Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-02-25, 03:45
Alex Kidd

Send a message via MSN to d0X
Yeah i remember it being one of those kid quiz game shows, he would still have the tape of him on it.
Old 2006-02-25, 19:59
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I stumbled across the LBA1 demo when it was first released to PC Gamer UK (floppy disk edition!). I remember being bitterly disappointed when I discovered that, upon just getting a breath of fresh air, poor Twinsen couldn't get any further.

Played around in the demo pretty much constantly until LBA1 was released - can't think why . One thing I don't remember about the demo - y'know there was that semi-secret way back into the Citadel (wasn't there a clone elephant guy in there?)? Was that there in the demo? Either it was in the demo or the full game, but I spent hours trying to progress at that bit!

Really really loved the look of LBA1 and the music and voices, which I happily gloated my friend over (who only had the floppy disk version).

Got LBA2 as soon as it was released, even though I only had a P60 and the reccommended specs called for a P90. I was v.relieved that the movies played flawlessly and it still only took a split second to re-render the 3D scenes.

Completed that a few times, but it's been years since I've played . I remember being genuinely moved by the whole of the end of LBA2, especially the ending sequence. I still get those feelings every time I hear the soundtrack, but tinged with regret that it's been so long.

We *have* to do our bit to get LBA3 released!

Scarfman007
Old 2006-02-25, 22:24
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
LBA1 demo (I'm not going to tell the full story again, I believe I have done that a lot of times already in similar threads).
Old 2006-02-25, 22:33
Magic Level: Red Ball

I first encountered LBA through a friend of mine. I remember being really impressed by the graphics and the whole thing had a special feel to it that I had not experienced in gaming up until that point. I was about 15 years old at the time and I remember thinking that it would be my mission in life to become a game developer and become involved in a project as great as LBA. Anyway, I persuaded my friend to swap the game for some rubbish racing game and never looked back!

It seems to me that most people found out about LBA through "word of mouth". I don't think that the game was marketed as well as it should have been. For a game to become this popular mainly through recommendations means it really had something special going for it - not just game industry hype.
Old 2006-02-26, 13:11
Banned

I bought a magazine in 1998, where the LBA2 demo where included.
Old 2006-02-26, 13:52

I also got LBA2 in a demo CD in 1998. I used to play the demo (knocking that kid off the building and killing crabs) for hours. I was very young though. I told my mum how much I liked it and she eventually got it for me for christmas. Now I've just bought a copy of LBA1 off ebay. Yeah.
Old 2006-03-07, 19:30
2Pac For Life!

Send a message via MSN to revenge_guy
I remember when i first got LBA2, i ha dplayed the demo and thought it was quite good (i was about 4 at the time lol) but when i went into hospital for a op. ages ago dad said he would get me a game, i picked a random game off the shelf because it caught my eye with the dino-fly on the box (i was OBSESSED with dinosaurs at the time) and when i played it it was LBA2!

Me and my old man spent ages trying to get past the part were you have to throw the ball at the switch in the cave in citadel to free raph. We worked for ages at it when we fianlly resorted to a walkthrough (which kind of ruined it for me, like i did with monkey island!)
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
Old 2006-03-07, 20:12
Neko

A friend of mine had this game and showed it to me. I wasn't warm or cold but liked the music. I decided to buy it from him for a small price and played it with another friend of mine.

We suddenly got hooked. Before I couldn't understand the temple of buu and how to beat it, but with an enthusiastic friend next to me I had the power to go further. It was real weird....it was so kind of exciting, that I always used to ask any question (being about the legend or the pirate) to any possible character, expecially after I finished the game first time.

Lba 2 was very exciting, but always had me kind of dissapointed the original islands weren't there. And it was just weird to see it being so more cartoonish and stuff. Especially seeing the temple of buu being a theme park :O
Old 2006-03-08, 14:55

I was really into adventure games. Mainly the LucasArts classics like Monkey Island, and Day of the Tentacle. One christmas my Dad brought me Little Big Adventure... I had never heard of it (I didn't read the gaming press or anything back then). My Dadm who wasn't into games at all, had done some reasearch, read some reviews etc, looking for a game I might like. It has probably stuck with me so much becasue I didn't know what the hell it was when I unwrapped it, and ended up loving it.

