Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-04-28, 16:48
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Yeah, why did you make all that up? :P

Just to let you know, there are hundreds of freeware games that look much better than that stuff...

These games are imitations, copies, like the ones you claim you've done, but they are free, they have something that one could call "graphics", and the makers didn't put any random game developer in the credits.

We're all waiting for some explenation I guess.
Old 2012-04-28, 18:28
Polly parrot

Seeing the answers he got here, I wouldn't be surprised if he never came back...

Hedgehogs
Old 2012-04-29, 14:16
3 Quetches in a tub

You think I'd leave after 5 years because of a few comments?
I'm just going to ignore them..
I wouldn't leave the (mainly) kind people of the MBN because of the few exceptions..
Old 2012-04-29, 16:48
the legend

*sigh*

Rocky, Rocky, you gotta be kidding us, right? if you're troll, then congrats, you made it this far.
See, I'm gonna be nice and explain you the obvious you can't see:

First, we're all kind people here in MBN, including us who posted in your thread, and noone is "ganging up on you". What did you say in your first post? well, this:

Quote:
Have a look..
Thoughts? Changes?

Tell me how it looks, How likely the outcome will be etc...
Well, these are our thoughts. And don't get me wrong, we have nothing personal against you, but it does look like total crap.
And we're not even judging your idea, the gameplay might be interesting, but it's ridiculously presented, understand?

Secondly, you mention Didier's name (which, among us LBA-lovers is a holy name) without any further explaining to defend yourself on what exactly you worked with him? you had millions of chances to show us previous games you worked in, with or without him and all you do is nag nag nag and play the victim.

Well, prepare thyself to be mocked.
Old 2012-04-29, 22:15
3 Quetches in a tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
if you're troll, then congrats, you made it this far.
Check my previous posts. Hardly a troll.

Quote:
It does look like total crap.
I understand this is an opinion and yes the game still has work to be done. Work which consists of level, character, enemy and UI design.

Quote:
Secondly, you mention Didier's name (which, among us LBA-lovers is a holy name) without any further explaining to defend yourself on what exactly you worked with him?
Ok.. So we worked together in 1986 for just over a year for a company called "Epyx" and developed 4 games together. He then went to work at inforgrames while I stayed at Epyx for 2 years until it's closure. Since then he has provided my previous employers with many pieces of free lance art work and we meet regularly to catch up.

Quote:
and would sell each copy of the game for something like 400$ to 650$ if I recall well.
No, you don't recall well.
Old 2012-04-29, 22:30
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Ok.. So we worked together in 1986 for just over a year for a company called "Epyx" and developed 4 games together. He then went to work at inforgrames while I stayed at Epyx for 2 years until it's closure. Since then he has provided my previous employers with many pieces of free lance art work and we meet regularly to catch up.
Good, good, now we're making progress. Not that hard, was it?
See, we just want to help you. And in my honest opinion (and I'm sure the other fellows here would agree), your project don't look serious with these graphics. And by that I mean it looks very amateur, to say the least.

So it would be a really, really good idea to get a friend or someone to make the graphics for you. You don't need to have the game 100% done by now, yet you need something catchy, some eye-candy that would really increase it's appeal.

Personally I am very nostagic and love retro-looking and oldschool games, yet you don't fall in neither categories: because it looks so amateur, even for 90's standards.

Not to mention what Streggy said, the amount of better looking FREE games out there.
Old 2012-04-29, 22:40
3 Quetches in a tub

Now that's constructive thank you.

And I agree completely with the graphics.. They are amateur, I did them.
I'm a programmer not an artist. Update coming soon.. (Hopefully tomorrow)
Old 2012-04-29, 22:54
3 Quetches in a tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliptic View Post
hi!
if you'd like i could help make box art and promotional material?
Avez-vous skype et parler couramment le français?
Old 2012-04-30, 15:15
Polly parrot

Nononon, je suis sûr qu'elle était ironique...
Old 2012-04-30, 23:11
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
You said it
too bad I came to late to laugh at his webpage while it was still there.
You're so desperate to start a flamewar... but just be careful what you wish for, I'm sure you're feeling really strong and superior, but I can see right through people like you. Don't make me make you cry.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-04-30, 23:16
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
You're so desperate to start a flamewar... but just be careful what you wish for, I'm sure you're feeling really strong and superior, but I can see right through people like you. Don't make me make you cry.
now you're just embarassing yourself son.

and anyway, you'd have a hard time defending the position that what he said is wrong.
Old 2012-04-30, 23:21
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
now you're just embarassing yourself son.

and anyway, you'd have a hard time defending the position that what he said is wrong.
I'm embarrassing myself?...

