Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Do you own a smartphone?
Yes, an Android one 22 55.00%
Yes, an iPhone 6 15.00%
Yes, something else 2 5.00%
I don't own a smartphone 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-06-30, 16:31
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Also. I'd like to add: "What's the nearest restaurant? Can I book an hotel online? What's the nearest route to place X?" maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't like to know. Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be planning things on the go and do like any other normal, mature, disciplined person did things in the last century and plan your day early in the morning, or days before. If something is important for you, you should have thought about it. All this commodity, to have answers in a second, actually makes us lazier and less useful as people in a society.
Wow.
Being able to check where's the nearest gas station really saved my ass a couple of times when I was really close to running out of gas and there was no one around to ask.

But wait, maybe, just maybe, I don't want to know where the nearest gas station is, because being stranded is a much better alternative. I should stop being lazy and just walk 5 km looking for gas in the middle of the day, because that's a very productive use of my time
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-06-30, 19:18
Magic Level: Water Ball

Nice post Kobold, do you have anything older ?
Old 2013-06-30, 19:23
Magic Ball Master

It's from xkcd.

I bet it's very easy to come up with something older, maybe even from Roman times. But I can't look right now. All in all we too often think our times are different from the past whereas life has mostly been the same.
Old 2013-07-02, 16:57
Je rêvais d'un autremonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
i didn't see any intelligent conversation anywhere.
i saw you posting one desperate argument after another, and other people explaining to you what is obvious to everyone else on the planet.

btw, about the alienation thing, have you heard of freudian projection?
in your case it would mean that because of the alienation you yourself feel, you see alienation everywhere you look.
Actually all of what you guys said is basically what Marcos said before to which I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Marcos, yes, those are the obvious advantages of such a powerful device. I do not question it is powerful and that it can offer advantages. I question it's role and need in society and the way it is used.
So obviously if you're one of those cool people who know how to use a great and powerful device like this wisely, then you're not part of the percentual of population I am talking about, and if only you'd try harder not to play dumb, you'd realize all this instead of trying to diminish a compliment I gave to everyone here (including your very own response).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Rude...
I am sorry, but actually I was pretty pissed you discarded the documentary I've suggested for all our fellow MBN members with a cheap .gif and found that pretty rude, whereas you could find better answers to the last remark of your post right in there, which is basically what Link told us: there have been, and it would be impossible to measure the damage caused by cellphone poles suddenly popping in everywhere on the planet every 2-3 miles, we'll only know if there are or not any damage from this within 50-100 years, all we know now is that it won't instantly turn us into jelly, but that means very little for something that will affect almost the entire mankind, and is or will be in the hands of almost the entire population.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-07-02, 17:49
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post

So obviously if you're one of those cool people who know how to use a great and powerful device like this wisely, then you're not part of the percentual of population I am talking about, and if only you'd try harder not to play dumb, you'd realize all this instead of trying to diminish a compliment I gave to everyone here (including your very own response).
lolz i'm sorry it's just really hard to take you seriously when you talk about a cellphone as if it were excalibur.

my advice: ease off on the drama, it'll improve all aspects of your life in ways you'd never suspect.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-07-03, 11:33
Magic Level: Water Ball

Sorry, music summer camp, just got home and going away until the 8th

It was awesome btw, we were in a small building with four rooms, and going from a room to another meant a complete change of musical world, all being completely awesome !!!

Everyone should come to that summer camp once in her/his life, at least to listen to the awesome stuff going on there !

Here is a very little part (not much room for uploads) of the teachers repeating the first day when I got there, hurdy-gurdy coming in at about the half
Sorry for the poor quality, I didn't have much to record with
Füred 2013.zip
Old 2013-07-03, 13:11
Magic Ball Master

Sounds fun! Too bad we don't have stuff like that in here, but I wish I can do something like that in the future

The only "camping" I went was when I camped near the forest right behind my friend's house... u.u
It was just some tents and a fire, and we at some good shit.
How I hate Brazil.
Old 2013-07-03, 21:21
Party animal

Heh, that drawing's pretty funny actually.

