nico gameplay. Only $5 on Steam.
Been there, done that!
Quote:
Oh, and check out Broken Sword 1.5. It's a fangame and only available in German, but there's English subtitles and it's extremely well made.
Great! Last time I checked it wasn't yet finished! Thanks for the info!
Hey, seems like they also finished BS 2.5 O_O
quite a fancy website too
http://www.brokensword25.com/
are you sure you didn't mean 2.5 in the first place?

Last edited by Streg; 2011-01-06 at 17:55.
Old 2011-01-06, 18:14
Lemonhead

Oh yeah, that's the one
Old 2011-01-08, 14:53
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Seems like I have this incredible ability to forget solutions to game in notime, considering I played both BS1 and BS2 a few years ago... and once I got bored of reading comics because I could remember reading these stories in other comics (you know they do use some stories in more comics, especially disney does that), and I could really remember everything about them... bah

Broken Sword 1

little parentesis about the remake:
the original game is not only long, but also hard, very hard. And that's why the new parts involving Nico are pretty off the whole game... too easy I mean. That level of difficulty would have been ok in Broken Sword 2 I think.
The graphics are OK, but the original game already had some impressive cinematics and in-game animations for its time... of course it makes the game more "modern", but doesn't add anything special. it can't absolutely be compared to the incredible work around Monkey Island 1 and 2 Special Edition.

About the real game.
“He looked at me as if I'd farted at a funeral." is a quote that should remain in the history of videogames.
Well, it's a great classic, pretty hard and long. You don't get much to use item objects, but when you do, nothing is simple to figure out. Most of the game is based on dialogs: you can discuss about ANYTHING with EVERYONE. Every item you have, every data you know, can be discussed to whoever you want, even if that won't help you. Gave me an unespected sense of freedom. It's one of the very few adventure games in which I didn't feel limited (I always get that "can't I just ask that thing to that person?" feeling). And I completely loved the style of the game: it's both funny (thanks to the unnumbered jokes by George Stobbart and some other characters) and dramatic.
You can see a man killed every now and then, plenty of characters die, YOU can die (meaning game over), and when you do not only you get to see your crivelled wtih bullets body dripping with blood, but you can also see it thrown down the water by the bad guys, or see the undertaker covering your hole.
There are some flashy puzzles in which you gotta do something, do it right, and do it quickly, otherwise you get killed and have to start from you last savegame, and when you get to do the right thing at your first attempt you feel like you just scored the 2-1 goal in the champions league finale. Those parts make the game thrilling. You really FEAR you could die in that particular occasion, and you know you gotta think something that isn't random violence.
The story is astonishing too... I think Assassin's Creed stole many ideas from here, even if it's another game.
Loved it.

Broken Sword 2
It was fine... but Broken Sword 1 is better.
The game isn't easy, but hard either. It's not short, but not as long as the first one.
Moreover, there's no thril at all. You can only die in one occasion, and you quite much expect it to happen.
The quick-to-do puzzles to save your lives aren't there, the many daed characters that carachterised BS1 are missing too. Not to talk about that "sense of freedom" I told you about before. Gone.
What I liked of it is more items to use (there were really a few in BS1), and more things to do with them. The story is good, there are some unexpected events, and you happen to have something to laugh about now and then.
It wasn't that bad, but it has a completely different style from Broken Sword 1.

Just installed BS3 anyway. I played it more recently, and I know it's even more -racommended for all ages- than BS2, so no blood, no homicides, and almost no game over at all.

Last edited by Streg; 2011-01-08 at 16:09.
Old 2011-01-19, 09:34
=B

LBA2.. You know, the forum tempted me xD
Old 2011-01-19, 14:11
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
On the subject of Telltale, BACK TO THE FUTURE! I've seen the three movies an unhealthy amount of times during long unhealthy nights with large unhealthy pizzas, and I'm unhealthily excited about the games as well.
Yeah, I'm very excited about that too!

--

Last game I played was Prince of Persia (original, 1989) - for that never-ending nostalgia effect. Ofcourse it is needless to describe how awesome this game is, appart from being the best platform game ever imho.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-01-27, 21:00
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Magicka Demo - from Steam.

Its random the dialogue but the gameplay is pretty interesting. Reminds me of Lost Magic on the DS.
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2011-01-28, 21:03
LOLwut?

Super Meat Boy.Ultra hard, but it's very fun and awesome.

Tags
games, videogames