Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2010-05-17, 20:56
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

[Ad] Little Worlds Studio - CosmiCrew Open Beta

Hi all !

I wanted to inform you that we (LWS) just released an open beta of our new coming online title : CosmiCrew (http://www.cosmicrew.com/).

Please feel free to try it and to bring us with any report / suggests / opinion / etc.

You would also be able to challenge us (such as Didier alias Diochou or myself alias sviannay, not as fun as Didier's nickname I admit ) as we periodically organize debug sessions (stay updated with the news).

The game concept is based on a copperative multi-player spaceship pilot engine, each member controlling one reactor. Different game modes (at this stage only two are availables : exploration and races between 2 teams). You can of course customize your avatar and create/customize your own spaceships.

We hope to welcome you soon on board !
Twinsenly,

Last edited by Lbas; 2010-05-17 at 21:09.
Old 2010-05-18, 02:13
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Cool stuff, concept seems interesting
*goes sign up*

Would you like feedback here, or do you have your own thread/board you'd prefer us to post on?
Old 2010-05-18, 10:59
The only Belgian Sphero

Send a message via MSN to fanlba Send a message via Yahoo to fanlba
I've already heard about this game but I've not tried it yet.. Shame on me ^^
Old 2010-05-18, 11:48

Darkflame : Hi !
For feedbacks, please use the CosmiCrew website directly (forums + feedbacks)

Many thanks !
Old 2010-05-18, 20:39
Magic Ball Master

Sounds interesting, I wish I had the time to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbas View Post
Twinsenly,
Old 2010-05-19, 01:45
The return of

I registered a few weeks back. To be honest I haven't had the time to give it a proper go yet though.

Didn't see an intro video last time, helps quite a bit in understanding the game concept

Anyway, nice stuff and good luck with it Seb
Old 2010-05-19, 02:13
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I just gave it a go and gave some initial feedback.
Its really hard to judge on an early impression, as its clearly a game were you (as a player) will develop skill while playing it, rather then merely a game where your character levels up. (though there is that too).
The controls are so strange...yet pleasing when you get it right. Perhaps it could be a bit more fluid, but then, that will probably come with some ship upgrades.

Overall I'm liking the fact its so different to most games. It feels a little like one of those expirementing newgrounds games you see....only with a much bigger budget.
Old 2010-05-19, 12:01
Do the evolution.

Will this work under Linux... ? (most likely a futile question ) Or at least under wine.

Game seems like a really cool concept, although I somehow can't imagine cooperating with other people to steer a ship like that, unless I'm gtting the idea all wrong.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2010-05-19 at 12:06.
Old 2010-05-19, 12:31

Unfortunately, it's windows only (using DirectX), not sure if Wine will allow you to run DirectX based applications.
For your cooperating doubt, you'll may be very surprised by the fun piloting a ship with 7 other guys (different ship models can holds 3,4,6 or 8 reactors). Voice chat is supported so manytimes the captain gives orders by voices (shouts) . Each reactor may have some equipment like weapons (to fight monsters or other team in race mode),lights (to explore dark areas),mechanic arm (to get items not reachable by the ship), and shield. You can even eject yourself from the ship and explore the map with your pilot, allowing also to reach small areas where ships can't.
And many more, waiting for your feedbacks
Old 2010-05-20, 13:59
Do the evolution.

I played games like The Witcher, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dreamfall, Oblivion on wine and they're all nice and smooth, I even have some DX10 libraries for ME2 on it, so that's coverred. Steam and all the Orange box games work nicely too. - I'm constantly surprised people don't really know how versatile it is, even in the gaming industry. The basics are all coverred by wine, but as this is still a beta, and there's probably no appdb page on the Wine site there might be some small thing that might make it unplayable.

Will there be a mac version? We have some people using a mac here too. And I'm sure they'd like to support you guys somehow.
Old 2010-05-20, 17:45
Classic

Have you tried in linux? It works in the browser so it could well work just fine under linux with the right set up, even if it hasn't been tested with it.
Old 2010-05-20, 20:01
The return of

Whats the point of either a mac or Linux port? That would, at least from a business perspective, be a total waste of time (likely profit vs time spent porting, the latter wins)

Just my two cents!
Old 2010-05-20, 21:56
Do the evolution.

Not really no, - your numbers are off. A mac port expands the possible market (and revenue) by around 15%, a Linux port by further 5%. Once you have a Mac port you can make a Linux port for a fraction of the cost. Then, with some products there's smart phones, either on Symbian or Android. Why'd you think Valve released Steam for mac five days ago? Or why is ID software making it's games and engines cross platform for ages? It's cost effective, and the market is pretty starved - meaningg that the average Mac or Linux user buys more, by percent games when they become available then the average windows user. Also if you start making your engine cross-platform from the start, you can try and squeze some more revenue when your sale's drop.

