Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2003-11-22, 02:48
PH34R MY L33T N3KKID|\|35

Send a message via MSN to thursday
Smile ROM query

Hey, i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find a sonic advance ROM? I have a GBA emulator, but cant find SA anywhere. Anyone?

'Bleed with your heart, not with your mind' Coheed and Cambria - An End To a Beginning

'This is a 44. caliber love letter, straight from my heart' Alexisonfire - 44. Caliber Love Letter

Everyone should get The Ultimate Poem And Song Lyrics Thread back on it's feet again!!! Seriously!!!!!
Old 2003-11-22, 04:07
Magic Ball Master

psst...I think this is a request for illegal materials...
Old 2003-11-22, 04:17
Magic Level: Red Ball

Actually it's not,

ROMs are not by definition illegal. ROMs are only illegal if you have never owned the original game. If you have owned it (and not sold it or given it away, ergo if you lost it) or if you still own it you can legally play ROMs on your computer forever.

And even then you are allowed to have them on your computer for 24 hours before they become illegal.

I for instance can play many SEGA Megadrive ROMs legally because my parents shelved out the dough back in the old days when the Megadrive was still state of the art.

However when I had to decide whether I wanted to buy Advance wars II I was only allowed to have it for 24 hours (and now I'm allowed to have it forever, but why bother now that I have the original).

p.s. IIRC downloading a file and having a file stored on your computer is never in and of itself illegal. Some times using it is illegal or sometimes the production and/or distribution of the file was illegal, but simply having the file on your computer is usually not illegal.
Old 2003-11-22, 13:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
While the first part of what you said is 100% correct, the 24 hours bit is an urban myth...its not written down in any laws i have seen anywhere.
(i think it originaly came from video tapes...but then, that was probably a myth too)

That said, there is ocasionaly a huge gap between the law, and whats moraly right.

We cant have GBA demos (well, except for a very small number from GC disks using the link cable), and because we cant have demos theres no true way of testing a game.
So i feel moraly justified in downloading roms, and i buy the ones i like

(I wouldnt have bought Golden Sun 1+2 if i never played the first rom, i wouldnt have bought Sonic either)

Im considering getting Exe Vs Sever 2 now, because of the rom.
Old 2022-02-07, 14:45
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrecht View Post
Actually it's not,

ROMs are not by definition illegal. ROMs are only illegal if you have never owned the original game. If you have owned it (and not sold it or given it away, ergo if you lost it) or if you still own it you can legally play ROMs on your computer forever.

And even then you are allowed to have them on your computer for 24 hours before they become illegal.

I for instance can play many SEGA Megadrive ROMs legally because my parents shelved out the dough back in the old days when the Megadrive was still state of the art.

However when I had to decide whether I wanted to buy Advance wars II I was only allowed to have it for 24 hours (and now I'm allowed to have it forever, but why bother now that I have the original).

p.s. IIRC downloading a file and having a file stored on your computer is never in and of itself illegal. Some times using it is illegal or sometimes the production and/or distribution of the file was illegal, but simply having the file on your computer is usually not illegal.

That's true. As long as the user download and play homebrew/freeware non copyrighted games such as found at ROM Packs and PD ROMs it is completely legal. You need to avoid downloading from archive org since there are a lot of copyrighted games To clarify, you can play homebrew games on your real console or any kind of emulator without risking anything.