Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > TwinEngine
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

TwinEngine An opensource reimplementation of the Little Big Adventure game engine. [url]http://twin-e.googlecode.com[/url]

Old 2008-06-05, 10:06
Magic Ball Master

I know, sorry if my answer let you think that.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2008-06-05, 22:36
Magic Ball Master

Ok, just make the first steps to draw dialogue texts. For now only '*' characters are displayed instead of the actual text string.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2008-06-05, 22:46

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I wonder, how difficult do you think it's going to be to allow animation to continue during dialogue conversations?
Old 2008-06-06, 09:29
Magic Ball Master

Will be difficult indeed. If I remember well, the in-game dialogue implementation is inside the main game loop which runs every single game action and when we have a dialogue a new cicle begun to allow dialogue skip which makes the main game loop to pause till this cicle breaks (when we skip the dialogue or it ends). I think we can make this with threads but will give much more complexity for the game, still its a great request feature. Can you add in Mantis?!

Old 2008-06-06, 21:17
Magic Ball Master

I've got main and in-game giveup menus with texts .

I was taking a look at how they procedure the fullscreen text and in-game dialogues and isn't really good to my eyes. I'll investigate more and see if I can make it easier to build the first game screens. If no, I'll pass to other main and priority tastks like read scene definitions and rendering characters models and animations.

Old 2008-06-06, 21:53
Magic Ball Master

Alex, you are doing a crazy good job, especially considering you're basically doing it on your own. Great work mate!
Old 2008-06-06, 22:52

I disagree. I think you are doing a poor job. They pay you too much. You should be fired.
Old 2008-06-06, 23:08
Look beyond reality.

True, true. If everybody agrees I will replace him. I will learn a bit of C++ (which is enough to recode everything he did) and talk in funny English, from now on.

Old 2008-06-06, 23:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
I disagree. I think you are doing a poor job. They pay you too much. You should be fired.
I can glue some toothpicks together. Maybe I can come up with something that resembles an engine.
Old 2008-06-06, 23:38
Magic Ball Master

I find myself working in the engine at work when I have few to do there or the job isn't so good.

PS: I didn't know I had a funny English

Old 2008-06-09, 22:23
Magic Ball Master

I manage to compile the engine without the needs of external libraries instalations and its here the first private release so you all can test by yourselfs.

The package have the engine, all SDL lib needed and also a changed config file you must take a look to enable/disable some options to test and also some music files so you can also test the game with lower or high quality.

You will need to download all the mp3 CD version files in MBN to play high quality musics in main menu and during each scene. You must put them named like 1.mp3/5.mp3/7.ogg in the music directory under LBA1 main folder.

Keys:
- R,F keys to change to another scene
- S,X,Z,C keys like arrow keys to change scene camera

Download Win32: http://lbaprequel.xesf.net/uploads/p...requengine.zip

Let me know your opinions and if I need to change or improve something.

Old 2008-06-11, 08:17

Everybody should check this out to see if it works on their computer.

Just extract the files into the LBA folder and run the prequengine file.

It worked for me and it's really neat.
Old 2008-06-11, 10:28
Magic Ball Master

Yes, I need everyone's input. I've got some from Lightwing that I already add them, and also some from Zink I also had in mind inially, so all the input its great.

Since Zink request higher resolutions, what resolutions do you think we should have in the engine?! I was only thinkng about the original 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and probably 1280x920 (originla double size). This will need a lot of fixes and a function to proper resize the images which I don't have now. Also I should get some problems resizeing FLA movies.

I'll look at this aspects before starting doing something more critic in the game.

Old 2008-06-11, 12:10
Boobs!

1280x1024 (the native on some modern 4:3 monitors) and 16:10 support.
Old 2008-06-11, 14:28
Magic Ball Master

I'll download it today and fool around this weekend. I have an exam coming up so I won't have much time until probably Saturday.
Old 2008-06-11, 21:14
Magic Ball Master

No problem, take your time.

Sebz, I think 1280x1024 isn't the standard, anyway, the aspect ratio will be to stretch if we use it, but I will try.

Anyway, this high resolutions will also require more screen buffers which could increase a bit the usage memory. I will make some test and see how it work.

Old 2008-06-11, 21:40

Would a higher resolution make everything on the screen smaller?
Old 2008-06-11, 22:49
Magic Ball Master

In terms of gameplay yes. You will have much visible scenario area, but everything else will be probably resized, like images, menus, etc.. The text will also have the same size.

Well, I'm only trying things now. For example the game engine allows any resolution to display grids, so I think everything inside a scene could share the same functionallity.

The attached image shows the maximun resolution I'm thinking to use which is double the original size (1280x960). You have mostrly an entire scene space in visible in the screen. This will increase the game action process since a lot more actors and actions are visible in the screen and must be showed.

As for a bad side, all the 640x480 images will be resized to all this resolutions and we will notice a lot of bad quality in those. Make the use of better quality images won't be easy because the engine only allows 256 colors and we want to get LBA1 compatible always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prequengine_asylum.PNG‎
Views:	65
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	7577  

Old 2008-06-13, 20:55
Magic Ball Master

We have Leslie on the team, he join today . He's one of the guys who start doing which to display LBA2 islands and models when Link saw he's progress and thought about LBAO. I'n hoping he will be a great help so we can progress the project a little more.

Old 2008-06-13, 21:21
Magic Ball Master

Very cool, thanks for the heads-up Alex! No chance we could use the LBA 2 engine now, right? ;D
Old 2008-06-14, 00:46

Pssst: Isn't Leslie a girl name?

Also, I do very much like the resolution on that image.

And, if Leslie has joined, I think you should brief her on what's going on and what needs to be done. New recruits need a direction, otherwise they'll stay idle and leave the team.
Old 2008-06-14, 01:58
Magic Ball Master

Leslie Nielson much?
Old 2008-06-14, 10:22
Magic Ball Master

No, there is no chance to use LBA2 engine now, unfortunatly. It will take ages to make it run.
We will need much effort on it something like projecting a new game engine from scratch.

@Lightwing: Yes, I think it is a girl but I don't have sure.
I already give some directions, the first one, with project progress and next step tasks I was planning. And since we'll start working together in the same files we will need to have evrything understanding. I also give him/her the oportunity to pick up a preferable task, to not restrict too much what we'll do.

About the resolutions. Well it seams will be a bit difficult than I thought. Special the main menu thing.

Old 2008-06-14, 15:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
No, there is no chance to use LBA2 engine now, unfortunatly. It will take ages to make it run.
We will need much effort on it something like projecting a new game engine from scratch.
Alex, no worries, I was just joking.
Old 2008-06-22, 12:30
Magic Ball Master

This days, I didn't have much time to work on the engine so it is almost at the same stage.

Did some things to start initializing the actors in scene (still few) and yesterday add all the missing menus we have in main menu. We can also browse now the volume, increasing or decreasing it.

Another member has entered the team, but will have minor participation and will follow all the progress and help if we are making the things right. He helped now by fixing some unix warnings. His nickname is JucaBlues (a Brazilian guy).