Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2013-12-25, 20:32
Master of Degree

LBArchitect with the LBA2 Scene editing!

Hi all,

I managed to release the LBArchitect beta 9, that includes the LBA2 Scene and Script editing. And a sad news is that this may be the last version that will be released. I don't know if I will be able to continue work on this. I will however do my best to fix important bugs if they are found.

This version enables you to open, edit and save scenes from LBA2, including scripts, and including the outside scenes. However, they have to be loaded with another background (one of the existing isometric Grids). Building LBA2 stages with Designer is not possible yet.

There is also no help for the script commands. If you want to help, you may test the commands and send me anything you discover. Since I didn't have the game source, I researched the script command parameters by setting a value and testing whether all the scripts decompile well. Unfortunately, some commands are never used in the original scripts, so this method could not work for them. Because of that some commands may work strangely, while others may crash the game.

You can download the beta 9 version from my site:
http://moonbase.kazekr.net/d.php?n=L....0.0_beta9.zip

or, if the the above link does not work for you, from here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....0.0_beta9.zip

Enjoy!

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog
Old 2013-12-26, 00:22
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
wow.
Just wow.

What a present!
Really well done!
Old 2013-12-26, 15:17
Magic Ball Master

LBA community always has great gifts in this part of the season. Really great work Zink.

As I can easily understand you won't be able to work more on this tool, I just need to thank you all the hard work and effort you've been doing in this past years with all your tools, specially LBArchitect.

One last note, you should get rid of the "beta 9" suffix because the tools is so damn stable after all those versions

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-12-26, 23:26
Polly parrot

That's aweseome ! No, awesome !! Thanks you Zink
Old 2013-12-27, 10:20
Master of Degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
As I can easily understand you won't be able to work more on this tool
That's not set in stone. It may turn out I will have some time. I just can't be sure now how much or if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
One last note, you should get rid of the "beta 9" suffix because the tools is so damn stable after all those versions
Good point. I will think about it for the next release :P

Old 2014-02-09, 04:24
Quetching a Mr.

Nice job, Zink! Wow, I am very impressed! The same goes for just about everyone else. By the way, I downloaded the program. However, I am having trouble trying to save an edited already existing scene to, "LS2" format. It only allows me to save in, "LS1" format, which was what the last LBArchitect included with it. Also, how do I open up the outside scenes? Can you please tell me how to save to, "LS2" format, and how to open up outside scenes? Thanks! I hope to hear from you soon!
Old 2014-02-10, 01:20
Quetching a Mr.

I have been trying to find out how to save the LBA2 scene files. I have just figured it out for the meantime. All we are doing is simply saving over the files, and keeping back-ups to save over them again if we want restore it to the original. A nice and simple way for now. However, I sure hope to see saving seperate, "LS2" files in the future. I understand that we are all very busy, so I won't be expecting from you in awhile, Zink. This is good enough; I just put Stanley into Twinsen's house! His artificial intelligence works also! The sooner though, the better. I can't wait to see more when you receive the chance, Zink. I still need help with the outside scene files. Could you give me directions on those? Thanks a lot!
Old 2014-02-10, 10:14
Polly parrot

Who is Stanley ?
Old 2014-02-10, 15:10
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Who is Stanley ?
I'm guessing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsunica
At some place in the [Emperor's] palace, Twinsen inquires a guy called Stanley from Adeline Software International's game Time Commando.
The creatures arranged in a line and started to rape Twinsen in his anus, one by one.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
P.S. Forgot to mention that Twinsen's remains were fed to dogs.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
O.K., let's change the execution part. Maybe he was just beaten to death with clubs???
Old 2014-02-10, 18:02
Polly parrot

That guy has a name ?! I thought he simply was "the Time Commando"
Old 2014-02-10, 18:18
Quetching a Mr.

Yes. Stanley Opar from Adeline Software International's Title, "Time Commando". As an easter egg, he was also implemented into LBA 2 which can be seen in one of the sixteen rooms in the Emperors Palace on Otringal on Zeelich. Ha ha, get carried away with my speech. I know I haven't been posting as often as I used to. My last post was only yesterday and the day before, but now I think I am getting better on track and topic again.

Anyways, I just figured out how to now edit both inside and outside LBA 2 scenes. I have to say, I think it is better than LBA 1. However, LBA 1 is more, "Flexible" than that of LBA 2 at the moment. Anyways, I just made this in spare time. I set five other actors into this scene, using LBArchitect, Rabbibunnies, a Hex Editor, and the LBA Package Editor. This was the result of the screen shot and I added in subtitles for what the actors are saying. Just for fun.

The rabbibunnies are edited from entry number 122 in the BODY.HQR from LBA 2. Thus, you have a bunch of female bathing suit rabbibunnies. For those who want the models, I can set all edited models I have in a folder. From there, maybe someone can look at them, and find out how to program a program for editing not only LBA 1 models, but LBA 2 models!

This shows just how flexible you can get, not only with LBA 1, but even LBA 2. I truly think that even this is amazing, and I can't wait to see what else I can do in the near future. Oh! Right now in Twinsen's house, there is a mechanic grobo clone with the box of missles that shoots at you. I replaced Stanley with it.

I can't wait to hear from others soon. Especially all of you guys.
Old 2014-02-10, 18:22
Polly parrot

Neat I must say !
Old 2014-02-10, 23:17
Magic Ball Master

That's very nice! Are you planning on doing something specific or are you just messing around with the tools?
Old 2014-02-11, 21:22
Master of Degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
Nice job, Zink! Wow, I am very impressed! The same goes for just about everyone else. By the way, I downloaded the program. However, I am having trouble trying to save an edited already existing scene to, "LS2" format. It only allows me to save in, "LS1" format, which was what the last LBArchitect included with it. Also, how do I open up the outside scenes? Can you please tell me how to save to, "LS2" format, and how to open up outside scenes? Thanks! I hope to hear from you soon!
Hi! It's great someone is actually doing something with the program

The only available LS1 format is a bug. I just omitted the place when I was fixing the file dialogs. Alternatively you can save the grid/scene to a scenario, open the scenario as a HQR file, and then extract the LS2 file from the entry 9 (counting from 1), (which will be there only if the Scripts compile without errors).

Old 2014-02-12, 02:20
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
That's very nice! Are you planning on doing something specific or are you just messing around with the tools?
Hey, thanks! No, I am not planning on doing anything specific... Yet. That is, if any new more new tools will be coming out to edit the game as much as LBA 1, then yes, but for right now, it is a no. I am messing around with the tools. Unfortunately, I am going to have to download or buy a different hex editor. The one I just got actually started to give something bad. I can't remember if it was a virus or what not. So, for right now I can't edit any models from LBA 2, but in the future, I will be able to eventually.

Did you know? It is even possible to edit LBA 2 animations the same way? Unfortunately, it is a pain because you need to decipher and edit it using different characters such as numbers and letters. It is a real - hard pain! That is why I only edited the rabbibunny model color values, and replaced them with already existing rabbibunnies from the game. The rabbibunnies seen in the picture to their formal entry would consist of most of the rabbibunnies from Citadel Island, and some from Desert Island. Such as: Raph, Raph's Fiance, Mrs. Brune, The Painter, and the Rabbibunny whom wears a white - blue striped sleeveless shirt with a blue skirt and white shoes on Desert Island. It sure is possible though to edit animations. It is just a lot harder and more time consuming than editing the models. This is what I think at least.
Old 2014-02-12, 02:24
Quetching a Mr.

If anyone wants any edited models or scenes that I have, you can give me your email address, and I will send the files to you as soon as possible. Really, it is not a problem. Although I have been busy for awhile, so I don't know when I will be able to give the models and scenes to any of you.
Old 2014-02-12, 02:39
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
Hi! It's great someone is actually doing something with the program

The only available LS1 format is a bug. I just omitted the place when I was fixing the file dialogs. Alternatively you can save the grid/scene to a scenario, open the scenario as a HQR file, and then extract the LS2 file from the entry 9 (counting from 1), (which will be there only if the Scripts compile without errors).
Hi, Zink! Yes, I enjoy the program very much, and I look forward to see what is new. I would create an entire new game, but there is only so much that can be edited in LBA 2. So for now, I will only be teaching myself the new coding language for LBA 2. Technically it is LBA 1's language moving to LBA 2's with more added on, but you know what I mean.

Do you know if there are any easier ways of editing the outside scenes? All I can do is turn on the, "Green Net". Even then, that doesn't help. From my experience and knowledge, I have to estimate where actual locations are from locations of nearby objects that I know are there in the game. If it is not too hard, having exact point locations would be nice, but I understand that there is still more to be done.

By the way, I also figured out the, "IMPACT POINT" code line used for LBA 2. This line of code creates an effect at the index of a, "Flag Point / Location", and then the index of the effect that is displayed there.

In the SCENE.HQR file at entry 57, there are some examples of these used for land mines after the Zeelichians have invaded Twinsun. They are located near the bottom of the grid. For example: Actor 18 is only enabled after the invasion, and if you are a distance away, while not being in discreet mode, the line will be triggered. You will then hear a, "Click" and the line of code, "IMPACT POINT" will trigger. Note for the object, the flag where the effect happens is at the same position. This doesn't have to be the same. You could have an effect happen on the opposite side of the grid, just change the flag location. Here is another example: Change IMPACT POINT 18 15 to 15 15. This will create an explosion where Dino - Fly would be standing, or is standing.

Anways, that is what, "IMPACT POINT" means.

About the bug, I hope to see that fixed in a new, "If" version. Thanks for the information on the scenes by the way. It helps a lot, especially when you are having a hard time getting started.

Sorry, I like to type a lot. I hope to hear from you again soon.
Old 2014-02-12, 13:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
This is all awesome stuff
I wish I had time to play about with it but I am swamped with work right now.
Old 2014-02-13, 07:21
Master of Degree

Quote:
Do you know if there are any easier ways of editing the outside scenes? All I can do is turn on the, "Green Net". Even then, that doesn't help. From my experience and knowledge, I have to estimate where actual locations are from locations of nearby objects that I know are there in the game. If it is not too hard, having exact point locations would be nice, but I understand that there is still more to be done.
I don't know any. I actually didn't mean to include the outside scene editing for this release, but the format turned out to be the same as of the isometric ones, so it didn't require any additional work. For the next release ("If" ) I plan to make at least displaying the height maps of the outside areas in isometric mode. But it's a lot of work, because I need to change the rendering engine to a more flexible one, and that will... you know what .

Quote:
By the way, I also figured out the, "IMPACT POINT" code line used for LBA 2. This line of code creates an effect at the index of a, "Flag Point / Location", and then the index of the effect that is displayed there.

In the SCENE.HQR file at entry 57, there are some examples of these used for land mines after the Zeelichians have invaded Twinsun. They are located near the bottom of the grid. For example: Actor 18 is only enabled after the invasion, and if you are a distance away, while not being in discreet mode, the line will be triggered. You will then hear a, "Click" and the line of code, "IMPACT POINT" will trigger. Note for the object, the flag where the effect happens is at the same position. This doesn't have to be the same. You could have an effect happen on the opposite side of the grid, just change the flag location. Here is another example: Change IMPACT POINT 18 15 to 15 15. This will create an explosion where Dino - Fly would be standing, or is standing.
Oh, that's great you figured it out. Thanks for the explanation, I will check it when I have some time.

Old 2014-02-14, 02:21
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Zink: For rendering height maps in isometric mode, you can look at the code of my LBA 2 Island Height Map Viewer. That pretty much does just that.
Old 2014-02-14, 07:16
Master of Degree

Thanks, I will certainly do that.

Old 2014-02-15, 00:18
Quetching a Mr.

Nice idea, Battler. I think it would be a good try, Zink. This sounds great! If possible, would it even be easier to have an actual isometric picture of an island from the LBA 2 3D Island Model Viewer, and place that as a background in the program? Would that require too much knowledge for background placing? I am not an expert with Microsoft C or even C++, but from what I know in my own experiences, not C or C++, but with other programming knowledge, I don't think this is too challenging. Good luck, Zink! I can't wait to see more!
Old 2014-02-17, 18:27
Quetching a Mr.

This is kind of off - topic. It kind of isn't though. It is a mix of both. How hard would it be to edit Alone in the Dark and Time Commando scenes? I assume with the knowledge of the community and for all that has been done so far, this wouldn't be very hard. It would take time obviously. I mean, it would be easier to first have model viewers and animation viewers for those games, and then take bigger steps such as editing scenes for these games.

About Time Commando, I have been looking through the RESOURCE.HQR file located in the directory by using the LBA Package Editor, and editing the files with a Hex Editor, but I am not getting anywhere. I mean, it should be possible even with the knowledge I have and know to find something. However, I just don't cut it.

The way in which this HQR file is laid out, I just can't decipher it completely. This file only contains 114 entries, yet the game has more than 100 models and animations, and the scenes are basically movie files such as SMK or even FLA files. That is just me though. Maybe the file is different for Time Commando. Maybe it contains the frames of the setting animation, and the wire frame of the setting animation so that all objects can collide, as well as depth perception indexes so that objects can be drawn behind of in front of parts of the background. Kind of like Alone in the Dark, only these are moving backgrounds, and they aren't hand drawn.

