Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2020-04-14, 01:09
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Crazy bug in LBA2

Hey,

I initially posted a video about this 11 years ago, but since then that channel has closed. So I decided to make a new one, because this bug is so mental that people really need to see this.

Check it out and tell me what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQr9qEVJYBw

Anyone else ever seen this?
Old 2020-04-14, 11:37
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
First, two possibilities need to be eliminated:
1. That this is caused by FunnyFrog's patch (which has already been shown to have other side effects such as messing up the "freeing the Wizards" scene near the end of the game);
2. That this is caused by this being the GoG version which runs on DOSBox, hitting a DOSBox bug.

I'm going to try to reproduce this in 86Box (my emulator) to see if it works.
Old 2020-04-14, 11:44
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Well, I just reproduced this in 86Box with the DOS version of the game, so this eliminates both possibilities. The screenshot is attached. The emulator also went from 100% to 71% during this, which indicates that the game is doing something very CPU-intensive when it glitches.

Edit: If I change the level of details back to maximum during this, I end up sinking and keep dying until I get a Game Over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200414-094210-957.png‎
Views:	48
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	10313  
Old 2020-04-14, 12:36

This glitch is definitely in the original vanilla game. I discovered this decades ago when I first got the game as a kid.

Yes, increasing the detail back to max removes the artifacts so I'm guessing the only way to escape this realm of wtf is to make a jump back in the islands location and increase the detail back to max as you are jumping, but I'm not sure. I think maybe the jump animation stops if you go to the main menu. In that case I think you really are doomed there.
Old 2020-04-14, 15:17
Magic Level: Green Ball

Maybe I've spent too much time in the LBA discord, I thought this was already known. Your video was cool though
Old 2020-04-14, 20:02
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
dude I got the point in the first minute but stayed cause ur funny really enjoyed it!!! BTW, I've checked on the LBA2 demo also and it does happen there as well, just that you won't land on the water, you'll just keep falling through until you hit the same lower level polygons and u die due to the hit
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2020-04-19, 22:25
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
Twinsen

I remember this bug. I encountered it without changing the level of detail, I just climbed really high either on Volcano or Mosquibee Island. You are welcome to reproduce it if you want.
Old 2020-04-20, 01:45
Twinsunian Quetch

I also found that with the Volcano when I was a kid, yep
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2020-04-25, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
I also found that with the Volcano when I was a kid, yep
How does that work? Is there any footage? When I set the level of detail back up the glitch goes away, but people have been saying that you can get this glitch without setting the level of detail down by climbing up a tall mountain somehow or using a jetpack..
Old 2020-04-25, 19:16
Twinsunian Quetch

To tell you the truth I don't remember how. Back when I first got to play LBA2 (which was my first LBA), I had a pirate copy from a Games Magazine, don't remember the name. And the copy had a corrupt VIDEO.HQR file, which meant as soon as I freed the wizard from the Tralu in the caves, when I exited the caves and the cinematic would normally kick in, the game would crash. So in my disappointment, all I did was roam around Desert Island since I just loved the scenery and I've spent probably 1-2 years doing only that so I tried ALL SORTS of crazy things
Old 2020-04-28, 14:42
Welcome to Zirla!

- Quetch: I supect there was no VIDEO.HQR file at all, ie. was Razor 1911's release. They later released a fix that would fix that crash.

I luckily had it legitimate from the get go, and as such, did not have such problems. My mother and I did however, have problems finding how to go to the next scene in the cave, and some French woman online (I believe her name was "Lapierre") helped us by telling us to shoot the magic ball in discreet mode.

Also, it's interesting how the game has that corruption bug, evidently in some parts, the island data part of the memory gets overwritten by random garbage or something.
Old 2020-04-28, 15:50
Twinsunian Quetch

@Battler: it did actually, it was a 1kB file, as all the movies were removed, the whole game was about 126 MB if I remember correctly. It was just corrupt, as the next version I had was also pirated, with a 1kB file, just this one worked and allowed me to play the whole game I came across the legitimate version years later
Old 2020-04-28, 17:11
Welcome to Zirla!

- Quetch: Must have been unpatched .EXE then, still looking for VIDEO.HQR on the (non-existent) CD instead of the game's directory, and the other pirated version had it patched then.
Old 2020-04-28, 18:43
Twinsunian Quetch

I think so yep, they kind of morphed 2 into 1 and it ended up with a crappy crash which was a blessing in the sky for me now that I'm looking back