Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2012-02-20, 23:41
Magic Level: Red Ball

Java

Hi,
I want ask if is there any program written in Java for LBA?
Old 2012-02-21, 15:45
Magic Level: Water Ball

I... don't know at all...
Old 2012-03-05, 10:19

Ok
What do u think about LBAJava remake?
Old 2012-03-05, 19:45
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. A. T. View Post
Ok
What do u think about LBAJava remake?
Please not. I suepect it would end up being even slower than Minecraft.
Old 2012-03-05, 21:28
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Please not. I suepect it would end up being even slower than Minecraft.
word.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:45

Battler u r alive;p
But minecraft is not slow.. it's only need some more memory;p
btw. and u talking about it? I remember some day when u wanna do LBA in VB;p
Old 2012-03-06, 22:02
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. A. T. View Post
Battler u r alive;p
But minecraft is not slow.. it's only need some more memory;p
btw. and u talking about it? I remember some day when u wanna do LBA in VB;p
No offense but VB 6 is fast than Java for one reason alone: it's native code while Java is managed code. .NET is managed too, hence why .NET is slow too. And yes, the memory usage is affected too.

Case in point, Minecraft for me barely reaches 50 fps, and when I open another instance of it, it barely reaches 30 fps. But when I ran Garry's Mod while running Minecraft at the same time, it was incredibly smooth, even with much more realistic graphics.
No offense but a game like Minecraft with cubic blocks with 16x16 textures shouldn't require a dual-core CPU to run just barely smooth enough.
Old 2012-03-07, 00:40

VB 6 is native?? so why It need 'vb6.dll' file (or sth. like that) to run it?
Old 2012-03-07, 08:15
Fruto di tutti frutti

Almost all Windows (windowed) programs written in C (and Delphi and anything) need comctl32.dll to work. Does that make them not native?

Native means: the program consists of instructions for the processor itself, no matter whether it uses libraries (dlls) or not (dlls only contain additional functions that are also native).
Managed means: the program consists of instructions for the interpreter (another program - native this time - that translates original instructions to processor instructions in real-time).
Old 2012-03-07, 08:54

Anyway, we went from this topic. Minecraft is a game where it's randomly rendering map and this world is gradually expanding (which need more and more memory).
Old 2012-03-07, 18:34

Battler,
Ok. U sad that minecraft is slow, maybe.. but for example Oracle Development Studio, or Aptana (Eclipse), and many others programs are fast and there are written in java
Old 2012-03-10, 01:07
Neko

I do not think language really matters as long as you get the job done.

Aren't most games still done in c++?
Old 2012-03-10, 03:44

.NET isn't as slow as people think, it's got a good JIT compiler. Here's a link that shows someone testing its execution speed versus native assembly: http://byteworm.com/2010/11/21/the-f...e-interpreter/
Old 2012-03-12, 09:37

@Cade: If i'm wrong, then tell me, but somebody told me, that .NET is a dead language (Microsoft doesn't support it anymore)

@Jesse: Yes, most of games are still in C++ (.NET) because it's faster but I wanna prove, that the game like LBA could be written in JAVA
Old 2012-03-13, 04:14

No one knows what microsoft's future plans are, but it's alive right now.

You could write a game like LBA in Java, but it has serious issues for modern game development (i.e. memory management).
Old 2012-03-13, 09:06

Cade we will see if my project will be slow, memory leaks or sth. else... for now I have only displaying text, grids, images (so I'm just starting my advneture with LBAJava Project):]
Old 2012-03-14, 17:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
In most case's the skills of the coder hugely swamp out the question of if the code is native or not.
It only really matters when you get beyond a certain skill level.
Old 2012-03-14, 22:36
Magic Level: Green Ball

Cross-platform compatible Languages like Java, RealBasic or Flash are all in lack of optimization and are big in size and slow, so you won't get any good results that way. Thats way games should run "natively".
Old 2012-03-15, 17:53
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
But a lot of Java compilers do have optimization systems. Its not enough to make them the same speed, but in some platforms (like Android) or for specific tasks Java can be much closer to native code these days.
In some case the very way Java is typed, and what it allows and doesn't, allows for some optimizations not possible under C++. I believe escape analysis for multi-threading works a lot better in Java and might even be impossible in C++ (?).

Not that this makes any difference, it still really is down to the individual. Its likely if your doing anything remotely big or complex its your own code that will have the most effect regardless of what your using. That is, its almost certain you arnt doing things in the most optimal way. (unless maybe your a demoscene coder...)

Java thus has the advantage of letting you code one (ish) for multiple platforms and thus spend more time on your own optimisations to your logic.
Most developers have a finite time, so if your developing for more then one platform anyway, you could well end up with better performance for the same time spent on it simply due to this fact.

We musn't forget theres all sorts of weirdness too.
I code a lot using Google Web Kit, which cross-compiles Java written code to Javascript.
Javascript is never going to be as fast as good native code, of course, but youd actually be hard pressed to write better javascript by hand then GWT does. The predictions it can make with its compiler really do some impressive optimizations.

Also, lets not forget, VirtualMachines and real time interpretation has made some great stuff:

http://fabiensanglard.net/anotherWor...view/index.php

Quote:
I spent two weeks reading and reverse engineering further the source code of Another World ("Out Of This World" in North America). I based my work on Gregory Montoir's "binary to C++" initial reverse engineering from the DOS executable.

I was amazed to discover an elegant system based on a virtual machine interpreting bytecode in realtime and generating fullscreen vectorial cinematic in order to produce one of the best game of all time.
ok, not java, but bloody cool for the time.
Old 2012-03-16, 10:36

Well.. After reading that Frederick is making a mobile version (on android too) I think JAVA it's not so bad idea

Some offtopic question:
Does anyone has a FLA file specification?