Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2012-11-10, 13:37
Magic Ball Master

Can the drown vertical movement be part of drown animation ? Character model would go under its capsule. I forsee to detect water through level shell.
Should there be a level transition close to rabibunny ?
Old 2012-11-10, 14:00
Do the evolution.

Yes, to a different sewer scene.

I guess it could be part of the animation, however if there's no collision on the bottom and just the water layer, and you have the water set up to contain the vertical movement is that a problem then?
Old 2012-11-11, 12:23
Magic Ball Master

I'm not sure I understand. What I mean is that you could play the drown animation everywhere it would work, even on floor. The model go underground but physically nothing special happens. On collision shell you setup water material at same height than floor and the animation will do the trick. Did you plan to add a drown animation ? And how to record the place you were before falling in water ?
Old 2012-11-14, 11:48
Do the evolution.

Well, LBA did it somehow, I have no idea how. My guess would be to check the position that the character was at, before the animation that led to the drowning animation, and place them there?

I'll make a drowning animation.
Old 2012-11-14, 12:19
Magic Ball Master

I can save the heroe position when idle animation is played, and restore it after drowning. It should be a safe position right ? I'll add that to the twinsen script when you have the animation ready.
Old 2012-11-14, 17:24
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I can save the heroe position when idle animation is played, and restore it after drowning. It should be a safe position right ? I'll add that to the twinsen script when you have the animation ready.
Depending on the animation state feels wrong.
Remembering the last position where player was standing on walkable surface would be much better. Just store the point where player lost contact with the surface.
Old 2012-11-14, 19:04
Magic Ball Master

You have contact with surface at the beginning of the fall, so going back to this point will make you fall again. Bottom part of capsule is spherical.
Old 2012-11-14, 22:30

I actually meant contact with the lowermost part of the capsule. AFAIK, character controller does a raytrace to determine whether it's standing on something or not and utilizes this contact anyway, so implementing that should be pretty straightforward.
Old 2012-11-14, 22:57
Do the evolution.

Hey if there's a check to see if the lower most point of the capsule is touching something could we use this for falling? It's sort of silly that if you go near an edge he'll start sliding over it before he falls...
Old 2012-11-27, 02:20
Magic Ball Master

I could manage to do the raycast, it works in most of cases
here is a sample video
http://youtu.be/3AkX521QJjc
it also shows dialogs in action
drown animation include vertical movement under water. If idle animation was playing instead of drown, you would see twinsen standing right above water surface. I had to modify collision shell and raise level of water.
I won't comit drown animation, only SMD, it's only for testing purpose.
Old 2012-11-28, 00:48
Do the evolution.

That's really cool.

Btw... we really need to do something with the speed this game works at, for me at around 25-30 fps it's slowish- for you it seems twinsen moves at twice the speed I have...

It's really inconsistent.

Since from what I understand you clock all the movement speed from v-synch and 60fps, can't you divide that by three or so, so that even on 20 fps the amount of steps made and distance covered regardless of someone having 30 or 60 fps is the same??
Old 2012-11-28, 02:58
Magic Ball Master

try the new version then. I added a new option in config file, last line, called "render interval". Make sure you have VSync on in config file and on your GPU options

If value is 1 scene is rendered at your monitor refresh rate, or less if your GPU can't do it.
If value is 3 (for example), engine will update the rendering every 3 frames. The 2 other frames are still there for physics, mouse and keyboard but display is not computed/updated, it's just the same rendering shown 3 times. Thus you need less GPU at the end. You would need 1/3 GPU than the first case. On the other hand the rendering looks like 20FPS, even if real FPS is 60. But at least you get animations playing at the good speed.
Right now I setup this value to 3 in config file, so that you can test it directly. Please let me know if with this feature you get 60FPS at the end. A program like FRAPS can measure it.
Also remember launching game through command line remove the editor GUI thus should ease task for the GPU. Finally you can reduce the two "frame buffer object size" in config file.

Edit : having a value of 2 (fake 30FPS) looks almost like having a value of 1, it's just a bit less smooth. But you use half GPU so it's interesting value.

Last edited by David; 2012-11-28 at 03:13.
Old 2012-11-28, 11:10
Do the evolution.

