Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2012-12-28, 11:53
Magic Ball Master

Yes, I can read the original LBA text file and dump into a single file with any format we want.
I may have it already somewhere in my backup files, but even if I don't I can make it to you no problem.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2012-12-28, 11:57
Magic Ball GrandMaster

That is just great. For my own designing purposes, could you offer me the data format of the quotes in a PM? To understand what fields are there.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2012-12-28, 12:11
Magic Ball Master

Just remember I have requested long time ago a feature to dump game quotes in Zink's Text Editor 2. So it will make that creation even easier since we just need to read an XML file.

I've attached what information we have in the game. Its really few. Don't know if you were expecting connections between text and actors (Twinsen and NPC)
Attached Files
File Type: zip LBA1_English.zip‎ (39.5 KB, 100 views)

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2012-12-28, 12:49
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Just remember I have requested long time ago a feature to dump game quotes in Zink's Text Editor 2. So it will make that creation even easier since we just need to read an XML file.
Ok, sounds interesting enough.

Quote:
I've attached what information we have in the game. Its really few. Don't know if you were expecting connections between text and actors (Twinsen and NPC)
Ah, but that's actually not what I was refering to. This is the game's data, and I was looking forward to the gamequotes already present at the MBN. It has some extra data, and more importantly, unique IDs. It is very important that every quote in the overall dataset receives it's own unique ID, or the Twinsuniverse won't be able to distinguish them. Does the MBN have a public data api for these quotes? This link displays it along with the website interface.

I was really expecting some kind of additional information, even if it were only an internal name to the game of the actor of every quote, but this is just plain text.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2012-12-28, 13:11
Magic Ball Master

You can create your own UniqueID, like MBN has. You just need to think what you actually need.
You can still add an extra info that is actually the Island the text is referring to.

What you won't get is the correlation between quotes and characters who said it. In MBN it is made by us, the visitors, with a form requesting this data.

Now, if you want to use that info already you can try ask El or Darkflame (don't know if he have this access) to make a BD dump (for those tables) so we can import into own temporary table to create the wiki file format.

Old 2012-12-28, 13:25
Magic Ball GrandMaster

What I'm ultimately suggesting, is a complete migration of the gamequotes. I believe I've said this before somewhere, forgot where. So if it is possible, and El agrees in the first place of cource, I would prefer to use the MBN version of the quotes, with correlations and everything. There's only need for one actor per quote, but because the Twinsuniverse already has testible records on those, it doesn't have a need for a multi selection like the MBN offers.

But so it would be best to keep the IDs the MBN appointed to the quotes, to keep the effords at a minimum. They are already referenced at the Twinsunica at numerous places, and if I just change the template, and the IDs remain the same, I could redirect them all in one go.

The real reason why I prefer this, is because the plain text from the game files does not offer me a convenient automation format. If I'm already going to define the actor and island etc for every quote, I better use the quotes that already include those. Or I'll be stuck with modifying every quote manually anyway.

Old 2012-12-28, 13:40
Magic Ball Master

You can use the MBN data, but remember that it doesn't have all you need. Not all quotes have characters data. It will for sure take you less time to fulfill the remaining quotes. But don't forget also that those informations may have errors, quotes pointing to the wrong character.

The only issue I see using the MBN quotes is that I don't know if you can do a direct correlation between the Character names MBN has and the ones in the wiki (they must match probably)

As of islands it will be a direct conversion since each game text file is used in a single island.

We can still extract the actors who says the quotes from the scripts but it will give a lot of effort to create that.

Old 2012-12-28, 13:53
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I know the MBN isn't complete there, I've helped filling in some myself (with KBT-correct spelling). The Twinsuniverse does allow versatile spelling though, because of a redirection feature. Nevertheless, I try to mandate the correct spelling as in the english version of the game, or the french if missing, or their official website if not otherwise publicised.

I'm also not worried about mistakes concerning the right character, because after migration, after a succesful import, we can still edit and maintain the quotes manually like we can now. And when I've designed their new format, it'll include automated maintenance reports as well.

Last edited by J McKalling; 2012-12-28 at 14:01.
Old 2012-12-28, 13:55
Magic Ball Master

Than, we just need El or Darkflame to give us that information to work on.

Old 2012-12-28, 14:02
Magic Ball GrandMaster

By the way, every character, enemy, inventory item etc. already has automated maintenance reports at the Twinsuniverse

Lets just say, if for instance some characters are categorized under a certain category, that we want to rename, remember how the Twinsunica worked there, we now only need to change ONE page, and create the new category. No more iterating through all character articles to "move" them into a different category.
Isn't that cute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Than, we just need El or Darkflame to give us that information to work on.
Aye, it ALL comes down to EL.

Old 2012-12-31, 01:08
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Talking Launch!

Now is the time! Visit the new Twinsuniverse!

Feel free to browse through all the pages, categories, templates if you will, observe and use the new menu, see the new designs I made, and see if you can find out what you think about this awesome new step in history!

I've improved on the Twinsunica a lot, I'm not done yet, but I've set up the basics for you all to see. Have a look, and tell me what you think, what to change, or just ask ahead! Feedback is very welcome, and indeed I intend to listen to every single thing, as we're making this all together for all of us.

I've turned off creating new accounts for now, so you can only read. There's still a lot for me to do (like uploading remaining image files, creating the remaining infoboxes and categories, merging the KB and wikia, etc). For now, please have a look and give me feedback about what you think needs improving. Shortly I'll turn on the login system again and you'll be able to login, edit and improve anything yourselves!

Have pleasure!

Last edited by J McKalling; 2012-12-31 at 10:29.
Old 2012-12-31, 18:37
Magic Level: Purple Ball

It looks really nice! And it has nice features... I can't wait for it to go editable to get my hands on it muahahah
I'll put something about it in the front page of the wikia
Old 2012-12-31, 19:03
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Thanks! I can't wait for others to help out either

But I must make sure all my ideas have been put in place, so no one could do or change things that I already have different plans for... We programmers call them "conflicts".

One of the things that I want to do, or set an example for, is to merge your wikia with it. This isn't very easy to do though, and a lot of work. I'll have to take steps in organizing such a subproject. I've already started to merge the Knowledge Base content from the forums here, but it is really slow and tedious work. Fortunately I can make additional templates to make it easier.

I just created a spoiler for instance, to mimic the one on these forums. And the quotes are going to change as well. All in due time.

For now, I'd appreciate it if you all just have a look and see what you don't like yet, or wish to improve, so I can incorporate your ideas into my plan.

Points of interest:

Old 2012-12-31, 19:24

I know there aren't many people who haven't finished both games, but maybe a spoilers on/off feature? I saw a great one here in this portal wiki: http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Story

I don't know if something ike that could be made

Also, maybe all of the other sites that contain some info about LBA could be listed in the external links, like the encyclopedia Twinsunica, it's old version, the wikia, the KB, the french wikia, etc. This could make it easier to modify the articles until it's complete with the info of all the different places.
Old 2012-12-31, 19:33
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatoor View Post
I know there aren't many people who haven't finished both games, but maybe a spoilers on/off feature? I saw a great one here in this portal wiki: http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Story

I don't know if something ike that could be made
That's actually a good idea, I know there should be an extension that lets you add tabs or something. At least, currently, the spoilers have a collapse/expand link and are initially collapsed. I used the built-in jQuery feature for this, and it's easy to modify the collapsed state of a spoiler.

Quote:
Also, maybe all of the other sites that contain some info about LBA could be listed in the external links, like the encyclopedia Twinsunica, it's old version, the wikia, the KB, the french wikia, etc. This could make it easier to modify the articles until it's complete with the info of all the different places.
I was thinking more along the lines of adding the link to the related articles on the articles themselves, but I haven't looked into how I could automate this if at all. I'll add the different sites to the external links column now.

*Edit:
Added, you can find the other information bases under the "affiliates" heading under External Links on the homepage.

Last edited by J McKalling; 2012-12-31 at 19:40.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:10

Great!

I have a question, what is the purple theme "work" for? Is it for work that has to be done to the twinsuinverse or something like that or is it for something game related?
And another one, maybe there should be a theme for the projects? Or was the theme "Work" for that?
Old 2013-01-01, 15:17
Magic Ball GrandMaster

The Work theme? Nothing really special yet, it's purpose is for the Services subject. But I reccon those theme names aren't really well at all times. Maybe I should change them to their colournames instead.

It's really a darn efford to find the right colour combinations for a new theme. I want to stay inline with the four initial ones from the Twinsunica, and was able to create two more valid ones that followed the exact same pattern (the bugs and fare ones), but I ran out of combinations. So I tried to further expand the pattern, but the result was a lot darker than the original ones (see the play and army one). And the other ones within that new pattern were too similar to the existing themes so I had to discard them. Now I try to find the right way to expand the pattern further but there are just no more combinations left...

I have planned to create infoboxes for users and templates as well, and further improve the one for the help pages. Yesterday I created a basic version of the user infobox, but it's far from final.

What do you mean by projects? In MediaWiki terms, a "project" is the whole of Twinsuniverse, next to wikipedia and wiktionary for instance. There is a category within the Twinsuniverse project category, called subprojects, that lists only the old Recategorization for now. This is where "projects" will be listed.

Old 2013-01-01, 16:02
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I've created a new thread in the Twinsunica forums to continue on the feedback aspect of this thread, here.

For the sake of having everything in the right place, post all your feedback on that thread, and keep this one for the news only