Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-05-09, 06:03

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Just saw the latest lost (the episode after the one you've been talking about).

Absolute filler trash. Worse ep than the previous. The entire structure of the story seems to be bending in on itself: Spoiler:
I'm talking about the entire self fullfilling prophecy. None of the characters have any long term goals. Typically you would say that they have not yet been revealed, but Lost has always revealed long term plot goals before. Now it seems to be all about "Well this and that happened in the future so we need to make sure that it does happen! Alright, we have to go here and here and do this and that, so that we can fullfill our future events." What, that's it? That's the whole bloody plot? And now what? Let's blow up the Hydrogen bomb in an attempt to change the past only to probably have it end up creating the future we all know, in a big climactic twist? How does that even make sense?

Locke gets his leg shot and is approached by Richard who heals him and gives him the watch. He tells him all of this, as it turns out, because Locke from the future instructs him to do it. But why does Locke instruct him to do it? Because he remembers that it happened in the past? So what we get is an infinite loop:

Locke from the past gets a compass from Richard because Locke from the future told Richard to do it because Lock from the past got a compass from Richard.

Same thing with Daniel. Daniel gets shot by his Mom. Why does he get shot? Because his Mom made him go to the Island because she remembers that she shot him.

The story's full of this nonsense and nobody really has addressed it properly. Self fullfilling prophecy BS.
Old 2009-05-09, 09:43
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
Lost cont'd
Spoiler:

I suspect the finale will end in a much unanticipated way, not just showing everything happened as supposed.

And regarding time travel loops and paradoxes, well it seems that they did fall into that pit with the compass, they managed to avoid it to this point quite nicely.

But with Daniel and his Mom it is not a paradox even if whatever happened happened(as I believe will soon be confirmed).
There is only one time line, that occurs in one way.

Edit: http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/200...st-season.html
check this out. They refer both the comic-con video hearing faraday talking and the compass loop.
what they say according the compass doesn't sound good at all...

"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying

Last edited by Bomba!; 2009-05-09 at 13:18.
Old 2009-05-09, 22:09

Aye. It's going down the hill.
Old 2009-05-09, 23:45
weee

*ignores the negatively charged people*

Lost 5x15 - Awesome as usual. I have no real idea what's going on, and neither do most of the characters, but that's Lost for you.

Dollhouse 1x11 & 1x12 - Excellent. But now, there's two weeks break before the next episode. Spoiler:
I don't think Former Special Agent Ballard is compromised. He pretends to work for the Dollhouse because of the message he got: "The Dollhouse's business is fantasy, but it is not their purpose, find what their purpose is."

Oh and (1x11), Spoiler:
"Eden wasn't a prison." "Are you kidding me? The apples were monitored."
Old 2009-05-10, 01:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Aye. It's going down the hill.
Steady on.
I havnt seen the last eppisode yet, but even with that its only 2 bad epps.

The rest of the season has been 95% absolutely ace. (and the other 5% being the love-square bits).
Old 2009-05-10, 09:12
weee

More about Lost 5x15 Spoiler:
Infinitely old compass! I knew it. It doesn't come to dust when Richard give it to Locke (but why was it rusty before?). If it's stuck in a time loop, I'd say, so is Richard. At some point, he'll go back in time to whenever he started being on the island, and forget about his past in order to relive it again and again forever. Which means he was born in another time line. Or something like that.

And and another thing:
Why can't Kate just die already?! I always hated that annoying Kate. At the very least make it clear that she's a villain...
Old 2009-05-10, 09:24
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
lost 15 cont'd
Spoiler:

Infinite loop compass is stupid. Multiple timelines is equivalent to ending this show with everything being Jack's dream.

They have to stick with one timeline(also no loops), and whatever happened happened(to avoid paradoxes). but now it seems not to be the case - I fear it won't be tied up well.
Which is disappointing, at first I thought they manage to handle all the time traveling illogical outcomes quite nicely.
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2009-05-10, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Dollhouse 1x11 & 1x12 - Excellent. But now, there's two weeks break before the next episode. Spoiler:
I don't think Former Special Agent Ballard is compromised. He pretends to work for the Dollhouse because of the message he got: "The Dollhouse's business is fantasy, but it is not their purpose, find what their purpose is."

