Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2008-05-24, 20:29
Hello

Rebel=Good?

RosaMarie brought soemthing to my attention, in both LBA games it's centred around rebellion against the planet's government, why haven't any of them been to defend the government?

I know this is a silly thread, but it could make an intresting discussion.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2008-05-24, 21:04
LOLwut?

I think the whole idea of be a small rebel force against a bigger, stronger and giant empire is a common idea both games and cinema. Other medias too.

All that makes the game more epic in scale :P, and makes our hero a real one.

I don't think there's something to do with goverment critics from Raynal.

Umm maybe it is. But historical critics.

Did you noticed that the emperor in LBA2 looks a lot like Napoleon?

Old 2008-05-24, 21:06
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its because in most storys, "little guy fighting the big guy" seems more entertaining then "big guys maintaining status-quo".

Same reason we dont have FPS games where you have a massive armed fortress and you defend it from one invader
Old 2008-05-24, 21:28
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
it was just the case ... you know, the system was bad, thus the rebells were fighting for a good cause ... if it was the opposite and the system would have been good, then the rebels would have been the trouble makers
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-05-24, 21:30
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
it was just the case ... you know, the system was bad, thus the rebells were fighting for a good cause ... if it was the opposite and the system would have been good, then the rebels would have been the trouble makers
It would be funny play as the evil one at least once.

Even on GTA's that never happens. Your character is the best guy around(OK they are all gangsta but yours it the good one :P)

Old 2008-05-25, 01:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Dungoen Keeper, Evil Genius.
There are a few games.
Old 2008-05-25, 02:49
You what?!

Didn't play it but Goldeneye: Rogue Agent I believe you played a bad guy of sorts.
Old 2008-05-25, 12:25
Mathemagician

In the general case, Cultural Memory.

Certain cultures just prefer things that remind them of their past, even when they don't know much about it themselves. Many copmputer games and movies nowadays are designed according to what will seel in America. What sells in America is stuff that (subconciously) reminds them of their War Of Independance. Hence, the small plucky banmd of rebels fighting against the larger empire is a very popular plot in America (Made more popular when you fill the evil empire full of people with English accents...)

This basic formula, thanks to the proliferation of American movies and games, and their habit of being more comercial, has thus filtered down into other cultures, which is why non-Americans often end up using it as well.

The most obvious example of this formula, of course, is Star Wars. This is usually a subconcious thing- often the film makers and game designers don't realise they're doing it.

Ofcourse, I'm not convinced this is why it happens in LBA-, but LBA2 is a little closer to this (And does it simply bu giving Twinsen an American accent).
Old 2008-05-25, 13:49
Classic

nah, its far far older then that.
Lots of myths are about men going up against gods.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:54
LOLwut?

At least that had more symbolism. Most of the time were one and one fights (I'm thinking on David and Goliat)

The regular hero today could fight alone against thouzands of people.

Today is like the evil empire is composed by many people that are weak all alone.
And in the other hand the resistence is composed by 2 or 3 guys but very strong ones.
In fact the relationships were inverted.

The empire is a pile of ants. And the rebels are humans.

So the god-like now are the rebels. And the evil ones. Because they're the men with the real power

Interesting point of view, isn't it?

Old 2008-05-25, 17:13
Classic

Well, its certainly true that in most films/games the "evil" side has a near infinite pile of utterly worthless goons. 1 rebel can take out thousands of these things without breaking a sweet.
So the analogy to man vs god, is not so much on the individual scale, but one of the rebels as a unit, verse the "system" itself. (with its goons, but also its numbers, technology, and general oppression of the people under it).

Even when a medium portrays someone working for the govement, rather then a rebel, its still as an individual fighting against vaste numbers of 'goons'. Think James Bond.

This is also related too;
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tionOfNinjitsu

Allthough thats probably going off-topic a bit.
Old 2008-05-25, 17:41
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiB View Post
Ofcourse, I'm not convinced this is why it happens in LBA-, but LBA2 is a little closer to this (And does it simply bu giving Twinsen an American accent).
LBA is a French game. What the English translators did is their way - the German version doesn't have things like that as well.
Old 2008-05-25, 17:45
LOLwut?

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
LBA is a French game. What the English translators did is their way - the German version doesn't have things like that as well.
And the french version, I could dare to say the original one, sounds soooo french-y

I think they adapted the voices to fit the proper market. (That means US were a stronger one than the UK, a shame, I like british accent)

Old 2008-05-25, 17:47
Magic Ball Master

A much bigger potential market. But when looking at this forum, most are from the UK, and only few from North America in total.
Old 2008-05-25, 17:51
LOLwut?

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
A much bigger potential market. But when looking at this forum, most are from the UK, and only few from North America in total.
We're going off-topic but I hope Fred and the team realize that for the next big entry (LBA3).

