Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-12-06, 17:05
Trippin Alien

Climate Change

Ok, this has been a topic of discussion in the media for the last year or so.

So, what have you really noticed?

Me, I live in Australia, or more specifically, The Eastern North Coast of Australia (Queensland). Typically, we are known as the Sunshine State, because of our scortching hot summers, beach atmosphere and blink of an eye thunderstorms. We have the highest rate of skin caner anywhere in the world primarily because of the quantity of uv rays ommitted due to abovementioned explanation.

This summer has been quite un-usual compared to any previous summer, Now being December, normally the hottest temp is usually 40 degress Celcius, whereas its been a Cool 26 Degrees most days, theres been Snow in lower parts of Australia in November which never experienced before at this time, normally the latest would of been August to experience snow at this end of season.

Its been a comfortable summer for me, compared to previous years, which is great, but its somehow nerve racking that its such a dramatic difference to what Ive experienced in my previous years on earth, tell me what your normaly time of year is like and how you are experiencing it.
Old 2006-12-06, 17:11
Magic Ball Master

It's getting winter here now.
There has been snow on Christmas, but a "white Christmas" is getting more unrealistic. There's still snow in January, and this year (last winter), we had loads of loads of snow the whole time from January till Easter.

The winters get more cold, the summers more hot. It's getting more extreme.
Old 2006-12-06, 17:11
!!!!!

Where did they talk about that in the media? I didn't follow for a while

Hmm, I guess the climate here sucks as ever. If there's a rain once in a week it's so unusual and joyful. And it's supposed to be winter
Old 2006-12-06, 17:14
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Didn't they say in the news yesterday the rain will be back today? I think there were only 2 or 3 raining days where I live this winter (which is a good thing if you ask me).
Old 2006-12-06, 17:20
the hobbits to Otringal

In the Netherlands we break warmth records every year now. "Driest" and "wettest" records also btw.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2006-12-06, 17:49
Master of Science & Magic

Climates will always change, it always has.
Nature can cope with it. Humans can't, we've restricted ourselves a lot (with "perminent" housing and infrastructure).
So it's not really an environmental issue, it's a living arrangement issue.
Old 2006-12-06, 17:49
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
I think we really need a scientific article here, or even better, a real scientist. As the all the stuff happening is because of several parameters. which not many "normal" persons actually know about.

For me personally: I think I'm experiencing less snow nowadays, I'm not sure however.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2006-12-06, 17:53
Do the evolution.

Heh, well I had the msot beatifull autumn I have ever seen it was really warm with this pretty nice fuzzy warm wind, eveything looked beatifull, it's still ver warm, and thank the heavens no snow yet.

And yes, the climate is changing, wich is quite normal, this is an "interglacial" period, wich means we are leaving between ice ages, so the climate on earth will be more tropical, it has always happened and will always happen, it's kinda late too, it's overdue a few thousand years now...

If I hear anything abouth this being coused by man, I'll get irritated...
The ozone hole is a periodical phenomenon coused by the sun's uv radiation, please note that it only occurs on the polar regions, where there is a "tunnel" in earths protective magnetic field, and there are even part's of the year with no Ozone hole at all! Smog, car exhaust fumes and all the artificial gas production on earth is only 1% of the whole gas production, a mere volcano produces in a month, more "greenhouse gasses" then the whole human civilization does in a year.

Anyway, it hasen't even rained here yet, we had two days of snow about a month ago, and today it looked like spring is coming, the air smells of spring, it was nice and warm, a very nice day indeed, there where a few foggy days too, and that fog was amazing! Thick and sort of oniric .

Oh, yeah and the summer was a bi**h last year So damn hot .
Old 2006-12-06, 17:58
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
There has also been reports a month ago that the gulf stream has halted for a week and could result a definite climate change in scandinavia and all around. There have been also recent reports that the snow weather is getting dramatically thinner here, which could cease Vasaloppet (the great ski-racing in Sweden) to last without snow. It is estimated that it might happen so in about 16 years.

