Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-05-08, 22:21
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Aspergers disorder scrapped by psychiatrists!

The APA decided to scrap severl disorders recently, including Aspergers Syndrome.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...mental-illness

Dear MBN'ers! you've been lied to all this time!
Old 2012-05-08, 22:44
weee

The psychiatric bible is just that, a bible. Psychology and (albeit to a lesser degree) psychiatry are not exact sciences. Neurology is an exact science. Psychology/psychiatry bypass the raw material that is The Brain by talking in made-up definitions and metaphors. Which is important since the human mind can't comprehend a complex thing such as ... well, itself. Most people just don't get it.

So yeah, Asperger's syndrome most likely doesn't actually "exist" in the physical reality.
Old 2012-05-08, 23:14
Magic Ball Master

And an observable fact at that!

How is any of this news?
Old 2012-05-08, 23:18
Do the evolution.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...rys-new-bible/
Old 2012-05-09, 00:31
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
The psychiatric bible is just that, a bible. Psychology and (albeit to a lesser degree) psychiatry are not exact sciences. Neurology is an exact science. Psychology/psychiatry bypass the raw material that is The Brain by talking in made-up definitions and metaphors. Which is important since the human mind can't comprehend a complex thing such as ... well, itself. Most people just don't get it.

So yeah, Asperger's syndrome most likely doesn't actually "exist" in the physical reality.
Ofcourse it doesn't exist in the "physical reality", it's a fucking name. All names don't exist in the "physical reality". Amazing stuff.
Also, what is a made-up definition? is there any other kind?
And finally, I'm confused as to what it is exactly that you think you get, but most people don't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobold

How is any of this news?
It isn't meant to be news, this thread is meant to congratulate the population of the MBN!
You can now proudly say, "I am not an asperger! Rather I'm another kind of autist!"
Old 2012-05-09, 01:54
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
TWhich is important since the human mind can't comprehend a complex thing such as ... well, itself.
Reminds me of that famous quote, " If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't. " .
Old 2012-05-09, 11:57
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
You can now proudly say, "I am not an asperger! Rather I'm another kind of autist!"
The whole aspergers hype is bullshit anyway. I went back years after my diagnosis for a second-opinion. By then I was a teenager, with friends and a girlfriend, a hobby, etc. Quite different from being a fucking annoying kid. Which I was.
Anyway they couldn't find any aspergers at all (or as they would say: everybody is autistic but it depends how much boxes you check for it to have an official name). But let me say that again: this was one of the best psychiatrists I could find, I had to wait more than half a year for a few hours of his time. And he couldn't see anything wrong with me. It's a hype thing. Let's just hope that people diagnosed with aspergers get the hell out of their house and socialize, because the only thing keeping them "autistic" is themselves.
Old 2012-05-09, 12:22
Here.

Quote:
The APA decided to scrap severl disorders recently, including Aspergers Syndrome.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...mental-illness

Dear MBN'ers! you've been lied to all this time!
It's not being scrapped, really, just being re-classified under ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders).

@Bot13: As with things like ADHD, Asperger's was undoubtedly over-diagnosed, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people with severe Asperger's out there, and I'm not convinced that "the only thing keeping them 'autistic' is themselves", as you put it.
Old 2012-05-09, 15:16
Party animal

I'd say you're both right in a way.
I have no doubt that a lot of this asperger business is just insecure people who feel more secure once somebody gives their condition a name.

Ofcourse autism is a real problem, and there's probably a lot of people out there who have no control over their condition. I don't think *all* people diagnosed with aspergers have nothing wrong with them, psychiatrists just decided those specific symptoms should fall under another category.
Old 2012-05-09, 17:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
meh, people are people. We are all different anyway in how we act, I never saw much value in labeling anything but the most extreme conditions, as everything else just seems acceptable and healthy variance in a sentient population.

Whatever the nature/nurture reasons behind how we act is, its not necessarily wrong or needing a label unless its something specifically that person would want corrected. (as apposed to everyone else wanting "corrected")

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Reminds me of that famous quote, " If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't. " .
Well, fortunately, theres more then one brain in the world, and with their powers combined, we stand a hope of understanding one of them
Old 2012-05-09, 19:04
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Well, fortunately, theres more then one brain in the world, and with their powers combined, we stand a hope of understanding one of them
Yes, there is such a chance... but you might only get to understand a male one, though.
Old 2012-05-09, 22:13
Neko

would be bad if your income was based on this label
"sorry sir, your illness is no longer recognized. you're cured! "

Old 2012-05-09, 22:14
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
The whole aspergers hype is bullshit anyway. I went back years after my diagnosis for a second-opinion. By then I was a teenager, with friends and a girlfriend, a hobby, etc. Quite different from being a fucking annoying kid. Which I was.
Anyway they couldn't find any aspergers at all (or as they would say: everybody is autistic but it depends how much boxes you check for it to have an official name). But let me say that again: this was one of the best psychiatrists I could find, I had to wait more than half a year for a few hours of his time. And he couldn't see anything wrong with me. It's a hype thing. Let's just hope that people diagnosed with aspergers get the hell out of their house and socialize, because the only thing keeping them "autistic" is themselves.
the fuck? why would you be diagnosed anyway. You're more social than...ants
Old 2012-05-09, 22:58
Look beyond reality.

