Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-11-11, 11:20
Trippin Alien

Question Help!! Webhosting gurus come here

Im a newbie when it comes to registering a domain and setting up a website. I got some questions.

When registering a domain, what do you have to watch out for? (ie. can you loose your rights to the domain if you buy it through a third party website in connection with webhosting)???

I want to start my own domain for my software business, have some space that I can upload files/folders via FTP, be able to add/configure/delete email addresses. Initially it wont by dynamic, however, down the track I may want to add a support forum (what is it that supports this? php support/mysql???) Can anyone recommend anyone or know where the best place to look for this?

I also want register some other domains, but have them point to another location (ie. a IP address or URL), I believe this is called URL redirection. Does anyone again recommend anyone in this regard?

This is probably a good starting point.
Old 2006-11-11, 12:14
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
www.ipower.com is where i bought www.a2142.com and www.axek.org ; I changed the nameservers to free hosts
Old 2006-11-11, 15:56
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
If there is a thread here lets try my question -
I'm trying to configure Apache to work with PHP, I followed the instructions and nada...(running the apache on my computer, localhost style, and it runs the initial website but if i add to the webspace more files it can't reach them..)
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2006-11-12, 23:04
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I bought my domain from sitook.com (send a mail to [email address] , for some weird reason there this address is no more on the site )
Very cheap prices, friendly personal, a good number of offers, and free email address. [/spambot]
Old 2006-11-13, 22:16
Magic Ball Master

First you should check if the domain names are available by searching it in any domain provider.

Another thing, is that I really recommend a linux server instead of windows server. You have many things for linux and also too much help in this matter. Also the foruns will work in it since the free ones are compatible for linux servers.

You have here different kind of redirections. a simple url redirect where it only will follow a link and the domain name will be changed for the current one; or you can make parked domains under your server panel which will create all the folders and content you need to use different domain names pointing to another folder of you server space, its a new account under the same space. I will recommend this second option.

Let me know if I wasn't clear in something

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2006-11-14, 01:36
Trippin Alien

Quote:
You have here different kind of redirections. a simple url redirect where it only will follow a link and the domain name will be changed for the current one; or you can make parked domains under your server panel which will create all the folders and content you need to use different domain names pointing to another folder of you server space, its a new account under the same space. I will recommend this second option.
Thanks Alexfont for the details, however, Im not 100% on this yet.

I would like to have [mycompany.com] and have [myproduct1.com] and [myproduct2.com] which redirect to mycompany.com/product1 and mycompany.com/product2 respectively. I would like to be able to use the product domain names for email also if possible, and also if possible, retain the myproduct url in the browser.

I've done some wikipedia research, and found URL redirection is done either by the response code sent back in the header, by a meta tag or a cloak method which redirects the site inside a frame. I understand this, but Im still not understanding how to do what I want with a webhost provider.

You mention parked domains, Im not understanding what this is or how this works. I went to www.ipower.com as posted by Dan, and they offer domain pointing, which they say points to a folder and has the appearance of a seperate domain.

Also, do I need to be concerned if I buy my domain with the host provider, what can I do to protect the name from being stolen or purchased by them or someone else once I purchase it?