Comparing both Time Commando and LBA 2, they do not have gigantic graphical improvements at all from the times they were released. I mean, the models from both games look like they could fit in the same genre. Time Commando impresses me for it's use of textures on the models. LBA 2 impresses me for the outside scenes. There are many other things that impress me between the two. Anyways, the games must both have their models and animations created the same way, placed in indexes which include polygons, colors, other indexes, etc. In fact, this must be how all of Fred's 90's games were. They are all controlled the same way, and they are all created the same way. Starting from Alone in the Dark, 1992, all the way to LBA 2, 1997.

Between, Alone in the Dark and LBA 1, there is a giant graphical improvement, the same in between LBA 1 and Time Commando. What I am trying to say is, wouldn't it be very easy to look and models and animations for Time Commando? We can already do this with LBA 1 and 2. I know that this is an LBA site, and the official one after all, but it doesn't hurt to talk about something else, like Time Commando or Alone in the Dark, right? I mean, again, I know I say that many times, but I think it is fine, Fred and his companies created all of these games.

I can't remember where or who I heard this from on the forums, but someone told me it would probably be very possible to view Time Commando models and animations in the model viewer we have for both LBA 1 and 2. Unfortunately, I still can't figure it out.

If there is anyone who has the time and is willing to do this, I would both be very glad and appreciated. I have always loved the graphical improvement styles and seeing the use of technology transform in video games. I have always loved low polygon models, including their colors, and textures, but also their animations, which are laid in numbers and letters in code. Anyways, I know this was a big post, and I meant to keep it short. Sorry about that.

To stop this, I will bring the topic back on subject.

So, is there anything new for LBA 2 scene editing? How about the height maps? Battler? Zink? Anything?
Old 2014-02-17, 19:42
Master of Degree

I never played TC nor AITD, so I can't tell for sure, but if the resource.hqr is the only hqr file in TC directory, it is possible that all is kept inside it, in the way that each entry contains one group of data, that are further encoded (like smaller HQRs inside one large HQR). This technique is present in both LBA1 and 2. I cannot help you in the research, but I can give you some advice:
1. You could test if I'm right with the structure by unpacking one of the entries (preferably a large one) and research by hex-editing whether or not it contains something like a list of offsets at the beginning. It might be hard to see if present, as well as apparent while not present (the data might resemble such structure while being something else).
2. After trying to find the file's structure, the research method I use to find out what the entry does, is changing a random part of the file (taking the structure into consideration not avoid making the file unreadable to the game engine) to something else (starting with a single byte, in most cases to 0x00 or 0xFF) and playing the game for couple of minutes to see if that changed something. If not, try another byte or group, ending with the whole file if necessary (I had to do that couple of times for LBA2). If the game crashes after the change, return that byte to the original value, and try another byte or a different value.

It's not an easy task, and no effects are guaranteed. I still have not discovered some entries of ress.hqr from LBA2, though I have changed all of their contents and played the whole game. Looks like they are not used for anything (which might be true as well).

As for scene editing... it depends. We could tell if we knew the scene format.

Old 2014-02-17, 23:34
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
I never played TC nor AITD, so I can't tell for sure, but if the resource.hqr is the only hqr file in TC directory, it is possible that all is kept inside it, in the way that each entry contains one group of data, that are further encoded (like smaller HQRs inside one large HQR). This technique is present in both LBA1 and 2. I cannot help you in the research, but I can give you some advice:
1. You could test if I'm right with the structure by unpacking one of the entries (preferably a large one) and research by hex-editing whether or not it contains something like a list of offsets at the beginning. It might be hard to see if present, as well as apparent while not present (the data might resemble such structure while being something else).
2. After trying to find the file's structure, the research method I use to find out what the entry does, is changing a random part of the file (taking the structure into consideration not avoid making the file unreadable to the game engine) to something else (starting with a single byte, in most cases to 0x00 or 0xFF) and playing the game for couple of minutes to see if that changed something. If not, try another byte or group, ending with the whole file if necessary (I had to do that couple of times for LBA2). If the game crashes after the change, return that byte to the original value, and try another byte or a different value.

It's not an easy task, and no effects are guaranteed. I still have not discovered some entries of ress.hqr from LBA2, though I have changed all of their contents and played the whole game. Looks like they are not used for anything (which might be true as well).

As for scene editing... it depends. We could tell if we knew the scene format.
Thanks for all of the information, Zink. These are very helpful techniques. I have been doing a portion of this. Looks like I just need to get started on the other portion now. Thanks. I will see if I can find anything new for LBA 2, and even Time Commando. Good luck to you.