Oh and (1x11), Spoiler:
"Eden wasn't a prison." "Are you kidding me? The apples were monitored."
What next episode? The show is over. Ep 13 is DVD only. You just saw the series finale.

And I don't mean to be pessimistic, but considering that Joss stated that he's through with TV shows and that the ratings for Dollhouse have been alltime low...well...renewal doesn't seem likely.
Old 2009-05-10, 10:51
Idyllic + whimsical

Scrubs series finale
Nicely done, couldn't think of a better way to do it, gonna miss the show.

X-Men: The Animates Series - Season 1
Due to a friend talking about it, I decided to rewatch the series.
Ummm, it's pretty awful nowadays. The animation looks a bit awkward at times, and the lines can be so terribly corny. Sometimes I also noticed some extremely obvious continuity errors, like Wolverine with his yellow costume having sleeves and a moment later he doesn't.
It also REALLY bugs me the inconsistency in their strengths, like when Cyclops in one moment shoots his laser and it barely hurts someone, and in another moment he cuts a Sentinel's head off. Also what's up with Sabertooth slightly scratching Wolverine, and then Wolverine's unconscious for a while and needs bandages?
Still it's nice to watch in memory of the good days, and from the 2 episodes I watched of season 2 there's an improvement.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2009-05-10, 13:10
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Oh, yes, it did get better in the later seasons. (I think I prefered the Spiderman series overall though.)
Also, I think cyclops could vary how much his visor lets though.
Old 2009-05-10, 13:56
Idyllic + whimsical

Yeah, I want to give the Spider-Man series a go later. I particularly miss the Sins of the Father story arc.
The thing about Cyclops is that what I said happened also when he was just with his sunglasses.
Old 2009-05-10, 16:54
weee

Dollhouse is cancelled? Lightwing link plz
Old 2009-05-10, 19:19
Classic

Its not canceled yet, its just very unlikely to be picked up for a second season given the creator is pessimistic, viewing figures arnt good, and well, its Joss Whedon + Fox.

Quote:
The thing about Cyclops is that what I said happened also when he was just with his sunglasses.
umm...well...err...he squinted? :P
Old 2009-05-10, 20:25
Classic

Lost s5epp15 - Seemed an ok eppisode to me. The most important point being;
Spoiler:
Jacob and "the monster" not on the same side.
Alex/Monster said to ban not to kill locke, locke wants Jacob dead, ergo....

Also, this explains the magnetic volcanic ash around the hut....its Jacobs defense against the monster.
But the monster is now operating ver a proxi.

Lost Replies
Spoiler:

Quote:
Same thing with Daniel. Daniel gets shot by his Mom. Why does he get shot? Because his Mom made him go to the Island because she remembers that she shot him.
No, she made him goto the island inspite of her shotting him.
She knew it was nesscery for them to go back to the island, not just because she remembered it, but presumably because she can extrapolate out what would happen if he did not.
If he didnt go, the future/present would have been worse, or possibly even not existed at all.
It was (apperently) the lesser evil, hence her talk to Widmore.

As for long term goals, Locke seems to know exactly what he is doing.
Jack just wants to erase everything that happened.
Jin wants to get her husband back.
Sawyer just wants to live happily ever after etc etc.
Ben seems to be in a complete yet brillent mess, which is just wonderfull after seasons of him manipulating everyone.

The only big gap in the goals is Richard, but I'm guessing his backstory wont be covered till next season.

Yes, your right, they probably wont change the future.
But it would be a pretty big cop-out if they did, given we have been told repeatively that you cant. (and I hate "it never happened" plotlines).
To me it makes more sense that Faraday was wrong when he changed his mind.

On the other hand, thats not to say they will have no effect, merely no effect that will effect anything they remember.

Quote:
Infinite loop compass is stupid. Multiple timelines is equivalent to ending this show with everything being Jack's dream.
Not necessary.
The infinite compass thing is stupid...allthough their is still room to explain it, I do think they have messed up.

However, the idea of multiple timelines isnt invalid even if everything happens happens.
It merely means all the other timelines must cancel out to the same one.

This is actualy the correct, most logical, way time travel would work.

Think about the act of traveling back in time.
Your mere presence would change things....displaced air, heat, mass....even if you did absolutely nothing, you have changed the timeline.
Now, this means, as time goes on, its still changed even if its by a slight amount.
That means the "you" before you go back in time is now in a different position. Maybe only by a few atoms, maybe a few different nurons firing in the brain.
But by changing the past you cant help but change the you that traveled back.
That means, the "you" in the past after you traveled back has also now changed which means....yes, thats right, even more changes progate forward in time...then backwards to you...then forward again.
You get a loop.
A loop that will never stop unless its stable.
Unless the changes form a stable timeline. That is, one where the you that travels back in time dosnt have any effect on the you in the future.

So, in many ways, all the alternative timelines instantly vanish. Theres no reason to suspect changes in the timeline happen slowly. (which is how back-to-the-future depicts it), so whatever you do...from the point of view of what you remember....is what happened.

But thats not to say the timeline it stablise's on is nesscery the "original" one. Just for all intense and purpose's the universe and everyone in it, would never notice.
I (personaly) think the most likely scanero is the minimum change nesscery to make the timetravel have no effect would be the one that would happen.
Like the path-of-least-resistance.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-10 at 20:47.
Old 2009-05-15, 16:42
Idyllic + whimsical

Lost's season finale is the most frustrating ever.
I dig the white background though.
Old 2009-05-16, 01:53
Father of Shoda

I.Hate.Cliffhangers.

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2009-05-16, 13:18
Classic

Its the end of tv as we know it....

Smallville S7final - blah. Starts quite good, nice fightscene, then their budget clearly run out with nothing explained. A hell of a lot of plotthreads dangleing for next season, but not really in a good way.
Spoiler:
How did he even deal with Doomsday anyway? He flew into that building...it exploded...then cut? Why did he survive but not the supposidly stronger and invulernable creature.
And Jimmy Dead? I was supposed to believe his brother has the same name and will be the real Jimmy or what?
And Davis Bloom turning to murder? Yeah, that fits his charecter all season...err..no. They painted him constantly as a good, self-sacrificing person. But that changes when they want a silly twist..blah.
And nothing was covered with the sphere thing, Kyrptons Captal surviving etc.
Given Lois vanished in time, I suspect a lot of this might just be re-written

Fringe s1season final - Whoaaa...utterly brillent.So many cool things coming together and you gota love that ending.
Spoiler:
Presumably in that reality the Whitehouse was targeted, given the newspaper.

The Spoiler:
grave shot was a little predictable, after so many "I dont remember that" moments all season.

Oh, and darn the credits! As soon as you see the Guest star you know exactly what charecter he will be. If it wasnt for the credits, that would have been a nice supprise. :P
Still, theres a lot of synergy with Abrams works at the moment, given last weeks Fringe having a charecter explain the plot of the new trek film, as well as another bit them explaining divergant timelines. (something that helps cushion the blow for star trek fans upset that 4 series of trek history has been erased with the new film)

Glade this show is coming back anyway. Its turned into much more then the x-files clone it seemed at first.

Lost s5final - The normal insanely epic final, with so much new stuff to take in my head nearly exploded. However, from the first season I confirmed what I suspected.
Spoiler:
The monster...presumably that other guy or connected to him...is killing Jacob ver the proxi of Locke.

Likewise the fact that Spoiler:
Lockes body was in the case was very predictable.
Anyway..
Spoiler:
Glade we saw Bernard and Co again. Love the fact they had been living in ""the hut""....which explains the picture of the dog there :P

However, as clearly it hasnt been Jacob in the hut for decades, who or what ghostly image appeared there before? "Save Me" wasnt Jacobs line?
This has become even more puzzleing then normal.

