Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2008-07-08, 17:29
First time poster

LBA 1, is it really worth the effort ?

I have now started yet another time to complete LBA 2, and even though it's my what... 6-7th time i did the game, i can still get surprised by the outcome in some scenes, even though i know exactly where to go

However, the other day i thought.. Why havn't I played LBA 1.. I do have a copy of it, but for some reason i never stopped playing the second edition, and after having tried the first edition, i went straight back to the second again

So.. I tried the first again now, and i quickly understood why i didn't like it.. All you do is reload the game.. It took me like 10-12 tries to figure out that you should just beat the guards instead of trying to "pass by them" while wearing that white dress... It took me like 40 minutes to find my magicball, and along with the annoying save option, you have to live with the "hit walls" options, not to speak of the improved music in the 2nd edition, which you can take off in the win version but then.. that would be cheating.. I gave it some more time, and got the Island two and a bit mroe.. but i have to admit.. it doesn't have the charm of the second addition, am i right? Everything is hostile.. the game is very... 1 way directioned, and the way to complete this, is by either using a walkthrough or A TON of reloadings... Is it even worth completing is my question then... does the charm improve ? Is this anywhere near as good as the second game ? You guys tried it, now tell me :P
Old 2008-07-08, 17:53
Look beyond reality.

Most people who played LBA1 after LBA2 still prefer the latter.
I'm guessing it feels like 'less' then LBA2 because of the graphics, the difficulty, and the 'hostile' story like you already pointed out.

(And I agree with all of it because I'm one of those people.)
Old 2008-07-08, 18:08
Mathemagician

LBA1 is a much darker game. It is also much more difficult. I personally prefer LBA1, and play it more often than LBA2, but I did play LBA1 first. I suppose what the fact that people prefer the LBA game they played first really says is that the two are pretty equal in terms of quality, and what 'pips it' is the one that seemed to the individual to be 'new' when they played it first.

I'd say that LBA1 has a different kind of charm. But it is a much darker game. Far more so than in LBA2 you should be avoiding combat wherever possible.

However, if you're using LBAWIN you should be able to turn off the running into walls damage.
Old 2008-07-08, 19:37
formerly just angry

I love LBA1 - there are a lot of frustrating things about it but then it IS an old game. The ending is brilliant however, really worth the effort
Old 2008-07-08, 20:26
Still in a dream...

I think LBA1 is about 100 times better, darker and original than LBA2. Definately worth playing, absolutely fantastic piece of creativity.
Old 2008-07-08, 20:34
Previously Link

Well, I personally preferred LBA2 to LBA1 (played first, etc), and Pandy I'd say the exact opposite of what you said. But it's worth playing, it's still a LBA, and there are a bunch of things that have to been seen in it if you loved the 2nd.
Old 2008-07-08, 20:50
You what?!

Link, you can't possibly think LBA2 is darker?
The brighter colours alone make it feel much less serious.
Old 2008-07-08, 20:53
Previously Link

No I don't think so, well, not exact opposite of what Pandy said then, remove the word "darker".
Old 2008-07-08, 21:02
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
I think LBA1 is about 100 times better, darker and original than LBA2. Definately worth playing, absolutely fantastic piece of creativity.
Yeah, I agree. LBA pushes this whole great and new world in your face and gets away with it. I find the missions in LBA2 much more clear but it always seemed like a poor variation on LBA to me.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2008-07-08, 21:15
You what?!

LBA2 is simpler if you only do the required tasks, but it has little side tasks which I think make it good. LBA1 just requires you to do more in order to complete it. Admittedly it can be a little tiresome if you keep getting stuck at the same part, but surely that can be applied to any game? Just because LBA1 is a real game and not that easy to complete don't knock it!
Old 2008-07-08, 21:49
Father of Shoda

I, personally like LBA2 better but I must say that LBA1 is worth playing as well!

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-07-08, 21:49
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, LBA 2 sidequests like the protection spell and Volcano Island add much to the game.
Old 2008-07-08, 22:49
Zebrazilla

One wouldn't know anything until one would have given it a try.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-07-09, 01:18
Psychonaut

I just find the lack of "actual" saving in LBA1 very frustrating. I want to save wherever I want, whenever I want, and then return to the exact some spot when I load. That being said, both games are bloody brilliant and a must-play for any gamer.
Old 2008-07-09, 01:28
a big Mooo to you all :-)