After I played it I said "Wow, thats the best game I have ever played"... since LBA I have only ever said "Wow, thats the second best game I have ever played" upon finishing a game.
Old 2006-03-08, 19:39
Enemy of Reality

I guess around 95-96 or so it came along with my dad's new computer. Oh man I was hooked from the very beginning and after that i bought loads of adventure games like Ecstatica, Bioforge and Fade to black. But none of them could compare to Lba.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on Lba2 and I remember downloading pictures of it and just looked at them for hours. Then I downloaded the demo, 14 meg with 28 kbps modem. Then finally it was released and I bought it the first day - and loved it. Been waiting for Lba3 ever since
Old 2006-03-09, 17:36
Let's make LBA 3 happen!

LBA2-First I played LBA 2 because my brother had that game copeyed from a friend and then he set it on the hard disk,but I was then an very very very young kid so I dont now it[and we had no cd-rom of the game].A few years later I found the game on the computer and I played it but the game was weird because there was no movies and speech and music only the sound of the gameplay and the game itself .then I played the game by an friend of my and he has movies and all that stuff so I saw that he has the cd in the pc.So I was going directly going to search the game on Ebay and I have it now 2 years .So I played it and I saw all the movies and music etc.And till then I loved the game for ever and ever.

LBA1-After playing LBA2 2 years time after time I decided to play LBA1 so I checkt out Ebay and now I have the game 5 monds now but I cant play it because it not worked on windows so decided to become a beta tester on www.lbawin.net and downloaded lbawin and I have played the game 4 days now and I cant get farther in the game.But I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 2006-03-11, 10:47
Brian Clough's a genius!

Send a message via MSN to Baronvon
My mate was around for the weekend and years ago and we were just browsing through my dads PC for games and such and stumbled across the LBA2 demo...and that was that as far as LBA2 was concerned.

Obviously I then wanted to play the original so my dad bought it for me one day after work...shame it always crashed when you met Zoe Due to this bug being seemingly unavoidable I gave up and almost forgot about the game until years later, last summer infact, I stumbled across this site and found a patch for it. So after digging out the disc that had almost vanished from memory I installed the game along with the patch and hey presto, it worked.

Then due to pretty crappy weather and it being the school holidays I then proceeded to finish it in two days...admittedly that included me playing it just about all day but hey, I'd waited six or seven years to play that game, who could blame me?

T'was worth the wait anyway.
Old 2006-03-15, 02:49
New efforts! :)

I was 8 years old when I played LBA2 the first time
my dad saw me bored playing chess on the computer and he asked me to try the game.

I liked the game and started playing it but...

it took me 1 year 10 months 1 week and 1 day to win the game

Now I would like to play LBA1 but I can't find it. Where can I buy it?
Old 2006-05-12, 17:45
Previously Link

I was less than 10, 8 or 9, i don't remember, it was a christmas present from one of my uncles. I felt in love with the box before i felt in love with the game (the 2nd episode). It was the first time i saw 3d in it was my 2nd PC video game after Flight Simulator 95. It took me over 1 year to reach the end.
Old 2006-05-12, 17:58
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBiscuit
After I played it I said "Wow, thats the best game I have ever played"... since LBA I have only ever said "Wow, thats the second best game I have ever played" upon finishing a game.
You're really in lucasarts' adventure games. ^__^
(Monkey Island's "that's the second * I ever saw" ^_^)
Old 2006-05-12, 18:08
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen
Old 2006-05-12, 19:15
Mathemagician

In 1995 my folks got PC bits. They handed over too much money, and the shop didn't have change, so they through in some games to make up the difference. Theme Park, Magic Carpet and LBA.

I suppose thats why I've always thought Magic Carpet was bad and Theme Park was merly 'good'.
Old 2006-05-13, 12:09
Magic Level: Green Ball

Send a message via MSN to StraToN
LBA 1 : 1995. My father comes back home with something new for for brothers and I : a PC. We were using an IBM-PC for about 3 years, to play Indiana Jones on it .

