Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2012-01-07, 00:00
Magic Level: Green Ball

Control system - Remake

Do we really want them to change the controls?

My answer is no, not in a million years. Think about it, all we need is more carefully put story, better graphics, music & voice overhall and nothing else.
Controls, plot, most of story (like 80-90%) should be preserved, though.
What do you think?
Old 2012-01-07, 06:24
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via MSN to metal-matt
yeah, if you're talking about lba, keep the controls (other than ios versions i think they're making :P) but some gameplay could be improved..
like the running into walls that was fixed on lba2 :P

other things like voice acting (always found that lba one sounded a little amature but lba2 was great,
and maybe some things to help out the flow of gameplay/make it a little easyer for firsttimers, like a ingame diary or such, that you can read to see who you've talked to, and where you should maybe go.
and the save system is wack in lba.. :s

aside from graphics that is.

also hope it will be downloadable on pc too, honastly i dont think lba games (the way they are) would work tooo well on ios, and might work better on xbox/play station (aswell as pc).
Old 2012-01-07, 11:27
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I want the controls roughly the same, but we need analogue movement now, imho. Its just more fluid.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:35
Magic Ball Master

^ What DF said. I know I'm in the minority, but I also want them to ditch the isometric view as well if it is indeed a full-on remake. At the very least, go the TO route and give us a full 360 degrees rotation of the camera.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:42
!!!!!

Yes, if they completely change the controls it wouldn't be LBA.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:49
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Yes, if they completely change the controls it wouldn't be LBA.
I wouldn't say that. If it's a re-make with just graphical buffs, I'll be disappointed. I want a full reboot with modern graphics and a modern engine.
Old 2012-01-07, 17:05
Magic Level: Purple Ball

but if they change the controlls to full 3d on outside world, i hope they make it look like LBA 1 and dont change the measurements of the area. I have seen that happen in some remakes so that the space is smaller or too big compared to the original. For example the citadel island's small bridge above the gateway to the harbor, its way more smaller in LBA 2 combared LBA 1, so i hope they keep the measurements the same.
Old 2012-01-07, 18:00
Magic Ball Master

The system should only be changed if we actually have different controls than the keyboard.
If using a keyboard I will let the exact some system, but if we get other controls like GamePad or Touch controllers, than they need to work on it.

They use the anolog stick on PS1 version but they stick with the same system, and it doesn't feet that kind of control. For me who played a lot of times on keyboard its not a problem, but I can see a lot of people take some time get use to it.

They will for sure try more recent approaches.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2012-01-07, 19:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timse95 View Post
but if they change the controlls to full 3d on outside world, i hope they make it look like LBA 1 and dont change the measurements of the area. I have seen that happen in some remakes so that the space is smaller or too big compared to the original. For example the citadel island's small bridge above the gateway to the harbor, its way more smaller in LBA 2 combared LBA 1, so i hope they keep the measurements the same.
Right, I mean I don't necessarily want the story to change. Maybe re-envision in it the new engine, but theoretically it shouldn't be radically different.
Old 2012-01-07, 21:04
Magic Level: Purple Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Right, I mean I don't necessarily want the story to change. Maybe re-envision in it the new engine, but theoretically it shouldn't be radically different.
oh, I should have had mentioned that I just got that idea of mine to my comment from your comment. sry for the missunderstanding.
Old 2012-01-17, 11:43
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sief3792 View Post
Either smart spam or retarted user.

Old 2012-01-17, 13:24
Magic Level: Water Ball

Speaking of himself
Old 2012-01-22, 20:41
<3 MP

Would be nice if the "world" itself was bigger, enabling you to explore more and not get dead ended within the few seconds it takes to walk from one side of any particular island to the other.
Not sure about you all but i thought the controls in lba2 far surpassed those of lba1. Especially the ability to talk to different chars while in all 4 behavior modes vs just "normal behavior mode" (i played lba2 before lba1 and after having gotten used to playing 99% of the game in sporty behavior without switching to conversate with someone or check a poster/plant etc., having to switch to normal behavior in lba1 just to use your action command got annoying real fast) And i liked that lba2 used a seperate key as your "action" key instead of using the space bar for both "action" and "jump".. depending on your behavior.
one last thing... is the option to save. No doubt that the save option in lba2 was far better than in lba1.. unless you like that checkpoint thing...

anyway... id say keep the controls from lba2 vs lba1. and im all about the retro keyboard controls. keep some of the nostalgia...
Old 2012-01-22, 23:36

What I don't like in LBA2 is the camera. Twinsen always runs for 10 mins, he is getting completely small, so you press enter, the view is good for 3 secs, then it starts all over again !!!!
Old 2012-01-23, 02:11
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
What I don't like in LBA2 is the camera. Twinsen always runs for 10 mins, he is getting completely small, so you press enter, the view is good for 3 secs, then it starts all over again !!!!
I do agree with you on this point. The 3/4 view that lba1 had did make the view a bit easier to tolerate. But after playing lba2 for a while you start to subconciously press the enter key without putting to much thought into it.. in my case at least.
Old 2012-01-23, 08:31
The return of

The control system of LBA is downright horrendous. A complete rethink of the system would open up LBA to a much wider gamer demographic.

An LBA remake isn't and shouldn't be targeted at fans. This is about creating a product that is appealing to the masses. This is about finances, proving the viability of a sequel.

The retro games market is quite a niche one, so it's only natural that an visual overhaul of LBA is in order. I am open to experiencing LBA from a completely different design perspective. The elements that brought LBA to life were really the ability to immerse players in the worlds of Twinsun and Zeelich.

Visually, LBA1 & 2 are both completely different, but many of us here have fallen involve with the series in-spite of the visual differences. The technologies aren't as important as the visual direction.

Regarding the story and sequence of events, I don't see a significant problem with it remaining similar to the originals. I'm sure a sequel could benefit from abandoning the single track mission progress system of LBA1 & 2. RPG elements could be stressed further, opening up the door for individualistic gaming experiences.

My greatest fear for LBA3 is a budget development, unenthusiastic publisher backing, and 2nd/3rd tier game aim. I really hope Fred/Didier pour a significant amount of effort into the series reboot so that once the time for LBA3 comes, there's enough gamer buzz about that the publishers are willing to back up both production and marketing with pen and checkbook at the ready.
Old 2012-01-23, 18:07
<3 MP

Point taken.

I just hope that if fred and didier actually go through with the remake, that they keep the same feel as the originals. There's nothing worse than playing a game that's lost so much of its original appeal and luster that even if the remake was crafted in a superb way, the fans of the prior games lose interest.
Old 2012-01-24, 05:14
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
great point there. Perhaps a 3rd person camera following Twinsen would be great in open spaces, while they could stick with isometrcic for internal spaces. A bit like LBA2, but without the constant need of pressing enter every 5 seconds.
Old 2012-01-24, 10:12
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I agree we all love this game but if you want it to be viable in the future you have to move with the times and implement new controls. You wouldn't say no to upgrade on the graphics so controls are no different! You'll get used to them quickly anyway
Old 2012-01-24, 22:15
<3 MP

screw the future... (except flying cars... cause thatd be awesome)
go keyboard control! old school... i dont have the patience to use a joystick..
ok how about this.. players are given an option to use either an updated joystic control or the option to use the keyboard like before.. there now everyone is happy.

give the gameplay an updated look though.. like the zelda games where the camera follows Link... sort of like what StreGGy said..
Old 2012-01-25, 19:28
~le photographer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelichian View Post
screw the future... (except flying cars... cause thatd be awesome)
go keyboard control! old school... i dont have the patience to use a joystick..
ok how about this.. players are given an option to use either an updated joystic control or the option to use the keyboard like before.. there now everyone is happy.

give the gameplay an updated look though.. like the zelda games where the camera follows Link... sort of like what StreGGy said..
Fully agree on your point... I hate playing with joysticks... And I wouldn't like playing in something like Kinetic (except to throw magicball and punch, because that would be awesome too)

Web | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter
Old 2012-01-26, 00:58

I like how precise keyboards are compared to joysticks. When I first played an fps, I found that the controls weren't good at all with that mouse to turn around.
Old 2012-01-27, 05:36
<3 MP

The way the controls were implemented on the keyboads flowed with the game very well. Made the gameplay very fluid.
Old 2012-01-27, 06:57
The return of

What are you on about? They're not fluid in the very least. You're speaking from the perspective of familiarity. LBA's controls are clunky at best. That's the sentiment of most people who've opened it for the first time have shared with me.

Don't get me wrong, I do love LBA, but that aside, a remake isn't for me, or you, or anyone on this forum. If we alone were to each buy a copy of LBA, it probably wouldn't amount to enough money to cover the cost of the coffee consumed in the process of the remake.

There really are two main aspects to controls that I can think of. The first being the learning curve.

If you've picked up a recent copy of COD for consoles, you'd probably find that familiarizing your self with the controls thoroughly only takes a couple of minutes. LBA on the other hand has a unique turn/advance movement system that requires a fair bit of adjustment. It doesn't conform and unfortunately conformity is quite important in order to grasp the interest of players, particularly those who pick up a demo. Users are impatient, and first impressions are important if you wish to make a sale. I do remember a few friends whom I 'encouraged' (forced) to play LBA never quite enjoyed the whole change modes controls. Ofcourse you had F5,F6 etc... but nowadays every aspect of a game is thought out to a tee.

The second is fluidity. LBA's turn/advance system is quite outdated, and relative to modern control schemes, extremely poor. When I think of fluid, I think of Gears of War, or Assassins Creed. Both allow for extremely quick responsive movements, that are dependent on a few extremely well thought out principles. The fluidity of their controls make navigating their landscapes a joy.
Old 2012-01-27, 12:16

True, once you get hit in LBA, you can't do anything except using a bug to reset your animation.