Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > TwinEngine
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

TwinEngine An opensource reimplementation of the Little Big Adventure game engine. [url]http://twin-e.googlecode.com[/url]

Old 2008-06-26, 17:57
Magic Ball Master

All things are in the same way. People don't seem to be interested to help us and when they contact us, they realise they don't have time the needed time to spend.

With the up coming new LBArchitect version, I'll need to focus my time on making scenes for all grids scenarios we already have for Lanyar island and the engine will be stopped because no one is helping me.

Now I'm a bit confused, if I still make the engine from scratch or if I made use of twin-e code and only after I clean it up and comment. Because all this process takes a lot of time, but its in fact useful.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2008-06-26, 18:55
Magic Ball Master

Whatever you decide, we'll do whatever we can to help Alex. I wouldn't expect much outside help. If Quetch is any indication, the community wants shit done, and they don't give a fuck how much work it takes, and if it takes too long, then just give up and put out a pile of crap.

I seriously am tired of this community. Not you guys - you guys are the best, and we're working towards something really great. But I think I'm just going to stop posting in threads in other forums or else I might have to shoot myself.
Old 2008-06-26, 19:48
Magic Ball Master

I've to think better. I'll try for now to continue the work I'm doing. I'm probably thinking about switching to C++ instead of using C which could be useful in future, but also need to make some test code to see how it will work.

About the game and community, well, we can't loose hope by a member opinion. I know a lot of people in this community believe in our work now more than it was in the beginning and also we can't forget that are a lot of people outside this community which knows about our project.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2008-06-27, 19:56

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Whatever you decide, we'll do whatever we can to help Alex. I wouldn't expect much outside help. If Quetch is any indication, the community wants shit done, and they don't give a fuck how much work it takes, and if it takes too long, then just give up and put out a pile of crap.

I seriously am tired of this community. Not you guys - you guys are the best, and we're working towards something really great. But I think I'm just going to stop posting in threads in other forums or else I might have to shoot myself.
Woah. Someone's been trashing our "productivity" and I didn't even notice it. I perceive it as a good sign. Anytime that somebody gets this passionate about our product, shows me that we're making something BIG.

On a serious note
, I think that keeping a TIGHT lid on this project is the thing to do. We should continue to make no promises about release dates or demos, and release screenshots and progress reports that are at least several months old. In other words, release only the stuff that we are quite keen on keeping in the game. For example, Luke and I are currently working on a myriad of concept/storyboard designs that we plan to present to the team in a few weeks, and you should definitely keep a tight-tight lid on that for quite a while.

Cheers~

Last edited by Lightwing; 2008-06-27 at 20:12.
Old 2008-06-28, 01:31
Boobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post

Same here. It's no longer what it was before and now it's just spam thread after spam thread.
Most of them being started by Quetch and being helped by Dino-Fly.
For outsiders, this isn't a very good portfolio of who and how we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Woah. Someone's been trashing our "productivity" and I didn't even notice it. I perceive it as a good sign. Anytime that somebody gets this passionate about our product, shows me that we're making something BIG.

On a serious note
, I think that keeping a TIGHT lid on this project is the thing to do. We should continue to make no promises about release dates or demos, and release screenshots and progress reports that are at least several months old. In other words, release only the stuff that we are quite keen on keeping in the game. For example, Luke and I are currently working on a myriad of concept/storyboard designs that we plan to present to the team in a few weeks, and you should definitely keep a tight-tight lid on that for quite a while.

Cheers~
I agree with you there.
Not letting them know where we are up to and then 'shocking them' with a bunch of progress (In my opinion) is a great idea.
It'll shut people like Quetch, Dino-Fly and such up for a while at least.

I can't wait to see the storyboards.
Old 2008-06-28, 10:42
Magic Ball Master

Indeed.
The engine progress is public due to its licence so it won't be possible to not say something, still, this good be a point to show the engine and hide all the behind game work.

Old 2008-06-28, 12:01
Magic Ball Master

Today I start reworking on the engine in the last task I was doing past weeks, the disappearing celling grids.

This is an image of a prison celling grid you probably never see it before:

Edit: Just make celling grid to be changed with fade in and fade out. It looks really great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sceneprison2.png‎
Views:	121
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	7623  

Last edited by xesf; 2008-06-28 at 12:17.
Old 2008-06-28, 13:42
Magic Ball Master

Btw, for those who actually saw the blog frequently I'd like to make a post about the engine. What you guys think?

