Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-06-20, 09:09
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Classic Games - The Remake

hey there guys, I've started an open-source project in which all of you are welcome to help. As you will read in the website, I need a small team first and then, I'll start working on the games ... usually a game takes around 1-2 weeks to be completed so hurry up with the team assembly if u want games Link : http://otringal.789mb.com/index.html
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles

Last edited by Quetch; 2007-06-20 at 10:42.
Old 2007-06-20, 09:26
Look beyond reality.

First I thought you wanted to do a 3d remake, but the website tells me you want the same graphics as the original.
I'd suggest you group up with some of the lba-modification masterminds like Alexfont, Link, Obrasilero, etc as they already made some promising progress on lba mods.
Old 2007-06-20, 09:41
Twinsunian Quetch

nope, I don't want 3D games and not LBA games either LBA will come AFTER the attention has been captured with those games. Now I want 2D graphics such as sprites, tiles, etc. but I don't want them as the original cause I can easily rip those or make them myself. But that's not the point cause I want the PEOPLE to make THEIR games with MY help so no one will blame me if Jerry is fat it's one of the team members plus I don't want no perfection thingy ... I just want fun games to play and EVERYONE is invited. You too, bot13 you are a good texturer so I figure u can do 2d sprites
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-06-20, 13:34
Twinsunian Quetch

website updated added 3 very old games in the collection note : they are BAD cause I was just beginning to make games
Old 2007-06-20, 14:31
Magic Ball Master

For shizzle, you should put some work into making a Super Star Wars style 2d platformer. Really bang out a good 16-bit style remake of the classics for the SNES. In fact, do it for the new trilogy, it would be kicky.
Old 2007-06-20, 14:42
Twinsunian Quetch

u really think so ? hmmm I will consider that as soon as I assemble the team also, DJ and others, start posting your game wishes
Old 2007-06-20, 14:53
Magic Ball Master

Yes. I loved the old Super Star Wars series, but you could really re-do them, change some of the mechanics, and make them less arcadey and more fun. Make force powers more realistic (some of the ones in the game were crap). Better still, just add the new sprites and back it up to the storyline of the "new" trilogy, or even make it span the entire trilogy.

I'd love to help on a project like that as far as level design (not technical) and story ideas and such.
Old 2007-06-20, 14:56
Twinsunian Quetch

well then level design and story it is especially cause I don't know pretty much about StarWars I mean I saw some episodes and played the majority of the games but never liked the story ( don't flame me ) anyway, if we are to make the game, you'll be our lead designer that I promise you
Old 2007-06-20, 16:16
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
if u ever decide to make a star wars game then i will probably help you with some story facts and designing... but im uncertain :P
Old 2007-06-20, 16:36
Twinsunian Quetch

ok then BUT any other game ideas ? also, anyone volunteering ?
Old 2007-06-20, 16:41
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
To be honest, join prequel .

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-06-20, 17:33
Twinsunian Quetch

lol me no wants no LBA project at the moment and I am in the prequel too LBA games tend to get abandoned too soon so, any OTHER game ideas ?
Old 2007-06-20, 17:45
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
To be honest, join prequel .
That's what you say to every single new project. Why only that one anyways? The team is full, and still has some useless members (i.e. me). Why not offer some useful advice or something? Not everyone just wants to join a project for the sake of a project.

Website seems very in style.

Star Wars sounds like a good idea, try something simple as a sort of warm-up to get everyone started, like a little maze game, if you want advice. It will get everyone working together, and should be finished quickly to move onto some real stuff.
Old 2007-06-20, 17:50
Twinsunian Quetch

Ricochet, GREAT idea !!! really some psychology in those words of yours I'll come up with the plans by tonight THANKS !!!
Old 2007-06-20, 19:09
Magic Ball Master

Oh well, do what keeps your spirit up then. Perhaps a game like the ice climbers?, or maybe Lolo and Lala game.

How will these games be written?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-06-20, 19:22
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
well then level design and story it is especially cause I don't know pretty much about StarWars I mean I saw some episodes and played the majority of the games but never liked the story ( don't flame me ) anyway, if we are to make the game, you'll be our lead designer that I promise you
Cool! Thanks!

