Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2010-11-17, 21:18
Magic Level: Antimatter

lba2 island file theory

i dont know if this is known and as i never saw anything about this ill post my theory

lba2 islands: 2d or 3d

i had this ideia when watching the lba2 making-of
it show the citadel island as a grid, when i saw the grid, it looked alot like a grid generated by a heightmap
then i started to think and there are some evidences, like the walls of the harbours in the game, the walls of the citadel island...

so, i think lba2 islands may be 2d images instead of 3d files
Old 2010-11-18, 00:24
Magic Ball Master

What?

We already have an LBA 2 island viewer showing you the islands clearly in 3D, as well as them fully integrated into LBANet. So the programmers of those will definitely be able to tell you the exact format of them. And if they can render it in 3D, it's probably 3D.
Old 2010-11-18, 01:34
Magic Ball Master

You're partially right I think.

The Islands themselves on LBA2 are created from heightmaps which can be displayed as 2d-Images.
But all of the Objects like buildings or caves and such are done with Models so that's where real-3d comes along.

You can see those two types very well if you watch the island from beneath with the available Island-viewer(s)
Old 2010-11-18, 02:03

i think i havent explained well, i was a little in a hurry...

just becouse they can be rendered and displayed as 3d, it doens mean that they are stored as a 3d file and there are evidences of the use of heightmap as no vertical terrain, the only vertical (and/or inverted) things are objects such as buildings, cave entrances, bridges...

sorry if im a little confusing, not too good at english...
Old 2010-11-23, 01:43

i hope someone can test this so we can get closer to modding lba2 islands
Old 2011-01-06, 20:01

here is the video that gave me the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDNVN...eature=related
goto 2:38 to see the map editing
(should we ask Fred for the editor?)
Old 2011-05-21, 18:09
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
I know for a fact at least the LbaNet Team, as well as another Team out there on this forum, know the full format for LBA 2 islands, models, etc., however all my requests to them to disclose the format so us modders can develop modding tools for those things based on those formats, have gone so far ignored.

But yes, indeed the islands are made from height maps, with buildings etc. on the being in 3-D. In fact, you'll find there's a LBA 2 Island Height Map Viewer made by me floating around somewhere. But it's not just height map, it's height map along with other data which I am currently not able to decipher.
Each island is split in two files, one with extension .ILE, which has the height maps and other data required for actually rendering the island itself, and the other has extension .OBL which has the 3-D models for the buildings, etc.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:58

probably island rendering would also include designing each "square" one texture (and maybe its rotation (2bit?(0-3)))
selecting a square formed by 4 vertices and giving it texture

also maybe something to say if the square diagonal is / or \
Old 2011-09-21, 11:22
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Never seen this thread before.

So yes the lba2 island is a mix of height map for the ground and 3D objects for buildings.
We are pretty close from having the whole format decoded but there is still a few glitches here and there.

The c++ code I am using to decode the format is mainly coming from the LbaOnline project from Link.
The source code is freely available fro everyone on subversion here: http://code.google.com/p/neolbanet/source/checkout

You will find the tool to convert the lba2 island format under Tools/Lba2MapExporter

Hope this helps
Old 2011-09-22, 07:22

and how close are we to be able to modify the files?

also thought that island files must have a passible and impassible terrain info
Old 2012-02-17, 14:55
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincevent_123 View Post
Never seen this thread before.

So yes the lba2 island is a mix of height map for the ground and 3D objects for buildings.
We are pretty close from having the whole format decoded but there is still a few glitches here and there.

The c++ code I am using to decode the format is mainly coming from the LbaOnline project from Link.
The source code is freely available fro everyone on subversion here: http://code.google.com/p/neolbanet/source/checkout

You will find the tool to convert the lba2 island format under Tools/Lba2MapExporter

Hope this helps
Oh, thank you. I'm doing the SVN checkout now. Will look at the code later to see what I can understand from the code.