Well, I obtained a CD of Relentless at the start of this year, about the end of Term 1, and I was excited and just kept on persisting in the game, and still am. I have played LBA2 though numerous ammounts of times, and I still havn't completed LBA1, maybe thats because there's no cheats, maybe because of the stupid way it saves your games. So I do say LBA2 is better, and yes it probably is brighter, and more interesting with going to new planets, meetin new species, that sorta thing, but I would like to complete LBA1, because it is cool when it's your first time and you don't know whats going to happen, even though i've been using a walkthrough.
The whole visiting different ilands thing in both LBA games is cool, but have you ever thought, LBA games constantly make you go back and forth from place to place, or island to island? Like in LBA2, at the start it's Desert Island and back to Citidel Island then back again to Desert Islnad and whoops we forgot something on Citidel Island. You know
Old 2008-07-09, 14:10
Still in a dream...

But thats why LBA1 is better - it's a challenge. No cheats, no save jump bug, no nothing. you play, progress the story, try again when you inevitably die. So many games I've played without dying once, and every time I play LBA I find myself dying somehow, be it a mistimed jump or a silly confrontation I've misjudged. The fact you have to go back and forth is good I think - you develop a bond with the places you visit rather than it being a case of "oh, go here... yeah whatever not coming back." also as you come back, new areas open and are explorable. biggest stitch up of LBA2 for me was the fact that you could only visit Desert Island and Citadel Island. So much potential, wasted, even if only the Southern Hemisphere...
Old 2008-07-09, 15:29
the hobbits to Otringal

Yes, frustrations are a good part of a game. I think a lot of games these days just give you a illusion you are playing a game. The game gets more like distraction and have nothing much to do with skill and connecting to a world anymore. Agreed, some puzzles in LBA1 are a bit idiotic (like finding the syrup, was to me) But challenge is a part that newer games seem to lack maybe cause they fear to lose the interest or moneys. Seems like everything needs to be predigested and puked out, like a bird feeding it's offsprings.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2008-07-09, 17:25
Still in a dream...

I loved the syrup quest thing. I mean, maybe the original location isn't too obvious (why would there be cherry flavoured syrup for changing the flavour of something in a Pharmacy? but when you hear the grobo (or is it rabbibunny?) moaning about it in the library, it's pretty obvious if you've visited the water tower what to do next. but yeah, I do agree with Odysseus
Old 2008-07-09, 19:50
You what?!

Yeah the syrup is indeed very obscure, but I think that's what I like about both the LBA games, there are plenty of quests that are not that obvious how to complete them.
Old 2008-07-09, 21:17
New efforts! :)

I played LBA2 first, and I instantly loved it (it was also my very first computer game), but now that I have played LBA1 I like it even more than LBA2. Yeah it took me 3 days to complete playing only some hours (No, I didn't play 7 hours per day :P). By the other hand, it took me more than a year to complete LBA2. But I still love them both (LBA1 more than LBA2 :P). And LBA1 is really more difficult than LBA2 but kick me if you want, I like more LBA1 graphics and atmosphere than LBA2.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2008-07-09, 22:00
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
But challenge is a part that newer games seem to lack maybe cause they fear to lose the interest or moneys. Seems like everything needs to be predigested and puked out, like a bird feeding it's offsprings.
I like that metaphor
Old 2008-07-10, 03:01
Twinsun Liberator

Send a message via MSN to Armageddon
hmm

ive never played lba1, but ive played lba2 and i still think though lba2 has better graphics, gameplay and clearer musics it still lacks the challenge that lba1 does like ive seen it looks easy but i asked over 200 people and they all say lba1 is impossible to beat. so i thought if i can play lba1 finish it and like it i should keep my mouth shut...

instead of blah blah jibber jabber that i hear from low lifes that play sims games and cant beat it...

(mostly 10 year olds...)

anyway reporters people (mostly adults) who never played lba1/2 and have just seen part of it they judge it automatically it just sickens me.
Old 2008-07-10, 16:03
You what?!

Well LBA1 isn't impossible, but you should play it first before you decide whether you like it or not.
Old 2008-07-10, 20:18
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Of course its worth playing.
Silly question.
Old 2008-07-10, 20:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lone warior View Post
hmm

ive never played lba1, but ive played lba2 and i still think though lba2 has better graphics, gameplay and clearer musics it still lacks the challenge that lba1 does like ive seen it looks easy but i asked over 200 people and they all say lba1 is impossible to beat. so i thought if i can play lba1 finish it and like it i should keep my mouth shut...
I want to see 200 (!) people who have played LBA 1 and that you have all individually (!) asked.
You shouldn't talk about gameplay when you haven't even played the game.

Yes it is worth playing.