Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2012-01-27, 13:18
NetFloater

Send a message via ICQ to Black Spider Send a message via MSN to Black Spider
So here's my opinion that nobody asked about.

I think they should reupdate the entire control scheme. Why? Because the primary goal of the remake is not to please the fans (us) but to target a new group of gamers that were not familiar with the original games. This in contrary to the HD remakes of monkey island, which was a lot simpler to make.
The reason why I think that you should update the control scheme is simple, it just doesnt fit with this day and age of gaming. Twinsen should be able to move fluently and perform actions such as hanging on ledges etc.
Modern games such as uncharted and assassins creed have set a bar and that bar must be met for a remake of LBA.
I remember playing Sands of Time back in the day and one day I got a new soundcard with the latest tomb raider game. While not being a fan of tomb raider, one day I decided to install the game. I played the first level (some sort of alley) and I was shocked by the clumsy controls, that did not compare in any level to the SoT. I never tried the game again, even though Tomb Raider was once the benchmark for movements in a 3d environment. Do you really want new gamers to have this idea about LBA? Think about it, the remakes are only made to attract new gamers, if the game is popular enough, LBA3 will surely be made. Dont ruin this by being nostalgic.

I would rather prefer a system such as assassins creed, where holding different keys will result in different modes / actions such as walking, fast walking, running and sprinting. Isnt this what LBA needs?
.../=|=\.......
..|.-|-...\.....
./\\\0).../\\\.
..../...\.........
....|....|........
..._|...|_......

Back 4 A Sec!
Old 2012-01-27, 18:57
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
The system I'd propose for the LBA Remake would be to use the Minecraft movement system. That is, mouse, WASD, double W for sprint, space for jump, right click for action, left click for mine/fight. Easy to get familiar with but not overdoing it.
As for the graphics, outside should be 3D (like LBA 2 but obviously way improved) and the inside isometric but in 32-bit colors etc.

For anyone who thinks a game needs to have ultra realistic graphics to have success, just like at Minecraft at how it achieved so far enormous success with not that realistic graphics.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:30
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
I would rather prefer a system such as assassins creed, where holding different keys will result in different modes / actions such as walking, fast walking, running and sprinting.
..which is itself old fashioned and shows a little how pc focused games lag behind consoles.

You shouldn't need a "mode" for merely different movement speeds, when a analogue stick would enable all of them and everything inbetween.

This also highlights how we really cant say whats best without knowing the platform.
Old 2012-01-27, 20:51
<3 MP

Well everyone has the right to their own opinion. I on the other hand see no problem with the way the games were made previously. And whenever I got Hit by an ememy attack I turned twinsen around till he was far away enough from the attacker to recover himself then attack again. But maybe I just played the game with a different strategy than everyone else.
Old 2012-01-27, 20:55
<3 MP

Or maybe they should keep twinsen on a Set behavior. The fact that you had to keep changing in lba1 was a stupid idea in the first place. Like I had said previously, I played lba2 in sporty mode the entire time. It made it 10 times easier.
Old 2012-01-27, 22:07
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Well the LBA 2 system was quite nice. It flowed fine and you could do ACTION by pressing W (or Z on French keyboards) without having to change to Normal mode and press SPACE all the time. LBAWin adds that capability to LBA 1 (as well as making Twinsen not hurt when hitting walls anymore). So either the LBA 2 system or the Minecraft system is the way to go in my opinion. Certainly not following a blind "let's do something just because it's the latest tech" mindset. Do what's best for the game.
Old 2012-01-27, 22:29
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Completely agree with Axx and Black Spider. Definitely need to target the general market. The controls are clunky. They were the weakest part of the games IMO.
Old 2012-01-27, 23:01
<3 MP

...the never ending battle of old school vs new school...
Old 2012-01-28, 06:48
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via MSN to metal-matt
this kinda thing is allways going to be a tough decision, however depending how they want the game to be like, (pc ofc, ios/tablet is a diff story alltogether) they should be able to attempt some new control system, AND keep in the old one.

though i wouldnt want it to simply be catered to the lowest common denominator.

actualy as a interesting point of comparison, the original crysis on PC had mode selection somewhat like LBA, and IMO it was fine, switching modes was simple and easy (for me atleast).
then came crysis 2, prime example of catering to the lowest common denominator, the mode selection had been dumped, probebly because it wasnt suitable for console controllers (and required to much thought *cough*) so instead of having the original 4 mode selection, they mashed it down to only 2 modes.

however gameplay wise this felt terrible to me, sure you only have to remmember 2 buttons to press, one when people are shooting at you, the other when they arnt..
but then the modes that used to be there get crippled and cant be used, generaly making gameplay seem bad for me.

and that's why crysis 2 somewhat bombed compaired to the first, atleast on PC.

not saying it would happen to LBA, and i think LBA2's controll scheme was perfectly fine, mode selection wasnt used alot and it added a little to gameplay to think about such things, but i guess it doesnt fully need them...
Old 2012-01-28, 08:00
Magic Level: Green Ball

I like to imagine the Remake of LBA to be somewhat like Beyond Good & Evil.
Old 2012-01-30, 18:27
NetFloater

The game will be dumbed down for sure.
Remember the parts in the game where you had to choose a specific mode, stand on a specific angle and throw the ball to hit the lever?
These parts will most likely be replaced with an auto-targetting function. Nobody wants to be stuck on a specific part in the game because they dont know where to go, or because they cant perform the action. Games arent like that anymore...
.../=|=\.......
..|.-|-...\.....
./\\\0).../\\\.
..../...\.........
....|....|........
..._|...|_......

Back 4 A Sec!
Old 2012-01-31, 10:50
Magic Level: Green Ball

Lot of interesting ideas here guys, I too fear that the game will be dumbed down alot, but is that really a good thing? Do we want discreet mode, or do we want to stand in a pile of garbage in sporty mode, press w and wait for the truck? We, as fans, have explored ever inch of this game, maybe the "new fans" will love the behaviour feature, or hate it... What do you think?
Old 2012-02-01, 16:54
NetFloater

Yeah, I think the sneaking out of the citadel might be done differently nowadays. Instead of waiting for the truck to pass by, you might need to sneak past the guards deus ex style without being noticed in the enemies line of sight. And I think thats might not even be a bad idea, since it extends the gameplay AND It challanges us even though we know the entire game by heart.
Honestly, I think I can remember 3 parts in the game where you need discreet mode (to be discreet, not to throw the ball in a different curve):
1) In the house at the beginning
2) In the museum
3) To get past the white grobo in principal island.

So do we really need the different modes?
.../=|=\.......
..|.-|-...\.....
./\\\0).../\\\.
..../...\.........
....|....|........
..._|...|_......

Back 4 A Sec!
Old 2012-02-01, 17:27
Magic Level: Water Ball

In the museum ? What for ?