I remember Fred Raynal saying on an interview that americans dislike games without explosions and games with weird guys(They think Twinsen is weird, very weird people )

IF you look at the Gamespot review of LBA2 you'll see that.
Instead of saying "great, creative character's design" they said "weird, maybe too cute by their own good".

Err that last line isn't a textual translation

Old 2008-05-25, 20:51
Classic

Id rather the voices stay the same for consistancy.
The english voices of LBA were fine imo.
Old 2008-05-25, 21:39
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Stay the same in what? LBA 3? Fat chance.
Old 2008-05-25, 21:57
LOLwut?

Quote:
Yeah I loved that voices (I was just fantasying around with the causes of it all)

Consistancy you say?

Even between LBA and LBA2 the voices aren't the same. What do you espect for a sequel more than 11 years later??

Well but there are some chances. Resident Evil 4(2004) character Leon S. Kennedy have a similar voice that the younger Leon from RE 2(1998).
But I don't know if it's the same actor Oh checked in the wiki. He's not the same guy. Great then!

Old 2008-05-25, 22:05
Magic Ball Master

LBA 1's voices sucked. The only memorable (and audible) one was that of the (German) spheroes. LBA 2's voices are way better, and it would be great if they would be in a possible LBA 3. I just don't think this is anywhere near being likely.
Old 2008-05-25, 22:30
Classic

The voice actors of LBA2 did many things, I dont see any reason why they couldnt be in a hypothetical third game.

Some voice actors have made relatively recent games.
For instance;
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...operId,118466/
Beyond Good and Evil.

One has recent been in the movie "Hitman" as well.

Peoples voices change over time, but they still stay closer to themselves then other people would.
Old 2008-05-25, 22:38
LOLwut?

Twinsen

Quote:
The voice actors of LBA2 did many things, I dont see any reason why they couldnt be in a hypothetical third game.

Some voice actors have made relatively recent games.
For instance;
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...operId,118466/
Beyond Good and Evil.

One has recent been in the movie "Hitman" as well.

Peoples voices change over time, but they still stay closer to themselves then other people would.
Great!!!

And that guy is the voice of...??
Twinsen???

He worked on Farenheit I didn't noticed that

Quote:
hypothetical third game.
After 17.000+ posts here and you said "Hypothetical"

Damn, I'm angry . Where's your faith?

Old 2008-05-26, 00:47
Classic

Its hypothetical untill its made, that dosnt mean it wont be made

And yes, the voiceactors have been in many supprising things.
Twinsen,Funfrock AND Zoe were all in Dark Earth, for instance. (playing the simerla roles too )
Old 2008-05-26, 02:01
Mathemagician

Quote:
nah, its far far older then that.
Lots of myths are about men going up against gods.
Thats much less 'rebels vs empires' though. You tend to find that myths about men going up against Gods tends to either be a result of Gods messing with men and men fighting back, or the men rebelling against the natural order of things (and thus being the pieces villain). Alternatively, the man does something with unknown consequences (Like Odyseus blinding the Cyclops, then finding the Cyclops dad is god of the sea, and then continuing his long sea voyage.) This is really an entirely different plot types than 'rebel vs empire' though.

As for the switch to more American voices in LBA2, yes that was a decision by the translation team in order to make the game more comercial. Why does having the more heroic characters having obviously American characters more comercial? Why do American accents mean so much in the American market (When having a 'home accent' means so much less everywhere else)?

I have to say though, I did prefer the voice acting in LBA1. The English voice acting never took it self to serisouly, and had the right amount of 'daft and dark' for my liking. Also, due to some characters speaking in accents that you don't find people normally using on Earth, Twinsun felt more like a different planet. If the Alien sound slike he's from the East end from London, then you don't believe for a second that he's really from the White Leaf Desert.
Old 2008-05-26, 02:15
Do the evolution.

You out of all people being in Scotland shouldn't be saying that "rebellion" came to the hearts of the Europeans from American movies... If there is a connection at all, it's where the Americans got their rebeliousness from! We here in europe have had uprisings against opressive forces when the "Americans" was a term one would only refer to the indians...

Last edited by Jasiek; 2008-05-26 at 03:19.
Old 2008-05-26, 14:13
Mathemagician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
You out of all people being in Scotland shouldn't be saying that "rebellion" came to the hearts of the Europeans from American movies... If there is a connection at all, it's where the Americans got their rebeliousness from! We here in europe have had uprisings against opressive forces when the "Americans" was a term one would only refer to the indians...
Good thing that isn't what I'm saying. I have never said that rebellion came to the hearts of the Europeans through American movies. Also, Jasiek, in Europe we were having great rebellions (and writing songs about them) long before Vespucci proved that Columbus' find wasn't India.

What I am saying is that rebellion based plots in fiction are popular, comercial and succesful due to how they interact with the American psyche. This is important because of how large the American market is. This is also, incidentally, a fact long accepted by many film anylysts and movie makers, and is considered to be one of the main reasons why Star Wars was so succesful (Along with it's optimistic tone in the political and movie climate of that time).