Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2007-03-28, 17:25
Master of Science & Magic

I think sword fighting would be even better...

but doing the lightning spell would look rediculous
Old 2007-03-28, 17:56
!!!!!

I hope LBA3 will have a bit more gore, no more people disappearing and turning into stars and magic flakes...

Or maybe they can make cool "dying" effects; for example:
When you kill a Grobo it can turn into lots of miniature elephants running away. If you kill all the elephants you can get an extra heart or magic flake.

When you kill a Rabbibunny it turns into lots of rabbits, a Franco turn into lots of mini hotdogs, etc.
Old 2007-03-28, 18:08
Mathemagician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I hope LBA3 will have a bit more gore, no more people disappearing and turning into stars and magic flakes...

Or maybe they can make cool "dying" effects; for example:
When you kill a Grobo it can turn into lots of miniature elephants running away. If you kill all the elephants you can get an extra heart or magic flake.

When you kill a Rabbibunny it turns into lots of rabbits, a Franco turn into lots of mini hotdogs, etc.
No white stars and magic flakes!? HERESY!

Seriously having gore and removing the surealism of white stars for damage, at least for me, would be a reduction of the LBAness of the game and thus a bad thing.
Old 2007-03-28, 18:10
Templar of Bù

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiB View Post
No white stars and magic flakes!? HERESY!

Seriously having gore and removing the surealism of white stars for damage, at least for me, would be a reduction of the LBAness of the game and thus a bad thing.
I second that. It would really ruin part of the game.
Old 2007-03-28, 18:11
!!!!!

Look at the second part of my post...
Old 2007-03-28, 18:16
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post

but doing the lightning spell would look rediculous
Don't forget a Protection Spell in first person mode.
Old 2007-03-28, 18:44
Do the evolution.

IT was done nicely in BG&E, you couldnt' kill any civilians, soldiers simply blew up, and other creatures dived out of sky or blew up in some other fancy yet beliavable fashion - remember that the difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to appear viable .
Old 2007-03-28, 19:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Indeed.
No Wii game has got good sword fighting yet, mind.
Its annoying...the fact the Baseball game in WiiSports shows its possible, as that as 1:1 movement correspondence between bat and remote.

I think the problem is not so much the input, but programing enemy's to fight your sword movements. Tricky enough to do with animations and look right, harder still if your trying to make a AI characters fight against totally unpredictable movements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post

Thats a really cool idea, actualy.

Not sure what Twinsen would be doing killing them, mind.
Old 2007-03-28, 21:11
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
The civilians will do nothing when you hit them and they are immortal XD

And the enemies will just get dizzy for the moment or something

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-03-28, 21:42
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I really fear that LBA will evolve in the same way POP did .... Prince of Persia was such a cool dungeon & traps game and then it turned out to be an ancient form of Matrix ... next thing u know LBA will have slowmotion , all kinds of effects like wall running , slowing down time , special embedded magicballs , etc.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-03-28, 22:44
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Only the last Prince of Persia game was utterly fantastic.
Not only with some very cool gameplay, but with great storytelling too.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:13
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Only the last Prince of Persia game was utterly fantastic.
Not only with some very cool gameplay, but with great storytelling too.
Sands of Time + Two Thrones rock the old Prince of Persia (I + II) any time... and that annoying hour time limit .

Anyway, I want - no! I demand! For lba III to be like BG&E, with a bigger world, bigger cities, sort of a funky sci-fi style, but trying to be realistic and convincing at the same time, no blood is necessary tough, there are enough ways to dispose of an enemy. And the more of a cinematic approach they will have the better - wich means nice cutscenes, made preferably on the game engine with a cinematic camera. Aboslute no, to a big open free roaming world, I don't care about three different endings, dialogues having impact on future dialogues etc. It's not an RPG game, all it needs is a nice epic sci-fi/fantasy funky story, with strong charachters, pleasing colorfull graphics and a good balance between happy, funky and dark, grim parts of the story.

I wouldnt mind if they ditched the behavior modes, but I guess they might be somehting refreshing. I don't mind playing charachters different then Twinsen - in fact he's role I think should be more like a side kick, or an ally we meet from time to time - In fact I think he's status quo should change, from a young hero to a responsible leader, and his son preferably with his gf doing most of the action stuff, while he would be focused on some sort of a resitance agaisnt a new enemy - and they might play in different levels up to a point where they would eventually meet not long before the final fight.

Graphics don't need to be high end, of course they should be nice, but no too modern stuff is really required, anyways stuff like normal mapping on everything and using too much shaders in a tpp funky game looks not nice and it hurts the eyes - unless it looks like Little Big Planet... .

But all of this won't be worth a dime for me if it comes for a console.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:17
Master of Science & Magic

SOT and T2T were good evolutions of POP, and it really fits the POP formula. Specially the wallrunning fits POP.

If LBA evolves in a similar fashion it would be nice. Not towards a POP game, but in the same way....
Old 2007-03-28, 23:59
Templar of Bù

I just hope they do not incorporate the neon-flashy-weird-light-shiny-colourfulness-of-doom-and-eternal-destruction that almost every game has nowadays... I'm talking about flashy lights when you for example hit an enemy, blinking stuff everywhere... spells/skills that create awesome fireworks every second... Like Diablo2, Warcraft III, the new Turtles game, Guild Wars, the Tekken series, you name it!

I hate it, and I would hate the whole world if LBA got such a destiny.
Old 2007-03-29, 17:52
Classic

Regarding style, I dont think bump mapping of any sort will suit LBA.
It might be for adding detail, but it always seems to result in far too much of a high contrast situation. I dont think I have ever seen it used nicely for lba style of game.

Some shader effects certainly will help, falloff, bloom ect can be used where it would fit. BG&E is a good template indeed.
Nice water effects are a must.

As for behavour modes, well, one or the other;

a) Ditch them, add manual ball arc controll.
b) Make more use of them, have them effect speach and every aspex of what twinsen does. Make them easy switchable with L+R on console versions.
Old 2007-03-29, 17:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
b) Make more use of them, have them effect speach and every aspex of what twinsen does. Make them easy switchable with L+R on console versions.
They already do have effects on speach in LBA 2, though very slightly and overseen. For example, talk to the policeman in front of the Otringal prison in sporty mode.
Old 2007-03-29, 18:26
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
lol I am as biggest POP fan as I am of LBA ... ( every game has its own feeling so they are not the same cause they spark different kinds of flames inside if u know what I mean ) and I know it was AWSOME but I only wanted to say that the LBA feeling as we know it will be gone , even if it will be a new cool one ... nothing replaces the original
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-03-29, 20:01
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
They already do have effects on speach in LBA 2, though very slightly and overseen. For example, talk to the policeman in front of the Otringal prison in sporty mode.
Really ? Never knew that.
Old 2007-03-29, 20:03
!!!!!

There's also that female rabbibunny in LBA1 who tells Twinsen she won't talk to him anymore if he's in aggressive mode.
Old 2007-03-29, 21:07
Sheepie for short

But in LBA1 you can't talk unless you're in normal mode. Of course if you use LBAWin then you can set it so you can use "w", but that wasn't orignally implemented in the game so it shouldn't have any effect.

Edit: or does she just say that without you even talking to her?

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2007-03-29, 21:22
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sheep View Post
Edit: or does she just say that without you even talking to her?
Yeah, that one.
Old 2007-03-30, 21:53
Neko

Calm down quickly, if you're going to be like that I won't speak to you anymore.

and ofcourse; if you hit her, she won't.