Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

View Poll Results: Upgrade vBulletin to 4.x?
Yes. 6 33.33%
No. 10 55.56%
Abstain. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-17, 20:21
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Question [Request] vBulletin upgrade

Hello, I'm requesting a vBulletin upgrade to version 4.x for this forum. I know all of us are used to vBulletin 3.x but it's becoming old and obsolete. I'd say an upgrade would be really needed and would really refresh this forum and that's especially needed now that the LBA games are getting a new audience.

But just to see what people think, I am setting up a public poll related to this request too.
Old 2012-03-17, 20:36
Idyllic + whimsical

What's new in version 4?
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-03-17, 22:02
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Does vB4 have mobile features? If so, upgrading would worth it, but I don't know how much would it cost.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:49
weee

I'm generally against upgrading just because there's something newer. What's better about vB4?
Old 2012-03-18, 17:42
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
Does vB4 have mobile features? If so, upgrading would worth it, but I don't know how much would it cost.
ditto. And let's not forget we're talking about ElMuerte's wallet :P
Old 2012-03-19, 13:04
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
So I see for some people here it's not a problem to use outdated software forever. It works so why bother fixing, right? Well, here's the thing, eventually vBulletin 3.x will stop getting security fixes (and this forum doesn't have the latest ones anyone, not being at the latest 3.x), which means it'll become more and more prone to spam registrations, exploits and so on.
Old 2012-03-19, 13:20
Polly parrot

True that we saw a lot of spambots recently...
Old 2012-03-20, 17:26
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
The new version is ~$380. El could make a PayPal account, to which we could donate as much as we can. It`ll be more fair if we all buy a new forum version, instead of dumping all the burden on El`s shoulders.
Old 2012-03-20, 17:51
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
So I see for some people here it's not a problem to use outdated software forever. It works so why bother fixing, right? Well, here's the thing, eventually vBulletin 3.x will stop getting security fixes (and this forum doesn't have the latest ones anyone, not being at the latest 3.x), which means it'll become more and more prone to spam registrations, exploits and so on.
Its also true that newer software can be less stable, and until you actually have a problem due to outdated security, why upgrade?

As others have said, it comes down if theres any features we want/need rather then just because its new.
Old 2012-03-20, 22:02
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
True that we saw a lot of spambots recently...
Not really. And I actually doubt that they were bots, bots are way more aggressive in posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
The new version is ~$380. El could make a PayPal account, to which we could donate as much as we can. It`ll be more fair if we all buy a new forum version, instead of dumping all the burden on El`s shoulders.
There has been a way to donate money to the MBN for years. Also, $380!? damn vbulletin has become expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Its also true that newer software can be less stable, and until you actually have a problem due to outdated security, why upgrade?

As others have said, it comes down if theres any features we want/need rather then just because its new.
True. There are no known security bugs in the vBulletin version used by the MBN (it might not be the latest 3.8 version, but it has all security patches, just not the bugfixes to things we don't really use anyway).

One of the major problems with vBulletin 4.x is that it also breaks with the front-end website, or, probably will. I don't have a lot of interest in getting vbDrupal working properly with vBulletin 4. It'll cost me a lot of time. And as far as I'm aware nobody created better drupal+vbulletin integration.

I see no reason to upgrade to vBulletin4. A lot of other sites also still use vBulletin 3.
Old 2012-03-20, 22:52
Magic Level: Red Ball

I have one question: why vBulletin? couldn't be something else? free? there is a lot of forums for free... what is specially about vBulletin?
Old 2012-03-21, 00:25
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nothing, but its much easier to upgrade within a system then to start using a completely different one from scratch.
Old 2012-03-21, 00:55
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
This post alone earned my no...
We just asked what the new version has that this one hasn't... if it's just against spambots then who cares? It takes ages to get used to a site once it has changed (take a look at facebook or youtube. I stopped using them for months because I couldn't get bored to learn all over again).

Besides, newer doesn't mean better. And this thing is way more expansive. Let's stick with this I say
Old 2012-03-21, 01:00
weee

Yeah, Windows Vista isn't better than Windows XP. Besides Obras, didn't you say you're still using Windows 98 SE?

