Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2007-12-15, 22:30
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
LBA1 on PSX

did any of u guys try it ??? does anyone have it ??? cause I want to tell u that I find it very different from the PC version regarding file format and engine ... I mean the HQRs differ A LOT, some files have different extensions ( VOX -> VAX ), they don't use the all-so-common LBA font and they have some VERY COOL extra things like a 3D Adeline Logo, etc. also, the graphics are somehow different ... I can't tell if they are better or worse, but it's something that makes them very different and when I say this I refer to the gourad shadings ... any other opinions on the PSX LBA1 ???

EDIT: now that I had a second look, graphics are MUCH WORSE !!! take a look for yourselves :

"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles

Last edited by Quetch; 2007-12-16 at 10:07.
Old 2007-12-16, 00:00
Magic Ball Master

I guess it's hard to create screenshots of the PSX version?
Old 2007-12-16, 00:34
Twinsunian Quetch

nope, I can make them very easily it's just that now I'll go to sleep so until tomorrow meanwhile, if any of u have this version, feel free to comment it
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-12-16, 10:08
Twinsunian Quetch

ready !!! just look at the first post as I've managed to update it
Old 2007-12-16, 11:06
Magic Ball Master

well yes you're right
the graphik is s***
but these eyes look better then the originals from LBA1 for me

And by the way: why did they make a new box-style for the inventar etc the original LBA-style of that was light-blue: top and left dark blue: bottom and right wasn't it?
Old 2007-12-16, 11:09
Twinsunian Quetch

yes it was, but as you have already noticed, the user interface is TOTALLY changed

PS: these days I'll try and bring the PSX Twinsen into the PC version cause I really like those LBA2 eyes
Old 2007-12-16, 12:49
Idyllic + whimsical

Maybe it's because you're using an emulator, when I played LBA on my PS1 it didn't look that bad.
Sure, things are a bit "fluffy" but nothing terrible.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-12-16, 13:01
Twinsunian Quetch

FB2K : the graphics looked the same using 4 different Video emulation plugins including D3D, OPENGL, Software, and thousands of possible adjustments to the quality of the image
Old 2007-12-16, 14:40
Magic Ball Master

Twinsen's eyes got better, indeed. But I don't want to play this on my big TV screen.
Old 2007-12-16, 14:53
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
One good think about the PSX LBA1 is that you can save at any time. The thing I find the most annoying, though, is that the music automatically stops whenever a character speaks.
Old 2007-12-16, 15:09
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
FB2K : the graphics looked the same using 4 different Video emulation plugins including D3D, OPENGL, Software, and thousands of possible adjustments to the quality of the image
What does this have to do with it?
Did you actually try running it on a PS1?
Old 2007-12-16, 20:57
Twinsunian Quetch

uhmm no but I've played thousands of other PSX games on my emulator and they all looked 2-3 times better than on an actual PS1
Old 2007-12-16, 20:59
Idyllic + whimsical

There are some exceptions I guess.
On my PS1 and PS2 LBA doesn't look that blocky.
Old 2007-12-16, 21:09
Twinsunian Quetch

could be but that's because LBA1 was kinda odd for the PS1 ... I mean it's quite an awful port as far as I can tell ... it's like it wasn't meant to be on a console ... Adeline had its own engine which didn't really went well with the PS architecture ...
Old 2007-12-16, 21:24
Magic Level: Red Ball

What the hell are you talking about?It's a great port,except if you're playing another game.
And the graphics are better than LBA 1,it's just the resolution of the PS1 that makes them look a little blurry or whatever.

Old 2007-12-16, 21:38
Idyllic + whimsical

It is indeed a great port with good extras, the controls are perfect (back triggers from the moods, it fits perfectly), there's the addition of quick save and on-the-spot saving, and also no getting hurt from walls.
Old 2007-12-16, 22:56
weee

Uhm just a note here, an actual PS1 has a really really low resolution. Emulators actually work better than the real thing.
Old 2007-12-16, 23:05
Twinsunian Quetch

exactly, plus I can make it have texture filters and all sorts of graphic enhancements
Old 2007-12-17, 00:04
Idyllic + whimsical

Apparently they don't work better on some games.
It's not all about technical specs of machines, emulators aren't perfect.
It's very simple, I actually played LBA on a proper PS1 - and a PS2 as well, if that matters somehow - and no way that it looks as bad as in those screenshots, so until you actually try that on your own you should take the word of someone that knows better, k? ;)
Old 2007-12-17, 00:55
weee

K. But I think it looks bad in those screenshots because of the scaler method.
Old 2007-12-17, 01:03
You what?!

At least the 3D Twinsen on the CD looks pretty cool.
Old 2007-12-17, 01:11
weee

I remember always thinking, "Doesn't it bother him to stand without pants on this reflective CD?"
Old 2007-12-20, 04:45
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Is it just me or does the psx version lack music aswell? I play it on my PSP thinking: this sucks where's the music..
Old 2007-12-20, 09:26
Twinsunian Quetch

there is music on the PS1 version except I couldn't hear it
Old 2007-12-20, 10:57
Banned

I haven't found the PSX version yet.