My question echoes another one though...how do you plan to write these games...what program(s)? If its possible to edit the ROM's of, for example, an SNES game, do you have tools to do so?
Old 2007-06-20, 19:35
Twinsunian Quetch

well actually all I need are the sprites and I can extract them easily with any emulator which supports the PAUSE button ( all are ) but I will try to use the sprites made by the fans & the team cause after all, they are YOUR games people anyway, the games will be written in the GMK scripting language, and the visual editor that comes with GameMaker OR DarkBasic that depends on the complexity of the game. So, I already know the cool game Ice Climbers and I will look at Lolo and Lala too Thanks LBAWinOwns also DJ, think of other games too cause IF starwars won't be first on the list ( don't worry, I have no reasons to think that but it's a possibility ), surely you must have another die-for game which u wanna see in action again

P.S. TO ALL : think of games which will keep the spirit up and NOT, I repeat NOT only your favourite games cause you might want to make Zelda for example but if the others won't like it, the project will be dead within the hour
Old 2007-06-20, 20:07
Magic Ball Master

I think the game Is just labeled Lolo, Lolo 2, and Lolo 3.

Lolo's girlfriend Lala which is pink and has a ribbon bow, joins in Lolo 2 or 3 I think. It's for NES only I think.

The genre is logic.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-06-20, 20:09
Twinsunian Quetch

COOL let me check it and thanks man
Old 2007-06-21, 08:59
Twinsunian Quetch

Lolo is SUPER !!! If you guys vote for it, it will be on the top list
Old 2007-06-21, 10:23
Returning after 5 years!

I ain't sure if I might be much use. Here is a Diddy Kong I just made for a Donkey Kong sequel.

Name:  diddy.gif
Views: 117
Size:  307 Bytes

Enlarged:

Name:  diddybig.gif
Views: 106
Size:  857 Bytes

Last edited by PlasmaStorm; 2007-06-21 at 12:54.
Old 2007-06-21, 11:39
Twinsunian Quetch

WOW plasma !!! that is GREAT !!! question : has the Donkey Kong sequel been made using your sprite ? also, can you make various sprites like that for other projects as well ? cause I REALLY want you in the team
Old 2007-06-21, 12:45
Returning after 5 years!

Thanks for your comment Quetch!

1. Nup, that wasn't actually used in a game, I made it just to see what skills I can do trying to make it NES like. I had never done any spriting before ever.

2. I ain't the best spriter, but maybe.

3. Sure, I'd like to join the team!
Old 2007-06-21, 12:51
Twinsunian Quetch

lol that's the best NES-like sprite I've ever seen that looks almost like mine ... I mean u made diddy kong funny, cartoonish and u've preserved the 8-bit aspect very well also, I don't need the BEST spriter cause if I wanted perfection, I could have easily rip them off the NES or I could have made them myself the way I like them BUT as I said, I want YOU people to make fun games, not me cause I already made countless games and quite frankly, I got sick of doing that anyway, I REALLY want you in the team and also, here's a tip : the sprite you made ( diddy ) uses an ASCII 80's style, meaning it has no black outline, which is fine but only for ASCII games ( ascii games = black background and single screened like Mario Bros ). Personally, I like them the most but for some games, we might require some black outline ( look at the NES twinsen sprite in my avatar ) anyway, that's piece of cake but I thought I should give u this tip

edit : if u wanna improve your skills even more, here's another thing u could try : u see that diddy's legs are a bit odd. Question : WHY ? Answer : cause the rest of the body is viewed from the side while the legs appear from the front and then the feet from the side again. Solution :look in the mirror when u'r standing like diddy from the side. u see that you can see only one leg and when you're moving , the other leg appears from behind again, look at my sprite. But anyway, this advice is only for your personal interest cause I like the way Diddy is now VERY MUCH has an ATARI feel

Last edited by Quetch; 2007-06-21 at 12:56.
Old 2007-06-21, 13:07
Returning after 5 years!

Ok, here is Diddy outlined:

Name:  diddyoutline.gif
Views: 105
Size:  366 Bytes

I think this one looks mutch better, but when playing games with a black backround, this pretty much won't show.

Sorry, this one couldn't be enlarged.

Last edited by PlasmaStorm; 2007-06-21 at 13:17.