Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2018-05-24, 19:15
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Twinsen Huge fan of LBA 2, never really played the first

Hello fellow LBA fans!

As the title reads, I'm a huge fan of LBA 2. Played it ever since I was a little kid and still enjoying it to this day.

I've given the first LBA a try a few years ago but I found it really hard to enjoy it. It was very action based and I got frustrated by some things, like running against a wall already does damage (this happens so easily), and the start of the game where each mistake meant a complete restart was pretty annoying to me too. Is the first part of the game just not so good compared to the rest of the game? I tried it again a year ago but again I really couldn't find the motivation to keep playing. But since I'm a huge LBA 2 fan, and since a lot of you guys seem to love LBA 1, I figured I should REALLY give it a good try again.

Opinions?
Old 2018-05-24, 20:46
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Heh, what can I say apart from the fact that I totally understand where you're coming from. My first contact with the LBA universe was, like in your case, through LBA2. A demo actually. And yes, the feelings were, are and will probably always remain the same, meaning that there's no comparison between the 2 games. Sure, I still like the first one because you know, we have Twinsen and it's a LBA game, it's the thing that started it all in the end and it laid down the foundation for what was about to become LBA2 after only 3 years but ... to me LBA2 is like the summer time of my dreams, that childhood memory that's stuck forever in your brain. While LBA1 feels like that pesky winter in 6th grade, where all you can remember is the struggle. In short, LBA2 is magic, while LBA1 completely lacks that feeling. But then again, I'm happy they've managed to turn a game like that into a magnificent one a few years down the road. I would've hated it if the situation would've been reversed Heh, as a side humorous thought: if LBA1 was 'meh' and all it took was 3 years for the 2nd title to be THAT good, imagine what they'll do with LBA3 after 20-some years
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2018-05-25, 05:24
lba 4 life

I'm the total opposite. I love both games but I always thought lba1 was a much better game.The 3D graphics of lba2 have aged really badly. I was playing a lot recently when speedrunning it; some of the landscape are bland and gray (especially in undergas and Zeelich) and it seems you have less places to visit. I think that feeling comes from the fact that lba1 was more an open world, you could go back and forth to most places. In lba 2 that's not the case.
Also i just cant stand the new enemies in lba2, the Francos are basically just sausages and the Esmer look too much like Quetchs.
The plot of lba1 despite being quite simple is much stronger. You can feel the pressure of dictatorship and the rebellion against the system, the quest for freedom, the struggle of the people. Lba2's plot is more unclear and less inspiring.

I think to some extent lba1 has more maturity and darkness to it while lba2 is more fun and less serious. So it's a question of taste really. But I think lba1 is closer to what Fred Raynal had imagined. I quote him from Wikipedia "we wanted to do a story for adults, something quite mature". His other works also show a taste for more serious themes in games: alone in the dark and 2Dark.
But this is just my opinion and of course there's always the wall hit annoyance in lba1...

Last edited by kash; 2018-05-25 at 06:06.
Old 2018-05-25, 16:51
Magic Level: Green Ball

I too started with LBA2 and when, a few years later, I finally got hold of LBA1 I was very disappointed. It was a massive step back in every way, ridiculously hard and much less, in my opinion, visually appealing.

I also didn't like the darker, serious tone that LBA1 has, and that preference has followed me throughout my life with other games.
Old 2018-05-26, 03:43
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graxer View Post
(...) and that preference has followed me throughout my life with other games.
Do you have any other LBA-alike games to recommend?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2018-05-29, 09:36
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I do Beyond Good & Evil. When I've played it, it was the closest thing to LBA I've ever experienced. Truly a magnificent universe. Even the plot is similar, the characters, races, etc. Just check it out.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2018-05-29, 18:58

I also started with the LBA2 and when I tried the LBA1 for the first time it was very hard for me.

I was able to complete the LBA1 finally a few years ago thanks to GOG. The truth is that I ended up liking a lot when you start to know the game well.

Of course, I prefer the LBA2 by much. LBA2 always bring me nostalgic memories that do not give me LBA1.

