Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-12-12, 01:04
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
yes, I was also wrong about 3D computer screens being common to buy by now.
The technology works great, and Sharp sales them.
But after 2 years I expected it to be cheaper and more spread, it isnt

The singularity will happen for sure though, because it is happening now.
Technology is leaping forward at amazing rates.
A good chuck of the human population now has near-instant access to practicaly all of mankinds knowledge. Answeres we seek are but a google away...we can communicate with people thousands of miles away instantly, as well as calculate things that would have taken a lifetime in a few seconds.

Of this stuff isnt just usefull in itself, but it increase the rate at which more usefull things are being developed or discovered.
Basicaly, Our technology is making technology easier and faster to make
Old 2006-12-12, 01:14
!!!!!

You're right completely.
10 years ago we had sci-fi, where a man enters a giant room with a big giant brain inside that has "all the information in the world", you could ask him anything at all, and you would get the answer! Wow, I wish I had a chance to talk to the brain.
...Wait, I have Google.

Darkflame, can you please define "singularity"? Because I didn't get it entirely. Does it mean that we will get to a point of advancement where we just step over that thin line of "the world as we know it" in almost an instant?
Old 2006-12-12, 01:23
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its not the best description, its kinda the buzz word developed.

If you imagine a curve on a graph, which has an ever-increasing gradient till its just a vertical line.
The singularity is that line
Discontinuity would perhaps be a better description.

But yes, its a point in, hopefully our lifetimes, where technology exceeds the ability for us to predict or even rationally comprehend what we could do tomorrow.
Old 2006-12-12, 01:44
!!!!!

But, we could always do more... I mean, I could comprehend lots of stuff I still can't see coming.
I want a teleporter, I want wings, I want to transform my consciousness into pure energy and get rid of my human body.
I want a device that can transform any element of nature into a golden super intelligent robot!

Edit: Oh, you said "rationally"
Old 2006-12-12, 01:52
!!!!!

Well, still.
How about really, a device that transform oxygen into gold? It's rational imo, just modify the atoms and stuff a little, will that happen anytime soon? (obviously gold will lose it's value then, but you get the idea)
I don't think we're going to reach our level of predictable comprehendness anytime soon.
Old 2006-12-12, 01:59
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Well, still.
How about really, a device that transform oxygen into gold? It's rational imo, just modify the atoms and stuff a little, will that happen anytime soon?
Think thats nanotechnology. They did some molecular/atom-altering/creating in that sence a while ago, I belief.
But how does this all relate to the threads topic?

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2006-12-12, 02:03
!!!!!

Someone should split this I think

Ok, yeah that was a bad example... but there are plenty of stuff we rationally know is possible, are you saying we will just achieve ALL of them anytime soon?
Old 2006-12-12, 02:42
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Someone should split this I think

Ok, yeah that was a bad example... but there are plenty of stuff we rationally know is possible, are you saying we will just achieve ALL of them anytime soon?
I don't know. I hope if we do, people don't screw up the world faster.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2006-12-12, 04:03
Classic

Choas ~ you miss understond what I said.

By "rationaly predict" I mean *what the human mind is able to predict*, ie, our own imagintions will be the limit or our predictions, not the technology.
Technology would get to the point where it would be utterly impossible for a human to predict what tommorow would bring.

(Incidently, Diamonds will lose value faster then gold imo.
Gold still isnt that common in easy extractable form.
Diamonds we have a irrational stockpile and a massive price-fix about.)

Quote:
Not exactly.
Its not that all possibilitys become true, its more that all possibilitys become possible in an increaseingly short time.
If I tried to make the "oxygen to gold" machine now, it would take a huge amount of time, money and research...as well as probably insanely big machines to rearrange things on a sub-atomic scale.

However, If I tried the same thing in 50 years time? It would be easier.
And a 100 years time, much easier.
And 125 years time, stupidly easy.
And 130 years time..no effort whatsoever.
(dates just picked at random )

The point of the singularity is that the ability to invent stuff gets easier.

The connection to LBA3 is actualy quite strong, as we approach the singularity something as "easy" as making a game will get cheaper,faster and easier.
The line between creative imaginetion and actual product will get thinner and thiner untill LBA3 exists
Old 2006-12-12, 05:33
!!!!!

Ok, I think I understand now. So "singularity" means we get a lightspeed hoverboard that takes us further up the mountain of technology! w00 I'm bad with metaphors
Old 2006-12-12, 08:13
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

so I guess the mail is gone then?

I'm having problem accepting anything such as simple as the singularity you're predicting and talking about. Nonetheless if it will exist I don't think games have to get easier to make.., it could easily happen to be just as hard when we reach the singularity.
Old 2006-12-12, 10:53
Trippin Alien

limE:
Theres no way of direct email contact anymore with Fred, his fan email address is no longer providing responses. (little.big.adventure at wandaroo . eff arrr ) The only contact means we have now is Axx, a member who passes by occasionally, he has his work email address and phone number, know where he lives and has seen his penis (ok, not the last one)

Without intention to sound rude: Could we keep this thread on topic before a mod closes it, although there probably wont be many emails in the near future, it would be good to keep them all tied together.
Old 2006-12-12, 11:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzn View Post
limE:
Theres no way of direct email contact anymore with Fred, his fan email address is no longer providing responses. (little.big.adventure at wandaroo . eff arrr ) The only contact means we have now is Axx, a member who passes by occasionally, he has his work email address and phone number, know where he lives and has seen his penis (ok, not the last one)

