Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2012-01-16, 00:55
Magic Level: Fire Ball

For some time I will skip them (for few more weeks) because I have right now too many things to do and not so much time as I would like to have, so for some time you must satisfy with screens.

Of course like always I will try show something interesting in next movie :] and as I see progress in developing I think that this few week of waiting will be worth it.
Old 2012-01-16, 14:40
Magic Level: Green Ball

No doubt we will wait as soon as you need!
By the way, are you going to share source code in the future?
Old 2012-01-16, 16:15

Some time ago I thought about sharing tools that I use but after while of thinking right now everybody can get their hands on UDK and Crytec that are great and stable tools. On the other hand my engine is still in early developing state. If you read my blog you know I still fight with many basic things because I'm not satisfy with it's actual implementation.

And the code is not something you would like to see :] I still find there some comments/fragments from 4-5 year ago or some fragments/system that should be changed because they could work a way better but I skip them. I know that the day will come when I decide to modify them but right now I normally don't have time to do it.

So on this moment I don't have plan for releasing source code and only think about releasing tools. The problem with them is that later I probably will get some e-mails about support and I don't have time for it so I still hesitate to release them :]
Old 2012-01-17, 00:20

Sounds very logically
I used to make interfaces and never shared unfinished work.

I asked you about a code because I wounder if it can be used on other machines (for example arm cpus and other OS). As soon as I know you are not going to make a complete game, but all I have seen already looks so awesome and who knows maybe your project became as cool game as LBA is
Old 2012-01-17, 09:55

Thanks :] but right now there is still a lot to do :] because of that for me there is more problems in game than awesomeness.

If we talk about OS in future I think about porting engine with game to linux (right now I try to write code that is as less platform dependable as I can) in the same time I don't have any plans with iOS/OSX because I don't have any mac :] But first windows version (I want concentrate on it).
Old 2012-02-05, 01:06

Here you got some screens from actual state of work :] Constructive comments are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wip04022012_a.jpg‎
Views:	318
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	9050   Click image for larger version

Name:	wip04022012_b.jpg‎
Views:	315
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	9051   Click image for larger version

Name:	wip04022012_c.jpg‎
Views:	361
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	9052  
Old 2012-02-06, 10:13

Awesome!
Actually two things I've found so far: are the top of buildings (roof?): it looks like flowerbed
And lanterns doesn't looks like they gonna shine, because they looks like they are actually made of rock.
Also I like rocks on the background and walls textures!
Old 2012-02-06, 14:46

Yes you are right about lanterns I didn't notice it :]. About roof you may be right I will try to make details bigger (it should look better that way).

I added both things to my todo list and they should be fixed soon :]
Old 2012-02-07, 02:10

Zoe

Well now I can tell you two more things I just found. Thirst one: a lot of blue color, it looks like it is Winter or so: cold, clean, uncomfortable. Or like in the hospital. Try to add more colors or details in the future, like bright doors (and maybe change arch color (this thing right above the door) and maybe a bit of garbage (newspaper on the ground?). Or green grass with nice orange sunset sky will add to image more... romantic atmosphere?
Second: I know there were no windows in that building on the screenshot in original LBA, but IMO they will be better with windows (even small ones).

Good luck!
Old 2012-02-07, 03:17
Polly parrot

I like that blue color, I don't find it cold at all. I find it childish somehow, thus giving a cool atmospere
Old 2012-02-07, 12:24

So about blue color as Polaris I think that it should give good climate to map. But I will see how it will look when I start adding some detail to map (trash bins, posters on walls, sandbags and things like that) because now I agree that there is a lot of it.

About building window I think that there would be to much detail like this (there is basement window). In that place will be big poster of funfroc laws so this should look better :]
Old 2012-02-08, 00:38

Indeed. May be I think it is cold because it is empty (so far) and after you fill the streets with stuff like you mentioned it will looks just perfect
Just my opinion. You are doing great.
Old 2012-02-08, 01:52
Previously Link

That's some very impressive work here, I took a quick look at your blog too, and I really like your attitude about developing this remake. Your approach really makes sense to me. Good luck on continuing this project !
So, you're using pure OpenGL, right ? Do you know about OpenSceneGraph ? It might help you not reinventing the wheel while preserving maximum flexibility (unlike some game engine like Ogre). Unless you do want to reinvent the wheel, which I can understand too...
Old 2012-02-08, 11:56

Kroll we both will see how this location will develop in meantime of production. :]

Link, yes you are right I use pure OpenGL. I know a lot of good libraries that could speed up development, some of them I use (because I wouldn't be able to do everything in time I spend on development) but using of other would be against purpose why I do my own engine.

