Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2009-06-16, 08:29
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Question A question about modding

Hey there. I'm Lukipela, and I loved the LBA games. I stumbled on this site about a year ago and have been checking back now and then for updates on the multitude of projects that are around. Sadly, it seems most of them are now dormant.

Anyhow, on my last visit I stumbled upon Inventor and the fact that he has apparently come up with a way of making new LBA maps. I must say that's pretty cool. Browsing through here now, I see that he isn't the only one doing these, which leads me to assume that the program has become sort of easy to use for anyone who wants to put some time into it. This raises a few interesting questions.

First off, where do I find the latest versions of this? The main page contains a huge amount of links to here and there, but I can only find a topic in which Inventor presents his mod (which I think is called LBArchtitect?). Is that the latest version though? There's no link in his profile to this stuff, and as I mentioned I'm having trouble finding anything on the main page.

Also, am I correct in assuming that in order to run the maps, you still need LBAWin? I'm considering modding it and making a small map completely unrelated to LBA, since I just love the engine but haven't really got the time to be active in several fandoms. If it needs LBAWin then anyone trying it out would also have to own a copy of LBA and that complicates things somewhat. If this is the case, are there any other similar open source engines around? The Opensource forum seems to be down, so I can't really check that.

Anyhow, terribly sorry to take up your time because I simply can't find things on my own here. Kudos for keeping the memory of these great games alive.
Old 2009-06-16, 10:42
Fruto di tutti frutti

Welcome to the forum, Lukipela .

The program that allows editing grids is called LBArchitect (not the Inventor's mod). Current official version is 0.10, but it's features are limited to Grid editing (it allows Scenes editing with use of Alexfont's LBA Story Coder, but it's not very convenient). I recommend you to use the unofficial version 1.0 beta 5, that has integrated Scene editing (and it's not that bugged as "beta" suffix would suggest). Links for both versions are in my signature. I also encourage you to post bug reports and suggestions in the bugtracker (the link is also in my sig).

In case you don't know the basics: Grids are the parts that character walk on, the terrain, and Scenes contain are all active elements: characters, moving platforms, and define their actions by scripts.

Yes, you need LBAWin and the original game (well, not original will do the job too ). There are few opensource engine projects, but none of them is advanced enough to allow playing. If one was, it would still require the original game files anyway.
Old 2009-06-16, 12:55
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hello Zink, and thank you for your quick and informative reply. Those links will certainly come in handy and I'll be sure to make bug reports if I do use them.

It is unfortunate (but not unexpected) that one needs a working copy of the game to run these mods. That means the target audience for a small demo of something outside the LBA universe is significantly smaller than it would otherwise be. Perhaps I'll eventually get around to doing a Twinsen adventure instead, but for now I am quite pressed for time so one fandom will have to suffice. I was attracted to the LBA engine becuae I think it's fun, pretty, easy to use and brilliant. While the game's story was very enjyoable, I think the engine is what made me truly appreciate the game.

I'm also sorry to hear that there are no open source versions that function, since those would (presumably) eventually bring us new LBA games. I see you link the prequel in your signature, I assume that project is dead and buried by now?

I don't suppose any knowledgeable LBA fan knows of some other, fairly similar engine that is editable and preferably open source? Oh well.
Old 2009-06-16, 18:44
Fruto di tutti frutti

Unfortunately, the game engine needs the original files, and I would be surprised if it didn't.

No official information that the project is dead means that it is not. At least unless I'm dead too . We're a bit in a standstill period, because we need an engine. This means an engine shall be made one day, because we can't progress without it. But that won't happen any time soon. Anyway, the engine, when it finally comes to life, probably won't necessarily need all the original LBA files to work. I think you will be able to create yourself all the files needed for the game (sounds, images, locations, etc.)

I don't follow game engines, so I can't answer you, but I've heard there are complete development environments that you can use to create your own adventure game. The only thing is that it will be hard to make the game look and feel like LBA.