My advice is that you give the LBA1 a chance again. When you start to know him and to develop well for him, it becomes a delight.
Old 2018-05-30, 05:51
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
I do Beyond Good & Evil. When I've played it, it was the closest thing to LBA I've ever experienced. Truly a magnificent universe. Even the plot is similar, the characters, races, etc. Just check it out.
Oh, I did play it a long time ago, great game indeed, and it's been mentioned in MBN for ages as the only LBA-like game. Thanks nonetheless for reminding me of it, good memories.

But ever since that - we're in 2018 now and BG&E is from 2003... - hasn't there been any other game ?? It's very disappointing.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2018-06-01, 00:48

Same thing.
I tried LBA I a few times when I was young and I didn't like it. It was hard to play, the saving system was not perfect etc. But later, when I became 18-20 yo, I started to understand it. Yeah, it is not so pretty, but script is well made, and game has its own charm.
When I became even older... I started to think of Fallout 1 and 2! And I had never think to play it when I learned at school or university...
Maybe you should wait a little bit and grow up to start enjoy games like this?
Old 2018-06-04, 15:50
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
I'm the total opposite. I love both games but I always thought lba1 was a much better game.The 3D graphics of lba2 have aged really badly. I was playing a lot recently when speedrunning it; some of the landscape are bland and gray (especially in undergas and Zeelich) and it seems you have less places to visit. I think that feeling comes from the fact that lba1 was more an open world, you could go back and forth to most places. In lba 2 that's not the case.
Also i just cant stand the new enemies in lba2, the Francos are basically just sausages and the Esmer look too much like Quetchs.
The plot of lba1 despite being quite simple is much stronger. You can feel the pressure of dictatorship and the rebellion against the system, the quest for freedom, the struggle of the people. Lba2's plot is more unclear and less inspiring.

I think to some extent lba1 has more maturity and darkness to it while lba2 is more fun and less serious. So it's a question of taste really. But I think lba1 is closer to what Fred Raynal had imagined. I quote him from Wikipedia "we wanted to do a story for adults, something quite mature". His other works also show a taste for more serious themes in games: alone in the dark and 2Dark.
But this is just my opinion and of course there's always the wall hit annoyance in lba1...
could not have said it better, also with the music. lba1 goes deeper for me.
Old 2018-06-04, 16:25
Neko

between being married, writing music, fulltime job, i hardly find time to play games anyway :|

also...i just do not have the patience to wander around...anyone recognize this? even if i play a new game i kinda want the solution (walkthrough) really fast
Old 2018-06-04, 21:32
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
also...i just do not have the patience to wander around...anyone recognize this? even if i play a new game i kinda want the solution (walkthrough) really fast
Then what's the point in playing?
That's like watching a movie knowing all the plot twists.

Old 2018-06-05, 10:32
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Then what's the point in playing?
That's like watching a movie knowing all the plot twists.
yes so I don't play games anymore really, last time was around 2007. I do sometimes replay FF7 or LBA etc, but something new?

Old 2018-06-05, 16:17
the legend

Quote:
yes so I don't play games anymore really, last time was around 2007. I do sometimes replay FF7 or LBA etc, but something new?

Like LBA... nothing new that I'm aware of.

But about games in general, INSIDE is a masterpiece you should try out. Once you start it, you will finish it, it's that much addictive and immersive. It's very dark, though. A lighter choice would be PAN-PAN, brilliant little game based around puzzles. And if you don't mind playing in your mobile, then MONUMENT VALLEY is a must.

Old 2018-06-06, 10:06
Polly parrot

Quote:
I know that feeling. I got a Nintendo Switch recently with Zelda Breath of the Wild. So many buttons. Such a big map... But don't want to learn buttons and whatnot, I just want to play
So I bought Celeste from the webshop, and am finding it awesome
Old 2018-06-06, 17:22
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I know that feeling. I got a Nintendo Switch recently with Zelda Breath of the Wild. So many buttons. Such a big map... But don't want to learn buttons and whatnot, I just want to play
So I bought Celeste from the webshop, and am finding it awesome
Celeste uh? thanks for the tip, I love these kind of platformers.

Old 2018-06-07, 12:23
Polly parrot

I think you'll like it
Old 2018-06-08, 01:11
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'll definitely like it !!
Just noticed they also made TowerFall which I bought long time ago and it was a great couch-party co-op game to play with friends and all...
... this one seems to be single player but it's not a problem! I love exploring by myself too!