Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2010-10-20, 16:10
Magic Ball Master

Fréd reveals Treasure Hunter Institute (THI) + Beta Test

At Ludoid
At Ubisoft

Here's some initial information.

Credit again goes to A-n-d-r-é for notifying me of these news.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Treasure Hunter Institute.jpg‎
Views:	1216
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	8538  
Old 2010-10-20, 20:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
News! Wow!
*goes check it*
Old 2010-10-20, 22:43
Polly parrot

MMMMMM, tasty news !

Let's see...
Old 2010-10-20, 23:47
Lemonhead

Quote:
The username "Twinsen" is not available
Old 2010-10-20, 23:57
Magic Ball Master

So basically, it's Uncharted + MMORPG + Point and Click - Third-Person Shooting?
Old 2010-10-21, 00:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I must admit the first comparison that came to my mind was the online Myst game...hopefully this will be more successfull
Old 2010-10-21, 08:26
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I must admit the first comparison that came to my mind was the online Myst game...hopefully this will be more successfull
Considering it's a Fred's game it will be...not

It looks tasty, though Much better than Battle tag.

Must...play.

Note: Fred was working on THI after all :O

Old 2010-10-21, 11:12
Previously Link

The graphics look poor/ugly.
I don't get much the concept of a geocatching video game, while you can actually do that in real life.

I won't say good things about it just because it's Fred's: this game looks quite uninspired.

* Link is disapointed.

Although this is just a feeling I get from the screenshots and description, the gameplay might actually be good, who knows... But a game is not only about gameplay.
Old 2010-10-21, 15:40
Classic

I dont think its exactly a geocaching game, more a puzzle/exploration, also the promotion of user created content makes it in a rather under-served genre.
(despite being exactly what you want for any online multiplayer games - even the Lego MMO hardly has any real UGC integrated into the gameplay).

Also, while you can geocache in reallife, youd need a pretty big travel budget to emulate this :P

Also graphics look ok to me. Clearly not massive budget, but reasonable. A little bit more polish in a few places and it will be fine.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-10-21 at 16:18.
Old 2010-10-21, 18:10
Do the evolution.

Yeah looks nice to me. Also recently I enjoy exploration games more then any other type.

Let's see if it works with WINE!
Downloading the game 484MB at 830kbps

Last edited by Jasiek; 2010-10-21 at 18:17.
Old 2010-10-21, 20:47
Classic

Gave it a quick whirl.
Its certainly not going to be for everyone...but I liked it...a lot.
It still feels rather basic with the current missions, but I can see it growing a lot. Allowing anyone to make missions really is a killer feature, as is the structure (people making popular/highly-rated missions get rewarded in various ways).

I think its basically a game thats got a lot of room to grow, and a lot of room for users to invent their own gameplay in. (might become popular with roleplayers)
Old 2010-10-21, 20:50
Do the evolution.

Well I installed it fine, it ran, showed me a background in a window, then displayed a debugger with a crash report that crashed...

So maybe I'll try it in a clean prefix later - seeing it tried to install everything it needs (like directx and some other windows stuffs).
Old 2010-10-21, 20:57
Look beyond reality.

Hmm, been playing it for the past 10 minutes, and I did nothing but walk. The graphics are butt-ugly, and I haven't met any NPC/player. This shit is boring *uninstall*
Old 2010-10-21, 21:51
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Hmm, been playing it for the past 10 minutes, and I did nothing but walk. The graphics are butt-ugly, and I haven't met any NPC/player. This shit is boring *uninstall*
Thus you can remove any of my possible allegory to a GOTY like Uncharted.
Old 2010-10-21, 23:00
Classic

Its clearly not supposed to be anything like Uncharted, however.
Its more for people looking for a slower paced game, more Arg-ish or probably like that Oceany exploring game for the Wii I cant remember the name of. That doesn't make it a bad though.

Not to sure about no NCPs though, I took some of the example missions and there was NCPs I spoke too. One gave (a bit too easy) Rebus like puzzles.
There also seems scope for races of various sorts given the vehicles.
Old 2010-10-22, 00:06
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
The graphics look poor/ugly.
I don't get much the concept of a geocatching video game, while you can actually do that in real life.

I won't say good things about it just because it's Fred's: this game looks quite uninspired.

Although this is just a feeling I get from the screenshots and description, the gameplay might actually be good, who knows... But a game is not only about gameplay.
I agree on this; it's a dull project. Even it's name is soooo unoriginal and lame... plus, as yourself said, the whole fun of "treasure hunting" is in real life, to emulate all those beautiful scenarios in 3D is a waste, in my opinion. I think 3D is a tool to be used to create new, different, impossible and intangible worlds, not to recreate in a much poor way the great sensation that is to go somewhere in real life.

And even if going to such places irl might be expensive, specially for kids from 8 to 13 y.o. who are probably the public for such games, to wander into any forest/park/naturalreserve, no matter how small it might be, and play there with your friends, would be more fun than meeting them in this, in front of a screen eating oreos.

Thumbs down.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-10-22, 01:46
Classic

Did you even try the game? Its not just wondering around a map like half of you seem to think

Its more like a ARG/Puzzle game set in a massive landscape.
I just completed "THE LAST STAND" mission which was quite a hard one needing a little bit of maths to work out fully. (would have been easier with some of the other equipment, mind you).

Quote:
And even if going to such places irl might be expensive, specially for kids from 8 to 13 y.o. who are probably the public for such games
And what makes you think the target audience is 8-13?

Seems more suitable for the professor-Layton esq crowd to me. Much older on average. I dont think young kids would have the patience for this at all. (allthough it would depend on the mission).

Quote:
the whole fun of "treasure hunting" is in real life
Everythings better in real life though, you could argue the same thing for any sports game, racing game, flying, fishing, hell...even paintballing is "better" then a FPS game. Yet people enjoy those video games. You never played Mario Kart because its not as good as real life?

This is a game for people that like exploration. If I lived next to a real forest with lots of ruins, temples and secrets to explore in my buggy or boat....sure, I'd do it.
But I can't. So this videogame does that. It also lets me set up quests over the landscape and share them with others all over the world. Something I cant do at all in real life.

Having worked on a few ARG games (unfortunately in dutch), the potential for this system actually really excites me because its actually very flexible. It does need work, but it has good creative possibility's. A lot of stuff in this was precisely what was missing from the Lego Universe beta I played over.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-10-22 at 02:01.
Old 2010-10-22, 03:04
The return of

You know, I was almost certain it wouldn't happen. Looks promising to be honest, can't wait to give it a play...
Old 2010-10-27, 09:00
LOLwut?

Well, I signed in. I'm gonna download the game when I have the time.

Mixed opinions so far, it seems :S

But I won't judge without playing it.

Somebody make a wiki article, pretty please? :P

Old 2010-10-27, 12:01
Polly parrot

I signed up, now, what should I do ? It's said that I'll get an email with informations on how to download, but I didn't get anything...
Old 2010-10-27, 20:57
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Did you even try the game? Its not just wondering around a map like half of you seem to think
Oh I don't doubt there's more to it than just strolling through a landscape, but a game also needs to be clear on what the goal is for the player. For me it wasn't clear at all, so I just kept wandering about. That's a game design flaw as much as any other.
Old 2010-10-27, 21:02
Classic

In that case submit it on the bug report thing
There was already suggestion of a better tutorial/starting bit in the forums.
(although that was more down to functional confusion rather then what-to-do)

Interesting I see parallel now with LBAnet, both in some ways are great explorable landscapes waiting to be filled with quests and stuff to do.
Old 2010-10-29, 10:27
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Smile From the THI HQ

Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you and become a part Fréd’s community! We are proud to benefit from Fréd’s great experience as a creative director, in addition to his global input over our game.

I am Sorin, your main point of contact inside the THI Development team, and the first thing I want to mention is how happy we are at seeing such enthusiasm towards our game!

So let’s address your comments right away, since you were kind enough to share them:
First of all, many thanks to Darkflame for the feedback! We really appreciate how interested you are in THI!
Double-J: it’s hard to pigeon-hole the game, we’re trying to create something original.
Link & Bot13: we are using a good engine and are aiming for better graphics so we will definitely update them but still keep the game accessible on mid-range computers.
Jasiek: had any luck running the game in Wine?
Polaris: did you finally get the email confirming you have been granted access? If not, please contact me via PM and I’ll investigate.
Bot13: I’d really like to hear more about what seemed confusing or unclear to you. Can you please send me a PM with more details?

Once again, we are happy to see you join us in this adventure; don’t forget that since it’s closed beta, all items, content and treasure hunts are accessible for free!

Don’t hesitate to share the fun, there is plenty of room around here, and through feedback you are helping us design the game YOU want to play!
I will be around quite often, so please don’t hesitate to give us your feedback via the in-game button, as well as on our official forum or feel free to PM me directly.

Have a great treasure hunt and hopefully see you on THI!

Sorin
Old 2010-10-29, 16:13
Zebrazilla

I wish I could jump in this game. It would add a lot, as it may add an element of having to, shall we say, trickjump to otherwise inaccesible areas.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2010-10-29, 16:55
Classic

Yes, I agree jump of some form is a must-have. It would add a bit more "completeness" to the controls, if nothing else. (I mean, I can explore a vaste landscape, I can swim and dive..even fall down a mounting...but I can't jump? )
-----

Sorin - Thanks for joining up to keep us informed.

Personaly, I love the game so far - but I've always loved ARG games (been a coder/designer of a few), and I find the puzzles in this somewhat similar to those games.

I'm also can see the engine is pretty impressive. The landscape is vast, yet runs smooth on mine with no noticeable LODing or pop-ups. I only looked at the editing tools briefly, but they seemed pretty nicely put together. A good balance between accessibility and power. In fact, I can't remember any other game I played that had such well integrated user-generated content!

That said, the actual graphic assets themselves (models,mesh's,animation) could do with some improvement in areas, and I can see plenty of area's where the gameplay could grow in the coming months, so expect lots of feedback/bug-reports at least from me

Also, thanks for emphasizing that the game is completely free for all content at the moment. Although I worked that out from a thread on the other forum, when I first played I was a little confused by the restricted area's.
The fact we can get free credit/subscriptions during testing helps a lot.