Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2016-05-24, 05:06
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Casual playing

Hi everyone,

The speedrunning sub-forum is awesome for Twitch streamers like me.

I've seen Courgette007 streaming a casual playthrough of LBA 2 and wanted to leave her Twitch channel here but there's nowhere to drop it.

Could it be a great idea to add a non speedrunning but streaming sub forum?

Let me know if you have a better idea!
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-24, 10:11
Amnesti

Maybe it would be better to make it for youtube videos as well, and call it something along the lines of a let's play/playthrough sub-forum? Just making it for streaming could be a bit underwhelming, it's better if we group them together.
2nd place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Old 2016-05-24, 15:07
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
Maybe it would be better to make it for youtube videos as well, and call it something along the lines of a let's play/playthrough sub-forum? Just making it for streaming could be a bit underwhelming, it's better if we group them together.
I totally agree with that. Like a sub where everything else goes.

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-25, 20:15
Neko

So should streaming be a sub forum of speedrunning, or the other way around?
Old 2016-05-25, 21:28
Panta rei

I think he means the other way round

Streaming-->speedrunning
Old 2016-05-25, 22:02
Neko

Options:
1. Rename speedrunning to streaming, as it already has subforums for speedracing both games.
2. Add a new mainforum, speedrunning wil be a subforum of that.

Ideas?
Old 2016-05-26, 00:11
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
1. Rename speedrunning to streaming, as it already has subforums for speedracing both games.
Speedrunning isn't always related to streaming.

Quote:
2. Add a new mainforum, speedrunning wil be a subforum of that.
This looks like a great idea but I wonder what would be the appropriate name for it. Maybe something like "Player's Den".

We could have this main forum dedicated to everyone who's playing LBA.

Sections could be like :

- Player's Den - General
- First Aid
- Speedrunning
Sub-Forums: LBA1 Speedrunning, LBA2 Speedrunning

Maybe more categories could be added. Let me know if it makes sense!

You can also mod me on this main forum only if you want. I'm always in the speedrun section!

Old 2016-05-26, 14:30
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
"people playing LBA" sounds too general. More specifically its "people recording videos playing LBA" that would cover both speedruns and letsplays.

I would suggestion just have "Fan Videos" which fits with category we already have (Fan Music,Fan Games etc), and then LBA1 /2 speedrunning as a subtopic.
Old 2016-05-26, 15:28
Neko

I'll do the update tonight if everybody agrees
Old 2016-05-26, 15:57
Zebrazilla

Seeing how the LBA 2 speedrunning sub-forum is not actively used by anyone at this point in time I don't see any clear reason to object to merging both LBA 1/2 speedrunning into a general speedrunning sub-forum, below a category such as "Fan Videos".

A possible issue I could see happening in the future however is that, similar to as in the current LBA 1 speedrunning sub-forum, there will be many resource threads, guides and such for LBA 2 speedrunning and that these would be stickied in the sub-forum. We might then end up with a lot of sticky threads.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2016-05-26, 16:13
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
"people playing LBA" sounds too general. More specifically its "people recording videos playing LBA" that would cover both speedruns and letsplays.

I would suggestion just have "Fan Videos" which fits with category we already have (Fan Music,Fan Games etc), and then LBA1 /2 speedrunning as a subtopic.
I don't really like "Fan Videos" name. I'm not making videos, I'm playing live.

Old 2016-05-26, 16:26
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
That's a valid objection, I would say. "Fan Videos" as a title per say could also seem like it would nod at being for videos that are about or related to LBA and not videos of LBA itself.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-05-26, 17:28
Panta rei

Before we rearrange the forums to supply a new section for lba streaming, have we considered the actual demand for it? I can't think of many topics that would warrant a new thread in that hypothetical new section. for one-offs (like plugging courgette's channel) maybe just slap it in the general section?

Just a thought
Old 2016-05-26, 17:30
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Before we rearrange the forums to supply a new section for lba streaming, have we considered the actual demand for it? I can't think of many topics that would warrant a new thread in that hypothetical new section. for one-offs (like plugging courgette's channel) maybe just slap it in the general section?

Just a thought
I though of it like 10 min ago. But there's so much stuff posted in the General forum. We need like a playing forum I think. You find something in the game and wanna share it you can put it there.

Old 2016-05-26, 18:14
Panta rei

The general forum description is:
"The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world."

I think that's already quite similar to what you're saying. Also, there's not that much activity in the forums to justify a specific one for people who are actively 'playing' the games. if we split the general forums into 2 sections i think all that will end up happening is a dilution of thread density rather than an increase in activity.
Old 2016-05-26, 18:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I certainly dont think there should be any separation between text chatting regarding activeplay or not. Thats just silly.
Its a fair suggestion though here that the speedrunning and such is seperate from what we have already though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
That's a valid objection, I would say. "Fan Videos" as a title per say could also seem like it would nod at being for videos that are about or related to LBA and not videos of LBA itself.
Surely one is just a subcatagory of the other?
A letsplay is a specific type of fanvideo, just like speed running is a specific type of fanvideo.

I mean, I guess its possible for non-fans to make speedruns, but;
a) Why would they be doing it?
b) Why would they be on this forum :P

(I also dont see why there shouldn't be a home for other sorts of Video....)

Quote:
Surely your making a video at the same time though? Speed running is a video-medium, even if its broadcast live.

I cant think of another word that specifically encompasses visual broadcasting.
LBA LIVE! would be fun, but (as above) far too specific and narrow.

If we are too add a high-level new forum it needs to cover enough "forms" to justify it.
Video to me seems to offer a few potential subcatagories. Is there another word that can cover Speedrunning and LetsPlays without also covering what other forums cover?
Old 2016-05-26, 22:08
Polly parrot

How about something along the lines of video interaction ? After all, what characterises the streams as well is the chat.
Old 2016-05-27, 08:03
Neko

I think a 'lets play' section would be best, including speedrunning.
the only downside is that speedrunning would not be a main forum, and it would get less exposure.
Old 2016-05-27, 12:35
Neko

i can also include a slow running forum as a sub of speedrunning.

or 'casual running'
Old 2016-05-27, 13:57
Classic

Logically Letsplay can include speed running, but not visa-versa. So Letsplay would have to be the higher level one.

Speedrunning itself can be subdivided as needed (as demand warrants) regardless of where we put it.
I must admit though "Letsplays" covering speedrunning as a subcatagory doesn't seem any more clear then "Fan Videos" having both lets players and speedrunning as subcategories.

Quote:
How about something along the lines of video interaction ? After all, what characterises the streams as well is the chat.
True, almost essential to any stream.
However, I dont want to exclude potential Letsplayers here - many of whom just post on youtube rather then explicitly streaming. (theres quite a number of LBA letsplays ob youtube, would be nice to get the forum a boast from those as well as the Speedrunners ^_^ )
Old 2016-05-27, 14:40
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Logically Letsplay can include speed running, but not visa-versa. So Letsplay would have to be the higher level one.
Quote:
I think a 'lets play' section would be best, including speedrunning.
the only downside is that speedrunning would not be a main forum, and it would get less exposure.
Less exposure is a good point which may be worth considering as a potential downside, however I feel I must point out the bigger source of objection in this; While I understand the reasoning behind both your suggestions, it is not at all appropriate to equate speedruns as a sub-group of let's plays. As a speedrunner myself I feel I must warn you here that suggesting that speedruns are just a form of let's plays to speedrunners can be taken as an insult. In our minds speedrunning most often equates as being as far from let's plays as you can come. This is due to speedruns being competetive in nature and the whole draw to it is attempting to skillfully master the game. This stands in absolute opposition with the casual nature of a let's play session. Granted the player may be an avid fan of the game at hand and may be skillful at the game, but the end goal is not to skillfully master the game but rather just to play through the game in a casual manner.

As such I highly advise against speedrunning being a sub-forum of a let's play forum
Quote:
I dont want to exclude potential Letsplayers here - many of whom just post on youtube rather then explicitly streaming. (theres quite a number of LBA letsplays ob youtube, would be nice to get the forum a boast from those as well as the Speedrunners ^_^ )
I agree with this. To me there's no direct need to make distinction between streaming a let's play and prerecording it, in my mind these should be able to coexist. My personal opinion is, going back to speedrun vs. let's plays, the end goal of a streamed let's play and a prerecorded one is the same - casual gameplay within a community. If anyone disagrees I welcome exposing another view on this.

Quote:
i can also include a slow running forum as a sub of speedrunning.

or 'casual running'
Slow may not be an appropriate term however casual running could be considered in my opinion, spontaneously I don't see any issue with this.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-05-27, 14:46
Neko

so speedrunning could remain it's own thing.
Why not make 'lets play' a completely independent forum?

Speedrunning next to a 'Let's play' forum?
Old 2016-05-27, 14:47
Zebrazilla

Let me offer up a suggestion using different terminology: How does it sound to have an LBA Playthroughs category with Speedrunning and Let's play as forums? LBA 1 and LBA 2 Speedrunning sub-forums could then possibly be kept as distinct subforums of Speedrunning, similar to how they exist now.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2016-05-27, 15:35
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
Let me offer up a suggestion using different terminology: How does it sound to have an LBA Playthroughs category with Speedrunning and Let's play as forums? LBA 1 and LBA 2 Speedrunning sub-forums could then possibly be kept as distinct subforums of Speedrunning, similar to how they exist now.
This seems pretty resonable. Something like this?
  • LBA Playthroughs (As the main forum)
    - Let's Play
    - Speedrunning
    - LBA1 Speedrunning
    - LBA2 Speedrunning

Edit: it has genuinely taken me 15 minutes to get that list working correctly in the post
Old 2016-05-27, 16:28
Neko

if everyone is cool with speedrunning not being a main forum but a child, then why not.

I just think it's cool to have speedrunning so high in the list, as it is something breathing life in the games