Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Music
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Music The place for all your music creations

Old 2011-02-28, 15:38
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA2 goes orchestra

Hi. I've sent this mail to Philippe Vachey in November 2010:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Vachey

My name is Onno Jacobs. I am a 14-year-old pupil from Norden, that's in the north-west of Germany. Like many others, I am a big fan of Little Big Adventure 1&2, Time Commando and so on, especially of the music.
I play the clarinet in the city orchestra of Norden, the “Stadtorchester Norden”, for 3½ years now.
Although we normally don't play the soundtrack of games, I had the idea to play four tracks from LBA2 in our orchestra. My choices are (names are from last.fm; I don't know the original ones):
  • Honey Bee
  • Emerald Moon
  • Zeelich
  • The Empire
I didn't tell my maestro anything of my ideas yet, because I have to get some information first. That's why I'm writing to you. Are notes of the songs existing and is it possible to get them? Are we allowed to play them and may change them a little bit, or will we get in conflict with the copyrights?
It would be very nice if you could answer my questions.

Yours sincirely

Onno Jacobs
(onno.jacobs@online.de)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, he didn't answer yet. I had many things to do in the "last time", so I did nothing more for this. I've found his e-mail (pvachey@free.fr) on his website (pvachey.free.fr). I searched for him on Facebook, but it was another Philippe Vachey...
Is anybody here who knows how I can contact him?
And is maestro the right word for the guy in front of the orchestra shaking his hands like he's stupid?

Greetings from Germany!
kk

Last edited by kuschkusch; 2011-03-01 at 13:30.
Old 2011-02-28, 15:57
Magic Level: Green Ball

November 2011?

Wow ... you're a few steps ahead! :-D
Old 2011-02-28, 20:39
Look beyond reality.

I always pictured an actual orchestra playing those songs when I was a kid and didn't know about MIDI and stuff. I'll be so thrilled if you manage to pull this off!
Old 2011-02-28, 23:28
the legend

Yes, it would be stupendous to have a real orchestra playing LBA tunes, I've always wanted to do that too.

If he can't give you the original sheet music, you can try taking the midi files (available in MBN's archives I guess) and using softwares like Finale or any other music sheet editor to create sheet files from the midi. It should not be a complicated task, although you will have to adapt many things to make it work properly.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-03-01, 07:14

There's a problem: only the installation music is MIDI, the rest is WAVE. I don't think anyone heard all the correct tones and transformed it into MIDI. And no software can transform a song with more than two instruments correctly, I've already tried. We need the notes, I can see no other way.
Old 2011-03-01, 10:15
Polly parrot

I hope he'll say yes
Old 2011-03-01, 13:29

So do I, but I still can't contact him. I need someone to tell me how.
Old 2011-03-01, 14:22
Magic Ball Master

I already thought about playing the LBA-themes with my Orchestra as well.
I'm the conductor (better word for "Dirigent" than Maestro ) of my school's wind orchestra. But mostly it's very difficult to write the LBA-Soundtrack without strings, so I gave up on that project.

Anyway I wish you luck with contacting Phil and tell me when you're playing it on a concert so I can come and hear
Old 2011-03-01, 15:40

Cool I will tell you!
But: The Stadtorchester Norden is a wind orchestra, too

We'll see...
Old 2011-03-19, 20:53

I just wrote a message via Facebook to Didier Chanfray if he knows how to contact Phil! I'll post it when he answers.

kk
Old 2011-03-20, 20:00

YAAAHHHOOOOOO!!!

Didier Chanfray gave me a newer address: [email address]
I'm just writing to him - lets see if he answers this time!

kk
Old 2011-03-20, 23:25
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
let us know... and if you do have his permission, make a video with the orchestra playing
Old 2011-03-21, 14:27

He answered:

"Dear Ono,

The title’s names are the right one.
You should take time to explain this to your conductor, he might understand J
However no score’s sheets are available, unfortunately.

You can be allowed to play this live, but you’ll need my written agreement before.
Slight necessary changes to be done probably, because it’s not exactly dimensioned for a live orchestra.
In my opinion, you should give first an audio version to your conductor.

With regards,

Philippe VACHEY"

no score's sheets...
Old 2011-03-21, 18:58
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
you still have some sort of permission anyway. would it be that hard to arrange something? You know, I'm not the a music expert, but how much time would a maestro need to make sheets by listening to an mp3?
Old 2011-03-21, 19:07
Magic Level: Fire Ball

What with the help of a converter such as this one: http://www.widisoft.com/english/mp3-midi-products.html
Old 2011-03-21, 22:30

You can't convert a track with more than three instruments. These two files are a bit of Honey Bee original and the converted one (by widi). Although Widi works surprisingly good, this isn't a real help. But anyway ... thanks

@StreGGy: i think a conductor would need about three months per track. There are professional "sheet-makers", but you have to pay them about 5.000€ per track.

I think what I will do next is giving the songs to my conducter and write to Phil what he said. I will also ask him how he made his songs - if not with sheets. If he made it with software (e.g. Fruity Loops) it would be very easy for me to extract it.

Greetings,

kk

PS: Damn, Phil wrote my name wrong...
Old 2011-03-21, 22:56
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuschkusch View Post
i think a conductor would need about three months per track.
That would be a real pain if it needed that long, but how could Frank Bernearts make his 20 crappy arrangements a year that way?.
:P just a little joke for all serious Wind-Musicians

It's really not that hard. I did a few arrangements myself before and it only took about 3 weeks or so. It really depends on the deepness of the music how many voices you need and of course how good/trained you are at hearing notes.

If you want I can try to make one smaller track of the LBA2-Soundtrack in a Wind-Orchestra-Arrangement.
Old 2011-03-22, 16:53

ok, three months was a bit too much...
But it would be perfect if you try to arrange a track!
Old 2011-03-22, 18:06
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuschkusch View Post
There's a problem: only the installation music is MIDI, the rest is WAVE. I don't think anyone heard all the correct tones and transformed it into MIDI. And no software can transform a song with more than two instruments correctly, I've already tried. We need the notes, I can see no other way.
Indeed, there is no midi file for most of the tunes. But if you were to play LBA2's Theme song, there is are many midi versions transcribed (I have it with me I can send it to you if you want). Also, most of LBA1 songs were made in xmidi, a format very similar to midi.

But for these specific LBA2 songs, I guess the only solution is to gather all the musicians, and each take out by ear his own part only, and soon you'll have the whole melody.

PS: Mr.Vachey has indeed composed the songs using software(s), but remember, it was back in 1997, I don't think it would be viable to work with nowadays softwares, except if it was done using multi-platform extensions, such as IT, MOD, MIDI, XM, S3M etc.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-03-23, 15:38
master of electronica

This sounds like a great idea.

I'm often amazed at how great the LBA1 and 2 scores sound as they are, though - especially LBA2. Few games in that period had such realistic and sharp sounding soundtrack, apart from the rare occasions where a real orchestra was utilised. Philippe Vachey must have had access to some great samples - though of course his compositions, arrangements and production are what make the soundtracks shine.

I actually had a phone conversation with him a little while back about the music, but I can't remember much of what was said. :-)
Old 2011-04-04, 09:42
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
If you are interested, I transcribed two musical themes (leitmotives?) out of 18 (if I remember correctly) for GM instruments. But these are not the tracks from the CD, but the smaller, ingame-ones.
Old 2011-04-04, 15:22
Magic Ball Master

cool!

Could you maybe send the sheets from those to me? (or if you don't have "sheets" maybe you have a midi-file)
My holiday starts in 3 weeks and I planned to try out if I can arrange a little LBA-Medley.
Old 2011-04-04, 15:37

OK, but they are very short. I could have transcribed the whole soundtrack, but someone with orchestra training (like you) would do it better than me. By the way, there is midi file with LBA theme from LBA 1 somewhere on the site. Try to rearrange it for orchestra. The xylophone part may be not correct, I doubled it in an octave to sound better. You can't play that tremoling with 2 mallets in real life.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2midis.zip‎ (2.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by ras maxim; 2011-04-04 at 15:44.
Old 2011-04-04, 15:41

Thanks a lot! I tried to arrange a smaller track, too, but from LBA1. I've almost finished it. It's "The Village".

kk
Old 2011-04-04, 15:48

Won't you post it here?