Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2014-04-09, 15:56
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by takashi_maze View Post
And achievements
Yeah, like 12-16 of them?

Quote:
zoomable maps
That indeed.

Quote:
simplified states/commands and mouse/touchscreen control
That's what I meant by "adjusted to mobile devices". It wouldn't make sense on PC.
Old 2014-04-09, 17:48
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via MSN to takashi_maze
Not sure why it wouldn't "make sense". Instead of using fingers, use a mouse. I'll bet they also removed the whole "run into wall, take damage" thing too. It would just be nice if it was on PC in this format, is all. I'd certainly buy it again.
Old 2014-04-09, 22:16
Polly parrot

You can try it out with an android emulator for pc. I use bluestacks, the game runs fin on it.
Old 2014-04-09, 23:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Not sure why it wouldn't "make sense". Instead of using fingers, use a mouse. I'll bet they also removed the whole "run into wall, take damage" thing too. It would just be nice if it was on PC in this format, is all. I'd certainly buy it again.
I'd rather have the old Behaviour feature then the new one for the PC version. Having to click an icon on the top of the screen to go discreet mode with the mouse sounds annoying, and just pressing Tab makes things very easy. The same with inventory and config, obviously.

Also, yes, they removed the "run into wall, take damage" thing. And I'm super glad about it. They had a good intention when they added this to the original version, but it just doesn't work... we players just bump into everything when we are walking to an objective
Old 2014-04-10, 01:03
Polly parrot

But I like that feature
I played so much it doesn't even bother me anymore, and it's fun to watch newbies
Old 2014-04-10, 01:26
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
it's fun to watch newbies
Gee, Polly has actually used a mischievous smiley. What's happening to this world...
Old 2014-04-10, 10:54

Well they don't HAVE to carbon-copy it to PC, they could still use shortcut keys for inventory and behaviour changes . I'll look into using an emulator, though. I didn't realise you could do that
Old 2014-04-10, 11:13
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
Gee, Polly has actually used a mischievous smiley. What's happening to this world...
When I wrote it I actually thought that this is the first time I use that smiley
Old 2014-04-10, 11:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
It would be awesome if they could take the same HUD and widescreen improvements and implement them into a new PC release on Steam or something.
Don't know about going into steam, but make use of that version will be a nice idea indeed.
It can be cross-platform without the need of DOS emulation.

The code was re-written again so I think we should use more of that effort. For example, I think it's a shame all the effort Sébastian made on LbaWin version and we can only use it on Windows, that's a brilliant version that could be used elsewhere.

Btw, did you guys notice that Sébastian has help building the mobile version? He's also at credits.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2014-04-10, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
Don't know about going into steam, but make use of that version will be a nice idea indeed.
I mention Steam purely as a way to implement achievements, but yes any release anywhere of this version on PC natively would be nice.
Old 2014-04-14, 19:00
First time poster

Talking I bought this game!

This game is the best!!!
They shoud make the second one too!!!
I must play that two games again.
But I hope the producers make an LBA 3 for us!
Old 2014-04-22, 17:10
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hooray

Hooray! I love it!
Old 2014-04-23, 04:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Wow...umm...welcome people
Glade to see new fans
Old 2014-04-23, 22:06
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Glade to see new fans

Dat lazy photoshop work.

Edit: Improved the image

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2014-04-23 at 23:24.
Old 2014-05-28, 22:10
pépé's master

LBA has been updated on Android and iOS. The price has been lowered for a limited amount of time. (-40%)

Changelog available here.

Quote:
Added game controller support.
Added a virtual pad control mode.
Added a simple path finding in touch mode.
Fixed some minor bugs.
Keep it crispy
Old 2014-05-28, 23:42
Magic Ball Master

Nice to see the update with some interesting features. I will check during this weekend.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2014-05-30, 13:24
Magic Ball Master

I made a quick check last night and definitely the game deserves a another run. I will play the game again with the new control schema.

The zoom lock feature is quite nice.

Should we need a proper news on the front page?

Old 2014-05-30, 15:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Even basic pathfinding should help a lot.

xesf - perhaps after you get some impressions we should post news, and also it will be time to start promoting it more? Its still had very little coverage in the press.
(Remember LBA still gets put on top-100 PC game lists occasionally, so really this release should make it to the bigger gaming sites)
Old 2014-08-07, 17:01
Polish Pride

Finished it. The interface made it really easy (which will please today's impatient gamers...) and I felt like it was very enjoyable, especially with the basic path-finding update (can't imagine what it was like before!). Overall, I thought they did an excellent job with the controls, it made many parts much easier, especially the majority of the Temple of Bu. The only part I struggled (as would most) is that rolling pin but there's no way to make that part easier without deleting it all together. Having the ability to quit and load very quickly in that section however made it a lot less painful than I remember it being the first time, so instead of taking me hours, it took me the best part of 10-15 minutes.

However I got my sister to play it (8 1/2 years younger than me), and immediately I noticed a huge problem for newcomers: The first part of the game is incredibly frustrating. And confusing. More importantly, it makes newcomers hate the controls before they've even had a chance to get used to them.

The first three doctors (the one on the lift and the two that have the key) are easy enough, and with the interface it's alright dealing with that. The fourth one though, patrolling in the big room that runs straight at the alarm when he sees you, would infuriate anybody who hasn't played it before.

The logical thing to do is to run to the alarm and let him come to you, but unless you've played it before, your first instinct is to go straight for him. This makes Twinsen slowly walk towards him in Aggressive mode and by the time he gets to him, he's at the alarm. Unless your first punch hits him (Twinsen isn't very co-ordinated in Aggressive mode), he takes a swing or two and the alarm is sounded before he can be silenced.

Normally that's not that much of a problem, but because the controls are so foreign, frustration blows out at the controls (even though there's a way around it) and it causes the player to hate the controls from the get go. There is nothing more frustrating in a video game (or arguably in any part of life) than trying to perform a task and failing horribly at it because you simply don't know how to make the character do what you want him to do! It's like playing FIFA and having defenders making stupid mistakes, or strikers that for some reason take an extra touch or just miss, it makes you feel like the game is out to get you, and bad things will happen that are out of your control. It makes the gamer feel helpless, frustrated and ultimately angry at the game, and it's so trivial.

The fact is, LBA is something of an action/adventure/puzzle game, and that last genre means you need to think about how you're going to approach a problem before you just run at it head first. Unfortunately, even at such an early part of the game, rather than be amazed at the interface, which I'm sure the developers spent plenty of time on, they hate it, and find it ridiculous and immediately are looking at it negatively for the rest of the time spent playing. Long story short, unless this is fixed, it's going to be very difficult to get a good review on this game, not because it's bad, but because it leaves a shocking first impression.

Normally the way developers get around this is with a tutorial of some sort, something that is clearly missing in this version of the game and would make it much more pleasing to other audiences. Perhaps some sort of prologue or something? If people understand the controls, I think the masses will love this game. Everything else about it is great, especially the zoom feature. It means that instead of running headlong into a trap, you can see what's ahead and plan a way to attack the obstacle.

Also, I mentioned it was confusing earlier, that was with regards to the "sleep darts" the Grobonurses shoot at you. A simple "ZZZ" appearing from Twinsen (like they are for sleeping guards) or something that tells you you've been knocked out, not killed. It took me a while when I first played it to realise you don't just die from one hit, I was very frightened after I got hit by my first sleeping pill

Thoughts?
not knowing when to laugh or cry,
Break the surface,
and tell me what you really see,
When did we stop believing?
When did we say goodbye?
Old 2014-08-07, 19:09
Polly parrot

I remember my father was stuck on that part with the fourth doctor for a while aswell, but it was on the PC version.
That doctor kinda acts like a mini-boss of some sort, if you can beat him, it means you control the character well enough to start playing the game. Maybe there should be more of a build-up before you face him ?
Old 2014-08-07, 23:34
Classic

Thats really good feedback on the game, good to hear also thats the only real problem and the path-finding now works well enough.

Not sure where best to express your impressions though.
Old 2014-08-07, 23:52
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Not sure where best to express your impressions though.
I'd send it to the DotEmu's Player's Support. They check the mail on a daily basis and seem to be pretty concerned about everything that fans suggest them.

Still, I guess there's no chance to find an efficient way to help the new players... Making a tutorial would probably be too hard and time-consuming.
Old 2014-08-08, 01:04
Polly parrot

Look at us, going all game-designer on this :3
Old 2014-09-01, 11:52
Banned

Great review.
Old 2014-10-06, 23:44
First time poster

I purchased LBA Android for my tablet enjoyed it but the controls do not always work perfect for me. Today i finished the game and watched the end sequence, but when Twinsen and Zoe arrive on Citadel island and they walk to next part of the island, Twinsen walks back to the screen this results in looping the same part over and over again. I think this is a serious bug and i dont think im the first one who had this bug in the game.