Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-03-16, 11:43
Trippin Alien

LBA3 Idea's

Fred was recently spoken about what he has planned for LBA3...

I've been keeping my feelings to myself regarding his comments, maybe because I have faith in him to create what I expect in the next release, or maybe because I haven't thought to contribute my ideas.

I thought I'd share my feelings regarding LBA3 in terms of what we already know what's planned for it...

Fred says, that we can play a 3 character, Zoe, Twinsen and Arthur (the child of Zoe/Twinsen).

I kind of get a bad feeling on this, does this mean that you play all three players throughout the one story or you can play the story in full from one of those three characters? I don't like the idea of switching from Twinsen's and his Magicball to using Miss Triangle Tits Zoe walking around flaunting myself, raising my pink dress and showing my undies as a weapon to the horny grobo's, or doing Arthur, a character I know nothing about from LBA's past (okay, we see something of him at the end of LBA2, a pram?). Twinsen's cool, I like playing him, and I don't like the idea of breaking up the gameplay between the three characters, I want an adventure with Twinsen primarily and from one person's point of view.

By the way, I respect Zoe, its just the low poly count that I had to throw in the pointy boobs bit. I even called my daughter Zoe.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:27
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzn
Miss Triangle Tits Zoe walking around flaunting myself, raising my pink dress and showing my undies as a weapon to the horny grobo's.

By the way, I respect Zoe, its just the low poly count that I had to throw in the pointy boobs bit. I even called my daughter Zoe.
Muahahahahaha ROTFL

You know, I'm more afraid about Arthur than Zoe (she's a resorcefull one), becouse I'm having some strange feelings that Arthur will resemble Bart Sipmson a bit... And If they pull this out it can actually be quite good, there could be places of the game only one of the characters can pass. Or it will have a system like in BG&E, we steer only Twinsen, but when there is a special "action" to be done we press the right button. Anyways, Fred said he was very impressed by BG&E, and he repeated this many times, so it's a very big hint, that it's going to be a good game.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:30
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek
Muahahahahaha ROTFL

You know, I'm more afraid about Arthur than Zoe (she's a resorcefull one), becouse I'm having some strange feelings that Arthur will resemble Bart Sipmson a bit... And If they pull this out it can actually be quite good, there could be places of the game only one of the characters can pass. Or it will have a system like in BG&E, we steer only Twinsen, but when there is a special "action" to be done we press the right button. Anyways, Fred said he was very impressed by BG&E, and he repeated this many times, so it's a very big hint, that it's going to be a good game.
Maybe It'll be donkey kong country, 'Arthur riding piggyback on Twinsen till it's his turn for some action'.
Old 2006-03-16, 12:35
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko
Maybe It'll be donkey kong country, 'Arthur riding piggyback on Twinsen till it's his turn for some action'.
Aaargh, that would be disasterous.
Old 2006-03-16, 13:56
weee

wtf @ things said in this thread

Anyway, I don't want LBA to be like BG&E (althuogh it is a nice game), and probably Fred doesn't want that either.
Old 2006-03-16, 14:27
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek
Aaargh, that would be disasterous.
It'd be weird if Frederick implands it into the game thinking I'm serious about it
Old 2006-03-16, 15:39
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
hehe, good one!

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2006-03-16, 17:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Dual controll charecters you can switch between is a very old idea (Day of the Tentical), but I personaly like it quite a lot.

I think it could be intergrated quite well with LBA, if the plot fits it.
Old 2006-03-16, 17:24

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzn
I kind of get a bad feeling on this, does this mean that you play all three players throughout the one story or you can play the story in full from one of those three characters? I don't like the idea of switching from Twinsen's and his Magicball to using Miss Triangle Tits Zoe walking around flaunting myself, raising my pink dress and showing my undies as a weapon to the horny grobo's, or doing Arthur, a character I know nothing about from LBA's past (okay, we see something of him at the end of LBA2, a pram?). Twinsen's cool, I like playing him, and I don't like the idea of breaking up the gameplay between the three characters, I want an adventure with Twinsen primarily and from one person's point of view.
Eh, I seriuosly doubt it's going to be like that.

And just what is wrong with playing as different characters? LBA has always been about trying to be original. Granted, switching characters within a game is nothing new, it would be something fresh for the LBA series.