Without intention to sound rude: Could we keep this thread on topic before a mod closes it, although there probably wont be many emails in the near future, it would be good to keep them all tied together.
Thats not true. He still replies when he get a little time. Don't forget he's a busy man and can't reply to all emails he get, so he make some choices.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2006-12-12, 12:13

ok thanks for the response, well it's really nice of him to even respond at all

looking forward to hear more of this new project that they've started working on.
Old 2006-12-12, 17:47
Classic

Quote:
I'm having problem accepting anything such as simple as the singularity you're predicting and talking about. Nonetheless if it will exist I don't think games have to get easier to make.., it could easily happen to be just as hard when we reach the singularity.
Not at all.
Games have already got increaseingly easy to make, its just that standards and graphics have pushed up demands far faster then we can see it.

eg.
When Fred created Alone In the Dark, he had to make all the 3D tools himself, from scratch. Not just design the landscapes, but also he had to code the 3D routines to project shapes onto the screen.

Now days there is pre-made 3D modeling software (Max, Maya), and real-time 3D API's to do the projection work for you. (DirectX, OpenGL).
Making Alone in the Dark these days would be a piece-of-piss by comparison.

As technology progress's it becomes far easier to convert our imagination into an end product.
The problem is currently, the publishers demand increaseing detailed, realistic graphics as thats what the most common gameplayer demands. This takes huge manpower, dispite the tools we now have.
Old 2006-12-12, 17:57
!!!!!

I just got an email with a PowerPoint presentation from my grandfather, it describes the world and possibilities they had like it was 'back then'.
EVEN if the world won't move forward any faster than it did in the past 30 years, which it will, we will still have an almost automatic all-game making tools in no time.
Old 2006-12-14, 21:22

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Do i have to have this arguement in yet anopther Thread. Of course LBA 3 will happen. Axx has told us it will and he knows cos he has met and spoken with Fred Raynal. (Who also has promised that LBA 3 will be made.)
LBAwill never ever ever rest in peace.
I can't remember anyone PROMISING that LBA3 WILL be made. Even if Fred wants/wanted it to happen, it takes a lot of money and a lot of people to create a proper game.

Plus don't you think it's weird in all this time we've NEVER had ANYTHING concrete about LBA3, despite LOTS of PROMISED info by Axx?

And to be honest, I'd rather remember LBA 1 & 2 for the great game they were, than seeing a bad LBA 3. For me it's either a great, world-released game, or nothing - if LBA 3 is to be released as a freeware or a little game made by 5 people with poor graphics, gameplay and story, I'rd rather LBA to rest in peace...
PS: words in CAPS doesn't mean I yell, I just love CAPS
Old 2006-12-14, 23:22
LBA 3 r we the waiting!

Right thats it.
Im moody now!!!!
1. Axx said we have a date for LBA3
2. in the big fred interview he promised us it would be made

If you wanna argue some more go to the LBA3 hope is coming thread
Old 2006-12-15, 14:23
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapichon View Post
For me it's either a great, world-released game, or nothing - if LBA 3 is to be released as a freeware or a little game made by 5 people with poor graphics, gameplay and story, I'rd rather LBA to rest in peace...
You've got a bloody problem with fan projects? I take a bit of offense at this remark, after all, the Prequel is going to kick ass.
Old 2006-12-15, 14:27
Classic

LBA1 and 2 has poor graphics and sound by todays standards, but Id be perfectly happy still to have a sequal based on that.

Game length, varience, and attention to detail is far more important to me.
Old 2006-12-15, 14:32
!!!!!

I won't be perfectly happy if they release LBA3 in 1997's graphics standards, tbh. I'll be quite disappointed.
Old 2006-12-15, 14:57
Classic

Aww, well, you demoed nicely why we arnt getting LBA3.
If people didnt constantly expect evolving graphics in games, LBA1 or 2 could be made today fairly easily with 5 or so people. (excludeing voice acting ect)

The technology is making it easyer, but the standards we demand are making it harder.
Old 2006-12-15, 15:13
Magic Ball Master

Like DF, I wouldn't mind if it had to be LBA 2 graphics standards, but it would certainly bother me. Furthermore, it would have to have an extremely long and developed storyline and excellent gameplay to compensate.
Old 2006-12-15, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
You've got a bloody problem with fan projects? I take a bit of offense at this remark, after all, the Prequel is going to kick ass.
No, I think fan projects are great and I welcome them. But if there was to be an official release of a new LBA game, I'd expect a lot more from it than from a fan-created game. And if it turns out to be a rubbish story with Twinsen's son being a silly teenager, it could ruin the series' image because it will be official.

But if you have a fan-made game that's rubbish, you can just disregard it. And if you have a fan-made game that's great, you can just enjoy it and consider it a great addition. After all with a good story you can do a lot. Graphics and gameplay are important too, but the plot and length of the game is the main thing...
Old 2006-12-15, 19:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapichon View Post
But if there was to be an official release of a new LBA game, I'd expect a lot more from it than from a fan-created game. And if it turns out to be a rubbish story with Twinsen's son being a silly teenager, it could ruin the series' image because it will be official.
Firstly, if Fred makes the game, I highly doubt it would be comparable to a "fan-created game," as he's a professional with many tools of the industry at his disposal.

Secondly, why are you so down on Arthur? You're so high on storylines, yet you seem to refuse to even give one featuring Twinsen's son a chance, even though we have no real idea of the plot or how it will work.

Furthermore, the series' image is pretty much limited to those of us here. Most don't remember/care about the LBA series now 10+ years later. So to most, any new sequel will probably be their first experience with the series.