The other big question is who are the other-others? The crew of the new crash persessed? How she know latin? Are they old residents of the island or.....in my most bezire thory yet....are they "our" crash survivors, that have been given new bodys in the present after the explosion killed them? (Juliet knowing latin...long shot).

And who is the other-other-Others that is "coming"? For some reason with this show it could be aliens or something else utterly bezire. Maybe the monster is an alien stranded.

As for the ending...very frustrating indeed.
I'm guessing though Lost goes for the third option.
They dont change the past, but they dont have no effect either. I expect there will be another possibility like;
a) They both trigger the incident and avoid it at the same time. Effectively duplicating themselfs. They land unharmed, but those copys of themselfs living on the island stay.
b) The explosion effects the present in some way, but the past stays uneffected.

Darn...the wait is going to be hard.

Earl s4epp27 "Dodges Dad" - Fun eppisode. The shows not quite as funny as it once was, but is still very high quality for a comady nearly in its 5th season. Its certainly lasted much better then other sitcoms.

Still got the finals of Terminator,24 and Prison Break to watch...then thats tv over for a while.
But...

Good news folks though as;

DOLLHOUSE IS RENEWED.
(with a lower budget, mind)

So theres good tv back later, we just gota wait.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-16 at 13:32.
Old 2009-05-16, 21:43
D0PEFISH

Anyone catch the Prison break finale?
Old 2009-05-16, 23:38
Classic

not yet, still a few eppisodes behind.
Old 2009-05-17, 15:23
weee

Lost season 5 finale: I'll just say OMG, because no words I can say will do it justice right now.

Fringe season 1 finale was cool. Seriously: Fringe is an important show. Like, I mean, for the world. It's not just entertainment, I bet at least half the ideas introduced on that show are gonna come true eventually. That's what I call sci-fi. (as opposed to say, Star Trek)

Great to know Dollhouse is renewed. See, Lightwing? There really is a candy mountain.
Old 2009-05-17, 15:49
Classic

I dunno, Id like to think star treks soceity would come true. (non-commercial, heavily science/research/exploration based development).
Old 2009-05-17, 17:06
weee

Yeah, sure, that would probably come true. What wouldn't come true is everything else in that series, which is ridiculous.

For example, humans already living on other planets, but they aren't called humans because they have a doodle on their foreheads.
Old 2009-05-17, 19:20
Classic

Well, yes, allthough they got around that by the standard scifi cop-out. ("humanoid species where seeded around the galaxy by a ancient race of blah blah blah").

The new film, incidently, goes a lot futher with showing much more alien-ish species, incidently. Not as much as Farscapes's actual-alienish designs, not even as much as Star Wars, but still pretty great compared to Star Trek upto this point.

As for other Star Trek stuff..well...hmm.
I think a transporter is highly unlikely to ever come true. Out of the possibilitys of insanely hard to do technologys, I think it would end up being easier to manipulate wormholes.
Ditto for replicators, at least, how they are depicted.

On the other hand, the Star Trek Communicator pretty much came true. And the "Tri-corder" could be made with nearly current tech.

I also think "Warp Drive" is still,technicaly speaking, the most likely theory about how to travel faster then light. Even if you do need exotic mater to do it. (hmz...where to get that....).
Then again, Warp Drive if I remember correctly was actualy "invented" by a guy called Moya. Or was that later...hmz..cant remember now.
I just remember there was some irony in Farscape naming its ship after a guy involved with real-world warp theory, but in farscape they dont use warp-drive anyway :P

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-17 at 19:26.
Old 2009-05-17, 19:24
Father of Shoda

Just watched the season finale of Smallville, it was kind of a let down :/ . Spoiler:
I mean, did doomsday die or get trapped?

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2009-05-17, 19:30
Classic

Spoiler:
I think Doomsday got swallowed up by a giant plothole.

I do know in the comics/animated superman, the story was a bit reversed though...that Doomsday started burried and then gets dug up. So maybe this was just a break in the fight and a mid way next season theres a proper fight.
But I dought it, looks like its Zod again next.

Tags
series, shows, television