I love vBulletin. It's a well designed and stable system. phpBB and such are great value for 0$, but you can't compare them with vBulletin.
Old 2012-03-21, 13:26
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Yeah, Windows Vista isn't better than Windows XP. Besides Obras, didn't you say you're still using Windows 98 SE?

I love vBulletin. It's a well designed and stable system. phpBB and such are great value for 0$, but you can't compare them with vBulletin.
I guess your information about me is way outdated. I upgraded to Windows 2000 as far back as 2005, then Windows XP in 2007, and I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition since last year.

Also you can compare phpBB with vBulletin, quite easily. phpBB3 is quite feature-complete and uses by far less resources than vBulletin. I think you're just biased because vBulletin is commercial and therefore you find more professional than phpBB3 which is free and developed by volunteers.
And if all the admins who prefer vBulletin went to phpBB support channels and requests features vBulletin has but phpBB doesn't, maybe phpBB would get even better. But it's always easier to say "fuck phpBB, I'm going to use vBulletin" in impatience rather than wait for phpBB to implement your desired features or even look of there are phpBB mods that implement them.

No offense but my main gripe with vBulletin is the damned price tag which in my opinion, is obnoxious. The full vBulletin suite is $380, the same price as the most expensive consumer edition of Windows! Now how on Earth can a simple forum with portal and blog cost as much as an entire operating system which is much more difficult to code and coded by many more developers, I don't know.

- StreGGy: So I give you the most important reason for why one should upgrade and you vote for now?
Let's give me an example - you use Linux, do you only upgrade if the new version has significant changes? You don't upgrade just to be more secure?

- elmuerte: The new version is $195 at most from what I know, $380 is the full suite with blog, etc. but I seriously doubt this forum needs that.
Also I don't think you need Drupal with vBulletin 4 as vBulletin 4 IIRC has that functionality included and they're even using it on Encyclopedia Titanica which by the way, is upgrading to vBulletin 4 from Discus which is a completely different forum software written in 1996 and last updated in 2001.
Old 2012-03-21, 14:24
Classic

phpBB is indeed quite good too from my experience - at least, using it for my rateoholic site and implementing OpenID based login was pretty easy.
But, again, the transition is too much work.

Quote:
The full vBulletin suite is $380, the same price as the most expensive consumer edition of Windows! Now how on Earth can a simple forum with portal and blog cost as much as an entire operating system which is much more difficult to code and coded by many more developers, I don't know.
Not to mention the most expensive version of windows is barely any different from the others :P
Old 2012-03-21, 17:52
Polly parrot

Quote:
I upgraded to Windows 2000 as far back as 2005, then Windows XP in 2007, and I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition since last year.
You...
Noted down the years ?
Old 2012-03-22, 00:38
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
You...
Noted down the years ?

And this is why MBN is a good place for laughs and going out of the day-to-day sense of "normality".

Btw, no.

Old 2012-03-22, 07:59
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

lol @polaris

Quote:
- StreGGy: So I give you the most important reason for why one should upgrade and you vote for now?
Let's give me an example - you use Linux, do you only upgrade if the new version has significant changes? You don't upgrade just to be more secure?
Linux is free, upgrading doesn't involve major changings that need time to get used to, and you know that you're actually upgrading, as they tell you if it's a stable version or not.

again, I don't think there are enough reasons to upgrade this forum.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:53
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
nobody wants your lame ass upgrade battler.

so why don't you just get out of here? your plans have been foiled once again.

Last edited by Reek; 2012-03-22 at 10:04.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:57
Magic Level: Red Ball

Well... I have an idea... maybe one person, who has a server (but I think almost everyone has;p) could install phpbb (or other forum) and get from our admins vBulletin db and try to apply it (I think there is somewhere "how to" do migration from vBuletin to other forum)
Old 2012-03-23, 00:10
New efforts! :)

I don't think we need an upgrade. It should have new useful features at least. I don't think extra security is enough to just upgrade the forum. Plus, Elmuerte's the one paying... it's not fair to just ask him to upgrade. My opinion. Peace xD

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2012-03-23, 14:21
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
nobody wants your lame ass upgrade battler.
He is entitled to ask for a upgrade even if others disagree.

I really haven't been paying attention to forum feature sets or security issues, so their could have been a reasonable reason to upgrade.