Old 2008-06-28, 14:48
Boobs!

One yes vote here.
Guys?
Old 2008-06-28, 15:37

Guess it can't hurt.

By the way: fade in/fade out for ceiling walls sounds fantastic!
Old 2008-06-28, 16:09
Master of Degree

Yes, it would be good to make a post (maybe someone reading the blog will want to help?).

And after Lightwing: smootly disappearing ceilings sound great!

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog
Old 2008-06-28, 16:39
Magic Ball Master

Yes, go ahead and make the post.

Although we don't want to get into the habit of negative reinforcement (i.e. Quetch bitches and then they see us replying with a blog post will only yield more of that bitching behavior).
Old 2008-06-28, 17:15
Magic Ball Master

I don't want to make the post right now. I want to have something more working in the engine before I did it, at least displaying 3D models.

Smoothly disappearing ceilings grids, was a feature I had in mind for a long time and only now I manage to make it in this engine.

Old 2008-06-28, 17:45
Look beyond reality.

Looks outstanding!
Keep it up. Did you make any sort of online/interaction/server system yet?
Old 2008-06-28, 18:09
Magic Ball Master

Hmmm, for what?!

Old 2008-06-28, 18:30
Look beyond reality.

Oh I thought you wanted to make some kind of online option, because Lba Online will have one and we're looking for extra programmers anyway.
Well it's not on the top of the list but worth thinking about, no?
Old 2008-06-28, 20:02

The most important thing would be to completely focus on the single player portion of the project. I didn't even know there was a multiplayer in mind.

In my hopinion, the most important thing after getting LBA engine to work properly (i.e. get all the gameplay functionality to work) that we focus on adapting the engine to supporting 3d models with more poly count and textures.

It may take a heck of a long time before we get there, but considering that the Design Doc, the final script, and Concept Art are yet to be completed, we don't need to worry about in game art assets just yet.
Old 2008-06-28, 21:42
Magic Ball Master

I agree, I think multiplayer should be on the backburner...in fact, I didn't think it would be possible or considered at this point.

I'm not even sure how a multiplayer LBA would *truly* work, but like Lightwing said, single player and the engine are the goals right now and for the foreseeable future.
Old 2008-06-29, 14:17
Magic Ball Master

Well, I wasn't thinking about any time of online feature. What I plan is to make LBA1 engine as better as possible.

Including other 3D models will be difficult since I'm planning to make the real engine render and won't use other engines like openGL etc., because it will completely change how the engine work. Since our focus is to use LBA1 engine, I still think will be great to use the same low poly characters, otherwise we would jump to a hightech engine like Ogre and build a new game engine which takes much more time.

Old 2008-06-29, 14:20
Magic Ball Master

Ops, forgot to add that a new version of the engine its in the server.

Keys:
- R,F keys to change to another scene
- S,X,Z,C keys like arrow keys to change scene camera
- T key to toggle disappearing celling grids
- G and B to increase/decrease celling grid index (be careful here. if you use a celling grid which don't fit the current displayed grid the program will crash. This is only a debug)
- F6 to toggle option menu while in-game.

Download Win32: http://lbaprequel.xesf.net/uploads/p...requengine.zip

Old 2008-07-02, 21:08
Magic Ball Master

Make the first steps to drawing Sprite Actors in the scene.
It is yet buggy as you can see in the pic door, because I didn't make yet the code to draw grids over the sprite actors which is the next step

Here's what I get so far:

This makes me fix object position on screen and make zone display as debug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sceneprison2.PNG‎
Views:	105
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	7629  

Old 2008-07-02, 22:35

This is terrific progress, alex! I'm going to check out the latest versioin of the engine as soon as I can.
Old 2008-07-02, 22:42
Magic Ball Master

Thanks

The last version doesn't have yet this last progresses. I'll upload a new one as soon as possible.

Old 2008-07-05, 12:04
Magic Ball Master

Already got bricks to be over sprite actors, but it is really buggy at the moment.

Its buggy because the clipping sprites need constantly position calculation I didn't yet.

I think its now time to start rendering models.

Edit: Tested non-clipped sprites and the drawing is doing well.

Last edited by xesf; 2008-07-05 at 12:30.
Old 2008-07-05, 17:38
Magic Ball Master

Finally manage to draw the sprites over the grids.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sceneprison4.png‎
Views:	234
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	7642