Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2004-02-21, 15:15
formerly just angry

Graphics/Monitor Problem

OK, this isn't directly related to LBA but it is driving me nuts. I just installed a Geforce 2 AGP4x card into my new Duron 1400 system to replace the onboard S3 card (which was crap), but now a whole new set of issues arise. In some modes, the screen jumps (gets smaller or bigger sometimes quite erratically until the monitor goes off by itself) and flickers all over the place. My monitor is a Daytek DTC 1548 (which Daytek no longer support or even recognise exists). However, the problem is not present all the time. For instance, there is no problem in Windows XP boot at all! I have put the results of my investigation into a table below. The headers Auto, & CVT mean Auto selection, and co-ordinated monitor timings. The refresh rates have all been locked at 60Hz (the max this baby can support). X means a problem - means no problem.

.....................................Auto.............CVT

Desktop 640x480x32.............-.................-
Desktop 800x600x32.............X.................-
Desktop 1024x768x32............-................-

Half Life 640x480 OpenGL.......-.................-
Half Life 800x600 OpenGL.......X................X
Half Life 1024x768 OpenGL......-................-

Half Life 640x480 D3D.............-
Half Life 800x600 D3D.............X major artifacts
Half Life 1024x768 D3D............- but major artifacts

Half Life 640x480 Software.......-
Half Life 800x600 Software.......X
Half Life 1024x768 Software......-

3DMark2001SE also has problems with 800x600 mode but nothing else. It is also notable that when I turn my monitor off during computer use, when it comes back on, the screen is severely darkened and distorted. The only way to remedy this id to change resolouution then change back!!! What is going on? Help!

Last edited by the_angry_; 2004-02-21 at 15:34.
Old 2004-02-21, 20:28
Magic Ball Master

Maybe the cooler on the card is broken, making the card overheat when displaying 'hard' things on the screen, resulting in artifacts. Try cooling it with an extra casefan temporarily and see if the problem persists.

[edit] on second thought... your problem is typically an "out of range" monitor problem. Try exchanging the monitor with a better model, it might be seriously crappy.

Last edited by wacko; 2004-02-21 at 20:35.
Old 2004-02-23, 14:28
formerly just angry

The 'crappy monitor syndrome' was my hypothesis as well! Will have to wait to get a new one though cos I aint got any money. Ah well. Thanks for the help
Old 2004-02-23, 15:56
Magic Ball Master

You could borrow someone else's monitor in the meanwhile, if only just to check if the problem really is the monitor.