Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2007-11-19, 03:27
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA 1&2 isles size

It seems to me that isles are somewhat bigger in LBA1, aren't they? Maybe because the absence of perspective. Has somebody tried to compare Citadel island in any way? By steps, maybe
Old 2007-11-19, 10:31
Look beyond reality.

Your name reminds me of one of my favorite bands "The Exies".

Some people remade the original LBA1 Citadel Island into a 3D-version, and they match pretty well with the interpretation LBA2 gave to it.
And if I'm not mistaken there even was a piece of software to read the blocks from the isometric, and export them to real 3D!
Old 2007-11-19, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Your name reminds me of one of my favorite bands "The Exies"
Heh

Quote:
Some people remade the original LBA1 Citadel Island into a 3D-version
Do you mean LBA3D project or whatever it was?

Quote:
And if I'm not mistaken there even was a piece of software to read the blocks from the isometric, and export them to real 3D!
You know, 3D space is a really relative thing I'm afraid there will be no clues how isles' sizes are compared with each other.
Old 2007-11-19, 14:25
Magic Ball Master

I think the LBA 1 isles seemed larger because of the isometric perspective, but also, because they crammed more buildings and places in the area.

In LBA 2, Desert Island is huge, for example, but seems small because there are really only a few places to do things at. That might be because a desert should be vast and empty, but I think that LBA 2, even if the islands were "bigger," didn't have that same overwhelming feeling that the original did, when it came to island sizes.

Keep in mind, part of it may be that LBA 1 had "scenes" throughout the islands, whereas LBA 2 loaded 1 big island (sans interiors) so that you could explore the island without having to load every time you reached the edge of the screen. That also may make it appear to be a bit smaller and fluid.
Old 2007-11-19, 14:42
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Do you really see that there are edges everywhere around you in the isometric LBA1? Perhaps the islands are longer than what you can explore with Twinsen.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-11-19, 15:21
Magic Ball Master

I don't know, I just don't like the whole "scene" idea, it really breaks up the continuity of a level.

Hence, why I liked LBA 2's camera and setup more than I did the LBA 1 design.
Old 2007-11-19, 16:52
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Double-J: Well, LBA 2 still retained part of that even with the 3-D islands. Look at Citadel Island, for example. When you're in the area near the tavern, you can notice, that there are no actors in the area near the pharmacy, but as soon, as you go to that area, the actors appear. It's because even though the static parts are loaded all together, the dynamic parts (the scenes) still aren't.
Old 2007-11-19, 17:23
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
if u want to know for sure, LBA2's islands are BIGGER trust me I made a deep analysis
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-11-19, 18:31
Master of Science & Magic

LBA1 islands are bigger because there is no guarantee that two scenes are directly corrected
Old 2007-11-19, 18:46
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- elmuerte: What are you talking about? In LBA 1, when you pass between scenes, that are not directly connected, you always see that Holomap animation. So I don't see, why they should show it in some cases, but not in some other cases. It just makes no sense. And it's also proved by Citadel Island, where LBA 2 confirmed, that the scenes are directly connected.
Old 2007-11-19, 18:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo View Post
- elmuerte: What are you talking about? In LBA 1, when you pass between scenes, that are not directly connected, you always see that Holomap animation. So I don't see, why they should show it in some cases, but not in some other cases. It just makes no sense. And it's also proved by Citadel Island, where LBA 2 confirmed, that the scenes are directly connected.
And what about Principal Island? Didn't we have numerous discussions about the space that has to lie between all those scenes?
Old 2007-11-19, 19:08
Welcome to Zirla!

Yes, we did. And the only person to say that the areas weren't directly connected, was elmuerte. I think everyone else was of the opinion, that the areas were directly connected.
Not to even mention, that if we add all those areas in between, Principal Island becomes bgiger, than Desert Island, which contradicts the Holomap.
Old 2007-11-19, 19:18
Neko

What? ofcourse those scenes aren't directly connected.

Some scenes you really feel there should be a bit of space inbetween.
Old 2007-11-19, 19:34
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
No, you only see it in cases where you use a vehicle and travel great distances.
You don't see a holomap animation when you pass through the sacret carrot passage, nor do you see a holomap animation when you travel across the hamalayi to the ski resort. You don't get anything when you travel through the rabbit hole. The clear water lake isn't directly behind that hamalyi fortress (check your holomap).