Back ontopic:
I'll try and apply for/download the beta when I have the time, and maybe make an AppDB page for it if t works then

Last edited by Jasiek; 2010-05-21 at 12:42.
Old 2010-05-21, 11:08
Classic

It basically depends how hard it is to port.
I must admit, I'm a little confused, as this seemed fully browser based when I played.
If it was an active-x plugin it must have downloaded quickly without me seeing :P
(I confess I thought it was just advanced Flash, seeing as I've seen decent 3d done in it).
Old 2010-05-21, 11:37

You're right, it's browser based, but it doesn't use an ActiveX plugin nor flash player, it's based on Java applet, so while it's not (yet) Mac & Linux compatible (at least as native), it's browser compatible.
A feature not yet already seen (at least in my knowledge) is even it's browser based, you have an option to play it in true FullScreen mode.
Please let me know if it's running under Wine,
Many thanks
Old 2010-05-21, 12:44
Classic

Cool thanks for the explanation.
I think the only other game (to my knowledge) doing something similar to that is runescape.
www.runescape.com They have 3d graphics and a nice fullscreen option, also working with Java.
Their shading doesn't seem nearly as advanced as yours though. (just textures/transparency's....no specular lighting)
Old 2010-05-21, 18:32
Do the evolution.

Well so far, when running in Firefox with Java 6.200.2 installed (all under wine), when I run the game I get an image of a round ship (the game logo essentially), a loading bar, but when it's on 100% the screen in the browser changes to black and firefox says it's "done" on the status bar at the bottom.

Here's the console output from the moment I start firefox:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console
text [email address]-me2/drive_c/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/jasiek/.wine-me2" wine firefox.exe
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x110f60 0
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x32fd14
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xf3e9dc, overlapped 0xf3e9c0): stub
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7} could be created for context 0x3
fixme:file:MoveFileWithProgressW MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH unimplemented
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\extensions.cache" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x142bbc (nil)
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\extensions.ini" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x142bbc (nil)
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\extensions.rdf" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x142bbc (nil)
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\prefs.js" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x13bf94 (nil)
text [email address]-me2/drive_c/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox$ fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33fd14
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\xpti.dat" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x13bc0c (nil)
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x10fe9dc, overlapped 0x10fe9c0): stub
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {591209c7-767b-42b2-9fba-44ee4615f2c7} could be created for context 0x3
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\compreg.dat" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x13f97c (nil)
fixme:resource:GetGuiResources (0xffffffff,0): stub
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x30086, 0x138e20): stub
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4125dd96-e03a-4103-8f70-e0597d803b9c} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4125dd96-e03a-4103-8f70-e0597d803b9c} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4125dd96-e03a-4103-8f70-e0597d803b9c} could be created for context 0x3
fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\users\\jasiek\\Dane aplikacji\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\297gyrod.default\\localstore.rdf" 1 536870916 (nil) (nil) 0x16616c (nil)
fixme:ole:snapshot_QueryGetData (0x16b048, 0x33ef8c {cf 000d ptd (nil) aspect 1 lindex -1 tymed 1})
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33d370) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x2dee6c0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x2dee6c0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x74e5e0) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x2dee384,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 255
fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x1984d8): semi-stub
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33fa58) using GetSystemInfo()
err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x4dad9c8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x4dad9dc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1db858,0x1db7c8): stub
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
Exception in thread "main" netscape.javascript.JSException: Plugin instance for applet ID 1 was already released
at sun.plugin2.main.server.LiveConnectSupport.getInfo(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.server.LiveConnectSupport.shutdown(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMInstance.unregisterApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMInstance.recycleAppletID(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMManager.recycleAppletID(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.server.MozillaPlugin.stopApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.main.server.MozillaPlugin.destroy(Unknown Source)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x84e6c0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x84e6c0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x74e5e0) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x84e384,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 255
fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x17db68): semi-stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x1f65d9c8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x1f65d9dc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1d3198,0x1d3108): stub
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize

It would seem that it needs double buffering, but Linux can only supply a single buffer through wine? No idea how to get past that.

Also, I have Java installed on Linux (it's cross-platform), but the game forwards me to the Sun Java download page anyway.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2010-05-21 at 18:54.
Old 2010-05-22, 05:59

Ok thanks for the feeback, I'll have a look and let you know, but now go to the sea/beach for that sunny week-end
BTW: don't hesitate to post it on the site reporting pages, so ti will be easier to keep track.
Thanks again
Old 2010-05-22, 13:57
Lemonhead

Wonderful! Just had a quick look, nothing's loading when I try to play - my laptop is screwed up. When I've got more time later I'll try to get it working and have some feedback for ya's
Old 2010-05-23, 18:06
Polly parrot

For some reason the sound isn't working...

I use Firefox 3.6.3 and java consol 6.0.20
Old 2010-05-25, 19:51

Jast: arg, could you please tell me more about your config/browser/os etc ?
Polaris: Which OS are you running please ?
Old 2010-05-25, 21:13
Polly parrot

You mean on the computer itself ? Windows Vista familial premium, service pack 2

When I try to launch the game, I have this error message :

Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	8365

If I click on OK, the game launches normally, but without any sounds.
Old 2010-05-25, 22:13

Ok thanks.
Very strange though, we already experienced same issues on other projects, but were on Win2k (that's why I asked you, just in case). I'll investigate on it and let you know.
Old 2010-05-25, 22:22

Jasiek: In fact we use multiple backbuffers in our engine, but if it fails to CreateDevice(), the backbuffer count should be set automatically by DirectX to the max supported by the gfx card/driver, and I try to recall CreateDevice() which usually pass successfully. If your issue is based on this, it would mean that the DX port on Wine don't meet this requirement. To check it, I made a fix in our engine (by forcing backBufferCount in failure case), the lead prog (Raphael Benedetto) of CosmiCrew just have to rebuild, I'll let you know when the fix will be integrated and released.
Old 2010-05-26, 01:56
Do the evolution.

Wow, awesome .

Thanks, I'll be waitng to test it then!