Anyway sgk, about the puppetmaster thing:

some time ago, after we asked you to leave #lba, you started a thread complaining about the state of the forum (or something of the sort). It was clear you were a bit upset and emotional, yet some time later you come back claiming it was all an experiment, talking like a scientist amused by his test subjects ("interesting...very interesting..").

The thing is, nobody's buying the whole "experiment" story. Like I said it's clear you were upset at the time of writing the thread, and not calm and calculated like you later pretended to be.

A similar thing happened here. You made some very weak points, all of which (unless i missed something) have been thoroughly negated. This isn't a nice situation for anyone to be in, however you chose to deal with it by making it look like you are the whetstone that keeps our minds sharp, which simply isn't what happened here.

What I don't understand is, why not just be yourself?
Why not stop this act of being some mastermind who's pulling the strings from the background?
There's nothing wrong with being emotional, there's nothing wrong with being upset, and there's nothing wrong in being wrong in an argument (unless you're being a knob about it). Just be yourself. People will respect you for it, believe it or not.

It seems to me you're not cutting yourself enough slack. You never want to be caught being wrong, or being emotionally vulnerable. Give yourself a break. The first step is to stop trying to be something you're not.
Old 2013-07-04, 00:45
Magic Ball Master

Why don't we all forget about this thread and move on then? I think it will be the best thing to do here...
Old 2013-07-04, 02:08

And thanks to Marcos, the day was saved!
Old 2013-07-04, 13:40
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Ok, I have cleaned this thread out and separated the topics.
I might have rushed cleaning a bit, so I apologize if I deleted or moved unnecessarily in some case's - trying to separate conversations isn't always possible to do cleanly

Anyway THIS THREAD:
Anything to do with mobile phones, positive or negative that isn't to do with biological risks.

New Thread:
http://forum.magicball.net/showthrea...t=17138&page=2
For any real or hypothetical dangers to our biology, or arguing against those ideas.
(also, ear bacteria infections.)
Old 2013-07-04, 21:52
Magic Ball Master

Thanks for the help Darkflame, this should make us stick to the main topic of the thread ;D
Old 2013-07-04, 22:11

*ahem*. So. Continuing my instigation on the social effects of smartphones previously unseen by mankind until such technology was possible, which was my main topic from the start.

Before, people didn't have a need to constantly take pictures of their food and upload it to social sites like instagram, or tweet about it. Surely I am missing the great advantage of instantly sharing to your online friends about your meals. What does this behaviour reveal about these people?
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-07-04, 22:18
Party animal

you must be really fun at parties.
Old 2013-07-04, 22:55
Neko

people posting pictures of food or their feet, I never got that
Old 2013-07-04, 23:54
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
people posting pictures of food or their feet, I never got that
No one does, and probably no one cares about those (except for the person who posted it or an eventual stalker). People just like to call for atention, and showing that you are eating a good meal is a good way to do so. Specially if the meal is expensive. But even so, its ridiculous to do something like that.
Old 2013-07-05, 00:54

Quote:
You're right, I'm not. Are you?
Old 2013-07-05, 01:06
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
No one does, and probably no one cares about those (except for the person who posted it or an eventual stalker). People just like to call for atention, and showing that you are eating a good meal is a good way to do so. Specially if the meal is expensive. But even so, its ridiculous to do something like that.
Second.
Unless, possibly, its some fancy food you made yourself. If your showing of your own work - rather then a random restaurants - then I might more more interested.
Old 2013-07-05, 14:26
Classic

But if thats friends or family its a bit rude.
Especially if they then say later "did you see my X" post.

Generally, I am interested in what my facebook friends have to say, but I dont care for their food pics. I care even less for their videogame achievements.
It just clogs up my feed. The "noise to signal" ratio is bad.