LBA2 is still wrong. Besides, Citadel Island didn't have a light house or island of the dome in LBA1.
Old 2007-11-19, 19:39
Neko

yeah...the strenght of lba1 was also imagination. You imagine, and there's suggestion that there's spaces in between. not entire cities I think...
Old 2007-11-19, 21:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Yes, we did. And the only person to say that the areas weren't directly connected, was elmuerte. I think everyone else was of the opinion, that the areas were directly connected.
Not to even mention, that if we add all those areas in between, Principal Island becomes bgiger, than Desert Island, which contradicts the Holomap.
I also think those areas are not connected. Also, be careful with the holomap. The sphere form creates difficulties in comparing the sizes of an island on the pole and an island between pole and equator.
Old 2007-11-19, 22:49
Previously Link

There are some places with areas in between, but those are mainly the places where there is some kind of door, like the sacred carrot. But 90% of the scenes are directly connected.

Now what we're doing in this thread is comparing the size of the island between LBA1 and LBA2, and the only island which appears in both games with the same shape is Citadel island. So, I think the basic idea that triggers this question is that we get the feeling that it's bigger in LBA1, at least for sure it takes more time to cross the island in LBA1. But I think like it has been mentioned before that it's just a feeling we get due to the separate scenes and the isometric perspective. In the end what would make more sense is that the islands size between LBA1 and LBA2 is the same.

Now another question could be:
Is the explorable surface bigger in LBA1 or LBA2 ?
Old 2007-11-19, 22:59
Magic Ball Master

LBA 2 has a lot more regions on Citadel Island that just weren't in LBA 1. Lighthouse, weather wizard's tent, cliffs of the Woodbridge, Tral├╝'s cave, the beach was made bigger, so was the park in front of Chez Luc.
Old 2007-11-20, 08:56
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
A lighthouse could be built during the time that were between the two games.

The Dome of the Slate island is on the other hand much harder to explain .

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-11-20, 15:30
Mathemagician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
A lighthouse could be built during the time that were between the two games.

The Dome of the Slate island is on the other hand much harder to explain .
Dunno. The holomap in LBA1 didn't have the 'zoom in to the island' function that LBA2 had. Hence it is possible (looking at it's size) that the Dome Of The Slate is simply to small to show up on the holomap without zooming in on Citadel Island. Seriosuly, there are tons of islands on Earth that aren't on globes due to them being tiny., and any Island you can run all the way round the outside of in less than 20 seconds surely qualifies.

Also- we don't see the bit of Citadel Island that the Lighthouse is built on in LBA1- in fact we don't see anything west of Twinsens chimney (i.e. where the Dino-Fly is at the beginning of LBA2), so it may have been there all along. You'd hope so with a docks nearby, certainly.
Old 2007-11-21, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
if u want to know for sure, LBA2's islands are BIGGER trust me I made a deep analysis
What were your comparison methods, BTW?

Finally, I've got an ability to measure them by my own. I've checked if Twinsen's athletic steps are the same for LBA1&2 (compared them to "normal" steps and have got the same ratio) and then I've run thru Citadel using some markers. LBA1's length was 25% greater than LBA2's one, but width was actually the same. So I dunno how Adeline drew the islands... I suppose they should have a kind of grid. They should use the same for both games, shouldn't they?
Old 2007-11-24, 21:29
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
They're different outside engines, they can't use the same grid.
Old 2007-11-25, 08:32
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I compared them using the bare naked eye but if u want a clear method, count the size in steps
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-11-25, 15:50
Previously Link

I'm not sure they walk at the same speed. Exie, the fact that they have the same ratio doesn't mean they have the same length... (how did you check the ratio btw ?).
Old 2007-11-25, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
They're different outside engines, they can't use the same grid.
I mean geographical grid, not internal map structure itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
I'm not sure they walk at the same speed.
Actually, Twinsen does. His 25 normal steps ~ 10 athletic, both in LBA1 and 2, and there's no visible difference in his walking animation.
And yesterday I checked LBA1's Citadel stitched area map picture which I had seen earlier. I've simply forgot about that thing. Yes, it is looks distinctively longer.

Tha fact is clear for me now