And you are right that maybe I reinvent the wheel but I want to know more about it than person that only is it user :] This is my way of doing it :] developing the technology always remembering that I doing it for game (which I plan to finish in normal time, not after X or XX years).
Old 2012-02-11, 18:37

Kroll you were right about roof :] I inverted there texture so lighting was there weird :] below you can see how it look in good direction and little bigger than earlier (screen from game).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roof.jpg‎
Views:	368
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	9059  
Old 2012-02-13, 17:36

Looks much better! But this texture is perfect for ^ (triangle) roof type. If you going to make flat roofs (like on the screen shot) you have to thing about drainpipes as well. And I am not sure this is a right texture for flat roof at all. I have never seen a flat roof made of brick or something similar.
Old 2012-02-13, 17:58

You know the most important part is that it look good :] Twinsunia is not real world so I don't need to do everything like in real world it was. About drainpipes you are right I have them on my list of things that I will do in future.
Old 2012-02-14, 19:55

ok
By the way, stairs are very good!
Old 2012-03-21, 21:35

This time some advertisement :

I looking for person that would like to take care of script and doing changes in original story (exactly the part that happening on first island). Such a person will be placed in credits as "writer" and will gain access to newest version of game. I cannot offer anything else :]

All willing to apply please contact my be PM. If you have any additional question pleas ask in this topic.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:58

And I return again this time with new movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ZCcMzWSyQ and some images that you can find bellow. More info you can always find on my blog http://angelusda.blogspot.com/. Have a nice watching :]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen00.jpg‎
Views:	318
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	9103   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen01.jpg‎
Views:	427
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	9104  
Old 2012-04-08, 18:51
Magic Ball Master

Just to say that you got me on your Abril fools joke. I read the post but didn't notice the day you post it .

Good to know if still keep working on it.

Btw, I notice the game as a very low FPS. Doesn't it affect the smooth of playing it?!

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2012-04-08, 20:15

Heheh :] I even didn't hold the convention of naming in that joke post :] But I planned this movie so there were no problem if some people didn't catch it.

As I wrote I planned this movie earlier but right now I'm have only access to netbook aspire one 522. And this is not machine to render modern graphic (I use in game deferred rendering) in 800x600 I have on it around 25 FPS without recording. So it's not so bad, but still some major optimizations still before me.
Old 2012-04-10, 22:23

Angelus
Screenshot r great! Did u ever tried to make lampposts's tops transparent? And some kind of transparent door windows (just some blured furniture, you know)?
Second thing is just an idea: I've noticed a few manholes. Are they gonna be synchronized to the catacombs? I mean does a catacombs from LBA1 are under very this place? Then you can make this manholes usable (hit "action" and Twinsen will look throw the bars and see the catacombs). And you can put some light beams in catacombs going out of this manholes (like spots of light on the floor or so).
And did u ever think about add things like this? this is drain pipes for roofs.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-10, 23:03

The situation is like that:
Transparent lamp/doors window this is only detail it don't influence the gameplay and global feel of location and spending time on it right now would slow down everything else. So I don't say no but for sure not right now.
Catacombs are a problem. They are not playable area so I would only do it for art. I think that more worth would be use time that I would spend on it on playable areas.
Drain pipes to say the truth I don't see this in Citadela Island architecture it would more fit to temple of Bu.
Old 2012-04-11, 23:14

About drain pipes, i don't mean they have to be like this one on the picture above, this is just an example. I think they will add more attractiveness to the walls.

If you are not going to make a catacombs you can really add a gag such a picture of catacombs (may be a few animated rats on it) which player will see if he hit an "action" key on top of manhole.

By the way, are you going to add some grass? Maybe dynamic, which moves because of wind.