I've feared that the weather is getting worse due to the greenhouse effect. Carbon-based fuel, like oil and petrol, are good resources for our transports, but it's been used for too long that it's pollution has changed the nature. At least I'm happy that there are limits with oil; because when there is oil crisis the people and companies will invest more on natural and climate-friendly fuel like Ethanol and biogas.

Support the fuel of the future and future of the nature!
Old 2006-12-06, 17:58

actually... humans have been responsible for a lot of it. but humans also suffer the most from it.

The ozone hole isn't even the problem. They used to think that because it was one of the few things they could analyze at that time. But in the past 30 years more information could be gathered.
Remember it takes years before research results becomes common knowledge.

(I hate to say this) but you should watch Al Gore's presentation\movie. It goes a good job explaining the issue to dumb fucks... erm... the average human being.
The stuff in that presentation isn't actually new, but it's more or less new to the "world".
Old 2006-12-06, 18:00
!!!!!

The summer in Poland does sound realllly nice.
Living here however I despise summer, I wish it was raining here everyday like in Holland. Summer is boring, and dry, hot, too much light, filled with bugs, and depressing. I wouldn't mind having a little The Day After Tomorrow right now.
Old 2006-12-06, 18:03
Do the evolution.

The oil is not running out... It's a common misconception spread by the media(or at least it's not running out as fast as you can), the oil at it's current pirce for a barrel is running out, wich means, that the more a barrel costs, the more oil we have yet left to use in this price range, couse it is deeper and harder to excavate, every year they find more and more oil everywhere, the whole amount of oil everywhere in the world is for about 200 years or so, and personally I don't think it's good, couse the sooner it can't be used massivly, the closer we are to electric vehicles, oxygen powered engines, and cold fusion.
Old 2006-12-06, 18:03

The thing I hate the most are the retards that wouldn't mind a 5 degrees increase in temperature here in .nl
There are to many idiots that like 20+ temperatures, I prefer tempratures between -5 and 20 (-5 in the winter when I have to go outside, so -15 is ok when I can stay inside).

(degrees celcius ofcourse)
Old 2006-12-06, 18:07
!!!!!

I'm moving to .nl...
Old 2006-12-06, 18:17
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Well. England weather always sucks. Too hot in the summer (although others don't seem to think so O_o), and way too rainy in winter (we want snow!!!!!!).
Old 2006-12-06, 18:30
Magic Ball Master

Many people don't see the problem of a raising of temperature up 5 degrees. When it's because you power your heater more, it doesn't seem much. But when it's the average temperature that means a lot.
Old 2006-12-06, 18:31
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2552 View Post
Well. England weather always sucks. Too hot in the summer (although others don't seem to think so O_o), and way too rainy in winter (we want snow!!!!!!).
You have got to be kidding me...
Snow is crappy... it gets everywhere, they nedd to cover the sidewalks with sand and salt to keep yuo from braking every little bone in your body and then you bring the shitty stuff to your home. Cars stuck in it, it's dangerous on the roads, there's huge traffic jams and so as the cars stand in them the whole "nice" looking white puffy snow turns gray...

My favourite temp. in wich I could spend all my life is about 24c with a pleasant warm wind, suprisingly that's how spring here lately looks like, so with a hot and sunny and beatifull autumn they became my two favourite times of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Many people don't see the problem of a raising of temperature up 5 degrees. When it's because you power your heater more, it doesn't seem much. But when it's the average temperature that means a lot.
Ever wandered where the name "Greeland" came from? It was vastely occupied by many northern tribes, and the temp back then was higher about 4-5c on average, did anything bad happen? No...

Last edited by Jasiek; 2006-12-06 at 18:42.
Old 2006-12-06, 19:00
Magic Ball Master

The hot summers have nothing to do with global warming.
Old 2006-12-06, 19:22
Do the evolution.

Oh, but Greenland being green had everything to do with it! It wasn't just a few years of hot weather, and at thie times of the roman empire the temperature was also higher than today (wich shows you right in your face that humans have nothing to do with it...)