You and StreGGy keep acting like a couple of sarcastic, insecure teenagers who keep using verbal violence to boost your social status on an internet forum. That's more pathetic than trolling. I know everyone are usually being nice to you about it, but the truth is nobody likes you when you do that. At first I thought it was a joke but since it's been going for several years now I'm not so sure.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-04-30, 23:28
the legend

Quote:
I'm embarrassing myself?...

You and StreGGy keep acting like a couple of sarcastic, insecure teenagers who keep using verbal violence to boost your social status on an internet forum. That's more pathetic than trolling. I know everyone are usually being nice to you about it, but the truth is nobody likes you when you do that. At first I thought it was a joke but since it's been going for several years now I'm not so sure.
this is why i don't bother trying to reason with people here anymore.
I wrote a seriously long post in a sincere attempt to communicate something to you people.

and what do you do Rex_Hollywood?
do you respond to any of the points I raised?
do you even acknowledge I said anything?
no, you just repeat the same thing you said like a post ago.

well i think people who have their head so far up their a** they don't even listen to anyone anymore and just go on repeating the same drivel like a mantra are annoying.

so please, try to be more considerate!
Old 2012-05-01, 01:31
Polly parrot

I think Rex only wished pointed out that you were a bit aggressive (by two posts that you must have recognized).
Now, chill everyone. True that this thread didn't start well, but let's settle down, shall we
Old 2012-05-01, 03:57
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Yes, she was definitely joking.
Quote:

1 - You don't know me, I don't know you. → You dont' see through me.
2 - no I'm not looking for a flamewar, I'm just showing how much i'm pissed off that someone puts games like this next to chanfray's name and even tries to sell that stuff.
3 - cry? you don't cry for a flamewar. I hardly cry for shit that happens in real life, imagine something this insignificant.
4 - No, I'm not trying to boost my social status on the internet, I don't even care to have one. Most of you don't even know my real name, and you can't find my nickname that easily on the net, there's too much people called like me.
5 - I do what? And for several years? The only people I ever "flamed" are rocky and some other guy who wanted Fred's email to do LBA3. In both cases I'm sure that I spoke for most of the community here, especially in the second case I mentioned. If you remember something else, please tell me, I'm curious to know what you were talking about
6 - When you post something you've made by yourself, you must expect all kind of criticism,especially if you try to sell it. In the past when I used to post my poor 2d art over here, I've been told by someone that I sucked at it. I took it, and I didn't start a flamear. I've always known that I wasn't that great, considering the real talents we got here, like Jasiek or Pitiflake and many more. Now I got much better learning from criticism. Even that "you suck" helped
7 - All that I do is expressing my opinion. I might do it in an harsh way sometimes, but that happens only when I'm really pissed off. If we're not even free to say what we think, you might as well close all forums of the internet.

I don't aim at starting a flamewar just because we have different opinions: ideas never change by talking, and we'd just end up having this thread closed. I just wished to clear things out.
Old 2012-05-01, 05:08
the legend

... A mod should close/clean this thread.
Old 2012-05-02, 00:30
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

yeah... sorry, I wasn't part of the roofles den section, so I couldn't know he was actually joking. Cheers
Old 2012-05-02, 00:32
Polly parrot

I don't think it was a joke, but neither do I think he thought you would react so violently.
Old 2012-05-02, 00:39
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

I was talking about rex hollywood's posts: all he did was copy-paste a few posts from the roofles Den and replace the actual names with mine and sgk's.

If you thought I was talking about Rocky... no, unfortunately he wasn't joking. And I don't think our reaction was unappropriate.
Old 2012-05-02, 00:41
Polly parrot

...... I was speaking of Rex's posts too...
Old 2012-05-07, 15:06
Here.

Right, to get back to the OP, I think that there are a few main issues that need to be resolved if you want the MBN's support.

1) Some sort of proof of Didier's backing (e.g. his coming on and signing off on this project via the MBN).
2) An explanation of what makes your game different from all of the other puzzle games out there. Saying that it's "extremely addictive" just isn't enough. What sort of puzzle mechanics are you using? What makes the game interesting and exciting? In short, why should people put money down for it?
3) Better graphics. You don't have to be an artist to create a game, but you should get some decent graphics for your game before putting it up on Kickstarter/IGG. At the moment it looks like something that I made in my high school programming class.

If you get those three sorted out, it'll be a good start to getting things off the ground and getting the MBN's support, if that's what you're seeking.