Don't know. But I became a bit skeptic when it comes to people being diagnosed with psychological "illnesses".
My gf teaches english at a high school and most students with dyslexia try to get away with not learning or applying grammar rules, blaming their dyslexia. It's madness to see how these labels makes them so lazy and demanding. They actually believe they can't learn to write a capitol "I" (as in: me) mid-sentence.

Dumb people let dumb people label them.
Old 2012-05-09, 23:19
Neko

Oh she's a fulltime teacher now and graduated and all? Cool

But yeah, never thought about it actually....stay away from labels
Old 2012-05-11, 02:33
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Has any of you tried to search a similiar article in your mother tongue? It seems like the internet wants this news to be read only by english speakers. Anyway, that's huge.
Old 2012-05-11, 16:33
the legend

Quote:
Ofcourse it doesn't exist in the "physical reality", it's a fucking name. All names don't exist in the "physical reality". Amazing stuff.
You're wrong, silly! Some names do... for example:

https://royrajabally.bandcamp.com/
http://lapichon.deviantart.com/
Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-05-12, 18:12
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Old 2012-05-16, 17:18
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I've often wondered about this. I can't say I have any friends who study psychology to chat with on this matter, but I'd be interested on opinion as to whether the prevalence of autism diagnoses over the past two decades or so is because a.) more people actually having autism or b.) people are finally being properly diagnosed whereas in earlier eras they would not necessarily be labeled autistic. This comes into play a lot when the debate over autism and the allegations that vaccinations can cause autism comes up. Any thoughts (not just for you, Bot, but your post intrigued me).

Quote:
Don't know. But I became a bit skeptic when it comes to people being diagnosed with psychological "illnesses".
My gf teaches english at a high school and most students with dyslexia try to get away with not learning or applying grammar rules, blaming their dyslexia. It's madness to see how these labels makes them so lazy and demanding. They actually believe they can't learn to write a capitol "I" (as in: me) mid-sentence.

Dumb people let dumb people label them.

This I can speak to a bit more authoritatively. It's a two-fold problem. Kids aren't stupid, they know how to work the system. It's just a part of growing up, you're going to push boundaries and see how far you can go. If someone gave you a reason why you didn't have to do coursework and you didn't feel like doing it, you'd play that card all day long. I once had a student who was diagnosed with a learning disability, and he was the smartest kid in my class by far. But because of a deal worked out between the school psychologist, school administration, and his parents, he didn't have to do any homework, coursework, etc. This sort of rationalization helps to create a society full of people who use these types of labels as a crutch, which only hurts people who are legitimately in need of help. And that speaks to the second issue. School administrations have become fixated on labeling and identifying students and taking immediate (and oftentimes permanent) changes in terms of their curriculum. I get the idea that diagnosing a legit learning disability early is something like early diagnosis of an illness - you want to do what you can to make sure the problem doesn't grow larger. But sometimes, students can be misdiagnosed and placed on a inappropriate curriculum path simply because they were improperly analyzed early in their lives.

Last edited by Double-J; 2012-05-16 at 17:25.
Old 2012-05-19, 10:39
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
- ... because a.) more people actually having autism or b.) people are finally being properly diagnosed whereas in earlier eras they would not necessarily be labeled autistic.
It's a good question. However the vagueness of the diagnosis makes it so easy for people to be labeled autistic. I was told "Everyone is partly autistic, it's how many boxes you tick that makes you get the official label or not". Now I think that's the shittiest way for any diagnosis. What am I saying; it's not even a diagnosis at all. What's the threshold on this thing, 6/10 boxes and poof you're autistic, 5/10 and you're good to go?

It's very simple: some people are very good at social stuff because they work their asses off at keeping their social networks intact and being approachable. They get jealousy and envy in return: "You with your stupid popular behavior, beh!". Notice how the cause of their popularity is being shoved to some mysterious force/fate/something outside of themselves. They get no credit. Same goes for people that are the complete opposite: the loners, sitting in the corner of the classroom. Can't be bothered with social stuff whatsoever, because it's "hard". Let me tell you: it always requires effort. Even the popular, social-able people have to put effort into talking with other people. And the more you do it, the easier it gets. But it's always hard work to have a lot of friends and to be seen as "likeable". I think I made my point: the keyword is effort, and "autists" embracing their social isolation, and thus not putting any effort in changing their situation, are wrong.

Note: I'm not saying autism doesn't exist. I'm saying at least half of them could benefit from not being labeled and being active and putting some god damn effort in their daily lives.

Quote:
This I can speak to a bit more authoritatively. It's a two-fold problem. Kids aren't stupid, they know how to work the system. It's just a part of growing up, you're going to push boundaries and see how far you can go. If someone gave you a reason why you didn't have to do coursework and you didn't feel like doing it, you'd play that card all day long. I once had a student who was diagnosed with a learning disability, and he was the smartest kid in my class by far. But because of a deal worked out between the school psychologist, school administration, and his parents, he didn't have to do any homework, coursework, etc. This sort of rationalization helps to create a society full of people who use these types of labels as a crutch, which only hurts people who are legitimately in need of help. And that speaks to the second issue. School administrations have become fixated on labeling and identifying students and taking immediate (and oftentimes permanent) changes in terms of their curriculum. I get the idea that diagnosing a legit learning disability early is something like early diagnosis of an illness - you want to do what you can to make sure the problem doesn't grow larger. But sometimes, students can be misdiagnosed and placed on a inappropriate curriculum path simply because they were improperly analyzed early in their lives.
Schools are turning in to companies nowadays. Over the past years, teachers worldwide are somehow magically qualified for management functions, because nobody wants to face that actual managers are required and hire them. If you're gonna pose as a school that only has an educative purpose/goal, at least do a good job on the "posing" and hire managers to take a look at optimizing the system for optimal profit.
Old 2012-05-20, 00:27
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
It's very simple: some people are very good at social stuff because they work their asses off at keeping their social networks intact and being approachable. They get jealousy and envy in return: "You with your stupid popular behavior, beh!". Notice how the cause of their popularity is being shoved to some mysterious force/fate/something outside of themselves. They get no credit. Same goes for people that are the complete opposite: the loners, sitting in the corner of the classroom. Can't be bothered with social stuff whatsoever, because it's "hard". Let me tell you: it always requires effort. Even the popular, social-able people have to put effort into talking with other people. And the more you do it, the easier it gets. But it's always hard work to have a lot of friends and to be seen as "likeable". I think I made my point: the keyword is effort, and "autists" embracing their social isolation, and thus not putting any effort in changing their situation, are wrong.

Note: I'm not saying autism doesn't exist. I'm saying at least half of them could benefit from not being labeled and being active and putting some god damn effort in their daily lives.
It makes me wonder how much of it is related to the piss poor nature of most grammar schools, and in some cases, parents too. When I was a kid, I remember that we went to the playground, or to a park, or to a sports field, or to a mall, etc. where interaction was part of the experience. This is just my opinion, of course, but it seems like isolation has become considerably easier with the proliferation of the internet, sort of like an enabler.

I took a glance at what some websites considered to be signs or traits of autism. Kind of scary...they're pretty ubiquitous (if you take them one by one). It's like when first year med school students read their textbooks and then think they have every disease ever known to mankind. Like you said, I think many people have some of those traits in varying degrees.
Old 2012-05-30, 20:07
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Well, the good thing about the existence of this diagnosis is probably that people who feel like kind of "outsiders" and discover that they have aspergers, might find it easier to deal with their problems when they find out what's "wrong". And also, they can interact with other aspergers people and help each other through life.

But as Bot13 says, there is probably a downside as well, in that it can kill off your "drive" completely (as in the dyslexia example).

In the workplace, it is probably good to have asperger btw (if you're not doing a work where social or public relations are important...). Aspergers people are more focused on their area of expertise, will generally work very hard, and are usually quite intelligent.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:50
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Coincidentally, a couple of years ago I had awful pains all over my body, and no doctor knew what it was, until one doctor recognized it as Fibromyalgia. Then I read about this thing, and found out that this is also one "syndrome" dismissed by some doctors.
I guess I just went to the wrong doctors then...
Old 2012-06-02, 15:35
>:C

Send a message via AIM to Mouserz Send a message via MSN to Mouserz Send a message via Yahoo to Mouserz
Its funny that assburgers was considered to be a real thing at all.
Old 2012-06-11, 04:35
Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouserz View Post
Its funny that assburgers was considered to be a real thing at all.
Really? There are definitely people with pretty debilitating asperger's syndrome. Also, it still is considered to be a real thing. It's just being reclassified under the autism spectrum.