If Facebook/GooglePlus had ways to tag and filter out posts with certain tags it would be fine.
Old 2013-07-05, 15:49
Party animal

i agree with alipstick. much like with internet explorer, justin bieber or the twilight series, complaining about people uploading pics of their food has become so banal it's shocking people still do it. what is there to say about it that hasn't been said a million times before? i'm honestly curious if anyone will come up with something.
Old 2013-07-05, 15:52
Neko

Complaining is one thing, i don't get bothered with it. I just don't get it. But hey, I am spamming my music everywhere so I should not complain
Old 2013-07-05, 16:00
Party animal

well people have an innate need to communicate and share things with others. one person chooses to do it through blogging, another through music and another through amateur photography.

you could argue that the last person is the least creative of the 3, but there have always been people who are more creative than others in the world, it has nothing to do with smartphones.
Old 2013-07-05, 17:07
Classic

Photograph I don't mind - but I dont think the point of the food pics is that.
I mean it obviously is a photograph, but its not a selective composition, so much as a statement "look what I am eating!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Complaining is one thing, i don't get bothered with it. I just don't get it. But hey, I am spamming my music everywhere so I should not complain
But thats your own creation - to me that makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
i agree with alipstick. much like with internet explorer, justin bieber or the twilight series, complaining about people uploading pics of their food has become so banal it's shocking people still do it. what is there to say about it that hasn't been said a million times before?
No, but by voicing displeasure it hopefully, however small, discourages it being done - or makes people think of technical solutions to stop the problem.
As I said, tag filters would be a easy solution and everyone would win imho.

Remember also those pics arnt just "natural" - its not like someone yelling into space when no ones there to hear - they use up physical space on the page, and thus push more relevant posts down. Theres statistics somewhere that show people rarely look past there first page of facebook updates - so wasted space in your feed means other peoples posts are less likely to be read.
Old 2013-07-05, 17:47
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
No, but by voicing displeasure it hopefully, however small, discourages it being done - or makes people think of technical solutions to stop the problem.
tbh i didn't know it was a "problem", as i couldn't care less about the matter.
i never really expected my facebook feed to be a source for pearls of wisdom in the first place. that said, if someone's posts get too tiresome i just set 'hide this user'.
Old 2013-07-05, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
It just clogs up my feed. The "noise to signal" ratio is bad.
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
I think it's less spammy than "hey listen to my new 3 minutes long music piece" or "hey watch my 20 minutes long review show".
Completely wrong. I'd rather see real things that actually took some effort of their own to make (as DF pointed out, if you made the food yourself, then it's a legitime trivia about someones skills), rather than generic things that would add nothing to my life whatsoever and forgotten the very next second.

Quote:
much like with internet explorer, justin bieber or the twilight series, complaining about people uploading pics of their food has become so banal it's shocking people still do it. what is there to say about it that hasn't been said a million times before? i'm honestly curious if anyone will come up with something.
My approach to this subject is fairly different.

I'm trying to pin-point needs that people have inside them, and were/are only hidden due to technological or other kind of restraints.

In the 90's (or even prior to that), to take a film or Polaroid camera to take a picture of a restaurant dish to show it to your friends later would seem utterly ridiculous and surely grant you a foolish status. Nowadays, it is very much accepted socially and lots of people STILL do it, despite being something everyone complains about like you said.

The food thing is just one example, the first that came to my head.
The point is to identify these needs people have; if we had holographic devices that could transform how you look at the push of a button and you could even download different holograms, probably the next Twilight or Justin Bieber thing like you mentioned would be people walking around the street with a pink unicorn hologram. Dunno.

I just find this very interesting - what is it you'd like to do, that the only reason you don't do is due to a technological restraint? with social networks suddenly there was a boom in getting to know the exact personality traits of different people, just by reading their posts, something that in the past would take long conversations and hanging around with the person.

Smartphones largely take part in this social change.

That's my approach.
Quote: