Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2001-07-13, 22:38
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Twinsen open source relentless

Hello!

I'm practically new in here (2nd post), but I have been consulting this forum for a long now. It has been discussing a lot about a Windows version of LBA1 and how to run LBA1 under modern computers.

How about a version for Linux?

It becomes really hard to play LBA1: it's easy to make a DOS boot disk for it but having his modern sound card perfectly recognized is another matter. In a couple of years, the number of machines on which lba will run properly will probably be very low, unless we use DOS and soundblaster AWE 32 emulators (which by the way may cause a lot of other troubles). In these conditions, how can we expect the lba community to survive and grow? There might be a LBA3 but that would only be a sequel and we can't let the original disappear.

Converting LBA for Windows wouldn't (in my opinion) be a great idea since it will always be the same problem: Windows XP is coming. But if lba becomes open source, it will be easy to adapt it for open Operating Systems like Linux. Everyone could then contributes to the update of LBA as Linux evolutes.

I may be wrong, but I think it shouldn't be a problem for Adeline (Delphine) to make lba open source and free. They don't make any longer money on it since it isn't sales any more. And even if it is really good programmed, there mustn't be any programming secrets in it. It may even be good publicity for Delphine.

Once it is open source, it might not be a problem for the linux community and/or lba community to make a Linux version. Just a little part of the programs has to be changed. The algorithms will stay the same. Only the calls to OS functions and hardware (soundcard, videocard, memory, file system, keyboard) have to be rewritten. One big advantage of Linux is that it is developper friendly (and it begins to be user friendly whereas windows is neither developper friendly, nor very user friendly ).

Moreover because there aren't yet a lot of games that run under Linux, a new game is more likely to be known.

You may think that this is utopia. Maybe it is but I just wanted to post this suggestion because ideas that are kept to oneself have less chance to come true.

Sorry for the bad english!

Old 2001-07-13, 22:49
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Open source would be cool.

But LBA1 won't die.
Theres will always be DOS emulators, and old versions of Windows to fall back on.
My system has Win2000,Win98 & Win95. All working happly together.
Old 2001-07-13, 22:52
the Cursed

Send a message via ICQ to CrOvAx
No need to say sorry because of your English, all of us non-Englishspeaking people aren't exactly perfect with English grammar and spelling

Oh, and WELCOME !

Back to your point about opens source LBA: it rocks ! No, seriously, if they decided to do that, we could not only convert it to linux ("we", ehmmm.... somebody else as me, I presume, or it has to be real easy), but we could also do other stuff with the game, I think.

Still, converting to linux should be cool, just to keep LBA-relentless alive. I think I can get it to work in my Win2k, I'll look at it when I have time (I allrdy played it ones under Win2k on this system ).

Maybe they could give us the SDK? That should be very nive IMHO the graphics of LBA1 aren't bad, except maybe some of the vehicles, but I can live with that, and with the SDK and the source code some people around here can do cool stuff, can't they?

Old 2001-07-13, 23:40
hmz

Send a message via ICQ to {}ghost{}
I don't like this idea, I think LBA should stay the way it is now, maybe with a patch for Windows, but open source relentless.. I just dont find it as an honorable move for Adeline..
Old 2001-07-14, 02:28
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by {}ghost{}
I don't like this idea, I think LBA should stay the way it is now, maybe with a patch for Windows,
But it will stay the way it is now. It'll just be able to run on new computers and new OS. However it's true that if it's open source, everyone will be able to modify the game, but that's not what I was speaking about.

Quote:
Originally posted by {}ghost{}
but open source relentless.. I just dont find it as an honorable move for Adeline..
I don't understand what you mean here by honorable. It is normal for a programmer to earn money from his programs, but when these programs don't pay any longer, it's honorable to make them open source so that the programmer shares his experience with the entire community. Reading lba source code should be really interesting and INSTRUCTIVE. I think making lba open source will be a very honorable move for adeline or delphine. It's contributing to people education.

Old 2001-07-14, 16:42
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
The Quake source-code was also ditributed around the net.

I still have in on my HD, somewhere...
Old 2001-07-14, 17:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Thanks to open source quake we can play games like 'Quake Racer' and 'Quess'.
--
I wonder what games would be made by open source LBA.
Old 2001-07-14, 17:45
the Cursed

I would only change the story, so others can play it again with a new storyline. And maybe a version from the perspective of FunFrock
Old 2001-07-14, 18:02
Magic Ball Master

Hm... it would be cool indeed, but remember there are little real programmers on this forum who can actually do something with the source. Also, not many people have Linux running...

There were some rumours about a LBA Windows patch some time ago, I think that would be more effective than an open-source LBA1.
Old 2001-07-14, 18:58
hmz

Send a message via ICQ to {}ghost{}
*Much Better*
Old 2001-07-14, 20:42
Éy! I'm not teletubby!!..