3 seems to work best with low fps. The sewers work really well, the outside is a bit choppy - but with 3 at least I get the same distance and walking speed.

However, when I run LSA in the terminal I get this message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid monstrosity
Warning: No support for swap control(VSYNC)
Old 2012-11-28, 16:56
Magic Ball Master

I suppose VSYNC works anyway, this warning is to check if your GPU has advanced VSYNC support, such as skipping half of frames. It seems not.

The new value in config file do it in a similar way, but don't need any requirements on GPU side.

A simple way to check if VSYNC doesn't work is if you get the animations rendering way too fast.
Old 2012-12-10, 00:38
Magic Ball Master

heroe footsteps sounds are now in function of material you setup in collision map. Added some few sounds for the event, and setup Horadrim snow footstep sound in hamalayi map.
Old 2012-12-10, 11:31
Do the evolution.

Awesome!

Btw. where can I modify the gunshot for the soldiers? The bullets should follow a curve downwards and hit the ground at some point.
Old 2012-12-10, 21:17
Magic Ball Master

the bullets do have this type of curves

to change bullet sound you must check soldier script :
/trunk/scripts/soldier.lua
line 124
play_sound_random_pitch(this,"assets/sounds/shoot.wav")
Old 2012-12-16, 23:14

So it has come to this. David, while I can't say that I don't appreciate your effort, I'd certainly say that there is quite a lot of room for improvements.

One particular thing that worries me is how lua scripting is currently designed. The problem is, you see, that at the moment the game is forced to run tens of quite sophisticated scripts 60 (or is it 30?) times per second. It is a huge hit on performance. Also, scripts became increasingly less readable and manageable over time: you just have to look at the script which governs the player - it's more than 10kb in size.

I'd like to propose a solution: instead of creating a tangled mess of branching code in a single update function, you should design a certain number of callbacks (events, hooks, whatever suits your mindset). A callback is basically a script which will be called by the game whenever some game event takes place.

For example, a magicball: let's assume it has a "onCollide" callback. Whenever the ball collides with something, it gets called. Game would notify the script which object did it collide with, and based on that the script will make a decision: either the ball will continue to bounce, or it will deal damage to the collided entity and return back to the player.
Other examples would be "onAction" callback for levers/platforms/whatever, "onCreate" for practically any entity to perform some additional setup, "onHit" for living entities to play a suitable animation.

Of course you need to carefully design those callbacks, but it would be quite useful in the long run, not to mention that soon enough scripts will become too heavy even for 30fps.
Old 2012-12-17, 17:39
Magic Ball Master

I understand your point. Callbacks are much more intuitive than what I have now. Scripts should be splitted and called at the right time for the sake of readability.
Then there should be a menu that let you chose the callback you work on in the editor, it seems wise.
For now I'll add the creation/loop/destruction ones.
I started writing lua functions description in docs folder.
Old 2012-12-22, 15:17
Magic Ball Master

WIP for inventory and behaviour menus :
http://youtu.be/_dhYTAE5noc
The behaviour menu shows which behaviour is currently playing, and shows in which direction the player is walking. Can be useful when heroe can't be seen.
Old 2013-01-01, 14:28
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Great! I didn`t have internet connection in my home for some time, so I wasn`t pretty much in touch what`s going on here, but it seems that I`ve missed a lot. :P

P.S. Happy New Year!
Old 2013-01-01, 17:36
Magic Ball Master

Happy new year too to all of you ! I hope amazing stuff happen to you.
And also hope we see this project evolve a bit
I'm on savegames, inventory and quests feature.
Old 2013-02-24, 15:10
Magic Ball Master

This is main menu, with Jasiek island scene, and Kitarii soundtrack.
http://youtu.be/Fxa63WxsDow
From this menu you get to saved games.
This is still on progress and on local hard drive, I will comit it soon on SVN.
Old 2013-02-24, 15:17
You what?!

Which track of mine? It's fine, I just don't remember writing one for you!
Old 2013-02-24, 15:28
You what?!

Holy cow, that is an ancient track. It's really terrible haha, can I get you to use a different one?

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools