Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-08-01, 21:00
Here.

Diablo 3 will let players buy and sell items for real money

PC Gamer Article

Saw this on Reddit today and thought it was an interesting idea. It seems that they want to use an auction-house system in which players can bid real money for items in which the 'house' (ie. Blizzard) will take a fixed-fee cut. I personally think the idea is not a bad one if it will curb people selling items on eBay and whatnot. However, I'm not sure that this approach will do anything to decrease the number of gold farmers or trade spam in the game. That said, it certainly seems to be worth a try.
Old 2011-08-02, 11:26
Polly parrot

Team fortress 2 already did that, but you can only buy items. Are you sure it will be possible to sell them aswell ? And would it be possible to use the money outgame ?
Old 2011-08-02, 15:41
Magic Ball Master

Meh, people have been buying virtual items now for some time. Look at Playstation Home - by all accounts a mediocre, limited, and largely featureless knockoff of Second Life or The Sims. But it rakes in cash like a whore when the sailors are in because people will spend oodles on microtransactions. Oh, snap! I want my avatar to wear an orange prison jumpsuit and uggs! $2.99? Awesome!

I remember laughing when my friend bought WoW gold on eBay. I'm like, fake 'gold' for real money? That is retarded.
Old 2011-08-02, 17:58
Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Team fortress 2 already did that, but you can only buy items. Are you sure it will be possible to sell them aswell ? And would it be possible to use the money outgame ?
FTA: "Diablo 3 will feature an auction house that lets players buy and sell in-game items for real money." So, yes, players will be able to sell items as well as buying them, and the transactions will be for real money.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:45
Polly parrot

But still, if they can re-use that money, there can be a deficit (from the creators's point of view) I think it will be real money, but it will have to stay inside of the game.
Old 2011-08-03, 00:22
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
OK, found myself a new job :P hahaha
Old 2011-08-03, 03:52
Here.

Quote:
But still, if they can re-use that money, there can be a deficit (from the creators's point of view) I think it will be real money, but it will have to stay inside of the game.
Well, it's an auction house system, so the creators themselves aren't going to run a deficit. For instance, if I have "Kewl Breastplate of Not Getting Killed +1" and I want to sell it, I can list it at the auction house, and another player can buy it (say, for $10). The player who bought it then pays the $10 to the auction house and Blizzard then takes their cut (say $1), and I get $9. I would imagine that I can do whatever I like with this $9, including taking it out of the game. If anything, it's going to make money for Blizzard.

Going to become a D3 item farmer, Streggy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Meh, people have been buying virtual items now for some time. Look at Playstation Home - by all accounts a mediocre, limited, and largely featureless knockoff of Second Life or The Sims. But it rakes in cash like a whore when the sailors are in because people will spend oodles on microtransactions. Oh, snap! I want my avatar to wear an orange prison jumpsuit and uggs! $2.99? Awesome!

I remember laughing when my friend bought WoW gold on eBay. I'm like, fake 'gold' for real money? That is retarded.
Yes, this is certainly nothing new, although it is a bit different from things like Playstation Home because it allows players to legally sell their own in-game items for real world cash, as opposed to having to do so via a third-party service, such as eBay.

I think the issue of buying gold/items for real money comes out of a time vs. money balance. Having in-game gold allows you to have fun in the game. Usually, farming/making gold is a laborious process that isn't very fun, so people who want to have fun in the game can spend real money so that they don't have to wait/farm to have fun in-game. I don't think there's anything stupid about it, really. Perhaps impatient, but why should you have to wait to receive enjoyment from an entertainment medium?
Old 2011-08-03, 04:54

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post

Not if you're the one selling it.
Old 2011-08-03, 15:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Not if you're the one selling it.
Haha, that's absolutely true.

There's a sucker born every minute! - P.T. Barnum [apocryphal]
Old 2011-08-03, 20:02
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
Going to become a D3 item farmer, Streggy?
I was just joking, I hate MMORPGs to tell you the truth. I think that playing a monthly fee to play is already enough, I would never buy extras.
Old 2011-08-14, 23:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I lost all interest in Diablo 3 when I heard there was no LAN and persistant online needed even for single player.

Way to kill PC gaming guys.
Old 2011-08-18, 23:17
Polly parrot

Agreed. Internet should never be a "must-have" for a game.
Old 2011-08-19, 23:50

Ubisoft disagrees:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...1#comments-bar

Quote:
The game [From Dust] was scheduled to be released alongside its console counterpart, but it was delayed at the last moment, with Ubisoft promising that it would not require an Internet connection to play after an initial activation. The game was finally released and... guess what? Ubisoft lied.
Old 2011-08-20, 00:17
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

They're really killing games with this online shit. I used to play games in Co-op with another friend of mine. We started on ps2 with GTA and Splinter cell, now we finished Gears of war 1 and 2, Fable 2 and 3... But those are the only decent coop games there are out there. All others have coop aviable only online. Two brothers/friends can't play a game together unless they have the same game and the same console with internet on.
Old 2011-08-20, 00:49
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I am actualy starting to think theres a deliberate effort to kill off PC gaming as much as possible.
Sure, some DRM exists on consoles too, but it seems no where near as bad, even from the same companys.
Old 2011-08-20, 00:52
Polly parrot

.... If that's the case, it doesn't work well. It's too easy to crack a game on PC, they'll never be able to kill PC gaming like that.
Old 2011-08-20, 12:18
Classic

Well, they will.
If everyone just pirates the game because they are pissed of with DRM, then thats no sales. Sure, most things can be cracked, but if you got a half decent connection, downloadings even easier....

Of course, I'm specking of big commercial stuff here. Indie stuff is doing pretty great at the moment.

Minecraft = massive success. Humble Bundles saling more then ever, Frictional Games did fantasiticly well with their last horror game, TellTale not just prooving adventure games still have a market, but expanding and getting contracts from loads of IPs.

Hell, even the people that make Runescape just got a lisence to do a Transformers MMO O_o (Jagex themselves going from a very small company to one of the biggest independants over the last few years, incidently)

The small/indie developers are doing great. And you know what? Hardly any of them use any form of DRM whatsoever.

So I think big-name PC gaming might well be dieing from mostly self-inflicted wounds.
But theres plenty of other companys stepping in to take their place.
Old 2011-08-20, 13:04
Polly parrot

Really ? Indies don' use any form of DRM ? Really nothing ???
Old 2011-08-20, 17:06
Classic

Well, mostly no.
Online games kinda dont need it, of course.

But even offline 1 player stuff doesnt generaly; Penumbra, World of Goo, Braid, And Yet It Moves, Machinarium, Aquaria....to name just a few.

TellTales games (Tales of Monkey Island, Sam and Max) have a really light DRM - one time activation and unlimited installs. No online check after. (and on the disc versions its just a cd check, no online needed at all).

So, yeah, theres plenty of successfull DRM-free stuff out there
Old 2011-08-20, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I am actualy starting to think theres a deliberate effort to kill off PC gaming as much as possible.
It's more than that: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...off_plans.html

Quote:
Really ? Indies don' use any form of DRM ? Really nothing ???
Which is why if AAA Publishers continue on their killing spree, Indie developers will take over the market. Of course it won't last for long.

The concept behind Indies is that they have little to no money. Those that become $$$ successful will no longer be indie.
Old 2011-08-20, 21:52
Classic

True-ish, but they can still be independent which is what really counts. No publisher interferance, they take their own risks.

Also I dont trust that articals conclusions.
Quote:
Apple's tablets have hurt PC shipments
Untill very recently you needed a iTunes capable machine to update or transfere stuff to your iPad. People must have had both,so it wasn't a replacement.

PC sales going down are more likely for the simple reason most peoples PCs have been good enough for a long time. Little reason to upgrade, people keep them till they break. Unless your a high end gamer, or doing complex renders, the difference in spec really doesnt effect much anymore.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2011-08-20 at 23:21.
Old 2011-08-21, 00:51
Polly parrot

You think we've reached a point where the graphics can't improve as much ?
Old 2011-08-21, 01:22
Classic

Not exactly.
My point was more that most people buying PC's arnt doing it to play to-end games anyway, and for almost everything else system power doesnt make any bit of difference anymore. I could be using a netbook for 200euros, or a high-end PC for 2000, as long as I'm just browseing the web or typeing or something, the expirence is 99% the same :P The added power doesnt really help - not even boot times.

That said, I do think game graphics is reaching its limits anyway.

The problem is not so much the hardware, but rather budgets. The more detail you put in, the more manhours it takes, and thus the more it costs. Some improvements like lighting we get "for free", but I think a lot of developers are really struggling to make high-end graphics these days.
Old 2011-08-24, 06:46

In latest news, Blizzard tried to calm down the angry masses by stating that the widely misinterpreted view that "Always online play is to stop pirates" is actually, "to prevent people from cheating."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Says-Blizzard

Quote:
"If we allow an Offline mode, it changes the structure of the data that we have to put on the user's system," Wilson explained. "Essentially we would have to put our server architecture onto the client so that it can run its own personal server." He said that allowing offline play in Diablo 2 had enabled a lot of cheating and item duplication, and the Diablo community had made it clear they didn't want the same to happen with the sequel.
During his closing speech, Blizzard director Jay Wilson added saying, "God forbid that anybody should exercise the right to play games their own way."

In other news, EA released a statement today stating that its attempt to record your keystrokes on your computer, such as when you try to do on-line banking, is simply to improve your gameplay experience.

Just go with it.

Last edited by Lightwing; 2011-08-24 at 06:51.
Old 2011-08-24, 12:54
Classic

yes, its not like they couldn't just have had two types of servers, one for "Anything goes, use your offline character whatever" and another for "pro players, we control the characters to garenty no cheating" etc.