Then we install the PC, we discover Windows 95 (wooow), and some little funny games in bundle with the PC. LBA was there.
Unfortunately, I was only 8 y-o and my father, who doesn't really play games, couldn't tell me what it was... I remember he told it was a software...

2 years later, I try the CD ROM for the first time, and of course, I don't know what to in the cell at the very beginning of the game. I've find the way to do, and i 've entered in the dream...

LBA 2 : I loved LBA 1, even if i didn't finish it. When I knew LBA 2 was out, I just asked for it for my 11th birthday . I finished LBA 2 before LBA 1.
Old 2006-05-13, 12:13
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
I played LBA2 when I was 8
Old 2006-05-14, 16:24
I lost the Game!

same age as me
Old 2006-05-14, 21:57
Sc@tman

my parents had bought me a computer for christmas in 1996 and i needed to get a game for it. I went down to a shop called Dixons and they had an offer on, if you buy a EA game u get LBA1 for free with it, so i got Magic Carpet. I didnt know anything about LBA before I got it, but i much prefered it to magic carpet. I was hooked after that, took me months to complete it cos i was just a kid with no friends who liked it to give me tips.

LBA2 had huge amounts of publicity in the UK, i remember bus stops having huge adverts of LBA in them, i think i saw it on the side of the double decker red buses in London as well. So as soon as that came out I got it.
Old 2006-05-15, 12:21
Zebrazilla

My father saw this add of LBA2 in a local store-paper-thingy, that he got in the mail. In there, he saw this jolly looking game that was remarkably cheap. He then showed me this and urged me into wanting to have it, and hen went to buy it.

I am in great debt to my father, for both finding and buying LBA for me, but also for opening up my eyes for cheap adds. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. ^^

He kept reminding me for years to come that it was indeed his initiative that made me obtain on of the greatest games of alltime. Eventually, he started to really brag about it, and he still does from time to time, whenever I somehow casually remind him of LBA.

What really boggles my mind though is the cheap price of the game. Really, LBA2 had probably just been out for 4-5 months when I bought it. How the hell could they obtain such a cheap price?

I believe my version is the U.K. version (or perhaps, just a general international english version) also. Because the box has everything written in english, when all the other versions I've seen in sweden was in swedish.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2006-05-16, 19:01
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
I just noticed how many of our cases involve family members.
Exactly! Thats what was so special about this set of games. It brought families together. I think game developers have missed out on this with todays games.

Originally we had an Amstrad and as a family we played Head over heels, Batman, Fiendesh Freddy and Dizzy. Then we bought our first pc from a small company in my town.... He suggested we bought LBA as he claimed it was going to be a big hit.

Normally my dad isnt suckered into all these 'deals' but when I saw the back of the box I asked if we could get it.

So thats how it started for me. I still remember the first time we played the game. We all sat round the new super vga colour pc and marveled at the music and amazing graphics.

Every night after school and dinner we would all sit together and take it in turns to move Twinsen and figure out the puzzles.

It most probably took us longer to finish the game but for us it was kind of like a bed time story

Even to this day we still talk about LBA, the music and that bloody puzzle with the crates!

This is why games like this need to survive! Bring on LBA 3... please!
Old 2006-05-17, 15:05
Badass

that was back in 1995 . I was 9 and there was a guy who installed it on the school's computer so i tried it out . i loved it and i bought it... then in 1997 i bought LBA2 and now im waiting for LBA3
Old 2006-05-18, 12:32
LBArea

As I think back, I can remember that in 1999 or 1998 (was 11 years old) a schoolfellow brought me Lba1, it was the age of Win '95 so there where no problems like Windows patch and that stuff, a year later he also had Lba2, he lend me this game too, and somehow it came that we forgot these games, and a few years ago as I was cleaning up my room I found them again. So the CD's I have don't belong to me, but the owner never showed up again, and I think he is not that nostalgic like me, so he would not play these best role game ever.