I also doubt that Zoe's gameplay would be basterdized like that.
Old 2006-03-16, 17:51
Master of Science & Magic

There are a couple of ways to implement multi character playing.
For example:

1) switchable team: one person is the leader and the rest will follow (donkey kong country, anachronox, baldurs gate, etc.)
2) non-sequential character switching: at any time you will be able to switch to a different character that has it's one story line (day of the tentacle)
3a) fixed sequential character switching: at certain points you will have to play as a certain character, you have no control on who you play (BG&E?)
3b) like above but the characters may not operate in the a sequential time line (e.g. at a certain time you play as X then as Y but the events of X and Y actually happen at the same time)
4) sequential character switching: you can choose to play as X or Y to continue a certain story line (mario bros 2, fahrenheit)

I forsee something like option 3b. You mostly play as Twinsen but at certain times you will have to do things as Zoe or Arthur. For example in LBA2, you play Zoe to deliver the car to desert island. Or you are Baldino and you take off to Emerland moon when you get captured and have to wait until Twinsen sets you free.
Old 2006-03-16, 19:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
BG&A is more 1), your secondary character follows you, and you give them orders, but your never directly controlling them.

Theres also hybrids, like Zelda:Four Swords, where the characters follow you in formations, but can also be controlled separately if you wish.

Theres also the 5) option which is in Mario & Lugia, where you control two characters independently *at the same time* (allthough its limited to just jump controll, dual movement would probably be too confuseing )

As for LBA, 3b is more interesting from a story layout viewpoint.
But option 2) allows more puzzles.
Old 2006-03-16, 19:57
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Dual controll charecters you can switch between is a very old idea (Day of the Tentical), but I personaly like it quite a lot.

I think it could be intergrated quite well with LBA, if the plot fits it.
I love that game. Fantastic, too bad computers got too good for it.
Old 2006-03-16, 20:25
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I love that game. Fantastic, too bad computers got too good for it.
ScummVM? DOSBox?
Old 2006-03-16, 20:30

This thread is nice, but we're going to have one anyway once LBA3 gets goes into production stage.
Old 2006-03-16, 20:43
Mathemagician

I think it would be quite cool if all three characters were simulataneosly solving 'the problem', but you choose one at the beginning of the game and see it from there point of view.

But if you chose a different character, you'd have to do different things. Kinda like how in LBA2 you could read Zoe's recollection of LBA, well in this idea you could either play through Twinsen's or Zoe's experiences of the same plot. Only playing as the other characters would be interesting, unlike the example.

CiB
Old 2006-03-16, 20:45
You what?!

Some sort of mix between what people have said:
basically 3 different games, you can play as any one of the three characters but only at one time, and their storylines intertwine, i.e. what they do affects the other characters.
Old 2006-03-26, 15:53
Woof!

I think it'd be fun to give each character unique behaviours. Zoé could have a seductive mode, so she can distract enemies for example. Like the Rabibunny did on Principal Island. It would make it more interesting to switch characters, because the gameplay would be different .
Old 2006-03-26, 16:37
weee

"seductive mode"? I don't think so. I don't hope so either.
Old 2006-03-26, 20:47
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
"seductive mode"? I don't think so. I don't hope so either.
Instead of the musical notes in discreet mode, you'll get Zoe's 'ahh' noises and some 'Wooh!' Twinsen sounds!
Old 2006-03-27, 10:48
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Personally , I don't like the idea of multi character gameplay , but Fred said ihe will implement it , so , I would best like it to be like this : You play as Twinsen , and when you can't pass a certain thing , you "call" Zoe or Arthur , and they can sort of pop-up like the Wizard in the Magic School , and assist you . I think that if we play as 3 different characters at specific points in the game , the freedom that LBA always had , will no longer be there . Besides , we asked Fred ( if he makes LBA3 ) , to make a free explore feature after you finish the story game , so the 3 player thing could be put there , don't you think ???
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-03-27, 11:36
weee

I just trust Fred and Co. to make a good LBA3, I don't have much worries.
Old 2006-03-27, 19:52
Sheepie for short

I'd rather have it just Twinsen, although I guess controlling Arthur would be OK. But not Zoe.

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2006-03-28, 04:32

You fellahs have no idea how the controls would work. It could be just as great as it could be awful.
Old 2006-03-28, 14:39
Magic Level: Red Ball

I see it doing it alot like how you suddenly become Twinsen and Zoe on the way to the light house. It just happens a small event where you need to do something on Zoe or Arther to make the plotline work...

Maybe they'll incorporate something into it like in games like Final Fantasy. For a short event in the game the main character gets captured or injured for a temporary ammount of time and you need to play another sub main charater for a little while. It isn't a big long event however if gives you a plot conflict of a different level and gives you something to do in the mean time instead of watching some lifeless cutscenes about your character recovering from illness or sitting around waiting for the guards to come in a hopeless situation.

I dont see why a short mission on Zoe could be all that bad. Her running around with one of Twinsen's swords would be a site so see. I can't say I fancy playing Arthur but little kids dont appeal to me. :3
Old 2006-03-28, 15:11
weee

Arthur isn't just any little kid, for all we know he could have the shining or something