Anyway, modern ecologists are, unfortunately, and mostly no good lazy bones, that want to protest everything without presenting a good subtitute sollution. Most of the big "green" organizations are now political parties, wich, like any other political group want only control over the industry and of course power and money, I even remember that the man who created Greenpeace, left it quite recently, saying it has become corrupt and does not care about the environment any more.

It still is a fact, that humans can't do anything to the planet on a global scale, acid rains, smog, various fumes are only local effects. To destroy the world we whould have to use a lot of h-bombs:
The total surface of the earths land mass has 148 130 000 square km.
The biggest h-bomb ever created was a russian 60 megaton monster that, destroyed everyhting in the radius of 20 km, and burned the ground in the radius of 500 km wich gives you a surface of 785 000 sq. km per device, and to cover the whole terrain you would need roughly 200 devices like that, plus the water mass that would spray the effects on a much larger distance(and thus dissapating the local effects). Funny thing is that many nuclear tests indicated, that the earth can cope very good with disposing of the radioactivity, and animals and nature are quick to adapt, life is not a fregile as we thought.

Anyway, it IS possible for us to roughly wipe out most of the life on earth, but it would require a big effort from us, placing the nuclear devices in a specially devised grid, and the whole civilization would have to contribute to that and I don;t think that's really possible.

If anyone thinks, that if we let some gas to go into the atmosphere, wich is very roughly about 1% of all the gas created on earth we can "kill the planet" or even sway the climate in some way, he is at the least being naive.
Old 2006-12-06, 21:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
the temperature was also higher than today (wich shows you right in your face that humans have nothing to do with it...)
Thats amazingly poor logic, you know.
It was colder in the ice age then in my fridge, so that proves humans have nothing to do with my fridge !

Also, even if you were correct about the rest, 1% *is enough to sway the planet* . Certainly to the effect of humans.
Theres many threshold climets the world flicks between.

Idea that the worlds scientists are all profiting from saying global warming exists is crazy. There is far far far more money in the status-quo then there is in "green policys", and yet still the vaste majority of scientists, researchers all point to the world getting too warm too fast for us humans.
How much, and the precise causes are debated, sure.
But the fact its happening is simply a truth.
This isnt greenpiece,(they hardly do anything worthwhile scientificaly anyway.)
This is a worldwide, strong, agreement between just about every group that looks into it. Its about the strongest scientific concessus you can get.
We can argue over the reasons, but it makes little difference.

The fact that, basicaly, we are completely converting the worlds oil....the worlds storage of carbon from plants and animals died millions of years ago.....into gas's is certainly if not the cause, then it sure as hell isnt helping.

Heck, we might not just have to reverse our own warming, we might have to work out how to reverse the natural warming as well. What happens naturaly dosnt nesscerly mean its good for us.
=

That said, you are absolutely right about nukes.
No war with them could ever even whipe out humans, let alone all species, let alone the planet.
Even humans are better at survivng radiation then first thought.
Old 2006-12-06, 21:43
Sheepie for short

Well, autumn and winter seem to be starting later and later. We seem to be having a lot of record temperatures/periods of wetness/etc. Summer has stretched so long it seems to have split in the middle and created a really wet and fairly cold August, surrounded by hot Septembers and Julys.

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2006-12-07, 00:22
Magic Ball Master

Al Gore - my dick is turning into a popsicle.

Now come tell me the world is getting warmer.
Old 2006-12-07, 05:11
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Well, it was raining here last evening... for 5 whole minutes.
Old 2006-12-07, 05:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Global Warming is a very badly picked name.
The effects on the climet are anything but easily predictable increase in temperature.
Old 2006-12-07, 08:02

I don't global warming is a badly picked name. Since the rise in global average temperature is the cause of a lot of bad shit happening. Just like a general increase of the average temperature in your body. When your body temperature exceed 41 degrees celcius you're dead.
Since global warming is about the average temperature increase it means that at some places it might not increase but at others it might increase 10 degrees.
A lot of nature depends on the exchange of warmth. You should look at it as an electrical connection. If the difference is larger there is more energy and the light will burn brighter. Translate that to nature, a higher difference can result in strong storms.