Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2017-06-05, 19:33
weee

The Leftovers 3x08 (finale of the show) - ARRRRRGH that's it I'm shunning Damon Lindelof for life. The man deserves a punch to his face, srsly. Never ever gonna watch another show he makes. Fuck that guy.

Basically tricked me (and many others) into giving up 30 hours of my life by selling me the idea he knows what he's doing. I should have known better after Lost but I was too gullible and gave him another shot anyway. Nothing but a clever conman. What an asshole.
Old 2017-06-06, 00:58
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
ok, thats some time I can spend on other tv then

*looks at his IMDB page*
I think Tomorrowlands the only thing there I enjoyed.
Old 2017-06-06, 14:05
weee

A movie only take 90 minutes of your time. A tv show... that's an investment. I also enjoyed Lost, but like David Mitchel once put it: we humans don't and can't live in the moment. You can think you enjoy something, and later it turns out retroactively you didn't enjoy it.

In Lost's case there was much added value - it was groundbreaking television, it changed so much of our perception and so much of the shows that came after were influence by its genius. Didn't make the betrayal any less hurtful though... well maybe slightly.

In The Leftovers this wasn't the case. There was a lot of wtf-is-going-on weird randomness and basically zero story, with the constant implied promise of "Trust me, hold on, there's a reason I'm showing you this. It's all part of the story."

Well it turns out it isn't all part of the story, and it turns out there was never any story at all. It was all just a big bluff. And to make things worse, the last episode was all about laughing at the audience's faces at how stupid they are for following the show this far. He actually enjoyed being as annoying as possible and with no apologies.

He made a point to only show us things that are not related to anything and that we didn't care about. At the very last minute of the episode when they finally remembered to unwrap (and in fact make any reference at all to) the big mystery of the show, they made a point to not actually show it to us and instead focus on one character's face 30 years later as she spits it out in a few short sentences. Fuck you, Damon Lindelof.

I'm 100% sure most viewers of this show will tell me that it was all planned, that it was part of the idea, that I just didn't get it and that I'm being shallow. I say no. You all just wasted your time. Admit defeat. People tend to be biased against turning against something they invested in.

btw I'm only blaming Damon Lindelof who wrote the main story arc (more like an anti-story anti-arc) because the other people involved actors/directors/etc. did their job pretty well.
Old 2017-06-07, 01:53
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, there's two categories of issues at play I think, both which lead to unsatisfying endings.
Now you described Leftovers - thats not like Losts ending, but it IS like BattleStarGalaticas. Or it sounds like it.
That show had lots of things just forgotten about, and some of its "big mystery's" not only not explained, but explicitly not explained. That is the show went "we are so much more sophisticated to not try to explain stuff". Hell the writer admitted at one point "we felt no explanation would feel right, so we decided not too". WTF where you doing setting up stuff to start with if you didn't have anything with it?
urg

By comparison Lost was more "bad answers" mixed with "forgetting what the shows themes were" (it was always a science/faith duality...you cant just go 'íts magic'! at the end). Lost did also forget plenty, however. Which is less the fault of the ending bits, and more the issue with not "cycling your mystery's" (answer some questions as you introduce new ones - post s2 they basically let too much build up)

--

As for enjoyment going along vs ending. I think the end can influence how you interpret the rest in your memory. So while, sure, at the time of first watching you might enjoy it, the ending can still retroactively make it all seem worse.
Certainly a good ending will make me vastly more likely to re-watch.

Quote:
I'm 100% sure most viewers of this show will tell me that it was all planned, that it was part of the idea, that I just didn't get it and that I'm being shallow.
"Its about the characters not the mystery!"
Is one I heard a few times.
Old 2017-06-11, 16:05
Classic

Out of interest what shows do people think ended well?
That is, tied up all they needed too.
Old 2017-06-25, 10:48
Classic

nothing? :P
Shows I think ended on satisfying notes after long ongoing plots: Farscape, Continuum, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Babylon 5(well, the main plot ended a season early as they thought they wernt renewed :P), Dennou Coil, Fringe (last season wasnt great, but the last epp wrapped things up well), Gravity Falls (this 'kids show' respects its mysterys and audience way more then most adult shows)......probably a few others.
--
Anyway;

Veep S06
- Still good. Funny, but horrible to watch at times as almost all the characters are horrible,horrible people..

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt-
Gets better and better as it gets more surreal. A nice antidote to veep, with
likable characters. Still has some pretty dark humor, but its sort of hidden with the odd line slipped in..

Sense8 - canceled Dont even know if I want to finish s2 now.
Old 2017-06-26, 12:13
weee

Sorry for postponing my reply this long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Well, there's two categories of issues at play I think, both which lead to unsatisfying endings.
Now you described Leftovers - thats not like Losts ending, but it IS like BattleStarGalaticas. Or it sounds like it.
That show had lots of things just forgotten about, and some of its "big mystery's" not only not explained, but explicitly not explained. That is the show went "we are so much more sophisticated to not try to explain stuff". Hell the writer admitted at one point "we felt no explanation would feel right, so we decided not too". WTF where you doing setting up stuff to start with if you didn't have anything with it?
urg

By comparison Lost was more "bad answers" mixed with "forgetting what the shows themes were" (it was always a science/faith duality...you cant just go 'íts magic'! at the end). Lost did also forget plenty, however. Which is less the fault of the ending bits, and more the issue with not "cycling your mystery's" (answer some questions as you introduce new ones - post s2 they basically let too much build up)
In Lost they didn't really have any answers. The ending gave them up - they went with the story "blind" for 6 seasons without knowing where they were going, misleading the audience - in the full sense of the word. They hacked some "answers" together at the last minute, which they pretty much pulled out of their asses. And it seemed they only did answer the most frequently asked questions, trying not to get lynched too hard by their fans.

Didn't watch Battle Star Gallactica, but it sounds like The Leftovers was something a bit different. The Leftover was something of an anti-story. It was something like this: (by all means, reveal the spoiler)
Spoiler:
In this episode this character will die and in his death he will meet random dead people at a hotel. In this episode a guy will go to Australia and try to join an Aboriginals tribe. Oh by the way, some French dude gets naked on a Nuclear submarine and launched a nuke. The neighbor's girl is acting weird! More people are acting weird! The neighbor's girl joined a cult and got stoke by a missile and dies! Her dad is now making lots money out of lying to people about how he can talk to their dead relatives, and then shreds the money. He also likes to burn people's houses. We have something very important to tell you: in the prehistoric era, a cave collapsed on some cavemen, and all died except for some cave baby (we will never make another reference to that). Some woman murders a Sheriff in Australia. Some people do an orgy on a cruiseship, and there's a lion onboard, and a man who tells people he's god. More weird shit happens.
Did we mention the premise/main mystery of the show is that 2% of the world's population has disappear? Yes? Good. We won't reveal anything about it until the last episode, and even then only for like 2 minutes, because we have much more important things to tell you. For example, this guy is acting all weird. Why? We won't tell.

It all must connect somehow right? There's a meaning here. It's not just random, this can't all just be a giant prank? Right? ...wrong.

--
Shows that ended well? Let's see...
I was pretty much pleased with Fringe. It could have gone better, but it wasn't terrible. Crap... nothing else comes to mind. What does it say about me? Reminds of of the ending of Truman's Show. People watched that show obsessively for 30+ years and when it ends they're immediately like "Ok, so that was that. What's else on tv?"

So you say Continuum ended well? I stopped watching after the second season because too much happened with too long a break and I didn't find an easy way to refresh my memory rather than rewatchthe whole thing... which I'll maybe do sometime.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-06-26 at 12:40.
Old 2017-06-28, 20:19
Classic

Continuum got quite complex so I appreciate its not easy to jump back in. But yeah, the ending worked for me. Everything made sense based on what was established.
Old 2017-07-02, 13:00
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Sense8 - canceled Dont even know if I want to finish s2 now.
Maybe this will help you decide. (haven't watched the show... yet anyway)
Old 2017-07-02, 23:26
Classic

yeah I heard
Smart move. Its surely more valuable to have stuff you own "complete".
Old 2017-08-15, 08:42
weee

So when's Dirk Gnetly season 2 coming out already?
Interesting Cyanide & Happiness comic today: Spoiler:
Old 2017-08-15, 15:55
Classic

No clue.
Stranger Things season 2 is October though.
Old 2017-08-15, 16:46
weee

Yep, also Mr. Robot returns on October. Good stuff!
Old 2017-09-02, 15:55
Classic

14-Oct-2017 21:00 Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency 02x01 TBA
--
Dark Matter - canceled
KillJoys - Renewed

Rather the other way around.
--
Stuff ended:

The Defenders -
Netflex got the rights to 4 marvel characters, made a series of each (about 50% success imho), then did this crossover series.
Its pretty good. Better pacing then most its parent shows, and the characters work better in contrast. It maintains the fairly serious tone, but adds a little more humour.
Sadly the endingly climax is a bit rushed, especially as theres a loooong wind-down after.

Orphan Back - Last season felt less messy, and the ending worked well enough. Also had a long wind-down, but worked better as there was more small bits to wrap up.
Still, right till the end its the sub-urban housewife clones story that is the most fun.

New stuff:

The Tick (live action) -
Weird. Take a Adam-west style superhero, but put them in a more realistic world (ie. people die). Add a side-kick thats not even sure if the hero is real, and a few interesting plothocks.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2017-09-02 at 16:00.
Old 2017-09-02, 19:58
weee

I saw that about Dirk's season 2, yayz.
Dark Matter canceled? That's somewhat of a bummer. I enjoyed that show. Won't miss it too much though, it was after all kind of a "lesser" show.

The Tick, you say? I should look into that...
Old 2017-09-02, 20:05
Classic

Yeah,its no masterpiece but its different. Weirdly its different by being more comic-booky rather then less. Unique "feel"

As for Darkmater/killjoys I havnt even seen the last seasons. I enjoyed DM enough though.

Tags
series, shows, television