Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-11-19, 17:28
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Question Backing up my files

Hmz..

My beautiful songs collection has recently reached 7,000 songs, and to celebeate the event, I decided that it's really time to back up all the files .

However, I know almost nothing about backing up.... So, can anyone recommend me please a good (and preferabbly cheap ) way to back up a large amount of files?
Old 2004-11-19, 17:30
Look beyond reality.

Wasn't it the program 'ghost' that did giant backups..?
Old 2004-11-19, 18:28
weee

Use WinRAR, back up all your music files into a RAR archive with highest compression. This operation may take some time though.

That's the best way I know
Old 2004-11-19, 18:30
formerly just angry

Buy a cheap second HDD (or even better dig out an old one) and screw the messing about with compression. Alternatively I have an unused tape drive - shame its a bit far to post

You could also try using Windows Backup utility - or if you are feeling particularly flash you could create some variety of RAID 1 or RAID 5 system
Old 2004-11-19, 18:33
weee

Also, in WinRAR you can split the RAR file to equal sized parts (let's say 700mb each part) and burn them on a few CD's. Whenever you want to restore it, copy all RARs from all discs you burnt back to your computer and unrar them. Then you'll have your files back.
Old 2004-11-19, 18:33
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
Use WinRAR, back up all your music files into a RAR archive with highest compression. This operation may take some time though.

That's the best way I know
What's the use of Raring mp3's?
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2004-11-19, 18:35
weee

Didn't think of that.

So use "store" (not highest compression) and split to 700mb each part. That way it won't compress it, but make a splitted archive which you can burn on a few discs.
Old 2004-11-19, 18:49
formerly just angry

Nero has a built in CD backup feature. The trouble is that CD burning is quite slow (both to write and access) plus once you have backed up you need to chuck everything (unless you're careful and use incremental backups) next time you back up. With a RAID 1 system the backup would be constantly happening so you wouldn't need to worry
Old 2004-11-19, 19:29
LBA fan

morshem just wants to backup his files, he doesn't want to setup an expensive and possibly complex RAID array. And it's easier to just grab a bunch of CD-Rs than to find buy a new (or old) HDD and install it.
Creating split RAR files and burning them would be harmless and easy.
Old 2004-11-19, 19:34
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
If you plan to get a CD-MP3 player (freestyle/stereo/car) you could just skip the RARing and burn the files as they are.
Old 2004-11-19, 20:11
Look beyond reality.

No, I don't want you to buy expensive things, but a DVD-Burner is just such a bless from god, I got one right here. and a DVD kosts +/- 5 'euro's', (don't know howmuch you should pay for it) but you can probably backup all your mp3's on one or two of those DVD's
Old 2004-11-19, 20:19
weee

Bottom line:
Download WinRAR.
After installed, "Add to archive" the folder with all your songs.
In the parameters: choose "Store" as compression method. choose "RAR" as Archive format. In "split to volumes, bytes", enter "734003200". Press OK.
This will make an archive with a few parts, 700mb each.

Burn each part into separate cd.

Have Fun
Old 2004-11-19, 21:03
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur
morshem just wants to backup his files, he doesn't want to setup an expensive and possibly complex RAID array. And it's easier to just grab a bunch of CD-Rs than to find buy a new (or old) HDD and install it.
Creating split RAR files and burning them would be harmless and easy.

I was mostly musing - but backing up using winzip and cds is incredibly inefficient if you plan to backup on a more regular basis from now on. I will certainly be setting up a SATA RAID 1 array (drive mirroring) or better next time I upgrade as I had a very bad hard disk crah recently which has reminded me of the importance of backup
Old 2004-11-19, 21:10
Magic Ball Master

I don't see the use in creating RAR archives for MP3. The amount of space saved by compression, even on max, is very minimal since MP3 is already heavily compressed by itself. Really, it's not worth it. Also, say you have 10 CD's with a 10-parts archive of 700 MB each, and you lost one CD, the rar would be heavily damaged.* And to access the actual MP3's you'd need harddisk space to go through a long decompression time in order to finally have your MP3's playable again.

(* if you lost a data cd with a file compilation instead of using splitted RAR archives you would lose about the same amount yes, but at least you wouldn't get extraction errors etc.)

No, I'd suggest to burn them just as files on a data cd compilation if you were going to burn it to a bunch of cd-r's. You'll be able to store about 150~200 songs on a 700 MB disk, depending on MP3 lenth/quality, so with your 7000 songs archive it would take quite a bit of cd's. Buying a dvd burner and use 3.8 GB cd-r's should do 1000~1500 MP3s each, I guess that would make more sense in a collection your size. Also a second harddisk would be very easy.

the_angry_: RAID1 is not a backup, it only saves you for harddisk crashes. In case your software or you yourself make a mistake, your data would be evenly wiped out on both disks.
Old 2004-11-19, 21:12
weee

Read my last post again, using "Store" as compression method doesn't compress at all, it just stores the files into the RAR archive. This is the neatest way to back up a large amount files.
Old 2004-11-19, 21:15
Magic Ball Master

I really don't see the use. If you burn your MP3s directly to CD you have them instantly accessable as soon as you pop in the CD, and using winrar archives would only save like 5 MB at most per disk since we're talking about small files.
Old 2004-11-19, 21:25
weee

emm.. MAY BE SO!
Old 2004-11-19, 22:13
Still in a dream...

Buy a DVD burner or HDD MP3 Player.
Old 2004-11-19, 23:13
Look beyond reality.

Quote:

emm.. MAY BE SO!
wtf?!
Old 2004-11-19, 23:28
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
He in grim fandango if im right which i am cause i checked today

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2004-11-19, 23:51
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
OK, thanks for the suggestions .

I'll need at least 30 700-MBs CDs for that....
Old 2004-11-19, 23:56
Look beyond reality.

D--V--D << magic
Old 2004-11-20, 00:49
Still in a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem
OK, thanks for the suggestions .

I'll need at least 30 700-MBs CDs for that....
Not to mention patience and time burning them... to get make sure you dont lose quality, you want to burn at no more than 16x... not fun. Just get another hard drive (20GB, they're very cheap.) and shove it on there.
Old 2004-11-20, 01:17
formerly just angry

Quote:
the_angry_: RAID1 is not a backup, it only saves you for harddisk crashes. In case your software or you yourself make a mistake, your data would be evenly wiped out on both disks.
Hmmm that is true. I was assuming that the backup was in case the HDD crashed. ALthough a user mistake of deleting 7000 files must be quite an achievement. I suppose if you dont want the files on your HDD it does pose a bit of a problem. However, for the less than half the price of a DVD burner you could buy a decent 60GB HDD and just back up to that then you'd have immediate access, easy incremental backup facilities, and possiblilities for future expansion.
Old 2004-11-20, 02:06
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

emm.. MAY BE SO!
GLOTTIS!!!

*hus CF*