I think LBA will be great to LiNUX!
Last edited by CrazyBee; Today at 21:01. Reason: (BAD ENGLISH)
Old 2001-07-15, 01:09
Master of Science & Magic

There's one problem with a open source LBA, is must be a coordinated open source project.
Just releasing it under GPL won't sut it. There are not enough experienced people to work for the open source LBA.
And I don't think Fred\Adeline would just give the code to the general public, the code to a 10 year old program is still very valuable..
Old 2001-07-15, 08:19
The return of

El is right + linux is stuiped and only loosers work with it. microsoft...Macos5
Old 2001-07-15, 10:32
the Cursed

Ahem..... Linux is NOT stupid !

Don't need to argument about this, it's just true.

(They use Linux on the UT, don't they El?)
Old 2001-07-15, 11:28
Classic

Linux rules!
And, will beat Win as the main operating system.
Why?
Because Linux is improving faster the Windows is.
Linux is smaller,faster and more stable then windows.
The only thing that stops it going mainstream are:

a) Not enough drivers avaible yet.
B) Curently, the "public" don't know about it.
c) Incompatable with windows.

a) and c) can be solved quite quickly as support devolopes for the
OS. Win95 emulators are already availble for it.
b) is more tricky, MS has the market dominance.Most people don't know of Linux, so it isn't bundled with the PC.
If someone developes a version of Linux, with a transparent windows emulator, then it would catch on quite rappidly.

Old 2001-07-15, 17:32
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
I once read in the paper that Microsoft rewards hardware sellers when they 'betray' other hardware sellers that sell computers without Microsoft software.
Old 2001-07-15, 18:23
Classic

Sound's likely.
Old 2001-07-15, 19:36
Mageling at heart

The problem is that they're not allowed to preinstall WinMe or any other version without also installing IE5 and Office2000 and a load of other crap. But the US court have (finally) found a couple of brain cells to connect, and have ruled that this is unfair practice.

But what can we do when IE5 is still integral to WinMe? MS are being fined US$1m a day for that, but that's nothing but Bill Gates' back pocket change...
- kirsty maccoll
Old 2001-07-16, 01:28
Magic Level: Red Ball

Making LBA opensource under the right license is a grand idea. Granted it is tricky and a risk, but currently I don't think Adeline nor Delphine has much to lose in taking that risk. Even if we don't have many programmers on this forum, people/programmers who played this game long ago might discover that one of their once favourite games is now open source and fiddle with it, drawing attention. The worst that I reccon that can happen, given the license is secure, is nothing.

As for Linux, yes it isn't the most popular OS for newbies, but the most stable one with a very big following. In fact many web servers that you browse run server software called Apache and is extremely popular, since it is free (last time I checked) and extremly reliable/stable. So if some group wants to code LBA for Linux, be my guest. Linux is not for loosers, just quite technical people at the the moment (give or take a few user friendly distributions)

The only big problem I can see that troubles it's future prosperity is the fact that there are too many standards for the same thing. So one thing might run under one enviroment but not the other. Fix that and we're going somewhere.

Thats my 2cents worth...
Old 2001-07-16, 02:10
LBA fan

actually linux is not very much used because it´s too complicated for usual windows users. They genneraly are used to have a pretty graphical interface where they don´t need to run dos, don´t need to know anything about partition management and such. Linux just isn´t attractive for most users, even being better.
/me use Conectiva Linux 5.0 Special Edition
Old 2001-07-16, 09:57
Classic

?
Theres lots of versions of Linux with visual "Windows" Style interface.
Most look better the MS Windows as well.
Old 2001-07-16, 13:18
Magic Ball Master

RedHat and SuSe are almost as easy to install as Windows. And it has a clear graphical interface, so that shouldn't stop people from buying or downloading them.

I'm going to install Mandrake Linux in a short time, hope it's any good. I want to learn a bit how Linux works, in what way it's different than Windows and such. I like it that it's free to download.
Old 2001-07-16, 13:36
The return of

Nothing beats windows Whistler/xp
i got the beta 2 version on my comuter and i looks so damn cool and 3d. but the only thing is that it didnt last on mycomputer for more than a week. broke down. wh friend only a day!
Old 2001-07-16, 13:56
Magic Ball Master

I really hate that look of XP. Toy OS. I hope they make a function so you can make it back to the old look in it.

Some custom Linux skins are really nice, much nicer than any other OS.

Tell me Axx, do you think that Linux sucks and XP rules because XP looks so good?
Old 2001-07-16, 14:36
Classic

If you only care about looks, use some Windows-Skinning programe.
They slow your system down, but so do WinME & WinXP (Win95 is still faster the both of them)
The best LOOKING os is Mac-OSX.
The way the windows fade is really cool.