Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-04-20, 03:47
Gee, it's been a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Cant really shut down any P2P thing easily.

You can shut down severs (or websites with torrent links).
You can shut down the suppliers of the P2P software.
But if its out and going its pretty hard to stop.

ISP's can often detect some P2P type traffic and some slow it grossly down. However, it isn't too hard for software to disguise itself as web traffic, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more p2p software doing this.
Combined with more anonymity for its users.

http://freenetproject.org/
Yes, I was thinking of DPA/DPI, which is currently start to gain more and more popularity among ISPs, especially in the US. Although, I never said they could shut it down, just said they were trying to.
Old 2006-04-20, 03:58
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Yes, I dissagree strongly with their copyright views though.
And their Fairshare idea seems complete madness for typical perchase's. (if I want to buy 1 single tv show,or a bit of software, or music Id buy shares in the creators?
As for volentary donation, sure, many would pay...but why should the ones that do pay, be paying for the ones that dont? It might work for one artist makeing one single...but not for a team of people on a project that could take months or years)

Their arguments against copyright seem to be "it cant be done with a freenet, therefor we are against it"

I agree with everything else they say though.
I think what they were trying to say is that there is a greater purpose, and losing the solution copyrights have presented is a small price to pay.
They don't pretend to have a solution to the problem, they just say they think it's not something unsolvable.
Old 2006-04-20, 04:19
Trippin Alien

Quote:
Freenet can transparently operate through firewalls
Freenet now operates over UDP rather than TCP
Operates transparently through a firewall? This sounds like it simulates distribution as TCP data through a port that is open for other reasons

Quote:
Communications by Freenet nodes are encrypted and are "routed-through" other nodes to make it extremely difficult to determine who is requesting the information and what its content is.
Umm, this means, it sends my data to ChaosFish, and then ChaosFish sends this data to intended recipitant, Darkflame, and DarkFlame can only tell it came from ChaosFish, not me. Well, that makes sense as a privacy sensor, but, for those who pay for their bandwidth, it means ChaosFish is a poor middleman who receives this data, which is not needed for him, and has to download this data to a Darkflame as well. Thats just the law of the system, he has his own upload/download on top of that. The price to pay for privacy.
Old 2006-04-20, 04:36
!!!!!

The thing is, it may be a small price to pay.
Old 2006-09-29, 05:59
Je rêvais d'un autremonde

Hey people. I've always been looking for the best p2p software and haven't found anything yet that satisfies me.

I mean, Limewire is very very fast but has a limited files network. Only good for songs.. and even then, you won't find any full album.
And eMule has a big and vast network but it is so bulky and slow.

So, I wanna ask two things:

1 - ( http://xtreme-mod.net/direct_download_mod.htm ) Is this mod for emule safe/good?

2 - ( http://www.lphant.com/ ) is this soft good? it says it uses eMule network... but is it faster and safe/good?
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2006-09-29, 15:32
the hobbits to Otringal

I don't know about these kind of things. I sometimes find myself using SoulSeek, hardly ever really.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2006-09-29, 15:43
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
used to use ares, its pretty good as a replacement for limewire etc. also used newsgroups but only using bittorrent now
Old 2006-10-04, 14:10
Zebrazilla

I'm a pirate.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2006-10-04, 14:16
Magic Ball Master

uTorrent for me is the best program. Very simple, tiny, and don't take any memory from your pc. You should try, really.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2006-10-04, 18:37
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
uTorrent for me is the best program. Very simple, tiny, and don't take any memory from your pc. You should try, really.
it took a whole 5000k for me. You can't say that's not any.
Old 2006-10-04, 21:15
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
I agree, uTorrent is great, especially in combination with ratio-based trackers like ScT. And larger(and slower) trackers like TPB and Mininova if i cant find what im looking for.